Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paper Trimmer Agony

I have been on a quest for a new paper trimmer. I've been using the small Fiskars since I started stamping 6 years ago. My step-mother bought me the Carl trimmer but I think the paper has a tendency to dip down on the right side off the trimmer and it makes uneven cuts. So last week I bought a Cutterpede. The blade didn't run smoothly on the track, it seemed really hard to push. Disgusted, I took it back today and traded for the Making Memories trimmer. I loved the big metal working space and the magnetic ruler. Awesome! However, after cutting about 2 sheets of cs the trimmer started chewing through my cs making jagged cuts. There were bits of cs in the track where the blade runs. Tried using my hobby blade to get them out. Nothing helped. What is up with this? Now I really am disgusted and I'm taking it back. I guess I"ll stick with the Carl or maybe upgrade to another Fiskars. My Fiskars blade at least always runs smoothly. I am just upset about wasting my time and money and don't understand what's so hard about making a paper trimmer that works well.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 03:12 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

No answers or suggestions - just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear you're having problems and I understand your frustration!

I'm using an old Fiskars - the one with interchangeable blades and blade storage on the base? I heard they do not make it any longer and I wondered why because it's wonderful and has been very reliable.

So like you, I don't know what's going on with cutter manufacturers and why it seems so hard to make them work well and still be easy to use.

Hoping you can get a good one soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 03:23 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

I have the Creative Memories cutters that work fine for most paper. I bought a cutterpede so I could have the option of a decorative edge, that was a waste of money. I ended up buying a Tonic guillotine style with the 6 !/2" base for east carry. This thing is awesome!!! When I started buying PTI cardstock I needed a no nonsense trimmer and that's what this is!!!

http://store.scrapbooking-warehouse.com/tonic

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Default Creative Memories Tools!!

All the way...can't beat their tools. I have found nothing else that works better or I like better!

Give them a try!

[email protected]

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post
I have been on a quest for a new paper trimmer. I've been using the small Fiskars since I started stamping 6 years ago. My step-mother bought me the Carl trimmer but I think the paper has a tendency to dip down on the right side off the trimmer and it makes uneven cuts. So last week I bought a Cutterpede. The blade didn't run smoothly on the track, it seemed really hard to push. Disgusted, I took it back today and traded for the Making Memories trimmer. I loved the big metal working space and the magnetic ruler. Awesome! However, after cutting about 2 sheets of cs the trimmer started chewing through my cs making jagged cuts. There were bits of cs in the track where the blade runs. Tried using my hobby blade to get them out. Nothing helped. What is up with this? Now I really am disgusted and I'm taking it back. I guess I"ll stick with the Carl or maybe upgrade to another Fiskars. My Fiskars blade at least always runs smoothly. I am just upset about wasting my time and money and don't understand what's so hard about making a paper trimmer that works well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 04:33 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I am just upset about wasting my time and money and don't understand what's so hard about making a paper trimmer that works well.
Amen Sister...I have been on a quest for years for the perfect paper trimmer...it is even a joke at my house. Just how many paper trimmers will mom buy before she finds a good one! My youngest daughter said to me just yesterday, with all the money you have wasted on cheaper ones, you could have bought a "Genesis" (sp?) by now! She's probably right :mrgreen: !

Seriously, how hard can it be to design one that gives you straight cuts...I would even blame myself if it didn't happen all the time. OYYYY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 04:36 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I use the fiskars trimmer and it works pretty well for me. But, you know? I bought a purple cow trimmer and to be honest...I don't like to use it much b/c it's a little awkward for it's size but, I think it works very well. It cuts through paper like 'buttah' as my BIL would say...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 04:47 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I've been using the Cutterpede and I liked it really well until the time I dropped it and the extension arm broke off. When I researched replacement parts for it to purchase, I did not see the extension arm as an option so I e-mailed the manufacturer (EK Success) and they sent me two replacement arms free of charge. However, since I replaced it I do not get straight cuts anymore and the measurement is off just slightly. It is very frustrating because I do have the different shuttles to get the different edges as well and therefore if I switch to another brand of trimmer those will go to waste but because the company was so good to me, I guess I'll purchase another Cutterpede when it is on sale or with a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I also have been on the same quest. I have read every thread on SCS and I still cannot find one that cuts straight or doesn't eat my paper. I have tried several different ones and I still go back to my fiskars. I have a creative memories one that is great with their paper, but if you use it for heavier paper it does not cut.Hopefully someone out there will design the "perfect one" soon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 04:57 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Default paper trimmer..

