Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must-Have Adhesives

A thread I started earlier has made me realize what an amateur I am! And I thought I knew what I was doing!

So I thought I would draw on this collective of creative skill and talent to try to build my own experience.

What in your opinion, what adhesives do you consider must-haves? Which adhesives should every papercrafter have in his/her collection, and what is it best used for?

This could get expensive!!!

Thanks for all your wisdom! It is going to good use!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

mono multi, double stick tape, glue dots of various sizes, vellum tape and a tape runner of some sort. Mono Multi is my first choice of adhesive. I also use single sided scotch tape for taping down ribbon onto the back of a layer. Oh yeah and Modge Podge for notebooks. And sticky strip (red liner tape) too.. LOL..lot's of adhesives out there that you *need*..lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

I used to use a tape runner all the time. A little while ago I was enabled (imagine that!) and bought some Tombow Mono Multi. I have converted and use this almost exclusively now! A little goes a long way and it is reasonably priced - just hard to find in local stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

photo splits, (I still love them)
tape runner
glue dots
double sided tape
xyron
crystal effects
mod podge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I love the Scotch Quick Dry Tacky adhesive and use it for almost everything! Other adhesives I have are glue dots of all sorts (lines, mini, regular and pop), foam pop dots, plain glue stick and double sided carpet tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Faves/staples in my supply closet:

Mini Glue Dots
Sakura Quickie Glue Pen
Adhesive Runner Type (I like Tombow Monoadhesive, personally)
Red Liner Tape (many brands out there, pick the one you like)
Xyron Permanent
Dotto, Temporary
Foam Mounting Tape
Clear Dimensional Lacquer type (many brands out there, pick the one you like)

In no particular order of preference, and use whichever best suits the application.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread cracks me up. Just to add to the mix --

I like the dimensionals that SU sells (don't know the manufacturer) because they are pretty thin -- pop, but not too much if that makes any sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I love the ease of Tombow Monoadhesive (it's a runner), but have let it go by the wayside because it simply does not hold well enough for me. I have replaced it with:

Beacon Zip Dry Paper Glue - this is a clear, liquid glue that dries quickly and will hold paper to paper, paper to metal (even round tins, etc.). I find it works just as well as red liner tape (O So Sticky tape, etc.) and is waaaay cheaper. The bottle is big and lasted me about 6 months.

Tombow Mono Multi - same idea as Zip Dry, but starts out white. Doesn't dry as quickly as Zip and holds really, really well (not quite as well as Zip, but definitely great for cards, etc.)

Crop & Glue Permanent strips - these are similar to Glue Dots, any red liner tape, etc. It is truly the stickiest type of this product I have found. Love that the package comes with a variety of little squares, long thin strips, etc. because I use only exactly what I need.

For embellishments, I use either Zip or Beacon's Gem-Tac - it is made specifically for non-porous embellishments and holds great. Takes longer to dry, so I adhere that piece last.
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Also wanted to add that SU's dimensionals are really the best out there for foam pop dots. I am always disappointed in the hold of the other brands out there - even Making Memories, etc.
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Default Tape/adhesive?

O.K. I read what the rest wrote but this is my take on it. I did use the mono/adhesive runners but didn't like the fact that cards that where made and sat fell apart:(
I Love The Terrifically Tacky Tape (would't leave home with out it) LOL

I am not a big fan of glue but I have heard mono multi is good

My new investment is the Scotch ATG-700 and I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE It (bye, bye, Mono adhesive )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess_witty
I love the ease of Tombow Monoadhesive (it's a runner), but have let it go by the wayside because it simply does not hold well enough for me.
I must have some really old, but good Mono (haven't re-ordered in a long time). . . unless someone's not telling me that my cards are fallin' apart . . . :confused:

Does anybody use Red Duck? (I think that's what it's called . . . ) Opinions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I like the mono/adhesive but my cards were coming apart as well.I had bought a Trio Professional Adhesive Applicator for 16.00 (it has 3 different sizes in it) ,but don't like it either. I find myself using nothing but my zyron permanent...its getting expensive though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #13  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess_witty
I love the ease of Tombow Monoadhesive (it's a runner), but have let it go by the wayside because it simply does not hold well enough for me.
Definitely dropped the mono like a bad habit for the same reason....It stinks big time!! Julie- I don't have one of your cards, but have MANY that have fallen apart that have been made with mono. I refuse to use it in my workshops as well....

