Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #1  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Photopolymer Stamps

Hi fellow SCSers!

I finally had a recent chance to use one of the photo polymer stamps from a Paper Pumpkin kit. I was really impressed with how well it took ink (dye ink but I don't remember which brand). I also got a great impression on the first try!

So ... I am now willing to give other photopolymer stamps a try (I have some "clear" stamps that are from respected companies but the one or two brands I tried gave me fits so I usually stick with rubber.)

What I'd love to know is which companies you like, especially if you also like SU.

TIA and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,852 Posts

I love Paper Smooches, The Stamps of Life, Hero Arts, Lawn Fawn, and Gina K Designs. My first clear stamps were Hero Arts and I love them. Then I began trying other companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Penny Black clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been impressed with the Close to my Heart polymer stamps. The first set I bought was pumpkins that were basically solid except for the section line and the cutout faces. Used some Colorbox Chalk ink that I had and the impression was great.

The Stamps of Life are also good. Stephanie Barnard tells you on many of her stamping videos, 'Don't ever let me hear that you sanded your stamps!' She's right, I have not had to 'treat' my TSOL stamps to get a good impression.

Peach Keen and My Creative Craft Time are also good because their stamps are thick firm polymer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #5  
Linking Queen

Thanks for the replies! I almost forgot I have uninked CTMH stamps. *** Crafter 4 Life - Have you used dye inks with them? If so, can you give feedback on brands you liked or didn't like. I love Colorbox chalk ink but sometimes do not want the matte finish, kwim? ***

My only Gina K stamps are rubber and I love them. Might have to try a set in photopolymer.

I don't think I've heard of Stamps of Life ... will do a search asap.

I like a lot of Penny Black images but thought there were issues with her clear stamps. *** buddy'smama - are you using recently purchased stamps? Hoping any possible quality issues are resolved! ***
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My Favorite Things has great stamps. I own a lot of them. Also, of course, Paper Trey has great quality if you like their style.

Paper Smooches is also great. I love whimsical stamps and Paper Smooches has very cute ones!

I am so spoiled by clear stamps and being able to see where I'm stamping, that I seldom use my rubber stamps any more, and everything I buy now is clear.

I nearly always use Versafine Onyx pigment ink and get really crisp images with all my clear stamps.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

One thing about Stamps of Life and Paper Smooches (yes, I agree about the quality). . . their shipping costs are so reasonable that if I want to order just one or two stamp set/die set(s) it does not kill my craft budget. Stamps of Life shipping is only $1 for shipping one item and PS is $2 minimum shipping (although they do also offer free shipping with a minimum purchase) for shipping in the U.S. Of course, they do not ship with delivery confirmation but I have never had a problem with my orders. Oh, and both ship so fast I have my order in no time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Hero Arts "poly clear" stamps have always worked well for me and I love Waltzingmouse Stamps too (now available for shipping from the US). My dye-based inks tend to be Adirondack so those are what I'm using on photopolymer stamps. I use Distress although not so much for stamping but those have been OK, too. If you look at other inks I've used Versafine, Versacolour and Brilliance with good results.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I like the others that were mentioned, but I also like Technique Tuesdays stamps too. Have a lot of them. Clear stamps are what I like to buy now.
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #10  
Linking Queen

I knew I'd get fantastic responses!

I have at least one pad of all the types mentioned so far ... plan to try them all. That leads to another question: how to safely clean the stamps? I usually use as alcohol-free baby wipes during the stamping process and then a scrubber with cleaner (either SU, TAC or Judikins) before putting them away. Staining doesn't bother me until it is hard to see "new" ink so I also have StazOn cleaner and a really good one (by Judikins?) I purchased from Marco's Paper. Will try yo find it later ... need to get ready for work soon.

*** Bugga - I should have some MFT stamps somewhere because I qualified for one when I made a card stock order. Perhaps I better concentrate on getting my stash somewhat organized LOL! ***

Continued thanks for all the input!

Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Another vote here for Versafine- It seems to stamp extremely well, no matter whether your stamps are rubber of photopolymer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I've used Versafine, Memento and MFT dye/hybrid black inks with my polymer stamps. All have resulted in nice stamped images.

I have been using Memento and the MFT black when I will be coloring my image with Copics and neither have bled. Love the Versafine especially for sentiments because it stamps such a clear, crisp image. Also, use Versafine when I will be coloring with a medium other than alcohol markers. (Copics or ultra-fine Sharpies)

These are my findings.

