Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 844 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Minc

My daughter is considering including partially foiling her wedding invites so we are looking at Minc's and standard laminators.
Have any of you used a Minc AND a regular laminator? Which one do you prefer? I need consistent good results without too much fussing.
Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 03:38 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, I can't help - don't actually see the point of a foiling machine, or maybe I'm missing something?

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 03:44 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have one (but I want one). Jennifer McGuire, and GinaK I think, use a Royal Sovereign in their videos. It's only about $30. Minc has a 6-inch model for around $50. Here's a comparison video: Video Comparison: the Minc and other laminators - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 05:52 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I think the Spellbinders- Glimmer Machine is the way to go! It foils SO MUCH BETTER than the Minc! I have a Minc & the new Glimmer Machine, BOTH! The Minc operates with Toner. I have found that the Toner doesn't necessarily take the foil well & you could go through the foil..... Not to mention the card stock & frustration, wanting good coverage. I would ONLY recommend your using the Minc IF you have a Laser Type of printer, as that is the kind of Toner it works with. There are sprays & pens, but with the pen, you can't do detailed work at all & the pen seems to dry up. With the Minc, the Minc IS a laminating machine.

Now, with the Glimmer Machine, it works with Pressure & Heat. The Glimmer Machine is new on the market & other companies have come out with the same type of machine too. The price is about the same on all of them. (I purchased mine through Hobby Lobby, using their 40% off coupon, which made it a steal!) I use my Glimmer Machine SO MUCH MORE than the Minc! Also, Spellbinders has LOTS OF GORGEOUS Glimmer Dies to get the foiling you want! There is quite a selection & I think they're PERFECT for weddings! You heat your glimmer die up on the platform of the Glimmer Machine, layer on the foil & card stock & plates, & when ready, you run it through your die cutting machine cranking slowly. For the die cutting machine, you NEED to have a die cutting machine that has steal bars, so a Cuttlebug won't work. The glimmer platform is what you run through the die cutting machine & it fits the Big Shot & Spellbinders Platinum & those machines also have the steel bars.

If you check Simon Says Stamp or google "Hot Foiling Machines" you will find several different kinds of Machines. They also offer their own Hot Foiling Dies too. But, I would have to say that Spellbinders would have the dies I think you're looking for!

HAPPY PLANNING!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 05:53 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Foiling

I have tried both a laminator and a Minc. I found the Minc is better, maybe slightly hotter or has more pressure than my laminator. However, I find it frustrating because I want it to be perfect and most of the time it is not. There are often tiny sections that don't foil properly. I set my printer on best quality I have even tried sending my design through my laser printer twice to see if more toner is better. And I think it is, but then the problem is getting the design to line up exactly when reprinting it.
As mentioned in tlady's comment, I think one of the new spellbinders foiling machines would be the way to go....drawbacks, you cannot use your own design but have to have their specific dies. Not a problem, though, if they have something appropriate.

Last edited by bons; 03-06-2019 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: More thoughts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi , just incase you're not aware (and in case you have an electronic cutting machine ! ) We R Memory Keepers have just launched their Foil Quill product . This works in conjunction with the most popular cutting machines (they include adapters that enable you to use this in conjunction with the ScanNCut/Silhouette/Cricuit or Sizzix electronic cutters) . The best value would be to purchase the "All-in-one" kit as this contains all 3 tips (Fine/Standard & Thick) plus some foils to get you started. This allows you to use all of your cutting patterns to draw the hot foil image on your project - US$99 for the complete kit direct from WRMK (maybe cheaper elsewhere on the net) .It also means that you don't then need to purchase any hot foil plates that can work out really expensive . Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Howie6955,

WHAT A GREAT THING to know! I didn't know this! ;) THANKS FOR THE INFO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howie6955View Post
Hi , just incase you're not aware (and in case you have an electronic cutting machine ! ) We R Memory Keepers have just launched their Foil Quill product . This works in conjunction with the most popular cutting machines (they include adapters that enable you to use this in conjunction with the ScanNCut/Silhouette/Cricuit or Sizzix electronic cutters) . The best value would be to purchase the "All-in-one" kit as this contains all 3 tips (Fine/Standard & Thick) plus some foils to get you started. This allows you to use all of your cutting patterns to draw the hot foil image on your project - US$99 for the complete kit direct from WRMK (maybe cheaper elsewhere on the net) .It also means that you don't then need to purchase any hot foil plates that can work out really expensive . Hope this helps

HSN had the Quill as their Today's Special during yesterday's craft day for $59.99. I just checked and they still have it at that price with a notation of just 15 remaining in stock so if you want it you might want to grab it. You can return it within 30 days of receiving it if you don't like it. (Mine should be delivered on Friday!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
HSN had the Quill as their Today's Special during yesterday's craft day for $59.99. I just checked and they still have it at that price with a notation of just 15 remaining in stock so if you want it you might want to grab it. You can return it within 30 days of receiving it if you don't like it. (Mine should be delivered on Friday!)

Let us know how you like it?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
Let us know how you like it?????
Absolutely.

