Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom
Default Memory Box gets a thumbs down from me.

I purchased Memory Box's Musicality die. I cannot get a useable die cut out of it despite shimming and using waxed paper. I contacted Memory Box (the manufacturer) & 7kidscollegefund (the seller). Memory Box's solution is that I spend more money on a metal shim. I have larger more intricate dies that do not require the use of a metal shim. I do not think my spending money for a metal shim will solve the issue. Nor, do I think this warrants spending money to purchase a metal shim, when the hundreds of other dies I own work fine without it. Memory Box had lost me as a customer, if they won�t stand behind what they manufacture. Hopefully, 7kidscollegefund values me as a customer and will allow me to return the die.
Attached Thumbnails
Memory Box gets a thumbs down from me.-memory-box-musicality-die.jpg  

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found misting the cardstock with water when cutting intricate dies helps.

If misting does not do the trick, I'd request a replacement die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have one of their other music dies and it cuts like butter. No need for special shims or damping the card stock.
Did they not suggest that they would send another?

Such silly business people, don't they realise its better to send a replacement than to sit and suggest you spend more money. Its probably a defective one that didn't get a good cutting edge when manufactured.

I had a die from another company that would not cut totally thru. Their suggestion was could I take a photo so they could show the manufacturer and they sent a replacement. No second thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 AM   #4  

Default Customer Disservice

Quote:

Originally Posted by ailhelenView Post
I have one of their other music dies and it cuts like butter. No need for special shims or damping the card stock.
Did they not suggest that they would send another?

Such silly business people, don't they realise its better to send a replacement than to sit and suggest you spend more money. Its probably a defective one that didn't get a good cutting edge when manufactured.

I had a die from another company that would not cut totally thru. Their suggestion was could I take a photo so they could show the manufacturer and they sent a replacement. No second thoughts.
I contacted 7kidscollegefund & Memory Box. Theresa at Memory Box requested a photo, which I sent, explaining that I had tried snipping the die cut out with scissors and I gave up. Tabitha at 7kidscollegefund also contacted Memory Box. They've made a customer disservice decision. I also requested that if Memory Box won't step up to the plate 7kids will allow me to return the die.

Last edited by philsmom; 08-16-2014 at 04:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I'd suggest using new cutting plates, but then again you'd be spending money to make something work. Sorry you're frustrated. :(
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #6  

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I'd suggest using new cutting plates, but then again you'd be spending money to make something work. Sorry you're frustrated. :(
This is the only die I have had a problem with, so I don't think new cutting plates is the answer. I think the die is defective and Memory Box is being hard headed about it. Hopefully
7kidscollegefund will allow me to return it since I contacted them the day after I received the order from them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #7  

It is a brand new die. That is why I am so aggravated that Memory Box won't make good on it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Nice to know this die is problematic and memory box seems to not care about the quality of the dies they make
Won't be spending my $$ on this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

That is extremely frustrating. I tend to walk from a company if they don't make good. Shame on them if they don't. If all your solutions (minus the metal shim) don't work, I'd send it back. It sounds defective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 03:56 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow - I've always been a big supporter of Memory Box but now it makes me worry that if I get a defective product I'm stuck. What a shame
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denverkat276View Post
That is extremely frustrating. I tend to walk from a company if they don't make good. Shame on them if they don't. If all your solutions (minus the metal shim) don't work, I'd send it back. It sounds defective.
I left Tabitha from 7kidscollege fund a message that I want to return the die. I notified her within 24 hours of receiving the die that there was a problem, so she should take it back. I posted on MemoryBox's facebook page, but since posting there puts power back in the little people's hands, they only make it visible "post to post".

