Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to Copics-Help, please!

I have a few questions about COPICS. They seem to be VERY popular right now.

Maybe you could help me :

1. what is better, copic sketch or copic ciao?

2. do you use the colorless blender with both types?

3. where can I get cheap sets?

Thank you in advance! :confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com

There is a wealth of information there if you start from the beginning.

Cheapest place I have been able to find is www.oozak.com but their individual selection seems to be out of stock for many colors I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I agree with going to the I Like Markers blog, they have so much information and they give it to you in terms that a beginer can understand.

I bought my Copics at http://www.merriartist.com/ they have a great selection and there prices are reasonable.

Just remeber that there is a learning curve with the Copic's so read everything that you can on using them and practice with them, once you get the hang of them they you will wonder how you ever colored without them. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Along with the links above, check the FAQ at the Copic manufacturer site: http://www.copicmarker.com/

Start with the earliest postings (June?) on the I Like Markers blog to answer your basic questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
I have a few questions about COPICS. They seem to be VERY popular right now.

Maybe you could help me :

1. what is better, copic sketch or copic ciao?
I like the sketch - I like the feel of it in my hand and I color a lot so I like that they hold more ink. Also - the numbers on the caps are much more helpful than you think they would be when you are putting together color combos. The ciaos do not have numbers.
2. do you use the colorless blender with both types?
Yes - but not exactly for blending - more for pulling color out or doing fades to white.

Thank you in advance! :confused:
Marianne's blog is excellent - and a great place to get information and techniques. She did a marvelous job teaching the certification class too.

I also have a couple blog posts about choosing colors based only on my experiences.

http://cathystclair.blogspot.com/200...t-woo-hoo.html

http://cathystclair.blogspot.com/200...picking-2

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Hello...

You've had some great suggestions already, but I thought I'd add a few things to help:

* what is better, copic sketch or copic ciao?

The Sketch and Ciao (any of the markers) are the same colors. If the marker is E31 - Brick Beige, the color will not vary between the shapes. The difference in the offering has to do with the audience.

Sketch markers have 322 colors in an oval shaped body, with a chisel and a brush tip.

Ciao were created with a lower price point for students. The holes in the cap were actually added for young artists - no choking if swallowed. The Ciao markers do not come in all the colors that the Sketch do. The other drawback is that the capacity of the "sponge" on the inside of the marker is less than a Sketch marker and you will have to refill more often.

There is also the Copic marker (as a shape). It is the largest marker body style with a more square shape. It has a bullet tip and a chisel tip and was designed as the workhorse for airbrushing, as it has the largest "sponge" capacity.

* do you use the colorless blender with both types?

The colorless blender can be used with any and all of the marker types. The blender is used to lighten a color and push color. It's not the same as a Dove blender pen. Marianne Walker (www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com) has several entries on how to use a blender pen.

* where can I get cheap sets?

These are expensive markers, no question. I have bought sets from www.ellenhutson.com in the past, as well as Carpe Diem art supply. I have been happy with both retailers.

---------------------------

A couple of added notes for you:

1. Buy colors in the same blending family. By this, I mean BG10 - BG18 are all in the same blending family... the way the Copic markers list their product number are:

Letters in front - designates the color of the marker (BG = Blue-green, R = Red, etc.)
First Number - designates the blending family.
Second Number - designates the shade in the color family... in the example above, BG10 is the lightest color in the blending family and BG18 is the darkest.

To get a good color combo, it works well to have two colors in the same blending family.

2. Separate the colors you pick by a couple of values so you see the difference in shade.

I bought E31 and E33 (fantastic earth tone browns that are middle range). I wouldn't purchase E30, only because the variation in tone between E30 and E31 wouldn't be very noticable.

3. As you increase the first number in the product code (BG10 vs BG93), the colors get increasingly more grey.

Have fun shopping! I hope this helps,
lise

Last edited by Silvergirl; 10-16-2008 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: formatting so it's easier to read
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 04:43 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Subscribing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Subscribing also - I have so many questions about Copic and hopefully will get my answers here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I'm still a Copic newbie but I'll share my choice with you.

I actually decided to start off with the Ciao markers primarily due to the cost and the fact that a local art store carries them so I can pick them up a few at a time. I also didn't want to spend a ton until I saw if I liked them and will use them.

Up here the Sketch markers are going for $6-8 each. I pay $3.50 per marker for the Ciao. I can get the refills for around $5 which will fill the Ciao markers tons of times. So essentially with one marker and a refill I'm paying the same as one sketch marker but getting more ink (if that makes sense)

Now that I've been using them I would like to get some sketch markers to fill in gaps in my colours. I find I would like more of the lighter colours but they are not available in the Ciao so I'll get those in the Sketch markers.

If you do decide to go with the Ciao, the inks are exactly the same so you can use the Ciao and Sketch markers together.

I'm still happy with my choice to go with the Ciao style and don't regret starting with the cheaper ones to get started.

Oh and just to add....

I started off getting two shades of each colour (e.g. one darker and one lighter of the same colour family). Then once I knew I liked them I add more tones in each family.

You could also just buy some lighter colours in each tone and a grey marker for shading (instead of the darker colour in the same tone). That's also a good way to get started with minimal markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer RView Post
I'm still a Copic newbie but I'll share my choice with you.

I actually decided to start off with the Ciao markers primarily due to the cost and the fact that a local art store carries them so I can pick them up a few at a time. I also didn't want to spend a ton until I saw if I liked them and will use them.

Up here the Sketch markers are going for $6-8 each. I pay $3.50 per marker for the Ciao. I can get the refills for around $5 which will fill the Ciao markers tons of times. So essentially with one marker and a refill I'm paying the same as one sketch marker but getting more ink (if that makes sense)

Now that I've been using them I would like to get some sketch markers to fill in gaps in my colours. I find I would like more of the lighter colours but they are not available in the Ciao so I'll get those in the Sketch markers.

If you do decide to go with the Ciao, the inks are exactly the same so you can use the Ciao and Sketch markers together.

I'm still happy with my choice to go with the Ciao style and don't regret starting with the cheaper ones to get started.

Oh and just to add....

I started off getting two shades of each colour (e.g. one darker and one lighter of the same colour family). Then once I knew I liked them I add more tones in each family.

You could also just buy some lighter colours in each tone and a grey marker for shading (instead of the darker colour in the same tone). That's also a good way to get started with minimal markers.
Hi Jennifer, I don't mean to hijack this site, but I will only take a minute, Jennifer you can order the Copic Sketches at Merri Artist http://www.merriartist.com/ for about $4.50 per marker and there shipping is resonable and I only had to pay about $10 duty on my order (it was over $150). I know what you mean about the prices of the Copic's in Canada, it is crazy what some of the stores here charge us for them. I just thought that you might like to know that there is a place to order them that is not as expensive and will ship to Canada. Hope this helps you. Now back to our original thread, thanks for letting me interup.
Jackie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 05:08 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes