Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Never-ending hunt for a paper cutter

I know, there are quite a few threads on this topic, but I'm looking for a paper cutter that is really specific, so I am hoping someone here has a suggestion. At this point, I don't care what it costs, I just need a paper cutter that works.

My Cutterpede broke (again) so I replaced it with another Cutterpede (again). This is my 6th Cutterpede in 2 and a half years. This one, however, does not cut straight. AT ALL. The others had flaws, such as breaking easily or swing-out arms snapping off, but they at least cut straight. No such luck this time. I need the cutter to have the following features:

**Rotary trimmer, because I'll chop off fingers with a guillotine. It's inevitable. I know myself well enough to know I will lose a couple fingers with one of those things (though I would like to get one for the house so someone else can use it). I don't want a fixed slide blade either, I prefer rotary.

**Minimum 6" base, preferably 12" or something with a swing out 12" arm (and one that won't snap off if I look at it wrong)

**Blades already in a shuttle or self-sharpening blade. I can't use a cutter where I have to handle the actual blade and try to put it in the shuttle. Again, that whole losing fingers thing.

**A safety type guide or something on the shuttle so I don't chop off fingers. This is what axed the Genesis off the list. I like how sturdy it seems, and that it lasts forever, but again, I'd lose a finger (or two or three..)

**Easy to use shuttle. I need something to hold onto. I have MD and don't have the best dexterity, so something sturdy (like the Cutterpede shuttle) that is easy to slide.

**An arm that flips upward to put the paper under, and not a cutter where it has to slide under a plastic piece to hold it down.

**Preferably under 5 pounds, so I can lift it myself.

**Preferably something where this a bit of a surface on each side of the blade, so one half of the paper isn't flapping up and down, etc.

So, the big question is, does this dream cutter of mine exist, or am I simply living in a dreamland?

Last edited by cardsbynikki; 02-10-2010 at 12:00 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it does, I want one too! I think perhaps we should just design one of these ourselves and put it on the market. I think we'd make a lot of money! The closest I have found is the Creative Memories paper cutter, but I don't think it meets all your qualifications either.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

At least I am not the only one on the quest for a paper cutter that is decent. I've been tempted more than once to buy one of those huge wood ones too. I just hate that they are so big and heavy.

Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat, and I'm glad to read your comments about the Cutterpede, b/c I was considering buying one. I too am considering a wood office type cutter.

My only thought was a Fiskars rotary trimmer? I've used those, though, and they tend to cut crooked IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I can't say with all certainty since mine has not arrived yet, but it would seem that the fact that the Genesis can only cut one sheet at a time would mean that you would have a really hard time (if not impossible time) chopping off fingers with it.

I know that the Stampin Up/Tonic guillotine trimmer is not supposed to cut fingers at all. Mine never has. In fact the only injury I've ever gotten using a trimmer is with a Fiskars that has the little pointy thing sticking out of the orange plastic. I poked myself once.

And this if from a woman who broke her hand in two places at a desk job. I'm quite the klutz and I haven't had any trouble with trimmers.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok a question about the Genesis (since it cant cut fingers, that's a plus. LOL!) Does anyone know how hard it is to work? It doesn't look like there is anything to grasp really to make it easy to slide the blade down. But maybe if I could figure that out, it's a possibility.
I will have to look into the SU trimmer if it doesn't cut fingers (I rather like my fingers) because I do like the idea of a guillotine but not the idea of the injuries! (I just had nightmares of chopping off all my fingers with one)

Thanks Deb, I will look into those, and I'm really glad I'm not the only one on a hunt for THE paper trimmer! And I agree Joan, we should just design one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

The Tonic trimmers (guillotine) cut paper, not people. The 12" x 12" trimmer is large, but doesn't weigh very much. I've taken it places when I needed to, no problem. It fits in my rolling tote.

The only downside for me is the handle doesn't lock down. When I asked Tonic at CHA about why they didn't provide a lock, I was told the blade will cut paper, not people, so they didn't feel the need to have a lock on the handle. I like that it goes down to 1/6th measurements, instead of just 1/4" or 1/8".

