Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-13-2020, 08:39 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Palette icon Lots of Gina K Ink Pad Questions... : D

Are the Gina K ink pads foam/sponge or felt? The website just says "large raised pad". (I'm looking to slowly wean myself from ONLY buying SU! inks.....)

I read Gina K chose felt over foam/sponge, but that post was from 2017 and that could've changed since?

Also, are there frequent changes in the color lineup? Like, similar to how SU! operates? Just curious.

Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2020, 04:23 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Gina's pads are felt, like many other companies.  Her ink is a little blotchy when first stamped, but smooths out as it dries.  It is the same formula as Lawn Fawn, Simon Says Stamp, Hero Arts, WPlus9, and others.  They are all made in the same factory and their pad cases are the same size and feel with a lid that comes off.  She added new colors in 2019 and made an add-on collection of mini ink pads and cardstock, then a few more colors were added in early 2020?  These are very light colors for no-line coloring.  SU has the In colors that change every 2 years, but Gina does not do anything like that.  If a new color is introduced, it will remain in the store.

I like the mini ink pads from Gina better than SU spots.  I find the case is a bit thicker with a stronger lid.  I have most of Gina's colors in mini form and a few in full size.  They stay juicy for years. I have purchased a few re-inkers, for colors I use a lot, Black Onyx, Kraft, White Pigment and may Dark Chocolate.   

Many of the colors are the same color as SU.  I worked on a chart once, but it is not thorough.  They are close enough to work on color challenges.

Good Luck with your decision.  Feel free to keep asking questions.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
PizzaParty (03-27-2024)
Old 09-14-2020, 04:47 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The marketing approach to systematically retire and add new products is somewhat unique to SU and possibly other multilevel marketing companies. The other stamp companies don’t do that, though may add colors. 

You might enjoy a Justine Hovey video about choosing inks. Her advice to go with colors you love rather than restricting yourself to one brand makes sense to me. With most dye inks made at the same factory, if you primarily buy colors from one company but fall in love with a color from another company, there’s no need to limit yourself.

OTOH, if you prefer matching products like Gina K has with papers, inks, envelopes, etc., that could be the way to shop. I treat paper like ink - go with colors I love. 

Justine’s fave inks have foam pads and I tried them but prefer felt, maybe because it’s what I’m used to. 

GinaK also has the newer Amalgam inks which work with alcohol and water based markers. 

Beth

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I forgot to mention that in the Justine Hovey youtube video, at 2:25 she says with felt pads to get re-inkers but I’m 98.6% sure she meant foam based on what she previously said and other info. She has other videos about inks linked to in that video too. 

EDIT: Sorry, it was in the following video about whether to buy re-inkers where she said felt but must have meant foam! 

Last edited by bjeans; 09-14-2020 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Lisa and Beth----  Thanks SO much for the info!!!  

Lisa--- Yeah, I love SU! ink colors, but sometimes you find a color that you're crazy about and then it's discontinued (Tempting Turquoise!)===kind of a bummer.  And knowing now that most of the prestige brands' ink formulas are almost identical, I feel a lot better about shopping by color.

Beth--- Thanks for the YouTube link....I just watched it.  Justine is so concise and thorough---so helpful. .  "Full Set Syndrome"....lol...that was ME with SU! when I started stamping.  And while I LOVE "matchy-matchy" (that's what drew me to SU!.), I certainly am able to function without it.  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2020, 11:13 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Yes, she must have meant "felt".  I backed up the video several times to be sure!  I watched the other videos she linked as well.  : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

PizzaParty, I love Tempting Turquoise.  It is the same color as Gina K Turquoise Sea.  Lawn Fawn has a color that matches, Mermaid. 
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzaPartyView Post
Yes, she must have meant "felt".  I backed up the video several times to be sure!  I watched the other videos she linked as well.  : )

I was in the wrong video. Where she said felt but probably meant foam was in the video about whether to buy re-inkers or not, sorry! This one:

BTW, once you get your sea legs (ink legs?), some other inks might float your boat too, even in a limited sense. For example Versafine Clair stamps extremely fine and has rich colors. But the magic for me is that long after stamping, it can be heat embossed even though it feels dry. I’ve gone 5-7 minutes many times. Nocturne is a dark black, nice for sentiments. 

And of course there are others, like Distress Oxides, especially for techniques though they actually stamp well too. They’re my desert island inks but I won’t go there. ;)

I also like some of Impression Obsession (IO) inks. The owner wanted to fill in what for her was a gap - and that was light/medium/dark of certain colors. I have some of her neutrals. If I recall, they’re not dye but are on felt. 

Enjoy! Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 09-14-2020 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

I was in the wrong video. Where she said felt but probably meant foam was in the video about whether to buy re-inkers or not, sorry! This one:

BTW, once you get your sea legs (ink legs?), some other inks might float your boat too, even in a limited sense. For example Versafine Clair stamps extremely fine and has rich colors. But the magic for me is that long after stamping, it can be heat embossed even though it feels dry. I’ve gone 5-7 minutes many times. Nocturne is a dark black, nice for sentiments. 

And of course there are others, like Distress Oxides, especially for techniques though they actually stamp well too. They’re my desert island inks but I won’t go there. ;)

I also like some of Impression Obsession (IO) inks. The owner wanted to fill in what for her was a gap - and that was light/medium/dark of certain colors. I have some of her neutrals. If I recall, they’re not dye but are on felt. 

Enjoy! Beth

Beth, thank you SO much!  

I have Versafine, but not Versafine Clair.  
The few Memento inks (got them 50% off years ago at a local stamp store) I have (including Tuxedo Black, which SU! sells) are outstanding. 

I'm going to check out the Versafine Nocturne and the Gina K Amalgam black ink through some YT vids.  

The Oxides seem to be more popular than the regular Distress inks ever were.....I've seen that they blend like a dream.  I have 2 Distress inks that I bought for a class (also years ago!).  

I never considered the idea of ink color families, e.g. Impression Obsession you mentioned.  I already love their vast variety of stamps, it's so weird that I had no idea they had their own ink.   
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 03:29 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

This thread has been very helpful.  I have used SU! inks only for about 20 years but I have a few pads in very specific colors that need to be replaced.  So far, I'm getting two CTMH colors, one of scrapbook.com's own brand and still searching for a replacement for Mango Melody.  I feel like it's 1999, testing the waters of a variety of brand like a new stamper.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2020, 06:31 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Beth, thank you SO much!  

The few Memento inks (got them 50% off years ago at a local stamp store) I have (including Tuxedo Black, which SU! sells) are outstanding. 

I'm going to check out the Versafine Nocturne and the Gina K Amalgam black ink through some YT vids.  

The Oxides seem to be more popular than the regular Distress inks ever were.....I've seen that they blend like a dream.  I have 2 Distress inks that I bought for a class (also years ago!).  

I never considered the idea of ink color families, e.g. Impression Obsession you mentioned.  I already love their vast variety of stamps, it's so weird that I had no idea they had their own ink.   

IO is a nice, family owned business a few hours away in Virginia. I like supporting them. : )

Altenew also has color families. I purchased two sets of their light-to-dark cubes when they first came out and wasn’t entirely thrilled. However, I’m guessing they’ve improved, and have lots of variety. Cubes with re-inkers are kind of neat because you can get more colors at a less expensive price point. 

I like Gina K’s cubes, and amalgam ink too, since it can be used with water and alcohol markers - and that individual cubes can be purchased. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Beth, thank you SO much!  

IO is a nice, family owned business a few hours away in Virginia. I like supporting them. : )

Altenew also has color families. I purchased two sets of their light-to-dark cubes when they first came out and wasn’t entirely thrilled. However, I’m guessing they’ve improved, and have lots of variety. Cubes with re-inkers are kind of neat because you can get more colors at a less expensive price point. 

I like Gina K’s cubes, and amalgam ink too, since it can be used with water and alcohol markers - and that individual cubes can be purchased. 

People have different faves - no right or wrong! (Except Oxides are so right.;))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
This thread has been very helpful.  I have used SU! inks only for about 20 years but I have a few pads in very specific colors that need to be replaced.  So far, I'm getting two CTMH colors, one of scrapbook.com's own brand and still searching for a replacement for Mango Melody.  I feel like it's 1999, testing the waters of a variety of brand like a new stamper.
Mary Beth

I am fairly sure that Gina K Designs Sweet Mango is the match for SU Mango Melody.  https://www.ginakdesigns.com/product/gkd-color-companions-ink-pad-sweet-mango-2/?v=7516fd43adaa

I substitute this color for challenges.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.

Reply With Quote Likes