Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default Is it possible to cut a silhouette from a detailed die?

I'm not sure if that title makes since. My hope is that I can use my vintage camera die (Sizzix) to create chipboard covers. The problem is that it has a bunch of holes in it and I just want a silhouette.

Is there a way to do that? Thanks!

http://elvesintheattic.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
Proud Fan Club Member

The only way that I can come up with is to trace around it and cut it with a craft knife or heavy-duty shears. Maybe someone else is more inventive and can make a suggestion...

Denverkat276 likes this post.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:56 AM   #3
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I don't think you can stop the die cutting out those holes but could you stick the finished die cut to a sheet of reasonably lightweight paper, putting the pieces back in to the holes as you go? Then trim round the outside with a knife or scissors. Depending on what look you're going for, you could even give the whole thing a coat of acrylic paint to help it look even more cohesive. You'll end up with a textured surface but no actual holes, IYSWIM.

My blog
jjhere likes this post.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:02 AM   #4
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ahh - just had a lightbulb moment for something that may or may not work!

Will your die go into your machine in both directions (sideways on and end on)? If so, you may be able to go round and cut each of the four sides, one at a time. Roll the die into the machine until it just "bites" so you're cutting the first edge and then reverse it out of the machine and turn it through 90 degree. Put it through so it just cuts that next edge and reverse it out. Repeat for the remaining two sides.

I don't have the die and it's a bit hard to tell from a picture of it whether any of the "holes" are close enough to the edge that you'd struggle to cut edges without getting the start of the hole as well but if your machine will take the die both ways it's worth a go with a bit of scrap (try a cereal box) to see if you can get it to work.

HTH!

My blog
buggainok and jjhere like this post.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
Insane Embellisher

Great ideas! Thanks! I'm experimenting with cutting it (and making sure all the pieces stay together) and then coating it with Mod Podge and then acrylic paint. I think, to be on the safe side I'll put a rectangle of CS on the back side so none of the pieces pop out with use.

http://elvesintheattic.blogspot.com/
Old 08-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Polyshrink Goddess

Just a thought, but could you cut the die from chip board and use the negative as a shim? Maybe that way it would only put pressure on the outside cut edge? You would probably have to play with the tabs on your platform and add a further shim, but it might work.

Or if that doesn't give you enough pressure right over the cut line, maybe trace around the die on chipboard and hand cut just inside the line to make a shim. If it works and you are making a few, it might be worth the time. I hope that makes sense.
jjhere likes this post.