The only adjustment I had to make was to be sure to hold down the guard, otherwise the paper will shift. My previous cutter didn't have a guard so it was simply retraining the way I was used to using a cutter.

The smaller one that SU! sells is the same one (made by Tonic) you can get in other locations (JoAnn's for example) for a better price.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
The Tonic trimmers (guillotine) cut paper, not people. The 12" x 12" trimmer is large, but doesn't weigh very much. I've taken it places when I needed to, no problem. It fits in my rolling tote.

The only downside for me is the handle doesn't lock down. When I asked Tonic at CHA about why they didn't provide a lock, I was told the blade will cut paper, not people, so they didn't feel the need to have a lock on the handle. I like that it goes down to 1/6th measurements, instead of just 1/4" or 1/8".

The only adjustment I had to make was to be sure to hold down the guard, otherwise the paper will shift. My previous cutter didn't have a guard so it was simply retraining the way I was used to using a cutter.

The smaller one that SU! sells is the same one (made by Tonic) you can get in other locations (JoAnn's for example) for a better price.
Valerie, very good to know! I was also worried about kiddie fingers getting chopped off, so I'm glad it won't cut people How many sheets at a time can you cut with the tonic?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok one more question on the tonic - does that orange bar lift up or do you have to slide the paper under it? I am assuming if you have to slide paper under it, it'd be hard to cut off small strips?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Paper slides under, it sits about a 1/4" off the board, so it's easy to get paper underneath. If I need small strips, I work backwards. As far as pieces at a time, I only do one (it's an AR tendency LOL), but I'm sure you can do more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
Ok a question about the Genesis (since it cant cut fingers, that's a plus. LOL!) Does anyone know how hard it is to work? It doesn't look like there is anything to grasp really to make it easy to slide the blade down. But maybe if I could figure that out, it's a possibility.
To cut with a Genesis, you hold the handle and move the cutter wheel along the flat blade that runs the length of the trimmer. The flat blade is not sharp in a way that would cut your finger, but the two blades (flat blade and cutter wheel) work together to give those perfect cuts and the metal-on-metal action keeps the cutter wheel sharp.

The cutter wheel is housed in a gear-driven carriage that glides on a cylindrical bar called a slide bar. The wheel has a curved metal "stop" on each side so that if your finger is in the way of the cut, you'll feel the curved metal first and can move your hand out of the way. Even with this curved piece, I wouldn't let young children use the trimmer, but adults are able to use it safely.

Hope this helps.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

i have the same dilemma. i saw a cutter in a youtube video and wanted it but had no idea where to start looking. right now i bought a fiskars rotary cutter that i luckily found it clearanced at $10 from $50. I'm happy with it. Gets the job done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

The Genesis is very, very easy to operate, and it was worth every penny. I'm something of a klutz too, and I have never felt at risk using it. The edgelight is especially helpful, because you can see EXACTLY where you're going to cut, so it's easy to keep your fingers out of the way, and the cuts are clean and straight. I couldn't believe there could be a paper trimmer worth that kind of money, but I'm a believer now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

A question on the genesis trimmer - does it cut multiple sheets of cardstock at once, or just one at a time? I think I would like it better than my carl cutter if it cut multiple.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the Tonic 12" trimmer and I am very satisfied with it. It is a guillotine cutter, but it can't cut a finger because the blade is actually flat on the cutting edge. The cutting process is done as the blade passes past the metal guard.

I have gotten very accurate cuts and it will even slice off 1/16" when I measured wrong.

It has 3 rulers with increments down to 1/16". One on the top ; one in the center and one on the bottom plus a grid with 1/2" square increments on the entire surface. It is easy to line up the paper for accurate cuts

The paper goes under a clear plastic holder that I push down on to secure the paper before slicing. I can see exactly where to line up the paper on the metal guard.

