Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixed Media mixing palates?

Hi all - quick question? Has anyone found a good mixing palate for mixed media's? You know, like the right half of the Tim Holtz mixed media package, just the glass piece? I want it big enough to mix different colors of different media's, inks, watercolors, pastels, etc., not just water based media?

I could be totally over-thinking this. Maybe it's just a piece of glass, but I do love a good tool ;)

Thanks for your thoughts!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m not familiar with Tim’s Mixed Media Package, But aside from suggesting that some mediums prefer ceramic more than plastic, these larger ceramic coated tray palettes are nice. I first started using one for watercolors after a blogger I follow (Lisa Spangler) mentioned them. These may not be the ones she used. They’re big enough that it’s easy to keep different puddles separate.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/b...tray-palettes/

I got this one, which I think is the same that DB carries:
Amazon.com: Enamel Butcher Tray 7x10.5 inches: Industrial & Scientific

I also bought a sectioned one mostly for watercolors; I slip it into a baggie when done and my gel watercolors stay usable.

If you want different sections, ceramic is nice. Here’s an article:
https://www.scratchmadejournal.com/b...lettes-reviews

That said, ceramic or porcelain of other types work well. Some instructor suggested going to a dollar store or any store and buying a white ceramic plate or small, shallow baking dish. The article above mentions it. (I have a small, rectangular baking dish with low sides, and use it in the kitchen, but one of these days it just might disappear from there. ;))

Last edited by bjeans; 09-11-2019 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Thanks! What a great idea! I do love old china as well so a nice old ceramic tray might just do the trick besides being a pretty tool - lol. I'll think about that divided part too. I can see where that'd be handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Betty Krause on YouTube (abstract painter) uses 4 mil? clear plastic spread over her table as a massive palette. I want to try that one day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

You can buy the Ranger mat by the foot and 39” wide at joggles.com to cover an entire table top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 04:27 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
Betty Krause on YouTube (abstract painter) uses 4 mil? clear plastic spread over her table as a massive palette. I want to try that one day!

Yes? I'd think the paint would bead up on the plastic. Maybe it depends on the plastic. Thanks! I surely love the size idea. It just makes you think bigger naturally, doesn't it? How fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 04:29 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Oh? What a fun site Joggles is. I didn't find the mat thou. What would it be called? I do have Ranger mats although they're smaller and gold toned. I'd be more interested in white to really see what the heck I'm doing Thanks again for great links!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 04:32 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Watercolors wouldn’t love plastic, preferring glass, porcelain, ceramics, but acrylic paint should be okay. I’d rather have something that all mediums play nice with. The Tim Holtz glass mat works well when I don’t use a lot of a medium, though my gel watercolors always go in a palette since they can be saved and re-wet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwarnersccfView Post
Oh? What a fun site Joggles is. I didn't find the mat thou. What would it be called? I do have Ranger mats although they're smaller and gold toned. I'd be more interested in white to really see what the heck I'm doing Thanks again for great links!

It’s the same beige color. When I contacted Ranger to see if they had larger mats, they directed me to Joggles.

Googling “Joggles ranger mat” pops it up. : )
Ranger NonStick Craft Sheet - BY THE FOOT - SHIPS SEPARATELY - Joggles.com

It’s not cheap but at 39” wide and as long as needed it’s great, and with a little care should last eons. (My regular sized Ranger mat that I adhered to a self-healing cutting mat was fine after years of use. I didn’t cut on it! lol)

If you watch Barb’s videos on the Joggles blog, that’s what she works on. I ended up using a Tim glass mat instead, which has a white area for accurate color viewing, and my table tops are covered with plexiglass.

But someone could cover their table top with glass and adhere white paper underneath wherever they want their white “palette” to be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwarnersccfView Post
Yes? I'd think the paint would bead up on the plastic. Maybe it depends on the plastic. Thanks! I surely love the size idea. It just makes you think bigger naturally, doesn't it? How fun!

Here's a video showing how she does it... She talks about the plastic at approximately 8:00 (she works mainly in acrylics):

Last edited by poppydarling; 09-12-2019 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

What about a large ceramic tile from the hardware store? They're really inexpensive. I have a couple of 6" square ones, but there are larger ones as well.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 06:27 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
What about a large ceramic tile from the hardware store? They're really inexpensive. I have a couple of 6" square ones, but there are larger ones as well.

