Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default Original (Red) Sizzix Died

Does anyone know if you can fix an origianl (red) Sizzix machine that has lost it's "spring"? Or is it shot? Has it happend to anyone else? If not, what would you suggest for a new machine? I use Cuttlebug embossing folders and dies, Nestie dies and Sizzix dies. I'm pretty sure the Cuttlebug Machine will do all, but wanted to make sure.
THANKS!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not sure what you mean by "spring" but I have noticed that mine needs a quite thick shim underneath the plate lately - I use a piece of matboard to get the dies to cut.

I'm going to be sad when it dies! LOL It's just so easy to use since you don't need an sandwiches and so on. Shame it doesn't take the bigger dies. The Big Shot is being released by SU here in a couple months - it will co-incide nicely with my birthday so I might shout myself one.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Insane Embellisher

I've had my CB for almost 3 years now, and I use Cuttlebug embossing folders and dies, Nestie dies and Sizzix dies and the Bigz dies as well. For the cost ($50), I think it does a marvelous job. My only issue is the warping of the B plates. I have a backup set in case one of them finally cracks. The plates are not that expensive. I have laminated a sandwich chart and keep it all in plastic boxes and a notebook. With the CHA reveal of the new longer plates for the CB, I'm hoping to be able to use it for even more. I don't feel compelled to buy a new machine when this works just fine.

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Old 02-13-2010, 04:41 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

Jenny.....I would suggest you burry the antiquated Sizzix and purchase a BIGkick at Michaels, AC Moore or what ever craft store you have in your area. The BIGkick is larger, heavier and more sturdy than the Cuttlebug and will take ANY die, where the Cuttlebug is a bit narrower and can't accept some wider dies.

If you purchase the BIGkick in a store, you save shipping, can use a coupon and certainly get it on the spot rather than waiting for it to be delivered.

Patti
Old 02-13-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
Die Cut Diva

eaparham.....The warping of the cutting pads is a normal occurrance and will happen with any machine that uses cutting pads in the sandwich. They should not break unless you are trying to force too much thickness through. Even over time if you use the cutting pads properly, they should not crack or break. I've had a BIGkick and Cuttlebug for many years and never had a cutting pad break. Rotating your cutting pads will help to utilize every area of the cutting pads thus prolonging their life.

The cutting pads do need to be replaced when you can no longer see through all the etchings the dies will make as you are cutting with them. That's normal and should be expected.

Patti
Old 02-13-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
Insane Embellisher

I recommend the BigKick--$50 at M's or ACM's when they are 50% off or you use a 50% coupon.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
Crimping Master

I agree with Patti, if you rotate your cutting pads {turn them over, and and around} you will really noy have a warping issue. I use my bug every day and have never broken a plate. I do keep a seperate set for embossing...{although its not needed.}

You CAN use the larger dies in the cuttlebug, and the new longer plates will make it easier than ever.
The big shot is also a great machine, it really does depend on how much you want to spend, and if you want the larger big shot, or the more compact size of the cuttlebug.
Good luck!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Jenny.....I would suggest you burry the antiquated Sizzix and purchase a BIGkick at Michaels, AC Moore or what ever craft store you have in your area. The BIGkick is larger, heavier and more sturdy than the Cuttlebug and will take ANY die, where the Cuttlebug is a bit narrower and can't accept some wider dies.

If you purchase the BIGkick in a store, you save shipping, can use a coupon and certainly get it on the spot rather than waiting for it to be delivered.

Patti
I know... I know... I need to bury it!!! I was just trying to save some money and try to fix it for right now so I could research and purchase a new machine later. Anyway....thanks for all the help!!!! I'm still trying to decided on which machine to go with....the BigShot or the Cuttlebug?? Anyone else want to throw in their 2 cents about pros and cons of BigShot and Cuttlebug????
Old 02-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
Crimping Master

I have only used the cuttlebug at the the shop a few times. I find it to be too light weight. In my own personal use I have the big shot and love it. Since you have had the red machine only you obviously don't take it to crops or maybe you do and you know how heavy it is. The big shot is almost as heavy but not quite. I just like my big shot. I think it is what you prefer. Many cuttlebug users are happy.

Lorri
Old 02-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Jenny, if you lived closer I'd give you my old red one! It works fine, I just have the Big Shot now.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #11
Embossing Fanatic

I'd give you mine too....it's just collecting dust!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #12
Insane Embellisher

I have a big shot and love it. I upgraded from ol red several years ago and my 5 yo daughter is absolutely in love with the old red machine beause it is so easy to use.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
Gabfest Goddess

I've had a Cuttlebug and now I have a Big Shot. I loved my Cuttlebug, but when I broke it, I switched to the Big Shot. I love that even more. It just seems to be more sturdy and I can figure out the sandwiches easier. That's just my opinion though. Had I not broke my Cuttlebug, I wouldn't own a Big Shot and would be just as happy...
Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
Mad Swapper

BIG Shot!!!!! I have had mine for over 3 + years and I love it! i have used the CB and it just doesn't feel that sturdy. I used a friend's to show her how to use brass templates to emboss. I used a sandwich posted here on SCS for the CB and it bent the brass template and snapped the plate in half!! I was so glad I had a BS and that is is a truly better machine. Like other have said it feel more sturdy! In all honesty though there was a problem with the cutting plates for the CB when they first came out. So that is a factor. I did break a plate from the BS but that was from many years of use. Oh, yes it cracked from being so very well loved by use. I can happen and it is normal for as much use as it got! MY Big Shot can cut any die out there. It can't cut the big one. Big Shot now has a Pro version that can cut dies !2X12. Now that just might be next on my list. I just don't know where I'd store it and the huge new dies!
Good Luck! with what you decide. My vote is for the Big Shot!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Rubber Obsessor