Have a crafting friend who as gotten some Simon Says ink pads and just raves about them. She says they work well with Copics. Might have to order a black pad for Copics coloring. I am always on the lookout for a black ink that is really dark for coloring the images.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 07-28-2014 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: Add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
Staining doesn't bother me until it is hard to see "new" ink so I also have StazOn cleaner and a really good one (by Judikins?) I purchased from Marco's Paper.
The thing to avoid with photopolymer stamps is a solvent base so leave the Stazon cleaner (and Stazon ink) in the drawer when you clean this sort of stamp and you should be fine. You won't see any problem in the short term but there's a possibility that those solvent-based products degrade the polymer over time so they're best avoided.

I tend to use alcohol free baby wipes for all my stamps, polymer or rubber. I'll occasionally wash stamps with clear water and a little bit of mild soap if they've lost their cling. For the inks I use, I don't seem to need anything else.

Chalk inks have more of a tendency to stain polymer stamps than other inks so if you're concerned about staining over time, try concentrating on other ink types, I guess.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I am always on the lookout for a black ink that is really dark for coloring the images.
If you have Brilliance Graphite Black, try that. It's my go-to when I'm colouring with Copics and want a black outline (I use Adirondack dye ink in Espresso if I want something a wee bit softer). If you're at all concerned about it smudging, a quick blast with a heat gun is useful but TBH, I don't find it necessary.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I have always found that the Stampavie stamps, even though they can be very detailed, stamp beautifully and give a good impression every time.
I too have heard a couple of people comment on issues with Penny Black clear stamps, but I have several sets and haven't ever had a problem. I got the 12 days of Christmas set about 4 years ago and have used it quite a lot and it still stamps well and shows no sign of deteriorating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the replies! I almost forgot I have uninked CTMH stamps. *** Crafter 4 Life - Have you used dye inks with them? If so, can you give feedback on brands you liked or didn't like. I love Colorbox chalk ink but sometimes do not want the matte finish, kwim? ***

My only Gina K stamps are rubber and I love them. Might have to try a set in photopolymer.

I don't think I've heard of Stamps of Life ... will do a search asap.

I like a lot of Penny Black images but thought there were issues with her clear stamps. *** buddy'smama - are you using recently purchased stamps? Hoping any possible quality issues are resolved! ***
Aww...too bad! What issues did you have? I have several of Penny Black's clear stamps, while they aren't photopolymer (they are acrylic) they have stamped wonderfully for me-very crisp and clear. I was burned by some very cheap acrylic stamps and was a little gun-shy to try the Penny Black clear stamps but have had great results even with Memento dye ink. It does look like it bubbles up on the stamp but once you stamp it, it all smooths out...or at least it did for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #17  
Linking Queen

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
The thing to avoid with photopolymer stamps is a solvent base so leave the Stazon cleaner (and Stazon ink) in the drawer when you clean this sort of stamp and you should be fine. You won't see any problem in the short term but there's a possibility that those solvent-based products degrade the polymer over time so they're best avoided.

I tend to use alcohol free baby wipes for all my stamps, polymer or rubber. I'll occasionally wash stamps with clear water and a little bit of mild soap if they've lost their cling. For the inks I use, I don't seem to need anything else.

Chalk inks have more of a tendency to stain polymer stamps than other inks so if you're concerned about staining over time, try concentrating on other ink types, I guess.

I do know about steering clear of StazOn cleaners with clear stamps. Was wondering how to clean excess/built-up ink but don't really think it will come to that.

Good to know about chalk inks and staining because I remember reading that they work well with clear stamps (although I know many inks also work well).

If ink build-up should become an issue, does anyone know of safe, effective cleaners?

TIA and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #18  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
Aww...too bad! What issues did you have? I have several of Penny Black's clear stamps, while they aren't photopolymer (they are acrylic) they have stamped wonderfully for me-very crisp and clear. I was burned by some very cheap acrylic stamps and was a little gun-shy to try the Penny Black clear stamps but have had great results even with Memento dye ink. It does look like it bubbles up on the stamp but once you stamp it, it all smooths out...or at least it did for me!
I haven't tried Penny Black T for Transparent stamps but read about issues. Will definitely consider giving them a try based on feedback in this thread.

LOVE all the helpfulness of SCSers!

Happy Crafting!
Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #19  
Linking Queen

Still checking out the suggestions but found a set I like by Altenew Birthday Bash ? Altenew) so am seeking feedback about this company.

Thanks for the continued input!

