Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nestabilities vs Cricut

I own the Cuttlebug and the Cricut and was wondering if someone could tell me why I should get nestabilities. Could you not just cut those shapes out on the Cricut (I have Sure Cuts A Lot so can find all the shapes online).

Anyone out there currently cutting them on the Cricut? What are the pros and cons of having/not having them?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:02 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I use my nesties instead of the Cricut because they are so much easier.

You can stamp any image and then try each nestie to see which one is the perfect size, and then you just grab the next one up for a mat. On the Orig Cricut you can't center around an image, and on the Expression, it's nearly impossible to get it to come out perfectly the first time.

You CAN do it all with a Cricut, I just hate the hassle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I have both as well as a silhouette. I could cut the shapes with the silhouette or the cricut, but I find myself reaching for the nesties more than anything. I think it's becuase they are right there in front of me and I don't always want to drag the computer out when I am crafting. I was not going to buy nesties either because I had both of those machines, but after I bought the first set I was hooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #4  
bck
Embossing Fanatic

Another advantage to the nesties is the embossing. That edge just looks so cool!! You can't do that with the cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Default WHAT are Nesabilities?

OK, I've heard of nestabilities but what are they? Does someone have a finished photo that you can up load?:confused:

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I just love the embossed look of the nesties. For me it's just a matter of determining how much I'll used the embossed shaped of the nestability. If not often, I'll bypass that shape and just use my Cricut. Too bad for me I like to many embossed nestie shapes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #7  
Kindred Quacker

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeeksmamaView Post
OK, I've heard of nestabilities but what are they? Does someone have a finished photo that you can up load?:confused:

Thanks so much!
You could look at Spellbinders.com and see what they have and see what they look like, I have the scalloped ovals and scalloped rectangles. Love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Ditto on the embossed edge.. sure you can cut the shapes with a punch or Cricut, but that embossed edge just adds so much, imo. And there's no playing around with getting the exact right size, dragging out a computer, setting up the Cricut, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Since I rarely use the embossed edge on my nesties, I'm good with my new Cricut...however, I did cut some scallop squares the other night and they scallops are a little wonky in spots...nesties would be perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I use my Cricut to cut out larger shapes than what the Nesties offer, but I usually reach for the Nesties first. The embossing edge is wonderful. Betsy Veldman did a tutorial on how to emboss with Cricut cut shapes and your Cuttlebug. You can see it on her blog here. She is a genius!

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

I was just going to post something like this! I recently got the universal platform (think that's name of it) for my Big Shot so I can cut with nesties. Ohhhh, so nice. I love that the sizes are coordinated to work together. I've been toying with buying a few more, BUT I've got the Cricut and wonder if I shouldnt just use that? My biggest problem is that I've got to set it up and it's a lot faster to run stuff thru my Big Shot (also less a chance the kids will break as it never fails they're around and messing with stuff when I'm not looking!) You can find nesties with some good prices on ebay (just search nestabilities) and someone here suggested overstock.com which has a nice selection (just not sure if those are the most competitive rates:
http://www.overstock.com/search?keyw...Type=HP_Header

I mostly use my Cricut for shapes (actually havent used it a ton) and wondering if I expand my nesties collection if I should then get rid of the Cricut? If you use nesties for shapes what do you use your Cricut for (intricate shapes and alphas?)...

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never used a Nestability die. What machine do you use to cut them?
It cuts the shapes and embosses?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Ineedthat: You can use either the Cuttlebug, Wizard, Big Shot/Big Kick (the Big Shot and Big Kick are the same thing, just different names. They look a little bit different but work exactly the same). I believe you can also use the Revolution. With the regular size Nestabilities (commonly called Nesties here) you can also use the original sizzix press. They work in pretty much every die cut machine out there I think.

And yes it cuts the shape out and then the edge is embossed. Click HERE to go to Spellbinders (they make the Nesties) and you can see what all the shapes look like. Spellbinders is also in the process of letting us get a sneek peek of all their new stuff, one set at a time. It's pretty cool stuff they are coming out with.

Once you get to that page, over on the left hand side you will see links to click on, such as Nestabilities, Shapeabilities, Borderabilities, etc. They have some really great things!

I'm hooked on my Nesties. I didn't think I would be, but I am. I love them and use them on nearly every card at least once.

I buy mine mostly from Ritz Camera. They are awesome and have really good prices on the Nesties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Nesties cut perfectly symmetrical shapes in perfectly proportionate, graduated sizes.

It'd take me a week to figure that out with my E or KNK -- and I doubt they'd be perfect (not to mention they wouldn't be embossed).

With Nesties, I can place the die exactly where I want the cut to occur. While I can move the blade position on my electronic cutters, I cannot guarantee the cut will be exactly where I want it without a bit of trial and error.

(You don't have to emboss the cut with Nesties. You can get an unembossed cut, too.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Crazed, I use my Cricut for letters because I can cut whole names/words/titles at once. I also use it for big shapes and when I want to cut multiples (like for my kids' classrooms). I can choose from a wide variety of sizes and the carts are so easy & quick to use.

I'm sort of a tool ho, so I have many machines that overlap purposes. (In fact, I think all of them overlap purposes. lol) Each one does something particular better than the others, though, so they all get to stay. I'd really hate to have to give any one of them up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Would MUCH prefer nesties over cricut. Cricut is a hassle to take out and set up, takes longer to cut things out, and you can't really tell what size it is going to be unless you cut things out. Nesties are right there, no set up involved, you can place them over a stamped image to see what size you need, and you get a perfect shape everytime. Definitely go for the nesties. They're worth the money, for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all the great responses! I think I'm gonna have to break down and get some of those "nesties".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It all comes down to storage for me. I prefer cutting alphas with a cricut or silhouette because a set of alpha dies is heavy and takes up more space than a cricut cart or TT font in my computer!

As for nesties, I store mine in an old SU 5x7 scrapbook. The long nesties fit in there perfectly and all of them take up little room on my shelf above my stamping space. Love that! (I cut magnet sheets to fit in each page protector.)

I collect dies and carts based on how much I think I'll use them. If it's a sizzix or spellbinders die that I just love, I'll get it. Otherwise, I'll rely on my computer and a machine to cut it out. Also, if I can get it on my computer for the Silhouette, I'll choose that option because it takes up no space! For example, there are more and more label shapes coming out in all of the different formats and brands. I'm leaning toward getting them from Silhouette because I can make it larger or smaller with my computer.

I'd say, get one set of nesties so you can get that beautiful embossed edge. Try it and see if you prefer that option!

Hope that helps you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

What shape do you use the most? I'd like to buy just one set because money is tight. I can't decide which to buy:-(

Also...I see some nesties that look like thin brown rings and other nesties that are colored plastic shapes. What's the difference?

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the heads up, Gale. I've sat here and stared at the pictures so many times trying to figure out how they were different. Duh...major blonde moment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use the Nesties because each one is cut out to perfection. No measuring, no more uneven edges, etc. It's just easier than measuring.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

I agree with Gayle; I think the ovals or rectangles would be most versatile. It's easy to cut a square or circle.

If I had to choose, I'd get scallops, since cutting scallops is difficult by hand and most punches don't nest the scallops as nicely as Nesties.
Reply With Quote Likes