Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default New Distress Archivals and Oxide Sprays

Tim did his release video for Ranger today. They're doing Distress Archivals (minis) and Oxide Sprays. Ranger is also coming out with new formula for Alcohol Inks - Alcohol Pearls (I thinks these would be lovely for Easter/Spring projects). Tim said the Lifter doesn't work with the Pearls.

https://www.facebook.com/timholtzdes...2517324921059/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Die Cut Diva

The video is on YT now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNwk...em-uploademail
Sleepymom33 likes this post.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Matboard Maniac

Oh geez, my wallet is wishing I hadn't watched that video, LOL!

And I did laugh to myself near the beginning when I heard this: "I'm going to start with alcohol and end with distress."

(File that under "only funny if you're a papercrafter"!)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

TH/Ranger are trying to get deep in our pocketbooks. I'm glad they come out with archvial distress mini pads, but I'm not buying them. I'll stick with my mementos and dew drop pads which work just fine.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

Default TH really knows his audience!

Wow that video! I want all those things and I’m not usually one to want entire collections! I admire Tim Holtz so much. He really knows what we want and works with the chemists (and whoever else) to give the best possible products. He seems like such a nice guy! It’s refreshing to see someone so happy about what they do for a living!
Old 01-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepymom33 View Post
Wow that video! I want all those things and I’m not usually one to want entire collections! I admire Tim Holtz so much. He really knows what we want and works with the chemists (and whoever else) to give the best possible products. He seems like such a nice guy! It’s refreshing to see someone so happy about what they do for a living!

I agree, I've been making a wish list of mostly Ranger goodies - Tim, Wendy, Dina & Dyan. I see Simon Hurley is their newest designer.

So far, I've only seen a few other companies' new things that I "want." I'm sure when the Creativation videos start, that will change.

pepperann and maryalena like this post.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
Crimping Master

I like the Distress Archival idea. I didn’t really need all those colors but it looks like they will be sold in packs of four. With my luck it will be one color I love and three colors I don’t think I need, like more brown.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalena View Post
I like the Distress Archival idea. I didn’t really need all those colors but it looks like they will be sold in packs of four. With my luck it will be one color I love and three colors I don’t think I need, like more brown.
Here are the kits: https://rangerink.com/pdf/press/Dist...02019%20PR.pdf

Old 01-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
Crimping Master

Oh hey they grouped the browns together. That’s great. I like the other two packs. Thanks for the link.
TeeGeeDee likes this post.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #10
Glitter Queen

Jesus, my wallet will suffer again
Old 01-19-2019, 04:23 AM   #11
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Oh boy. Thanks for the warning. I fell in love with the glass mat last year and I think that's the first time I ever stalked websites, waiting for a specific item to be available.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #12
Die Cut Diva

Marcos Paper has pre-order 20% off + free shipping: https://www.marcopaper.com/categorie...-2019-Releases
TeeGeeDee likes this post.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #13
Insane Embellisher

I ordered the sprays and the non-brown archivals (already have those in the large size). The oxide sprays look like a liquid version of the paints, if that makes sense.

I also ordered the alcohol pearls to use with those new wings he has from Idea-ology. I think those will work great together.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #14
Die Cut Diva

Video from Creativation today:

pepperann likes this post.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
Hardware Hotshot

Can’t wait for the Oxide sprays - I’m on the list at my LSS, which gives amazing discounts. And probably some of the Ranger Archival mini distress colors, though my brain hasn’t wrapped around exactly how to use them. I get the point, though. Nothing else so far that calls me.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Can’t wait for the Oxide sprays - I’m on the list at my LSS, which gives amazing discounts. And probably some of the Ranger Archival mini distress colors, though my brain hasn’t wrapped around exactly how to use them. I get the point, though. Nothing else so far that calls me.
Distress Archival video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMAz97Rigw

DianeinSparks and bjeans like this post.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
Hardware Hotshot

Love what he did with the professor. Just don’t yet have a sense of where I’d go with it differently than what I’ve done. But having an archival distress color palette will be nice and playing should/may open up the idea vault. I already use Ranger Archival black a lot.
fifiwesfan likes this post.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #18
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Hmm. I'm wondering how much these Distress archival mini pads differ from the Wendy Vecchi archival mini pads, also from Ranger. I have all of those. Sometimes I think there are more choices always coming out and very little difference in product...Course, I'll go watch the video, though LOL!
Old 01-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #19
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjzim View Post
Hmm. I'm wondering how much these Distress archival mini pads differ from the Wendy Vecchi archival mini pads, also from Ranger. I have all of those. Sometimes I think there are more choices always coming out and very little difference in product...Course, I'll go watch the video, though LOL!