LOVE mono multi~ beautiful stuff...works awesome, no buckling, holds great!! Love dimensionals.
Love Sticky strip.
Love the glue dots.
Love my ZIG 2 way glue- (Like the quickie pen I believe) has a ball point tip-perfect for small applications.
and for my every day use on EVERYTHING...my ATG gun.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that the SU snail is good. But if you dont like Mono - you probably wont like SU's snail runner. Alot of stampers are using the ATG gun. I have one, but it's kind of bulky so I only use it at home not at any of my demos or camps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

i use the 'red duck' and i love it...
great price- i get it at walmart

i also use zots glue dots, double sided tape, scotch tape and i too like SU dimentional dots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I really like the Creative Memories tape runner. I have found it holds very well and is so much easier for me to use vs. SU snail because it is easier to remove from the roll (none of that packing tape split thing) and is less messy.
Also a fan of redliner and have tried a 2 way pen but haven't used it enough to be able to tell for sure how it's working.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Ok..excuse my ignorance, but what is an ATG glue gun? Where do you buy it? and can you use it for scrapbooking also?

I'm imagining my craft glue gun that burns me everytime I use it..but I know it's got to be a whole lot better than that.

Shawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, Julie, confession time! I have one of your cards and.....
the layers did NOT fall apart. Oh, wait a minute, that gorgeous card has NO layers!! LOL

ATG Gun is a huge plastic aparatus that sort of looks like a gun that holds a roll of really good double sided tape. I have the gun that holds 1/4 inch double sided tape that does NOT fall apart. Unfortunately, I'm am majorly tool impaired and my ATG tape gets all messed up -- the roll falls out of the gun thing and I get tape everywhere.

I also have a hard time with the Mono Multi glue -- I almost always push too much out of the container and it oozes out the edges of whatever I'm trying to adhere. I am absolutely convinced that this is me and not these products...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I must have some really old, but good Mono (haven't re-ordered in a long time). . . unless someone's not telling me that my cards are fallin' apart . . . :confused:
I noticed it first with Christmas cards that I made too many of and did not send out - still had them a while later (maybe a few months?) and the main layer had fallen inside the envelopes on most of the cards. It can sometimes be a benefit, though... it's always easier to fix a mistake and reposition with Mono than it is with a liquid glue (darn near impossible with liquids). If I am submitting something that needs to be approved, I sometimes stick things down with Mono, then go back and re-stick with Zip or Mono Multi. That way, I can make any adjustments that are requested without having to redo the whole card. But, this is all coming from a very AR person, so... that might have something to do with it!

If it would make you feel any better, I would be willing to offer myself up as a sacrificial candidate to receive a mono card from you and let you know how it held up! ;)

(PS - I previewed my post and I think it's hilarious that it was edited so that "an*l" showed up as "****" so I switched it to "AR." SCS is gettin fancy now... I like it!)
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I also have a hard time with the Mono Multi glue -- I almost always push too much out of the container and it oozes out the edges of whatever I'm trying to adhere. I am absolutely convinced that this is me and not these products...
I agree... this can happen. Takes some getting used to. I found that I was so used to trying to get the Mono runner right along the edge that I was doing that with the liquid, too, know what I mean? I had to re-train myself and back off the edges and the amount that I was using... a little dab'll do ya, as they say.
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I am a fan of the Duck!!!!!!!!!! I also get it at WalMart. Lately it is been hard to find. I buy the four pack for $8.97.
Carla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have used the Duck--'cause I *really* want a tape runner that works. But, compared to the value of Multi and Scotch Quick Dry, the Duck just can't compare. With the Multi and Scotch, my adhesive cost per card is 2 cents. :-) Duck does stick, but I've had problems with the runners breaking.

