Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:03 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Question New I Mac Help!!!!

Yea!!!! I got a new IMAC just yesterday. While looking around on SSS I found some cards I wanted to save to my Pictures (pc talk). With my pc I would right click and save to a folder in My Pictures. How do I save with my I MAc which I love. Also can someone recommend to me a book which would guide me with other similar issues. I need to learn this not depend on you great SSS gals to lead me. THANKS SO MUCH for your help. Have a great day. hpcurling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

It will take you a few months to get use to your Mac but once you do you will love it. You have to set your mouse up to have the right click do anything. Once you do that it will be much easier for you. I think you click on the blue apple (upper left hand part of screen) then go into system preferences, mouse etc.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Or hitting the option key when you click is the same as a right click.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for your replies. I made some progress today. Thanks hpcurling
Old 02-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also just bought an iMac and so far I'm loving it. But my question is what size do I chose to save my card so I can upload to SCS. Both my HP three-in-one and my Dell computer gave up the ghost about the same time and at the age of 63, I'm being challenged A LOT. I was very happy to plug in my Logitech cordless mouse and it works perfectly. Have fun with your new toy! I would also like to know if there is a book out there so I wouldn't have to keep calling my two Mac experts all the time.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I had the same problems a few months ago! LOL If you go to finder and make a new folder and put it on your desktop (just drag it there) then you can simply drag pictures to the folder. That is how I save my favorites now. Just remember there is no right click on the MAC....just click and drag things around!

PS I also paid the $99 for one years worth of one hour lessons....I go every week almost and have learned sooooo much....especially with iphoto and imovie!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShariWView Post
I also just bought an iMac and so far I'm loving it. But my question is what size do I chose to save my card so I can upload to SCS. Both my HP three-in-one and my Dell computer gave up the ghost about the same time and at the age of 63, I'm being challenged A LOT. I was very happy to plug in my Logitech cordless mouse and it works perfectly. Have fun with your new toy! I would also like to know if there is a book out there so I wouldn't have to keep calling my two Mac experts all the time.
I export my pictures out of iphoto and save them on my desktop as MEDIUM size. This is fine for uploading into your gallery and for attaching to a post.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I have a new mac with leopard and I right-click to save, copy, bookmark pages, etc. My son set it up for me and he says just go to your mouse settings and enable right click.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

You should not have any folders on your desktop. If you set up a folder for pictures or anything else, put it in the dock. If it is on your desktop, the hard drive is using up memory or something else important. I was told this at the Genius Bar when I brought my Powerbook in last year.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default Use iPhoto instead of Pictures

I use iPhoto to save all the great examples and ideas I find on SCS and other scrapping/stamping sites. It's so simple to download images from the Web with Safari -- just Ctrl click and select "Add Image to iPhoto Library." (You can also add images attached to messages in Mail by clicking the "Save" button in the message header and selecting "Save to iPhoto.")

Once the images are in iPhoto, it's very easy to edit, resize, and organize them. You can add comments to each image, such as the name of the artist, theme, technique, and/or url. You can also set up Keywords and assign them to the images. This makes it very easy to find exactly what you're looking for, even when you have thousands of images as I do.

I have my samples organized even further in folders (Scrapbooking, Cards, Techniques, etc.) and albums (Layouts, Albums, Birthday, Embossing, etc.) To keep these images separate from my digital photos, I have several iPhoto Libraries. I use a shareware program called iPhoto Library Manager, which allows me to easily switch among the different Libraries. (If a Library gets too large, it takes a long time to load.)

I've been a happy Mac user for over 20 years, so email me privately if you have any questions.
http://maryihla.myctmh.com
Old 02-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpcurlingView Post
Yea!!!! I got a new IMAC just yesterday. While looking around on SSS I found some cards I wanted to save to my Pictures (pc talk). With my pc I would right click and save to a folder in My Pictures. How do I save with my I MAc which I love. Also can someone recommend to me a book which would guide me with other similar issues. I need to learn this not depend on you great SSS gals to lead me. THANKS SO MUCH for your help. Have a great day. hpcurling
Just hold down the control key while you click. It should give you several options such as Save image as or Save to folder.
If you are using the built in Safari network software, I can give you a few more hints.
John 3:16
Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Photo size (maximum) is determined by the web server. Read this thread.... If you share your art in the gallery. The best answers are there.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

With a Mac, you don't even need to right click or anything - just click and drag any image from the web into iPhoto, your desktop, wherever you want it. How easy and cool is that?? Try it - click on someone's avatar or some random image and just drag it to iPhoto. Easy peasy!

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Old 02-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

OK! I'm having problems here. I scanned a card into iPhotos and when I click on edit, it doesn't give me an option to resize......HELP! I sure am glad I found this thread. You all are being a tremendous help to me. Thanks for blessing my life.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

OK! I'm having problems here. I scanned a card into iPhoto and when I click on edit, it doesn't give me an option to resize......HELP! I sure am glad I found this thread. You all are being a tremendous help to me. Thanks for blessing my life.
You're right iPhoto doesn't have a resize option. Fortunately Jen Balcer's instructions (blue link above) include this....
Watch your FILE SIZE. Max size for the gallery is 640x480 pixels, but the gallery software will take care of that for you if you are unsure about reducing yourself. Mainly what you get through doing it yourself is shorter upload time (because the files are smaller when reduced). By tweaking the images yourself you also have to opportunity to do any color correction, cropping, watermarking, etc. that you want.

What other types of software do you have? Photoshop Deluxe 2.0 is what I have been using for years. Although it has way more features than I need, I still like it best for editing.