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies I sell and use lots and lots of Memory Box dies. Yes there have been some defective dies. I think that is the same as any company. I have never ever had an issue with them replacing dies that I or my customers find an issue with. One in particular was the birch trees. Returned several of those. Anyway, I have sold quite a few of the musicality dies a d have one in my personal stash too. So far no complaints about the way they cut. I guess I am just trying to say not to judge the whole company by one or two bad dies. They are mass produced and there is bound to be a few that are defective.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 04:06 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Ladies I sell and use lots and lots of Memory Box dies. Yes there have been some defective dies. I think that is the same as any company. I have never ever had an issue with them replacing dies that I or my customers find an issue with. One in particular was the birch trees. Returned several of those. Anyway, I have sold quite a few of the musicality dies a d have one in my personal stash too. So far no complaints about the way they cut. I guess I am just trying to say not to judge the whole company by one or two bad dies. They are mass produced and there is bound to be a few that are defective.
Blessings.
Unless I misread her post, the OP did contact MB about the die. They want her to purchase the metal shim plate, which will cost her more money. I think what she's upset about is that they won't replace the die, not that the die is defective. I'm a little put off by their response too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 05:08 AM   #14  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Blessings.
I am not judging a company by one or two mass produced dies. I am judging a company that won't stand behind a defective product. I can only go by my personal experience with a company. If I purchase something and it doesn't do what it is supposed to do and the company puts the onus on me, I have a problem with that. If the die is defective and I buy a metal shim like Theresa from Memory Box suggested, then I have thrown good money after bad. I do not know why Theresa would not offer to replace the die. All I know, is I have a die that cannot cut paper and a seller who asked the manufacturer to make good - with me stuck in the middle. I don't know if Memory Box is being stubborn or if Theresa is an inexperienced Customer Service rep.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Philsmom
Have you tried to contact Dave Brethauer via his Facebook page?
Dave is the owner of memory box
It's worth a try
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I agree, it's not about the dud. It happens. What upsets most of us as a consumer is that when you contact the company and they don't take it seriously and then want to sell you other merchandise. I don't think it's going to be an issue with this buyer because the actual company that she bought it from is willing to take the die back. They will deal with MB themselves.

If I'm wrong, my apologies, but I think its the customer service that seemed to have blown her off that is the issue.

All companies that do any mass production expects for there to have some faulty products slip through. In particular, I had issues with EK success. I can't tell you how many brand new punches that I have pulled out of their package and they did not work. It wasn't a problem because I was always able to send it back and get a replacement. That's the customer service that we look for in a company. Not, ".... well, buy this other product from us and it will work". She's cutting paper and it's obvious that it's a dud. They should replace or give her back her money. Not try to push more merchandise on her.

I feel this will work out better. The merchant that sold it to her is willing to take it to Memory Box. That works out great in the end. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #17  

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailblazerView Post
Philsmom
Have you tried to contact Dave Brethauer via his Facebook page?
Dave is the owner of memory box
It's worth a try
I had asked for the name of the CEO or President on their Facebook page on August 18 at 9:15 a. m. and I did not receive the courtesy of a reply. I didn't know how else to find the contact. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I used to use a metal shim with great results, on intricate dies like the one you're discussing. However, eventually the shim got too warped to be of any help, so I bought a new one, about two months ago. It warped badly right away. So I went to the hardware store to get something stronger. They sold me a piece of metal usually used in the roofing industry, but my Big Shot warped that on the first pass.

I suspect the Musicality die doesn't work for anyone, it's soooooo intricate. Have you seen it used by someone else?

It's so expensive, I surely wouldn't give up on getting your money back. Memory Box has always been so reliable in the past!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #19  

Well, I just opened my email and I have an email from Dave. Since my name on my Facebook account is my dog's name and a different email than my gmail account, I presume Tabitha went to bat for me with Memory Box. A new die is in the mail. But this experience has made me wary of dealing with Memory Box.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
I used to use a metal shim with great results, on intricate dies like the one you're discussing. However, eventually the shim got too warped to be of any help, so I bought a new one, about two months ago. It warped badly right away. So I went to the hardware store to get something stronger. They sold me a piece of metal usually used in the roofing industry, but my Big Shot warped that on the first pass.

I suspect the Musicality die doesn't work for anyone, it's soooooo intricate. Have you seen it used by someone else?

It's so expensive, I surely wouldn't give up on getting your money back. Memory Box has always been so reliable in the past!
I googled the die, there are some examples out there so it is cuttable. I always use the metal shim on intricut dies from any company. I stopped using the shim once I switched to my Ebosser. If I were using my Big Shot I would still use the shim.

I'm not sure how a metal shim bends since it is under the cutting plates on my Big Shot. I've bent many cutting plates, just never one of the shims. I would be concerned about the metal shims bending.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a defective MB die (it was a rolled flower) that I purchased at i {heart} papers. Kate was great about returning it and sending me a new one ASAP.

I hope MB can get this cleared up for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I've heard you use the metal shim under the acrylic plate, then I hear you use it against the die. I'm confused. Does anyone know for absolute sure? I have used mine both ways, but it would seem there would be a reason to use it against the die since anything thin could be used under the plate.

Last edited by muscrat; 08-21-2014 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: spelling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #23  

Memory Box sent a replacement-it took a lot of effort to get them to replace the defective die. The replacement die cuts just fine. I used no shim.
Attached Thumbnails
Memory Box gets a thumbs down from me.-memory-box-replacement-die.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 06:52 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end. Customers shouldn't have to jump through hoops, though, to get defective merchandise replaced. I'm still a little put off by this and will think twice before purchasing their products. Enjoy your die.
Reply With Quote Likes