Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Potential alternate paper

Hello. I use probably 90% stampin up. I like using the white shimmer paper with Brushos and Bisters. But, at $9.00 for 10 sheets, it's a little pricey since I end up experimenting a lot. So, here is my question. Is there an alternate product that is similar, but less expensive? I feel funny asking. It's like wanting a Mercedes at a Yugo price. But there you go. Should I just bite the bullet and buy several packs of SU white shimmer or is there something else to try? Thank you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If I need a lot of sheets, I buy from another source. Sorry, I cannot remember who I last ordered from though. I'll try to figure it out and report back unless someone else responds first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

https://www.cutcardstock.com/collect...hite-cardstock

I think this is where I ordered before but I also think that Curious Cryogen White can be obtained from other sources. This place is almost three times the sheets for pretty much the same price. They will send you samples.

Hope that helps in some way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for posting this info on a comparable product to SU Shimmer cs. The link you provided calls this cardstock Curious Metallic Cryogen White, 89# stock. I used that name to do a search on Amazon and found it available for $20.40 for 50 sheets, free shipping if you have Amazon prime.
I did read comments that people made about the product and they liked it....one commenter asked if the seller could send a sample and they said they could! This might be on my list to do. :cool:
Thanks for the link and the info!

Ps - I have ordered from cutcardstock.com before (most times through Amazon - they were the seller). Product always shipped quickly and arrived in pristine condition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the links and info on this paper. I have been looking for a good source in this color. The weight is good for layering too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you all using this - or the SU version - to get a little sparkle in your background and/or behind your watercolored/brusho�ed/etc�ed images? Do you ever die cut it too? Enable me, please?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

There are some techniques that need the coated paper that Cryogen white (and Poison Ivory, if you like vanilla color) are. What comes to mind is the one where you emboss an outline image with white, wet thoroughly and float the colors in the sections of the image. Here's a video:
I'm sure there are other techniques for coated paper that would work well on the shimmery cardstock.
I do like stamping on it, because it gives a nice background shimmer.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you, Diane. I’ve used watercolor paper and plain glossy CS for the same type of technique with watercolors or ink. (I learned from videos, certainly not coming up with the idea myself.)

For Ocean County Stamper, when you’re experimenting, would it also work to occasionally use inexpensive glossy cardstock without the sparkle? That’s sort of like how sometimes when figuring out a stamping design, I test on copy paper, knowing it will go in the recycle bin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 01:14 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Michael's has shimmer paper in 3 colors. The first link is to the silver & champagne which comes in one pack: Recollections� Signature Shimmer Cardstock Paper Duo

This link is to the white gold shimmer: Recollections� Cardstock Paper, White Gold

It is gorgeous paper; I love using it, especially since you can use a 40% coupon and get a pack of 100 sheets for $9.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 04:36 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Michael's has shimmer paper in 3 colors. The first link is to the silver & champagne which comes in one pack: Recollections� Signature Shimmer Cardstock Paper Duo

This link is to the white gold shimmer: Recollections� Cardstock Paper, White Gold

It is gorgeous paper; I love using it, especially since you can use a 40% coupon and get a pack of 100 sheets for $9.

It really is gorgeous - my bff back east and I split a pack of the white gold before I moved. I still have some. I needed shimmery purple for a Halloween card, so I covered the piece I needed with my purple Bic MarkIt marker, and it worked beautifully, so there's that tidbit, as well...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #11  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Recollections shimmer papers are beautiful! They are thinner (not thin) than my stash of SU Shimmer cardstock. That isn't an issue since I wouldn't use either as a cardbase.

And, as Sue mentioned, it is easily colored and retains its shimmer (probably wouldn't with Distress Oxide or similar inks).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you all! SCS is so terrific. I have ordered some of the curious cryogen to try and am going to also try the Recollections brand. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Office Depot carries different Neenah papers. I bought a package of different colored shimmer paper. Beautiful shades for Christmas cards. This is a layering weight, not card base weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
Office Depot carries different Neenah papers. I bought a package of different colored shimmer paper. Beautiful shades for Christmas cards. This is a layering weight, not card base weight.

Nice!

FYI and sort of OT for those who want card base weight Neenah, big box office stores generally don't carry it. They carry a line called "Exact Index," a lower quality. "Classic Crest" (often in Solar White) is the line you often hear/see recommended and which is used by many card makers. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So true Beth. Awhile back I saw 110# Neenah at OD and started doing the NayNay.
After I checked the gsm and noticed the diff label, I realized not the same as classic crest Solar white.
I’ve been receiving packages of classic crest Solar white 110# with all the sheets fuzzy on one or two sides of each sheet.
I purchase cardstock from one of our favorite companies, but they are not doing the actual trimming to 8.5x11.
I’m hoping the company I purchased from is working with their supplier to correct this for future. They asked for photos and agreed not supposed to ship that way.
I did not ask for replacement on my 7 packages, figuring I could file all the fuzz off.
But, I was refunded in full.
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes