Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-08-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default Magic Mat for die cutting

Scrapbook.com is offering a cutting mat to replace one of the die cutting plates to manual die cutting machines. They claim the Magic Mat (with grid marks) is self healing and will not warp. I ordered one since Scrapbook.com products are on sale.
https://www.scrapbook.com/store/sbc-mmat-3.html
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Kookie Creator

I saw that also--it looks cool. I watched the demo video they posted and it looks like it would save the 'wear and tear' on the cutting plates.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Proud Fan Club Member

That does look cool. It is a different size piece of the big mat I have on my table. In fact I "feel" like I have read here people have those up to use in their machines? when people were talking about plastic layers warping. 

Let us know what you think about it. 
pepperann likes this post.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

I have this one and so far love it https://i-crafter.com/product/i-mend...ting-deck-1pc/

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Old 11-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
Crimping Master

Are these mats spongy, like self healing mats for rotary cutters, or a harder mat? I have two different types of cutting mats, and one is harder than the other so am wondering what the magic mat is like.
Karen
Old 11-12-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
Stampin' Fool

I have one arriving today, but I am not expecting it to be ideal.  It's intended to be used as the plate that gets cut into, but isn't it the other plate that faces the back of the die that tends to do all the warping?  Hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
Insane Embellisher

I believe it will work just fine for me since I especially like the grid lines for lines. As of yet I haven't received mine, but I did receive a message from Scrapbook.com indicating it had shipped and they have sold out of the extended mats. 
Old 11-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

same!  Mine is due to arrive tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it after countless taped together broken plates and plates with dies that I need to use a pick to get them back out of the plate!

I'll be back with my thoughts after mine arrives!
Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I believe it will work just fine for me since I especially like the grid lines for lines. As of yet I haven't received mine, but I did receive a message from Scrapbook.com indicating it had shipped and they have sold out of the extended mats. 
DT:  The Project Bin
Old 11-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
Mad Swapper

I watched this video today where Scrapbook.com is showing the mat on several die cutting machines.  It does look like a great purchase.

<span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"

Featured Stamper #671
pepperann and kazeka like this post.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #10
Insane Embellisher

Well, that figures - I just bought a chrome plate for my big shot. Now, I have to go thru the mental battle of do I need this next great thing, too. 
Old 11-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #11
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2View Post
Well, that figures - I just bought a chrome plate for my big shot. Now, I have to go thru the mental battle of do I need this next great thing, too. 

The chrome mat is INCREDIBLE!!  That puppy can get clean cuts out of persnickety detailed dies like nothing else.    I’ve been using it exclusively in my BS for about 2 years and it’s still shiny after thousands of cuts.  I pair it with the magnet plate and there is NO slippage- those 2 plates never need readjusting, they go through the BS without fiddling.  

I just got the Magic Mat (for no other reason than it sounded neat, and it was on sale for around $10...hard to pass on new product at that price!).  I use it on top of my regular BS plate that has the attached flaps/shims.  The Magic Mat is super quiet when it cuts and everything I’ve cut so far has come out clean.  I have NOT tried any pesky intricate dies yet, so I can’t compare it to the Chrome plate results.  
Do you need it?  Probably not. Would you enjoy having it to use as an alternative? Likely yes.  
pepperann, TeeGeeDee and PJBstamper2 like this post.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #12
Insane Embellisher

Boss - thanks for the reply. I’m just starting to use dies so I can wait on the Magic Mat. I’ll just keep an eye out for a sale.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:56 AM   #13
Matboard Maniac

I only saw this at Scrapbook.com after it went out of stock. I’m hoping they bring it back soon and will be eager to hear what those who ordered think of it. 
Old 11-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #14
Hardware Hotshot

Checking back in after trying out the Magic Mat on some intricate dies.  Previously I had only used it for simple shape dies (ovals, rectangles,etc).
(As a reminder, I have been using the Chrome plate/magnet plate combo almost exclusively in my BS.)

Back to my experience cutting intricate dies and the Magic Mat/BS plate with flaps.  The dies I used for my experiment were Hero Arts Oval Woodgrain frames (they cut an oval frame that has sharp Woodgrain cuts within the frame) and SU Stitched Label Framelit (a fancy edge die with intricate doily-like cutouts on the inside edge and embossed stitch lines.)