I have bought 5 cutterpedes and 4 small ones for my crafting group..have been using them for over a year and LOVE them...my one arm finally broke, I'm surprised it lasted that long with tons of people using them, not really taking care of them, but I have had no problems with them, sometimes user error, but I love that the blades can change...maybe try another one.. I also have a large fiskars guillatine ? cutter I use when cutting large items or large number of them, not crazy about it paper tends to slide and not an accurate cut,but it is ok most of the time. I have the Creative memories little one for smaller projects and making borders around small items
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

I've tried them all, too. I like my Creative Memories one, but it doesn't work as well with thicker paper. I think it was originally designed to cut photos, not heavy cardstock. I go through blades too fast with it. I finally broke down and bought a Tonic cutter(with the 12" base) about a year ago and I love it!!! Perfect cuts every time! I can even cut chipboard with it! I never have to sharpen the blades or replace them. My 5 year-old can use it! No sharp edges to cut little fingers. As long as I hold down the little paper guide, it cuts straight every time. I don't know what I would do without my Tonic cutter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 05:47 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have to laugh because for a minute I thought this was my post from waaaay back. I had the same dilemma, started with Fiskars, bought a Carl, then back to Fiskars, unhappy for the most part with all of them. Then I bought a guillotine style paper trimmer and have never been happier. Works so much better than any other style trimmer I've tried. Take the plunge and invest in one, if you cut paper a lot, you will not regret it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 05:58 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

What about the one that SU! sells for $49.95? How does that work? Don't have it but I heard that it's great.
Check out my Gallery:
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...00&ppuser=9245
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been 90% happy with my Making Memories trimmer until yesterday. The bottom lip has shifted so that it's not at a 90 degree angle to the blade anymore. Cuts can be off as much as 1/8" if I don't try to adjust. Anyone else have that problem? Aside from that, it's been great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I feel slightly better this morning reading all of your posts because at least I know I'm not just jinxed and a lot of other people have had the same issue. Misery loves company right? I am not familiar with the Purple Cow or Tonic cutters so I'll have to do some research. Creative Memories doesn't sound like a good option for me since I cut a lot of SU! and PaperTrey Ink cs and it's pretty heave. I am not opposed to the guillotine style cutter, just haven't used it before. One thing I did really like on the Making Memories cutter was that magnetic ruler. If I buy a new cutter that has a metal base I am going to look for a magnetic ruler. It worked great for keeping the cs in place while cutting.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Location: Currently, in the United Arab Emirates--about 45 miles north of Dubai, in Ras Al Khaimah

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my Tonic trimmer. I have the one with the 6.5 inch base, and it's the same as the guillotine that SU sells.

I only have 2 complaints with it. First, there's no marking at 6.25, and that's a measurement I use frequently for matting 4x6 photos. No biggie, I just measured and made a mark myself with my Exacto knife. The other problem is that it's hard to make cuts under 2" or so. You can go so far--taking a cut at 10 rather than trying to take a 1 inch cut, but when you get down to a small piece of paper, you're kind of out of luck. I switch back to the Fiskars at that point, or more likely, I go with a ruler and craft knife.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the one that SU sells for $49.95 and I love it! I have never had an issue with it. I also have the other one that SU sells by fiskars. I don't use that one other then for scoring. The blade wears out after a few cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I went through the same trouble finding a good trimmer. I finally bought the Tonic (same as what SU sells) and I love it!! It has never let me down. Worth every penny. It's a guillotine cutter so the only downfall is that you can't make cuts in the center of the paper like you can with the Fiskars, if you know what I mean.

