Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mini Die Cutting Machine -- Cgull?

I'm thinking of teaching some classes and would like to buy a small, light-weight die cutting machine. I'm just looking for something to cut out stamped shapes on the go.

I found this guy--
https://www.craftdirect.com/mini-die...ine-cgull.html

Inexpensive, small, lightweight.

Has anyone heard of this or used it?

Any other machines that you recommend?

Lightweight is key. I would probably stuff this in my backpack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I clicked on our link and this is only 3 inchs wide. If you want something small and light weight look into a Cuttlebug as another option. They can emboss regular folders and cut dies that are the size of an A2 card.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for your reply : )

I looked at the cuttlebug, but from the description it seems pretty heavy - 8-9 pounds.

I already have a bigshot at home. This would be a second machine for limited use during classes, for example, cutting Lawn Fawn critters or Mama Elephant pandas. A lot of my PTI dies are pretty small. Even some of my SU dies are small like Itty Bitty Banners.

It's a bummer that the cgull doesn't do EFs, but I really need something light weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 05:48 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Sorry, no experience to offer but I remembered seeing that Spellbinder have introduced a mini machine and thought it worth mentioning in terms of it being a brand we all know. It weighs in at 1.8lb according to the specs. It's called the Prizm and it looks like there are some bundles on offer at the moment so I'll hook you up to the search results page rather than just the machine: Prizm. The flower wall art bundle looks particularly good value to me!

Hope you find something to suit your needs!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Oh, and a thought on being able to do some embossing with a mini machine - Cuttlebug had some little square folders and Sizzix has some long, slim borders (including words) which should both fit. I know it's not quite the same as a full background piece but if you just wanted to introduce students to the magic of embossing it might be worth considering.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I've got the Baby Blue from Tattered Lace. It's 10"W x 4"D x 6" H and weighs 2.4 pounds. Like the C-gull, it only accommodates 3" dies or folders, but I've LOVED it and used it more than my Big Shot lately! The price varies widely from place to place where it's available, so look around if you decide to check it out. I got mine from Create and Craft in a bundle with a slew of dies, so I couldn't tell you how the cost broke down per item...

I checked out the Prizm that Joanne mentioned and it only accommodates 2 1/2" wide. Also, as she mentioned, there are mini embossing folders and borders and such that would work in a mini machine. Most of my dies fit in the Baby Blue. The only ones that don't are the larger sizes in sets of Nestabilities (and similar), and regular-size embossing folders.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to know these exist. I bought a used revolution machine about a year ago. I don't know how long it will last. It fits on my desktop and I use it for the little stuff just so I don't have to go into another room to use my Big Shot. Great to hear about desk sized options. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Sue, Glad to hear you like the Baby Blue. I looked into the Prizm -- thank you Joanne! -- but the reviews are a bit mixed on Amazon and Spellbinders, if you read them (although that bundle is so tempting for the price).

I wonder if any of these machines can handle a sizzlit or decorative strip die?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I looked at the Amazon Baby Blue reviews. There were a few that had sent them back due to a flaw but the other reviews were good. I would tend to trust reviews on SCS over other sites but they were verified purchases also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Good luck in your search. Just a thought on embossing.......JoAnns and/or Hobby Lobby have some good sales on embossing folders and you could probably cut a few down to fit whatever machine you end up with.

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
Sue, Glad to hear you like the Baby Blue. I looked into the Prizm -- thank you Joanne! -- but the reviews are a bit mixed on Amazon and Spellbinders, if you read them (although that bundle is so tempting for the price).

I wonder if any of these machines can handle a sizzlit or decorative strip die?
You made me curious, so I tested: The Baby Blue comes with one "A" plate and two "B" plates. You use the A plate as the base of the sandwich and the B plate as the cutting surface with most dies. I tried out a small Cuttlebug die with both B plates and a shim (80 lb cardstock) and it worked well. For the Sizzlit, I needed 110 lb cardstock plus thin paper to shim, but it was decent, as well. The issue with the decorative strip dies is that they are really long, and the plates are only 6" or so, so you'd have to keep moving everything to cut the full length, which gives a much larger margin for error...