If archival (oil based) they should be the same or very close? The difference would just be Distress Archival matching Distress colors.

I can see the benefit of stamping in Distress Archival along with regular Distress and/or Oxides, with the Archival Distress ink unaffected by water, assuming water is being used.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #20
Polyshrink Goddess

So far the only thing that has sparked an interest is the pearlized alcohol inks.
I would not be surprised if next year he'll offer metallic alcohol inks.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #21
Hardware Hotshot

Pearlized isn’t my cuppa but I’d love metallics. So far just using a bit of foil on top of almost dry alcohol inks, and mixatives. It’s hard to imagine metallics but maybe the chemists will do some alchemy.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #22
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjzim View Post
Tim was asked this in one of the videos and he said the only difference was the color, that they're the Distress Ink colors.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #23
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiwesfan View Post
Tim was asked this in one of the videos and he said the only difference was the color, that they're the Distress Ink colors.

Tim would say that about HIS product line.

I find swatching out my ink pads and markers on 4x6 watercolor paper flash cards and identifying the brands helps me when it comes to comparing the colors of what I already have in my collection.
I recently picked up a package of TomBow pastel brush markers which prompted me to re-swatch all my markers and make new reference cards for each brand (1 old set of Stampin Up basic/brights, 12 -Distress, 12-Tombow pastel and CTMH skin tones). I was surprised to see there was very little difference in color between Stampin Up and Distress colors in the same color family...Keep in mind I don't have all the colors for any of the sets. Do you swatch out your inks and compare them to one another?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:27 PM   #24
Crimping Master

I swatch out all my inks and keep them in a soft binder next to my desk. I refer to this binder a lot so it’s worth updating when I add new ink. I use the clear stamp pockets (Jennifer McGuire style). Swatching helps a lot with layering and also is a reminder that I probably don’t need more colors of ink.
fifiwesfan and Bohodiva like this post.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #25
Hardware Hotshot

glitch - reposting

Last edited by bjeans; 01-24-2019 at 07:32 AM..
Old 01-24-2019, 07:37 AM   #26
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohodiva View Post
Tim would say that about HIS product line.

I find swatching out my ink pads and markers on 4x6 watercolor paper flash cards and identifying the brands helps me when it comes to comparing the colors of what I already have in my collection.
I recently picked up a package of TomBow pastel brush markers which prompted me to re-swatch all my markers and make new reference cards for each brand (1 old set of Stampin Up basic/brights, 12 -Distress, 12-Tombow pastel and CTMH skin tones). I was surprised to see there was very little difference in color between Stampin Up and Distress colors in the same color family...Keep in mind I don't have all the colors for any of the sets. Do you swatch out your inks and compare them to one another?

Confused by your first sentence? (“Tim would say that about HIS...”) They simply came out with Distress Archival colors to march Distress ink colors. But maybe I’m missing something - won’t be the first or last time.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #27
Hardware Hotshot

Trying again...

I also used to swatch using Jennifer McGuire’s system, but over time was using fewer inks - Oxides, a little Distress and go-to colors from Hero Arts, Studio Calico and Versafine - original and Clairs. So I rarely refer to the swatch book, and the last inks purchased were the final set of Oxides, and before that Clairs. Oh, and a few great IO neutrals.

Occasionally I glance at a Distress chart, sometimes with CS with rectangular holes to visually isolate colors. There are two dots per color - a single and double ink dab. It’s quick since usually I’m just looking to see which blue (for example) works and because I use those inks so often.