Other than that, the Tonic is by far my favorite tool that I have. (And I have a lot of tools. lol!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Been there done it! I finally ended up with the Tonic 12inch Guillotine cutter. I found it at Joannes.com on sale about a year ago (I think it was around $35 delivered). I have been very happy with it. The only thing it doesn't do well is cut itsy bitsy thin lines of paper, so I have my old Fiskars with the replaceable blade for that. The Fiskars didn't work so well with 12 X 12 paper and I had a hard time making sure I was getting a straight cut, but for the occasional small trim job, I grab the Fiskars, futz with it and get a thin cut.

Good luck with your quest!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post

I have this trimmer, too and love it. You can take the cutting apparatus apart and clean the track. At the top of the trimmer is a red button that you slide. Then you can remove the entire cutting arm which has the blade attached. Try cleaning it thoroughly and see if that helps.

When I first got mine, I cut a bunch of cheaper cardstock from a stack pack and got lots of paper dust in the groove and it was doing the same thing, shredding the edges of the cardstock. After I took it apart I haven't had the problem again.

I get straight cuts with no shredding on the edges.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I have the Making Memories trimmer and have had good cutting results with it. After you try cleaning it as the above poster mentioned if it fails to improve the cutting, I would call the manufacturer. I know some SCS's have contacted them when the #'s wore off the metal base and I'm pretty the company replaced their cutters free of charge.

HTH, Janice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Location: Currently, in the United Arab Emirates--about 45 miles north of Dubai, in Ras Al Khaimah

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I have this trimmer, too and love it. You can take the cutting apparatus apart and clean the track. At the top of the trimmer is a red button that you slide. Then you can remove the entire cutting arm which has the blade attached. Try cleaning it thoroughly and see if that helps.

When I first got mine, I cut a bunch of cheaper cardstock from a stack pack and got lots of paper dust in the groove and it was doing the same thing, shredding the edges of the cardstock. After I took it apart I haven't had the problem again.

I get straight cuts with no shredding on the edges.
You have all convinced me----I'll keep my Fiskars, but also buy the Making Memories that I've wanted. I have room, I'll just use both!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a Carl DC 100 paper trimmer. I have used it for about 4 years Ive only changed my cutting blade once and cutting mat once or twice. It has had quite heavy usage over the years especially the last year (Im a SU demo) It has the rotary? (disc blade cartridge) Im not sure if they sell my particular model anymore but they still sell the cartridges and cutting mats for it. The things I like about my Carl is that it is sturdy, it has a magnet that keeps the paper in place, I always get a crisp clean cuts, it has substatially high ridges to butt the paper up against, you can be really precise with it like shaving about a millimetre off of the edge of a piece of cardstock, and I get nice straight cuts everytime. Ive also dropped it a few times and it hasnt broken.

I bought a fiskars trimmer recently to demo with and I wish I hadnt the only thing I like about it is that you can pull a ruler extender out on the side to cut your 12x12s precisely. Other than that I was pretty dissapointed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

see post above for more answers. But after using the Carl, 2 different Fiskars...I bought the Tonic guillitine cutter. SU sells it under their logo...you can also buy it on line. The only negative thing about it, is you can only cut 1 or 2 papers at a time. But you get straight, clean cuts every time. If I don't get a clean cut, I wipe the bottom of my blade...a piece of paper might have gotten stuck to it...then my cuts are sharp and clean again. I have had mine for 3 years.....made thousands of cuts...and my blade is as good as the first day I bought it.

I've actually ordered the SU cutter for a customer. We had to return it 3 times before we got a good one. Don't know if they just had a bad batch, or what was wrong. My Tonic is WONDERFUL!!!!