I love the Sakura glue pen for tiny things! Glue dots, pop dots, Oh So Sticky sheets, Royal Coat Decoupage round out my adhesive collection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Ok, Julie, confession time! I have one of your cards and.....
the layers did NOT fall apart. Oh, wait a minute, that gorgeous card has NO layers!! LOL
Bwa ha haaaaaaaaa!!!
Mebbe that's what I need to do: only make no-layer cards from now on!

Quote:

ATG Gun is a huge plastic aparatus that sort of looks like a gun that holds a roll of really good double sided tape. I have the gun that holds 1/4 inch double sided tape that does NOT fall apart. Unfortunately, I'm am majorly tool impaired and my ATG tape gets all messed up -- the roll falls out of the gun thing and I get tape everywhere.
I can see it works awesome, but, the dispenser really is large and cumbersome looking . . . ???

Quote:

There has got to be something akin to Mono that works well, and not ridiculously spendy, UKWIM?

Mebbe I should test Zip Dry . . . I do hear great things about it--it's just that I love instant dry adhesive runners soooooooo much--convenient and compact, UKWIM? . . . *sigh* . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

I have a feeling that the Mono works great depending on where you are geographically. I swear by the stuff!! I put layers together and can't get them apart if I happen to lay them down crooked. I also love zig two way glue in all sizes, red tape, dementionals.glue dots, scotch liquid glue, mono multi. I like different adhesive for different things, butt have also been well ENABLED! LOL Joan, I have been known to squeze a small drop of mono multi on a paint brush and brush it on my project, then just rinse my brush with warm water. It works great for avoiding the oozing effect. HTH

SAHM and SU! Demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

I love the dimensionals by SU! Especially love the fact that you don't have "leftover" on the sheet when you're done using the pre-cut pop dots.

I've had the same trouble with mono & the like. It starts to come apart awhile after.

The ATG gun is on my list to purchase. I've only heard good things about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I love my Hermafix dotto removable! I am fairly new to stamping and need to *move* things around all the time. Then, when satisfied with my card, I put a dab of Crafter's Pick The Ultimate glue under the corners. Crafter's Pick the Ulitmate won't buckle the paper (I spread pretty thin) and it's GREAT for embellishments. Sometimes I use my Therm O Web memo tape runner XL permanent, but it's spendy, so I use sparingly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 03:06 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I buy the square pop up's at my dollar tree store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 07:00 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfan
I love my Hermafix dotto removable! I am fairly new to stamping and need to *move* things around all the time. Then, when satisfied with my card, I put a dab of Crafter's Pick The Ultimate glue under the corners. Crafter's Pick the Ulitmate won't buckle the paper (I spread pretty thin) and it's GREAT for embellishments. Sometimes I use my Therm O Web memo tape runner XL permanent, but it's spendy, so I use sparingly!
MMmm, yeah! I have that stuff, and love it, too, for embellishments!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I just ordered an ATG gun and it will be here tomorrow. I have a feeling that that is going to be my new favourite adhesive
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sticky Fight

OK, I had a fight with my SNAIL adhesive tonight & we are no longer on speaking terms.....

I really liked my Creative Memories Tape Runner & Mini Tape Runner, but I just ran out of refills & have heard they have changed a little (mine are about 4 years old). Now I need to try & find something I like or find a CM friend in the KC area to support my adhesive need. ;)

I love the SU! Stampin' Dimensionals & Mini Glue Dots. But I am so disappointed in the betrayal of my SNAIL. I thought we were going to be good friends, but it had to go & get all wonky on me.