I forgot to mention two things earlier: the 10" width (really 9 1/2") of the Baby Blue includes the handle - the actual machine is only 6 1/2" wide. I also doubted the weight (listed as 2.4 lb). I haven't weighed it, but I can VERY easily move it anywhere with one hand - just grab it and go!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 07-23-2017 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Can you get replacement cutting plates for the Baby Blue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I watched several videos reviewing this machine. The most professionally done video I thought was this one. https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you go to Create and Craft, they have just the Baby Blue listed at $49.99, but the bundle that includes the Baby Blue PLUS a "Die Cutting Expert" magazine is only $30.98 - go figure... Here's a link: Tattered Lace Baby Blue Die Cutting Machine with Guide to Die Cutting Magazine (427344) | Create and Craft

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DON'T buy the Prizm! I have a Grand Calibur and a BigKick but they were too heavy and big to travel with so I bought a Prizm.First time I used it I used a piece of piece of regular 65 lb ColorBok paper and the smallest fern die from the Spellbinders Die D-Lites Ferns Etched DIes, the base plate and the cutting plate.
I started to run it through and it stuck. I tried backing it out when I heard the clicking. The clickingwas the plastic teeth inside of the Pizm no longer matching up to make the rollers well, Roll!
I took it back and got another. It worked fine for a month before the same thing happened.
Took it back, figured 3rd time's the charm.
Nope. At least I had this one for 3 months before it stopped workiing and Micheals won't take it back as the packaging is gone as it the receipt.
Now, I am out of a travelling die machine. I'd love to try another small one, but now that I have been burnt 3 times, I cannot help but think all small die machines are weak like the Prizm.
Plastic gears for Pete's sake!!
If you do buy a Prizm, I wish you much better luck than I have had with mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the input Saphyre. Another reason to try the baby blue instead.

My only concern about the baby blue right now is the ability to get replacement plates.

Still thinking on this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2017, 01:06 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Saphyre333 is so right. Beware Prizm. I have read many owners c/o broken machines. I swear by the Cuttlebug for portability and it being able to cut steel rule dies as well as thin ones. That's why it is a bit heavy. But study as heck.I have Big Shot, and Vagabond as well as my Cuttlebug. I will never give up my Cuttlebug.

But ladies, Sizzix will becoming out with a folding Big Shot that looks similar to Cuttlebug. It is already out in the UK. But will be here in the States sometime next year. OMG. Can't wait.

Also the Sidekick is back under Tim Holtz name and should be in stores soon.

I'm going to the poor house. I wonder if they let me in with some of my tools, paper, stamps and ink pad.

Last edited by Savagetwin; 10-31-2017 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2017, 03:49 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tattered Lace offers replacement plates, but it seems that you can only find them in the UK. Every place I found them in the US was sold out...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 10-31-2017 at 03:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2017, 02:45 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

There's also the Diamond Press by Crafter's Companion. It can only accommodate small dies, but it is an affordable option. https://www.hsn.com/products/diamond...bundle/8322944
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2017, 04:30 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The gray Sidekick is available now in some shops. Extra plates are readily available. 2.75 opening that will accept dies/folders up to 2.5 inches. Specs say it's 2 pounds. Reviews on Amazon make for a good read, though it's less expensive elsewhere.

I wish there was a way to know how comfortable it is to crank, what the grip is like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2017, 05:36 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a riot. Here we were, waiting for a mini Stamp Platform and... this!

I confess I was skeptical when I started watching that video. Yes, it's portable, but I don't need portable, and my diecut machine is always out, I don't need to get it out when I want to use it.

But darned if TH hadn't convinced me by the end that there was a practical reason to have this thing. And of course, it doesn't hurt that it is (as he said ten times) really, really cute.

I don't know that I would buy it, but I can see why others would.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't know if they are still available, but Tuesday morning had side kicks for sale during the summer!They were the little red ones.

Wish I could remember the price but there maybe a few still out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2017, 07:33 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just fyi, to make the red Sidekick work the way the gray or Tim Sidekicks do, an adaptor or plates for the gray or Tim SK are needed. (The gray is identical to the Tim, just comes with different stamps/dies.)

Very tempted by the gray. The Cuttlebug is out all the time and I just reach to my right into an Expedit cube to get the plates, so nice and easy aka lazy, but when die cutting small shapes it sure would be nice not to crank so many times. (Minor permanent hand/thumb injury + a bit of arthritis.) That is, if it's a comfortable cranker. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

HSN has a Gemini Jr at an intro price of $149.95 for a huge package deal! They were saying it only weighs 4lbs, and it's electric, and does heavy duty cutting like the original Gemini! Looks like a great deal!!!