I've "tried" to cut myself with the guillitine cutter...and it pinched and hurt, but I've never drawn blood. I'm really uncoordinated. The blade sharpens itself with each cut....so doesn't need replacing.

good luck!
kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a Cutterpede and I need a new track where the blade runs but can't seem to find them anywhere. I wish I had known that before I bought it.
I have a Purple Cow and love it but sometimes I need a smaller cutter for those close cuts. The PC has that wide bar that obstructs my view of where I am cutting (when I do close cuts)

I think I will buy a Fiskars cutter to replace the Cutterpede since the tracks can be replaced. My daughter has one and it cuts very nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Another Tonic Cutter Fan here after several unsuccessful cutters. I had tried Fiskars, CARL, Fiskars Rotary Cutter and several others. Then got the Tonic Guillotine Cutter from Joann.com and that is it, it is has been amazing. I get straight cuts every time. I can cut through 4-5 sheets of PTI Stock, which is quite thick. I have even made pretty tiny cuts etc, perfect.

Only thing is that I cannot make window cuts etc. But do not miss that much.

Cheers
Banu
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I'll put in my vote for the Making Memories trimmer...it folds in half to use a smaller space and I have had NO problems with it. I have heard if you do have any trouble, they have excellent customer service as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 05:59 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I have the wide base tonic. I loved it for a few years, but now it chews up the bottom inch of the paper- no matter if it is a 4 inch or 12 inch piece!
I have cleaned it several times and still have this problem.
Sigh.
So I dunno what I am going to do!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a Rotatrim 15-Inch Cut Professional Cutter.It was over $300.00 by the time that I paid shipping but I haven't found a better trimmer. Make sure to look for the professional model .
I wish that I had bought this right from the beginning.
:-) Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

http://www.dickblick.com/zz571/57/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I feel your pain. I've been through a few fiskars, the tonic that people love, puple cow etc. I have a Dahle trimmer now and LOVE it. It is the best trimmer I have tried and my cuts are always perfect. The one I have is the advantage. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris2056View Post
I feel your pain. I've been through a few fiskars, the tonic that people love, puple cow etc. I have a Dahle trimmer now and LOVE it. It is the best trimmer I have tried and my cuts are always perfect. The one I have is the advantage. Good luck!
Ditto on the Dahle!! I have the 440 rotary trimmer and love it. Worth EVERY penny!! I'm going to get one of Dahle's smaller ones, too, for portability. The paper trimmer is the most important thing for a card maker and is the best investment you can make. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I put my vote in for th Making Memories as well. I love it.

http://wanda50.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #34  
Inking Addict

I honestly find the fiskar rotary trimmer the best for cutting straight. You do have to replace the blades but it is the only one I have found that truly cuts straight. I line up my paper at the bottom not the top and it cuts straight that way.

I have tried tons of others but this is the best for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicole's MomView Post
How many sheets can you cut with that one?

Looks pretty nice. How long have you had it?

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the Fiskars with the metal bar and rotary cutter. It is more expensive than the one with the "track" that is made of plastic with the cutter in the middle but so worth it. The plastic "track" moves from one side to the other depending on how you push on it and you never get a straight cut. The one with the metal bar in the middle gives me a great cut. I also like that I can order replacement parts (all the parts) directly from Fiskars.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I was checking over the one on the dickblick site for 100.00.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by emarcksView Post
What about the one that SU! sells for $49.95? How does that work? Don't have it but I heard that it's great.

This is the one I have and it works perfectly every time and cuts through several (3) sheets of SU! cardstock at one time, cleanly and evenly.

HTH!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #39  
SCS RAK Coordinator

I used the fiskars (gray, then blue) with the orange replaceable blade for a while and then gave up... uneven cuts!!! So then I bought the big tonic. Good but not realistic to take and travel. Great for big projects though. A couple months ago I bought the fiskars Rotary blade, the 8.5 inch one. I like it. Straight cuts. Fits on my laps or rests on the table edge for quick cuts. I'm happy. Plus they have a few decorative blades for it as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Another recommendation for the Tonic cutter. The only thing I don't like about it is how much room it takes up on my craft desk, but it cuts perfectly every time.
Reply With Quote Likes