Any more great suggestions for adhesives, or adhesive/stamper counseling? I need help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

My Mono runner is fine, but I know I've seen cards fall apart. Sometimes I use a combo of the runners and a dot or two of glue, so it'll stick no matter what. LOVE the Mono Multi glue, but I'm too messy to use it much.... it will leave small smears that drive me bonkers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

I love my mono adhesives, but only on smooth surface card stock. When I use it on my Bazzill cs and the likes, it falls apart. I'm near Vancouver, BC so I'm not sure if it has to do with the moisture in the air or not, as it never stops raining here....:( So, when I use my textured cs, I use photosplits.

My evolving gallery
My New Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

Does anybody use Red Duck? (I think that's what it's called . . . )
Opinions?
Hey Julie-to answer your question about Red Duck tape. I personally love the stuff and especially after pulling an extra stash of handmade Christmas cards from the attic this year!! They were still holding together after a hot Georgia summer in my attic. I packed them in ziploc bags and used a priority mail box to keep things organized-pulled them out with my Christmas decorations and found they were in perfect shape. So purely by accident I discovered the brand for me!!!! Red Duck all the way! Hope this helps!
Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 12:43 AM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Looks like there are so many good products out there but I want to add my two cents: I love Mono Multi but can't readily find it except at Joann's which is too far from me. SOOO, I found that Elmer's No-Wrinkle Glue Pen works wonderfully! It holds great and dries super quick but you still have a few seconds of repositioning time. However, the tip isn't as fine as Mono so it takes some practice to apply it thin enough so it doesn't ooze. I stamp fairly regularly and one pen lasts me about 6 months! You get 1 oz (more than Mono) for under $2.89 at Michaels...could not find at ACM...and you can use a 40% coupon! And, it does NOT wrinkle even the thinnest paper ('cuz sometimes...ahem...I use cheapo paper for smaller layers). ;) About the Zip glue: a girl I stamp with uses it and it is extremely malodorous, although it does hold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Can anyone tell me the consistency of mono multi? Is it a rubbery type clear glue (like rubber cement) or more of a clear dries hard and cracks glue like super glue? Or is it milky like Elmers? Tia

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

I really like my red duck too! (I think it's called Easy Stick). It's cheap, easy to find and holds very well. I also find it dispenses smoothly. I have started using mounting tape in lieu of pop dots. It's much cheaper, and it really sticks. I love my red tacky strip too.. I buy different brands sometimes even get it from OTC.

...but I think I might save my pennies and give the ATG gun a try! I hear so many good things about it. And true to form, I HAVE to get the latest and greatest that you all talk about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_H
Can anyone tell me the consistency of mono multi? Is it a rubbery type clear glue (like rubber cement) or more of a clear dries hard and cracks glue like super glue? Or is it milky like Elmers? Tia
It's more like Elmers, but soooooo much better! First of all, it won't buckle paper. Second, it dries *very* quickly. In fact, you probably only have 10-20 seconds before it is *set*, so you better get it right! LOL

I love the Multi. Lately, I have been buying the Scotch Quick Dry because I can get it at Target (on the scrapbook aisle). It's basically the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingShawn
Ok..excuse my ignorance, but what is an ATG glue gun? Where do you buy it? and can you use it for scrapbooking also?

I'm imagining my craft glue gun that burns me everytime I use it..but I know it's got to be a whole lot better than that.

Shawn
Here's a link to the ATG thread..
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysings
It's more like Elmers, but soooooo much better! First of all, it won't buckle paper. Second, it dries *very* quickly. In fact, you probably only have 10-20 seconds before it is *set*, so you better get it right! LOL

I love the Multi. Lately, I have been buying the Scotch Quick Dry because I can get it at Target (on the scrapbook aisle). It's basically the same thing.
Is the Scotch Quick Dry as good as the Mono Multi? I can't find the Multi here in Ottawa! Our Ms doesn't carry it. But they have the Quick Dry, so if it's as good I will run out and get that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #40  
Compulsive Stamper

Can anyone tell me how Yes glue compares to these others?
Reply With Quote Likes