I just did a card where I used the New SU scalloped edge punch on the inside card liner. I wanted the cuts in a specific spot so there was a complete scallop/loop at the top and the bottom of the liner. I had no problem lining it up

It is not heavy, but is not flimsy either. My guess is it weights about 3#. It has rubber feet to keep it from slipping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

We have the same problem in the UK. Just bought ny 3rd trimmer/guilotine in 2 years and not impressed with it. I'm starting to think the only way to get a decent straight line is with a craft mat a craft blade and a ruler. Gill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you checked out the Making Memories cutter; I had it before I got my Genesis and of all the trimmers I had tried previous to buying the Making Memories, I liked the Making Memories best. The cutter can accommodate a 12 x 12 piece of paper but if you want to reduce the surface size, half of the cutter folds under. But, of course, the Genesis is the greatest in my opinion but if I didn't have it, I would still be using my Making Memories. Michaels carries to Making Memories so you can check it out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by amethyst18View Post
We have the same problem in the UK. Just bought ny 3rd trimmer/guilotine in 2 years and not impressed with it. I'm starting to think the only way to get a decent straight line is with a craft mat a craft blade and a ruler. Gill
I have been using a Martha Stewart ruler (or you can use a quilting one) and a hand rotary trimmer on a scor-pal with the mat. If I actually had more crafting space this would work like a dream and is cheaper than most of the other methods mentioned here. Just a thought - BTW I bought my Scor-mat for work surface and stumbled upon how well this works for me!

That said I would still like a good cutter - I have a Carl one that is good but drives me crazy because the storage compartment keeps flipping open when I use it on my lap (did I say have work surface issues?) :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

ahhh what you seek is the Holy Grail of papercrafty;) I have trimmers coming out of my ears but I still revert to a metal edged ruler and craftknife:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

My Genesis arrived today. I put on the edge light and OH.MY.GOODNESS!!! I can slice off the teeny, tiniest sliver of paper that is perfectly even and perfectly smooth.

Even DH was impressed with the accuracy of it. I'm *so* glad that I finally got one. It's going to make my crafting life so much easier as my AR tendencies can now be satisfied with my cuts.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Message for Bonnie!

Hi Bonnie,
I just watched your demo on Scrap Time of the 16" Genesis. I first heard about this trimmer last year, and have been drooling over it (or my computer) ever since. I understand that you bought the original company, and are handcrafting them in the USA.
My question to you is this (& I thought perhaps others would be interested in your answer, which is why I posted here):

What assurances can you give us that this 'version' of the Genesis has the same accuracy, quality & longevity as the original?

I understand that there are some people who have had these for years, if not decades which is a great testament to the product. I personally am very picky about my cuts and really get frustrated when my cutters cut even very slightly off-square. The price is high, but I would love to make a final trimmer purchase & be done with it, if I can be sure I will be completely satisfied. Will this Genesis have all the same top-notch qualities? I understand that of course you will tell us that it is indeed a great product - you are in business, and I get that. But I also think that from your previous responses you will give us a thoughtful and honest answer.

Thank you so much,
nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by felis44View Post
Hi Bonnie,
I just watched your demo on Scrap Time of the 16" Genesis. I first heard about this trimmer last year, and have been drooling over it (or my computer) ever since. I understand that you bought the original company, and are handcrafting them in the USA.
My question to you is this (& I thought perhaps others would be interested in your answer, which is why I posted here):

What assurances can you give us that this 'version' of the Genesis has the same accuracy, quality & longevity as the original?

I understand that there are some people who have had these for years, if not decades which is a great testament to the product. I personally am very picky about my cuts and really get frustrated when my cutters cut even very slightly off-square. The price is high, but I would love to make a final trimmer purchase & be done with it, if I can be sure I will be completely satisfied. Will this Genesis have all the same top-notch qualities? I understand that of course you will tell us that it is indeed a great product - you are in business, and I get that. But I also think that from your previous responses you will give us a thoughtful and honest answer.