I switched (from glass or a craft mat in my case) to trays/palettes for paints that can be reconstituted with water so they can be wrapped without smooshing the paints. Thinking of Qor gel watercolors mostly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a white enamel butcher tray sometimes, craft mat, save those white plastic lids from jars in your recycling, even a coated paper plate if you are on the go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

We R Memory Keepers has a tempered glass work surface that I like. It’s also nice for alcohol marker coloring (bleed through), and anything messy like glue,etc. I just wipe it clean. If it’s something really stuck on, acetone takes it right off. It’s 13x13 with ruled edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Default Ceramic Tiles

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I love using my ceramic tiles. I have several sizes depending on the craft space I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I just bought a photo frame at the dollar store. The kind with no frame, just a backing, glass and some clips to keep it together. That way the glass edges aren’t raw like with a normal pane of glass from a cheap frame. Works perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I use Crafters Companion glass mat. It's large, light weight, and has a white background, which is very helpful for my old eyes.
Glass Cutting Mat - 13" x 19" | Crafter's Companion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Glass media mat

Quote:

Originally Posted by GusterryView Post
We R Memory Keepers has a tempered glass work surface that I like. It’s also nice for alcohol marker coloring (bleed through), and anything messy like glue,etc. I just wipe it clean. If it’s something really stuck on, acetone takes it right off. It’s 13x13 with ruled edges.
I have this glass mat and use everything on it. Alcohol based hand sanitizer also removes most things. Anything that’s in a thick glob like glue gun glue or paint comes off easily by sliding a craft knife under the edge to scrape it off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't remember where I saw the idea, maybe here - she took a piece of stark white grid paper and marked out 1 inch squares with a fine line marker and then laminated it. I think she might have backed the paper with a piece of tagboard like food packaging to make it a little more sturdy. When she wanted to save the paint, she slid it into a large sized Ziploc bag, like a gallon size or bigger. I thought it was a cool idea and cheap, however, I use the plastic oatmeal lids to mix my paint on. I use a water brush with watercolor crayons and the lid works just fine. I have enough lids now to have one for every color in the rainbow. Bonnie Krebs of Art Impressions sells a palette she uses for her watercolor markers. WCPLT – Watercolor Palette – Art Impressions
As far as a table palette, go to the Dollar store and buy a big white shower curtain to spread out on the table. She said she peels the dried paint off after her painting session. Or, buy a white metal enamel jelly roll cake pan from the dollar store or thrift store.

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 09-17-2019 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2019, 05:30 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Tim Holtz glass mat. I also have some porcelain 4" round coasters I purchased from Dollar store. Perfect when I need just a quick mix or a more portable way to mix colors. I have a few on my shelf, ready to us. I also have the Mijello white, covered, paint tray. It has a large section in the center for mixing. I use it for my watercolors. I think I purchased it from Michaels in the art department...used a coupon.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2019, 05:43 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

One thing to consider is how much color mixing or tinting/shading is done. If frequently mixing colors, more space is nice. No matter how neat and compactly I start out, even for simple pops of color, I end up with a lot of paint puddles from making new colors or to lighten or darken colors - even if I don’t need them. I can’t help myself; it’s fun.

With quality watercolors, the butcher’s tray or ceramic welled palette work well. With the incredibly cheap and adored Michael’s 36-color Art Loft set, the lid has tons of wells so that works, and I don’t care that it’s plastic.

So a question to ask is how do you use your paints?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Tonic Studios A3 glass cutting matt is a gridded and footed matt that is larger than Tim Holtz mat. Craft Stash has them for 16.59. You can also get a 15% coupon code for your first order. I love mine and use all sorts of paints and markers on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not too long ago, I purchased a rectangular watercolor palette from the $5.00 and Below store for $5.00. It's like a clamshell, fold it up and put it away after the mixed watercolors are dried up and you can reconstitute the watercolor mixtures with a drop of water again the next day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

I use a white enamel butcher tray sometimes, craft mat, save those white plastic lids from jars in your recycling, even a coated paper plate if you are on the go.

I use Reynolds butcher paper as palettes, as well as covering working work surfaces (large lazy susan, under glass mat, etc.) And, I don't change with each color group. I just wipe it clean with water or alcohol spray and sponge.
Reply With Quote Likes