I have the original red sizzix machine and still love it as much as ever. No need for different "sandwiches" of any kind. I also have the Cuttlebug and I use it for all my embossing folders. I purchased the Big Shot about a year ago and love that too. I use it for my nestabilities and the bigz dies. I also have the Sidekick, and I use that for my little sizzlets. I use them all. I have plenty of room and I have them all in a special place on my counter. But if I had to have just one, I would definitely choose the Big Shot. I don't plan on ever getting rid of any of them either so that I can always have a back up.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
Insane Embellisher

Thanks ladies!! Now between the Big Shot and Big Kick....what are your thoughts????
Old 02-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampasmileView Post
Does anyone know if you can fix an origianl (red) Sizzix machine that has lost it's "spring"? Or is it shot? Has it happend to anyone else? If not, what would you suggest for a new machine? I use Cuttlebug embossing folders and dies, Nestie dies and Sizzix dies. I'm pretty sure the Cuttlebug Machine will do all, but wanted to make sure.
THANKS!!
I'd suggest a Big Kick over a Cuttlebug, they are sturdier, the footprint is not much bigger than the Sizzix Press, and they take pretty much most of the dies on the market. They will NOT take the Big Shot Pro dies because they're way too big, you'd need the 12" wide machine for them.

If you get it at Michaels you can use a 40% off or 50% off coupon and get it for $50-$60. Joann won't let you use a coupon on them anymore but sometimes you can catch the Big Shot on sale there for $60.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks ladies!! Now between the Big Shot and Big Kick....what are your thoughts????
They are pretty much the same, it's just cosmetic differences. If you really want pink/black go for the Shot, if you don't mind the white and red, go for the Kick.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
I'd suggest a Big Kick over a Cuttlebug, they are sturdier, the footprint is not much bigger than the Sizzix Press, and they take pretty much most of the dies on the market. They will NOT take the Big Shot Pro dies because they're way too big, you'd need the 12" wide machine for them.

If you get it at Michaels you can use a 40% off or 50% off coupon and get it for $50-$60. Joann won't let you use a coupon on them anymore but sometimes you can catch the Big Shot on sale there for $60.
Thank you!! I was also wondering about the coupon!!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
Insane Embellisher

Another question.....do I have to buy new plates if I get the Kick? Or do the old ones fit?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #21
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Another question.....do I have to buy new plates if I get the Kick? Or do the old ones fit?
The BigKick and BigShot come with the cutting plates and a multi-purpose platform for sizzlets, folders, etc. It is not the same plate as with the original machine. Whichever machine you go with, you will love it!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thank you!! I was also wondering about the coupon!!
You're welcome. Give a shout if you have more questions - I'm addicted to my Big Kick!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #23
Matboard Maniac

After one shim too many, my Red Sizzix machine cracked up the side. I contacted Sizzix and there's no replacement parts I asked around about the different machines. The Big Shot Express was my final choice because of shoulder issues. It's electric. Costco had a value pack before Christmas that included some cute embossing folders for $129. I am very please with the BS Express. It is has a sturdy handle that makes it easier to move than "Old Red" but I will be leaving it @ home. I hope you find the perfect big shot for you
Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the original Sizzix but it is put away. I have a Cuttlebug and love it. It's the best tool, well not the best but close to it. I got a Big Shot from my daughter as a gift. I finally broke down and bought the long cutting pads. Not all dies will fit in the CB.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #25
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

My old red Sizzix is having problems, too. I'm so afraid it will give up the ghost. I've seen the new ones, but I like the old lever handle and I've come up w/ some different techniques that I can't see them working right in other types of machines. I guess I better start scouting around for another one from someone who doesn't love theirs anymore.
Facebook|Pinterest|Instagram
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni,Featured StamperHostess & Inspiration Challenge Hostess
I design for:
DRS Designs
Rubbernecker Stamps
Old 02-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #26
Gabfest Goddess

I've had my "big red" for at least 10 years and have never had a problem with it so I can't help you there. I've been very happy with it and haven't had any desire to trade up until recently. Since I can't put in the embossing folders sideways (like some techniques require) and I can't use the larger dies, I've been thinking about getting another machine. I know someone who has the Cuttlebug and someone else who has the Sizzix/SU Big Shot and I have to say that I much prefer the Big Shot myself. I know the Bug is small and portable but I didn't like that I had to hold it down with one hand, feed in the plates with another hand and try to crank too. The Big Shot is big and sturdy and because it has an extended base, didn't require holding the plates to feed them in. This is just my experience. With a coupon and free shipping, the Big Shot doesn't cost a whole lot more than the Bug so that's how I'm going. And if I do get a new machine, I guess I will give "big red" to my niece who is into crafting and she can hopefully give it another 10 years of love.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 AM   #27
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Get the big shot, it is great! I see the original sizzix machine at scrapbook store yard sales, so you might try that route!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:08 AM   #28
Matboard Maniac

Get the Big Shot, I love it!!!!
There is a red Sizzix for sale in the Buy/Sell forum.
I sold my red machine at a garage sale right away so they are out there. Also, what PMR said the scrapbook store garage sales are really great too!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #29
Insane Embellisher

I got a Big Shot for Christmas, and LOVE it. I got mine through my SU demo, so got three stamp sets with it (I got a few extras, too!) for SAB. Because my order was over $150, I did get host benefits, too. I haven't used a BigKick, but the design of hte BigShot just seemed more stable.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #30
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa808View Post
The BigKick and BigShot come with the cutting plates and a multi-purpose platform for sizzlets, folders, etc. It is not the same plate as with the original machine. Whichever machine you go with, you will love it!
Thanks so much!! Off to go get the Kick!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #31
Insane Embellisher

Thanks everyone!! This has been a huge help!!! I'm off to get the Kick!!