Thank you so much,
nina
Nina, I'll be glad to address your concerns. First and probably most important reason you can count on the quality: We've been trained by the master! We brought the previous owner of Genesis -- who had been building Genesis Trimmers for more than 35 years! -- down to Atlanta twice to work with and train our employees. He stayed for quite a while for these intensive training sessions, and he worked overtime with our people to cover all of the manufacturing steps, assembly details, testing procedures, and even the packing process.

We are using the exact same specifications and plans that were used to produce the original Genesis Trimmer, except for two improvements: First, we now have the grid lines laser-etched by a computer-driven laser etching machine, which makes the grid lines even more crisp and precise. Second, upon the recommendation of steel blade experts, we are using an even higher grade of steel to make the long blades (the blade the cutter wheel cuts against -- the blade that runs the length of the trimmer).

Over the past three years, we have sought out and have been fortunate enough to find excellent suppliers for the myriad parts and processes, and these folks seem to take a serious interest in our business and a great deal of pride in their part of the process.

We have more specialists involved in building trimmers and we follow even more quality control testing steps before each trimmer is packed for shipping!

And finally, because we didn't cut corners or move any of the operations to China, our employees take great pride in building each Genesis Trimmer by hand in the USA. Because of this, we all work extra hard to make it sharp, precise, accurate and lovely to look at!

Hope this helps you feel more confident about us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I tried quite a few different trimmers and the one I have settled on, and love, is just a stationary shop guillotine. I love it - straight cuts, can make small cuts, there is a guard so you would have to try really hard to cut your fingers and the price was less than most ordinary craft trimmers I've seen and didn't need a bank loan to buy.

Last edited by Metalcharm; 02-12-2010 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenofToolsView Post
[stuff deleted... see above post]

Hope this helps you feel more confident about us!
Thanks so much Bonnie for taking the time. I appreciate that you decided to keep this trimmer in production, and I gather that many feel the same way. It certainly is a lot of money for a trimmer but I wonder how many of us have spent that much on multiple trimmers that don't quite 'cut' it :rolleyes:...? You seem to have paid a lot of attention to detail. People who have a Genesis swear by them!

I've also heard good things about the Tonic but I know some people don't like the guillotine style. I guess it all comes down to personal preference (& expandability of your wallet!).

nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I was really trying not to get a guillotine cutter.....but was sick of replacing cutter after cutter and certainly tired of them not cutting straight. BUT......took the plunge and bought the 12" tonic. Love it!!! Wish I wouldn't have waited so long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Could anyone tell me the BEST place to buy the Tonic Guillotine? I'm trying to decide between the 8.5" and the 12". Does the 8x5" have a swing-out arm?

I can't find it at my local stores. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, and another question about the Tonic - how many sheets can it cut at a time?

I saw the big Fiskars Guillotine at Mike's - any reviews on that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 05:06 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Bonnie,

I'm left handed and would want the blade on the left side. Can the cutter be flipped around or is the guide on top fixed?

Is there a link somewhere to your website?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Could anyone tell me the BEST place to buy the Tonic Guillotine? I'm trying to decide between the 8.5" and the 12". Does the 8x5" have a swing-out arm?

I can't find it at my local stores. Thanks!
Here's the 12" one, I've seen it as low as $29.99 before:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd954797

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Before you buy the Tonic or the Genesis, check out my favorite trimmer:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd22775

I was using an X-Acto guillotine laser trimmer. Loved it! But it's not easily moved. It's lightweight, but large and uncomfortable to carry. So, I went in search of a portable trimmer that would give me what I wanted.

I wanted:
Straight cuts
No fuzzy cuts
Easy 90 degree cuts
Easy measurements

These were my main wants. So, I bought the above trimmer (actually, I bought the Rock Paper Trimmer off of ebay for $35 shipped), which is identical, but instead of blade storage (which I would have preferred) it has an mp3 dock.) It gave me all that I wanted, PLUS:

it is also great at measuring small pieces. I've cut a 1/2 inch strip of paper in half, perfectly straight. The bar raises up and then clicks into place and holds your paper down.