I've been wanting a foil machine for awhile and had my eye on the Gemini or Spellbinders but I knew I wouldn't use it much to justify the price tag. BUT, I fell in love with some of the monogram foil stamps Crafter's Companion had on during Craft Day and went looking online for the cheapest price. I found the GoPress at Walmart for $76 w/free shipping so..........yeah, that's arriving on Friday as well. And I wonder why I can't save for retirement!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

LOL THAT is the reason I went for the SB-Glimmer Machine--the Monogram Die! AND I was FINALLY able to get my daughter into actually LIKING a little of my card making with it! (MAYBE, down the road when she isn't in Grad School, she MIGHT like to craft with me???? LOL) A little gold goes a LONG WAY with a girl!!!! LOL I don't have an electronic machine, but I think the Brother Machine sounds the nicest & what a TREAT to have the Foiling to go with it! I look forward to hearing how it goes! ;) I waited for diving into stamping until we retired. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the Minc machine, and like it very much. I rarely have problems with it not covering completely - usually it's a matter of not enough heat, so adjusting the heat setting takes care of the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven’t done tons of foiling, but my Scotch laminator works very well!
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 03:58 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by octoberbabeView Post
I haven’t done tons of foiling, but my Scotch laminator works very well!
Mary,

How do you use the foil with the laminator? I have the Scotch and I've tried using the transfer gel with stencils. I've tried hard to get the gel as smooth as possible but every time, you can see the uneven bits and it ruins the whole look. I must be doing something wrong.

Debra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 03:58 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howie6955View Post
HSN had it on Tuesday for $59:99
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 04:06 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
Absolutely.

I've been wanting a foil machine for awhile and had my eye on the Gemini or Spellbinders but I knew I wouldn't use it much to justify the price tag. BUT, I fell in love with some of the monogram foil stamps Crafter's Companion had on during Craft Day and went looking online for the cheapest price. I found the GoPress at Walmart for $76 w/free shipping so..........yeah, that's arriving on Friday as well. And I wonder why I can't save for retirement!
So weird quoting myself!

My quill arrived early, yay! I was so excited I didn't care it was a work night and tried to play with it but the scan & cut CanvasWorkspace is not cooperating. I've only used the scan & cut to cut stamped images and the rare instances I've tried to trace an image for drawing, Workspace wouldn't recognize all the lines. It did that again last night. I've asked for help in the scan & cut thread, hopefully someone there has an idea for me. I'm going to try testing it with a sentiment next. I want to make sure the device works overall within the 30 day return window and if it does I can eventually figure out a way to get the images to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

LOL You're off & running with this new machine! SO FUN!!! I'm doing a Custom Stamp for myself, & I'm finding that if the lines aren't thicker, they don't picture/photograph as well. Maybe the same with the Scanner Machine? Think of Coloring Pages & how they are thicker too..... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

LOL You're off & running with this new machine! SO FUN!!! I'm doing a Custom Stamp for myself, & I'm finding that if the lines aren't thicker, they don't picture/photograph as well. Maybe the same with the Scanner Machine? Think of Coloring Pages & how they are thicker too..... ;)
A custom stamp - NICE! That's way out of my expertise.

When they demo'd the quill they pointed out examples of how it can do such fine lines which is what sold me on it. I'm hoping that doesn't just pertain to the other cutting machines. It was suggested I try increasing the dpi on my scan and will give it a shot over the weekend. Fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

CAN'T WAIT to hear how it comes out! AND you should post a picture for us too! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

I have a random question about foiling: How does it hold up in the US mail? Does all that work get ruined or delivered as intended?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
I have a random question about foiling: How does it hold up in the US mail? Does all that work get ruined or delivered as intended?

Are you talking about foiling an envelope?
I've had no problems with a card going through the mail in an envelope, but I haven't foiled an envelope if that is what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

CAN'T WAIT to hear how it comes out! AND you should post a picture for us too! ;)
I finally got it to work!

I feel like I've hijacked beaddict's thread so I started this one with my results/thoughts:

We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill - Splitcoaststampers

Beaddict, My GoPress arrived and I'm going to try to use the piece of foil left over from this 'etching' to foil the negative image on cardstock so as not to waste the foil. I'll let you know how it goes. (The reason I've never considered a Minc is that I don't have a laser printer)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2019, 03:25 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

YES!!! HOW EXCITING that you got your foiling to work!!!!! It looks WONDERFUL! When you say it isn't perfect, even with seeing the original image (which I too have, ;) ) You can't tell it isn't perfect! It looks WONDERFUL!!! I'm SURE we're going to see MORE of this kind of LOVELY FOILING from you!!! TOTALLY EXCITED FOR YOU!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Are you talking about foiling an envelope?
I've had no problems with a card going through the mail in an envelope, but I haven't foiled an envelope if that is what you're talking about.
I was thinking of a card or tag that might get folded (or spindled or mutilated -- remember IBM cards?) in the mail or in use and wondering if the foil would crack, chip, or peel even though it's heat set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I was thinking of a card or tag that might get folded (or spindled or mutilated -- remember IBM cards?) in the mail or in use and wondering if the foil would crack, chip, or peel even though it's heat set.

Well, I have foiled a card & dry embossed it, & it is fine with the SB- Glimmer Machine! No cracking, chipping or peeling after mailing. BELIEVE ME, my daughter would have told me! LOL You know what, I just remembered, I did heat set embossing powder on it too when I made that card! You can see it here to get a good look:
Just For You! by TLady - at Splitcoaststampers

I have found that if the lines on the foiling dies are a little wide they don't foil as well, but I've found a remedy to that! I just touch it with an alcohol marker. When you turn the card at different angles, you can't tell it was lacking foil anyway. It just looks more covered with the touch of Alcohol marker. I had to do that with this card:
I LOVE YOU! by TLady - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I remember those IBM cards very well. My mother was key-punch operator back in the day. Thank you for the memory!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Don't know if this helps, but my local Tuesday Morning had a large sized Minc on their clearance for 60% off their price of $74.99. I think that makes it about $30?? Sacramento, CA area.
Reply With Quote Likes