Last edited by lovetostamp3; 11-06-2017 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: corrected price
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I went with the Baby Blue. It was on sale for just $19.99 (not anymore), and I was able to get a replacement A plate for an additional $10. I bought it from Create and Craft. Their prices seem to vary widely day-to-day.

I like that it's a full 3" wide. And the plates are relatively long for a machine of this size. It's nice and light weight and easy to move.

I have noticed that I need to run more intricate dies through the machine a few times to get good cuts. A very thin shim would probably work too. It's fine for my purposes, but you have to be ready to be patient with the fussier dies (which are of course an issue even on larger machines).

I prefer the look of the white and gray Sidekick -- I lean toward a more modern and less feminine look. I didn't even realize this was an option before I purchased the Baby Blue. However, you lose a half inch in width with the Sidekick. And because I got such a great deal, the Sidekick is a lot more expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2017, 03:05 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
I went with the Baby Blue. It was on sale for just $19.99 (not anymore), and I was able to get a replacement A plate for an additional $10. I bought it from Create and Craft. Their prices seem to vary widely day-to-day.

I like that it's a full 3" wide. And the plates are relatively long for a machine of this size. It's nice and light weight and easy to move.

I have noticed that I need to run more intricate dies through the machine a few times to get good cuts. A very thin shim would probably work too. It's fine for my purposes, but you have to be ready to be patient with the fussier dies (which are of course an issue even on larger machines).

I prefer the look of the white and gray Sidekick -- I lean toward a more modern and less feminine look. I didn't even realize this was an option before I purchased the Baby Blue. However, you lose a half inch in width with the Sidekick. And because I got such a great deal, the Sidekick is a lot more expensive.
I hope you have better luck getting your order from Create & Craft than I did. I ordered a Christmas kit back in September, and I never received it. I had to open a PayPal dispute to get my money back, and that was after contacting them 3 times and being told to "wait a little longer." They also have deleted my account. I would never order from them again, even though I love some of their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Scrapjanny -- It's funny, but I almost received it too quickly. I think that I got it in only one or two days. I was shocked! Maybe I live one town over from their warehouse?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 05:29 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I hope you have better luck getting your order from Create & Craft than I did. I ordered a Christmas kit back in September, and I never received it. I had to open a PayPal dispute to get my money back, and that was after contacting them 3 times and being told to "wait a little longer." They also have deleted my account. I would never order from them again, even though I love some of their products.
I read about your issue on another thread. I'm so sorry that you had that experience! I didn't have any issue at all when I ordered my Baby Blue, so maybe they're better at the "regular" merchandise than kits or seasonal stuff...? Weird... In any case, to delete your account (like you never existed or something) is inexcusable!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 11-11-2017 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Just wondering if you can use the Cuttlekids machine with the regular dies. That would be another option for a portable die cut machine. I'm also looking for a portable one for cardmaking on the go. I also have a Bigshot and Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by aalvarezView Post
Just wondering if you can use the Cuttlekids machine with the regular dies. That would be another option for a portable die cut machine. I'm also looking for a portable one for cardmaking on the go. I also have a Bigshot and Cuttlebug.
The only dies that don't work are the steel rule dies. The Thinlits work fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

What is the difference between the steel rule dies and thinlits? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Steel rule dies are the ones embedded in thick plastic (i.e. the original Sizzix dies and the Bigz). The Thinlits are made of much thinner plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by aalvarezView Post
What is the difference between the steel rule dies and thinlits? TIA
Steel rule dies can cut several layers of paper, felt or fabric at one time. Yes they are blades embedded usually in wood surrounded by foam type material. The thinlits are metal, steel dies that are very thin. But some can cut various materials too. But not like the steel rule dies.
Unlike the steel rule dies, thinlits can cut out images that you can actually see as they have an open space.
Wafer thin dies can be very very intricate in design. Here is a good explanation of the differences between the dies:

https://iteachstamping.com/2015/07/d...lits-and-dies/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I also wish that the steel rule dies would fit in the Gemini.
Reply With Quote Likes