To put it plainly, the Magic Mat FAILED to completely cut either of these dies, even after multiple passes through the BS, repositioning the dies so that they went in at a different angle, etc.   I sent the dies through at least 7 times!
Note: I did not add paper shims to add the cutting process, I relied solely on the Magic Mat & the regular BS plates. 
To make a fair comparison, I switched out to the Chrome Plate set up and tried the same dies on fresh cardstock. I ran the dies through and back one time (my usual routine, I’m too lazy to reach in back of the machine to retrieve the plates). The dies had 100% clean cuts, every tiny little hole was cut and stitch lines visible.
My conclusion: The Magic Mat is dandy to use on plain shapes.  It does not perform well on intricate dies.
Total eye opener for me, to discover my new product is less than amazing. 
pepperann, TeeGeeDee, kazeka and 1 others like this post.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #15
Polyshrink Goddess

I use my i-crafter mat because of warping plates. So far it's worked for me. I would think the magic mat would be similar.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Old 11-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #16
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the advice, Susy! Of course, now I’m thinking I may need the Magic Mat AND the Chrome Plate— if that would also work in a Spellbinders Platinum 6. 
Old 11-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #17
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thanks, susy for that information. The intricate dies are always the ones that give me the most grief, and I have recently purchased the chrome plate you mentioned and have had much greater success. I was wondering about the Magic mat but see they are already out of stock, so maybe it is something I can live without. I love SCS for all the tips I can learn here. I have to be more careful with my crafting dollars now days, and I don't need something just because it's new and out there especially if what I have will be sufficient. 
DianeinSparks likes this post.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #18
Cardstock Collector

I have the magic mat and the chrome plate (I love my chrome plate but hate that my plates are always warping.  I used the magic mat with one sizzix plate as instructed with a word die and it cut cleanly the first time but not the 2nd, so I added my metal shim plate under the mat and I haven't had a problem since.  My next experiment would be to try the Magic Mat with the chrome plate.  THe Magic Mat is similar to the WeRMemory Keepers Genius Ultimate Platform System which came out a few years back.  I liked the Genius but I found the plates were just a touch too thin to use with the BigShot (they were made for their diecutting machine) and you need shims to get clean cuts.  If the Magic Mat works with the Chrome plate, maybe I won't need to use Sizzix Plates at all but I will have to try it first.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #19
Insane Embellisher

Default Luv it!

Well, I've been giving the mat a good workout using my Big Shot Plus. I like the size, the feel of the mat and how it cuts. I also like that the grid marks are on both sides for lining up text, frames, etc. 
After I finish cutting, instead of removing the cuts from the mat while it's still in the BS, I remove the mat and set it on my work space.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #20
Embossing Fanatic

Location: Home is where the heart is - in my fabulous new stamping room!
Default Hmmm interesting but here’s a thought

The magic mat looks interesting but I’ve been using a Score-Pal mat as a plate in my BS for years. I simply had my husband cut a 12x12 mat down to size. I was able to get an extended “plate” and a standard sized plate. Works beautifully every time.
Hopefully ScorePal will see this and sell their pads already cut to these sizes for use in the BS
Old 11-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #21
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampdujourView Post
The magic mat looks interesting but I’ve been using a Score-Pal mat as a plate in my BS for years. I simply had my husband cut a 12x12 mat down to size. I was able to get an extended “plate” and a standard sized plate. Works beautifully every time.
Hopefully ScorePal will see this and sell their pads already cut to these sizes for use in the BS

Brilliant!      I knew that the Magic Mat reminded me of something I already have.  I have the Scor pal mat for my mini Scor Pal and have never used it.  I think you have hit on a a great idea to re-purpose the mat as a cutting plate. 
GramT likes this post.
Old Yesterday, 02:09 AM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

Or you can buy a regular self-healing mat much cheaper. I bought an Olfa mat (6" X 8") for $4.66 (binding101.com) to use in my Gemini Jr.  It works perfectly. I also bought a Dahle mat (9" X 12") for my full-size Gemini for $4.99 (mybinding.com). I just received the Dahle mat today, so I haven't had a chance to use it, but it's a perfect fit. (Dahle is a professional quality cutting mat; I would have gotten it in the smaller size, but 9 X 12 is the smallest size they make.)

With the Olfa, the only adjustment in the sandwich is that I removed the plastic shim. I have used it numerous times, and my top plate is not warping.

I've also found a replacement for the magnetic shim for the Jr: I use 6 X 8 magnetic sheets to store my dies. I substituted a magnetic sheet for the shim and it works perfectly. The magnetic sheets I use now come in 5" X 8", but they're only 48 cents each vs. the Gemini at $7.99.

TeeGeeDee, fl_beachbum, kazeka and 1 others like this post.
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #23
Crimping Master

Wow, thanks for all the great tips on die cutting. Looks like I already have several cutting mats, and magnetic storage sheets that I want to test out. I would much rather use what I have than buy another product for specific use. I have several large cutting mats that I have never used, and it's good to know that I can cut them down to fit my Big Shot.
Karen
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #24
Cardstock Collector

So in using a self-healing cutting mat in the Big Shot, what would be the sandwiches used for an open die and then an intricate die? I'm not getting a clear idea on this.