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

I love the stamps from Elemental Doodles. They will be coming out with new ones soon, too.

http://www.elementaldoodles.com/

Last edited by Peg's; 07-29-2014 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Link didn't work correctly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

CTMH, Paper Smooches, and Penny Black have all worked very well for me. I have found that VersaFine ink gives me the best results. I've used Archival Ink, pigment inks, and Palette Inks too. The permanent inks, as well as some of the pigments, will stain the stamps. Some stain worse than others, and the permanent ink never comes completely off the stamps, even with permanent ink cleaner, but I've learned to let it go. I've stopped buying the $1 stamp sets, because all they do is frustrate me. Have fun stamping, Tina! We have to get together for a playdate soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 05:32 AM   #22  
Linking Queen

Thanks for all the replies! I am glad to no longer be frustrated by clear stamps ... eventually this will help with the craft budget. Hoping to have some time tomorrow to look for my MFT stamps and have fun with them.

Happy Crafting!
Tina

PS: Jeanette - I'll try to send email tonight! We absolutely need as some crafting time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 05:46 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

I do know about steering clear of StazOn cleaners with clear stamps. Was wondering how to clean excess/built-up ink but don't really think it will come to that.

Good to know about chalk inks and staining because I remember reading that they work well with clear stamps (although I know many inks also work well).

If ink build-up should become an issue, does anyone know of safe, effective cleaners?

TIA and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
A soft brush (like a soft toothbrush) and mild dish soap work very well. I make up a little bowl of warm soapy water, toss the stamps in, pick up one at a time to brush gently, then rinse with cool water and lay out on a towel to air dry. Make sure that the dish soap doesn't have bleach or anything (plain old-school Ivory would be a good option)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #24  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
A soft brush (like a soft toothbrush) and mild dish soap work very well. I make up a little bowl of warm soapy water, toss the stamps in, pick up one at a time to brush gently, then rinse with cool water and lay out on a towel to air dry. Make sure that the dish soap doesn't have bleach or anything (plain old-school Ivory would be a good option)...
Thanks Sue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I only purchase photopolymer stamps now, and I LOVE them. Not all clear stamps are created equal, so I do tend to purchase from certain companies:

lawn fawn, paper smooches, papertrey ink, mama elephant stamps, wplus9 designs, and waltzingmouse stamps are probably the majority of my collection now.

I recently switched to PTI inks, and I really like them for coverage. Also, here's a tip I found on a board. Before inking up your stamp, rub your thumb all over it. The oils in your thumb will help the ink to cling consistently. It works for me!

Enjoy!
mary rose
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post

Yes, the chalk inks do tend to stain the clear stamps. I'm one who doesn't care how my stamps "look" if they stamp well. When the clear stamps become stained, I think it's actually a plus, because you can see the image better that way when you are looking for a particular stamp.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #27  
Linking Queen

Thanks for the continued responses!

*** maryrose - I will try to remember the thumb tip. Hadn't heard before. Thanks!

*** Bugga - I also don't care what a stamp (or any other tool) looks like as long as it performs well. Staining indeed can be an advantage as long as the stamp still accepts ink. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a few of the new Hero Arts ink pads, and they also stain the photopolymer stamps. They do provide a nice coverage, though, and I like their colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #29  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I have a few of the new Hero Arts ink pads, and they also stain the photopolymer stamps. They do provide a nice coverage, though, and I like their colors.
Good to know since I like them too (or think I will ... they are still on wish list LOL).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

I LOVE the quality of Stampin' Up!'s photo polymer stamps and the great detail. CTMH I have had issues with yellowing badly, even the ones I have never used. I have some other brands that are very flimsy and tear easily when trying to carefully remove from acrylic blocks. I also am wondering about stazon ink with the photopolymer....and cleaning it off.....the stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2015, 01:53 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuthiemarykayView Post
I LOVE the quality of Stampin' Up!'s photo polymer stamps and the great detail. CTMH I have had issues with yellowing badly, even the ones I have never used. I have some other brands that are very flimsy and tear easily when trying to carefully remove from acrylic blocks. I also am wondering about stazon ink with the photopolymer....and cleaning it off.....the stamps?
Ruthiemarykay, don't use Staz-on cleaner on photopolymer stamps. The opinion on Staz-on ink seems a bit divided, some say it's fine, others say avoid it. I can only say in my experience, It's never done mine any harm, although It's rare I use it on mine, unless the surface I'm stamping on requires it. But the gathered wisdom is that the cleaner is very bad for them- if you've used it on them in the past, I'd say stop, and maybe wash them with ordinary dish soap.
The problem is that not all clear stamps are phoyopolymer-whether or not they are seems to generally be reflected in the price, I find. The more expensive ones are usually photopolymer, and are more rigid, solid stamps. The ones that are quite soft and squishy are usually cheaper, and tend not to be photopolymer, but types of acrylic, I believe.
I'm hoping someone will pop in with advice if I'm wrong, .
Any ink staining on your stamps won't harm them, but I do remember reading somewhere, it may have been on here, about using a Versamark inkpad to clean them on. Stamp onto the pad, and then off onto scrap.
Reply With Quote Likes