Not sure what happened before - I included a photo but when I went back to edit it disappeared.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #28
Die Cut Diva

12 new oxide sprays: New Tim Holtz Distress® Oxide® Sprays! – Ranger Ink

They're ready for order from many places. I ordered mine from Marco's: Tim Holtz Distress® Oxide Sprays - Second Release - April 2019 Colors - Marco's Paper
Old 04-25-2019, 11:51 PM   #29
Proud Fan Club Member

Last edited by uncbballfan; 04-25-2019 at 11:57 PM..
bjeans likes this post.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:03 AM   #30
Proud Fan Club Member

Sorry for the empty message; was trying to link a video, but it wouldn't show up.

Jacquard makes metallic alcohol ink; it's called Piñata, and comes in gold, copper, brass, silver, and pearl. It's not like the metallic fixatives Ranger has. My favorite is Brass, and you can mix it with the inks to get an effect like gold foil. Just a streak of gold running through your colors.

Since my link won't work, search for Astuary Art on YouTube for how-tos and beautiful examples.
TeeGeeDee and bjeans like this post.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:59 AM   #31
Die Cut Diva

On the subject of the Distress Archivals, I can say that the black, Distress Black Soot, is different to regular Archival black. Tim showed us the difference a couple of years ago when he did some workshops in the UK. They'd just released the big 4 way Archival pads then, and most people hadn't realised that the black in his was Black Soot, not regular black. When he showed us the two swiped side by side, the Black Soot one was a much blacker black, whilst the regular one had a purplish undertone.
TeeGeeDee, maryalena and fifiwesfan like this post.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:51 AM   #32
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbballfan View Post

This is great, thank you, Linda! Question: she uses Coptic re-inkers and rubbing alcohol with the Jacquard metallics (brass). You’re tried it with ‘regular” Ranger or other alcohol inks too?

I’ll buy the brass and maybe another color today from Joggles.com today.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:09 AM   #33
Proud Fan Club Member

Beth, I've used it with both Copic refills and Ranger Alcohol inks; it works great.

I love the Copic refills; the color range is brilliant.

I've used the Alcohol Blending Solution and 91% isopropyl alcohol; both work well, and I actually prefer the 91%.

The Jacquard Piñata line has brilliant colors in their alcohol inks, but there aren't many colors to choose from. Plus I love that they come in 4 oz. bottles.

I just watched another video and saw something almost unbelievable: a thrifty alternative to Yupo. School Smart poster board. You can get it on Amazon, or at School Specialty for half of the Amazon price. 25 sheets 11" X 14", cut into 4ths, gives you 100 5"X7" card fronts, for a little less than $5. I've ordered some; it looks like a wonderful alternative, and I will try to remember to come back with an update.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 04-29-2019 at 03:20 AM..
Old 04-29-2019, 03:23 AM   #34
Hardware Hotshot

Linda, thanks - and interesting about preferring the 91% isopropyl alcohol for the metallics. Do you like the iso alcohol better than blending solution for regular Ranger alcohol inks or just the Jacquard metallics? (For Ranger I prefer blending solution but have iso alcohol - though at a higher percentage. I wonder if that makes a difference too.)

I bought several metallics from Joggles, including brass. Thanks for the heads up about it! Joggles carries Jacquard regular alcohol inks too, Ranger, Yupo paper, etc. Good prices and customer service, inexpensive and fast shipping. (Good videos about lots of products too.) In fact the package will be here today.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:15 AM   #35
Proud Fan Club Member

My preference is the iso alcohol, simply because it's cheaper.

And I've found that you can use a substrate with alcohol inks that's much cheaper than Yupo: poster board!
Old 05-10-2019, 01:29 AM   #36
Proud Fan Club Member

I've been playing with alcohol inks and the Piñata brass ink. Here are a few samples if I can get them to upload.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #37
Hardware Hotshot

Those are great, Linda! What great backgrounds or strips or pieces for die cuts or sky’s the limit! It would be fun to see how you use some. Mine arrived - just haven’t played with them yet.

BTW, Barb at Joggles just did a video about using the Pinata metallics with regular alcohol ink. Whether someone is into mixed media or clean & simple, it applies. And there’s 18% off site-wide for Mother’s Day.

Ethereal Abstract Alcohol Inks & Magical Metallics - Joggles Blog

(We, meaning you - ha! - ought to start a thread about the combo of regular and metallic alcohol inks - bet even more SCSers who aren’t into the topic of the thread would be interested.)
dogbyte likes this post.