Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PLEASE HELP! VINTAJ BIG KICK NOT CUTTING

I'VE watched videos until I'm blue in the face. And, that's not easy on my computer because it takes FOREVER for them to load. Anyway....

I have a VINTAJ BIG KICK. I bought it at the beginning of September and just now got around to trying it out. I have been able to use Embossing Folders, no problem, but SPELLBINDERS...I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a stroke.

Below is a list of the pieces I have. I cannot make my machine CUT OUT anything made by Spellbinders. NO Nesties or Shapeabilities. Listed below are the pieces I have to work with.

The machine came with a platform...NOT THE ONE with Tab 1 and Tab 2. Just the platform and a thin plastic layer that hooks into it.

I have two clear plates.

I bought the "No More Shims" mat, a thick piece of rubber.

I've been trying to add one to three "chipboard" type layers and an Orville Redenbacher popcorn box flattened out.

No combination of any of the above will cut out my Nestabilities. What am I doing wrong?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS. I'M SO FRUSTRATED.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I think you use the regular Big Kick/Shot sandwich for nesties: Big Shot FAQ by militarystampingmom at Splitcoaststampers

Videos: Spellbinders Universal Dies - YouTube

Sizzix Big Kick Vintaj Machine by Sizzix Ellison - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I found this for the older style Big Shots:
Splitcoaststampers - Tutorials

It sounds like your platform & thin plastic is the same as the multiplatform which is prehinged (and takes up a lot of room when open).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

After reading the tutorial, if I were to guess, I'd say you'd use the platform with the thin plastic, topped with a cutting mat (the one you will cut into), cereal box, nestability (cutting side down), cutting mat. If not thick enough, then add a layer of chipboard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I will check out the sites that you both have provided. My questions though is...how can my little think piece of plastic be the same thickness as the multipurpose tabs? I think that's why I'm having problems. But, I'll check out these sites and work on it tomorrow.
Thanks, girls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

My multipurpose platform measures 1/2" in thickness.
Tab 1 is the thickness of a thickly laminated piece of paper, like the maps teachers use in school.
Tab 2 (which lays on tab 1) is a piece of plastic. Together, Tab 1 and Tab 2 add about 1/16" thickness to the platform.

Adding some info from my platform:

Platform (no tabs): For embossing with Texturz plates with thick materials like chipboard.

Platform & Tab 1: For Texturz plates when using paper of cardstock thinness or thinner. Also for Sizzix Embosslits, Clearlits, Sizzlits and Simple Impressions embossing folders.

Platform & Tab 2 For the Wafer-Thin Die (thinner than a Sizzlits die).

It looks like you will have to buy a Wafer-thin platform addition separately. So your solo platform must be like my "no tabs" portion and your solo plus the thin plastic shim must be like my platform and Tab 1.

Last edited by melissa59; 11-15-2011 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Added platform info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I only have the older tabs platform. However, I read that if you have the newer single platform "without tabs" you need the Solo Wafer thin adapter for thin dies like Spellbinders . It is an extra purchase.

http://www.sizzix.com/product/657160...in-die-adapter
You may need to search for it , because they are out of stock on the Sizzix site

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 11-15-2011 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Thanks, everyone. I've cut and pasted your responses to a Word document and will check everything out after Thanksgiving. I appreciate all your help.

Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Ravioli Girl...
According to Sizzix, to cut the wafer thin dies like spellbinders you need the Solo wafer thin die adapter.

The 6 1/4" x 13" x 1/8" Solo Wafer-Thin Die Adapter is for use with the Solo Platform & Shim to create a sandwich for accommodating Framelits as well as competitors� wafer-thin dies. The diagrams on the Solo Platform & Shim and Solo Wafer-Thin Die Adapter offer easy guidelines about how to make the perfect Sizzix sandwich.

By the way, the thin sheet that hooks onto your solo platform is equivalent to Tab 1 on the older multipurpose platform. The wafer thin die adapter is equivalent to Tab 2 on the multipurpose platform. You need to use BOTH.

Sandwich:
Solo platform
Solo shim (the thin shim you have)
Solo wafer thin die adapter
Clear Cutting Plate
Spellbinders die, cutting side up
Cardstock
Clear cutting plate

Then run all that thru your bigshot. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

The problem with trying to shim with chipboard layers is that chipboard has some give to it and the die will press down rather than cut. You have to have the hardness/firmness of that wafer thin die adapter.

HTH
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Diane,

Thank you soooo much. Adding this to my info. Looks like I DO have to buy an extra pad. I appreciate all your research!

Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for info:

The Vintaj Big Kick is just styled in "looks" for the Vintaj line of Brass Jewelry... kinda like how they styled the "Hello Kitty", Tim Holtz, (except it's electric) etc. It's really just the Big Shot in different clothes. On the Vintaj site (or You-Tube) if you look at the videos, they use the Big Shot in them... I have used the Big Shot with great results. I have the older platform, and a long time ago, I unscrewed all the shims... it's so much easier to use that way for me. If one looks around like on overstock.com, you can find the Big Shot onsale for as low as $49 plus $2.99 shipping at times. You can also use embossing plates from Ten Seconds Studios for embossing thin metals in the Big Shot. Ten Seconds has videos on their site and You-Tube also....

Hope this can help someone....
Faith

Last edited by it'smefaith; 11-20-2011 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: adding Ten Second Studios
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Thanks, Faith. I think what I'm going to do is look for the platform that comes with the Big Shot and use that in my Big Kick. They had one on Joann's website, but it was out of stock. When I signed up to be notified when it was in stock, I asked if they were truly going to carry it again because I heard it was being phased out in favor of the "Solo Shim platform." They assured me that it was an item they intend to carry. So, who knows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2011, 03:07 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Actually, I just got to reading Diane's post again and I think I'll go shopping for the "Solo wafer thin die adapter." Looks like it's about $10. That would be less expensive than a whole new "tab style" platform." Thanks everyone. I've copied all your answers. I appreciate everyone that contributed. It takes time to give advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
Actually, I just got to reading Diane's post again and I think I'll go shopping for the "Solo wafer thin die adapter." Looks like it's about $10. That would be less expensive than a whole new "tab style" platform." Thanks everyone. I've copied all your answers. I appreciate everyone that contributed. It takes time to give advice!
Good idea!
Cost is cheaper and you won't have to be flipping these tabs!
It's convenient to have them attached, so I won't lose them. But flipping them open means I need that much more area clear on my table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I only have the older tabs platform. However, I read that if you have the newer single platform "without tabs" you need the Solo Wafer thin adapter for thin dies like Spellbinders . It is an extra purchase.

Sizzix Accessory - Solo Wafer-Thin Die Adapter | Sizzix.com
You may need to search for it , because they are out of stock on the Sizzix site

Barbara Jay...I wanted to let you know that I finally ordered the "adapter" platform and it arrived today. Hope to try out my Nesties tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for your help in figuring out what I needed to do to use Spellbinders with my new Vintaj Big Kick. It's so pretty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

I am ready to return the Vagabond to Joann's and they can keep it. The little "shim" won't stay attached when it is run through and yes it is anchored in the clasps. It will not cut my Spellbinders dies........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pottedferne-

Sorry you are having problems with your Vagabond. I really like mine. Watch the Tim Holtz tutorial video where he states that the thin shim will shift and eventually need to be replaced. Try putting your material to be cut a little back from the front (not even) this might help the thin shim from buckling so much. I know it does shift some but if I do this, it doesn't come completely loose from the thick platform.
Reply With Quote Likes