Because of the 'bonus' I didn't expect, it has actually replaced my CM personal trimmer that I used to use to cut small pieces!

The trimmer is large, but lightweight, and easy to carry with the handle. I keep it beneath my table, and when I need to make a cut, I reach under there and set it against the table on my lap and cut. If I'm scrapping alone I'll have room to set it on the table. But I'm usually scrapping with my friend, but setting it on my lap works great, and I don't have to stand or move my stuff or anything.

I LOVE this trimmer, and will not be buying another trimmer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

For those who have the Genesis - why would you need a 16" paper trimmer? And is the light necessary? Does it make that much difference? I am very interested in this Genesis but not sure which one to purchase..
Thanks
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just got my Tonic 12x12 cutter a couple weeks ago and absolutely LOVE it! I used a 30% off coupon at Archivers and got it for about $35. I had purchased a Purple Cow trimmer at Costco, but I returned it because I did not like it...could not get straight cuts. The Tonic is great and cuts straight every time! I can usually do 2 sheets at once if I need to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can also cut chipboard with the Tonic cutter, which I could never do with the Fiskars trimmer mentioned above (unless I wanted to replace the blade when I was done with 1 sheet!) I also found with the Fiskars trimmer that I would not get smooth straight cuts everytime because the plastic pad thing under the blade arm would get a ridge in it. In my opinion, the Tonic cutter is by far better than the Fiskars because there are no blades or pads to replace like on the Fiskars cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #35  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

Checked a local stamping store and they were selling the 12" Tonic Guillotine for $79.99 - the same one posted for under $49.99 here on the board. Is the duty importing these really that much? Sure seems like a rip-off to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Oh, and another question about the Tonic - how many sheets can it cut at a time?
The large Tonic can cut two, maybe three sheets of Georgia Pacific paper at one time. Only one of thicker papers like Papertrey ink.

The mini tonic, only one layer at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunriseaView Post
Have you checked out the Making Memories cutter; I had it before I got my Genesis and of all the trimmers I had tried previous to buying the Making Memories, I liked the Making Memories best. The cutter can accommodate a 12 x 12 piece of paper but if you want to reduce the surface size, half of the cutter folds under. But, of course, the Genesis is the greatest in my opinion but if I didn't have it, I would still be using my Making Memories. Michaels carries to Making Memories so you can check it out there.
Here'a another vote for the MM trimmer. I've had mine for about a year and love it. I got it at Michaels with a 50% coupon for about $25. A really good feature is the self-sharpening blade, so you never have to buy blades again.

With respect, I think some of the complaints about any brand of trimmer involve operator error. The common complaint that a trimmer doesn't cut straight can usually be solved by lining up your paper precisely with the grids/measuring lines on the trimmer, and being sure to hold your paper firmly on the base so it doesn't slip when making the cut. I know we are all in a hurry, but taking your time really does produce better results with any trimmer.

Also, I never cut more than one piece of paper at once. Again, this takes more time, but I didn't take up this hobby to save time, lol.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Has anyone tried the Tonic rotary cutter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. BenkoView Post
For those who have the Genesis - why would you need a 16" paper trimmer? And is the light necessary? Does it make that much difference? I am very interested in this Genesis but not sure which one to purchase..
Thanks
Kathy
I struggled with which one to buy as well but took the advice of many on this mb and purchased the 16" with edgelight. I like the extra space the 16" gives me, but more importantly I didn't want to buy the 12" and then decide later on down the road that I really could have used the edgelight(not an option on the 12"). As it turns out, I have ALWAYS had issues with trimming/cropping photos and the edgelight is such a fabulous way of seeing exactly where you're cutting.

Is the extra space on the 16" necessary? Probably not. Is the edgelight? I think so. I say this though having never used the 12" so I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't feel cramped on it. The trimmer I was using before was the MM trimmer and even that one went up to 12.5" My concern was dealing with some of those papers that have that little extra strip with the barcode(like BG, etc).

You could always buy the 16" and then decide later to purchase the edgelight.
Reply With Quote Likes