Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for advice on Gemini die cutting machine

I have been considering purchasing a Gemini Jr. They are not cheap, so it's not an easy decision. A bundle with all plates, shims, magnetic plate and some dies is $159.99. Can anyone offer any advice? Do you own one, are you happy with it? I would use it exclusively for die cutting for card making so I just don't need the bigger (more expensive) original one.

I just want to be sure if I get it that it really works well and no one has any issues with it getting stuck, etc. One feature I really like is you push the button once, you don't have to hold it down like some of the other electronic cutting machines. Any advice welcome! Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 06:07 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I have the bigger Gemini, and I love it. You don't have to push a button for either Gemini machine. You put the "sandwich" into the machine, and the machine grabs it and pulls it through. The button is for reversing the feed. It's very important to rotate your plates with the Gemini, because they will warp if you don't. All of my intricate dies cut the first time through. A bit of advice. Try leaving out the metal shim. You usually don't need it, and the added thickness and pressure sometimes warp the paper. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I purchased a Gemini Jr couple months ago and love it!! I too do not need the metal shim and my intricate dies cut first time through. No more lugging my Big Shot and cranking. Will not let a sandwich go through that is to thick. Also has a reverse feature. Best investment I've made. Just be sure to rotate your cutting plats. Would also go to you tube and watch all the videos. They were very helpful to me when trying to decide if I wanted to purchase one. It has lived up to all the advertising/hype.

Last edited by crazysuziestamper; 04-18-2018 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Gemini Junior and also love it. I do use the metal shim at times - mainly for certain embossing folders but once in a blue moon for a die. Those folders really vary in thickness so a bit of trial and error has been needed (and I mark the folder afterwards), and the manual doesn't address regular embossing folders (an error).

Agree agree agree times 3 with crazysuziestamper about both flipping AND rotating top and bottom plates with every pass through. The videos stressing the importance are for the larger Gemini but the advice is the same.

Aside from embossing folders, the manual's guide for various sandwiches is quite good IMHO. I expect I'll have to tweak things here and there since I don't believe in perfection.

I know someone who thought her Junior didn't cut as well as she hoped but the manufacturer replaced it.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I just got the Gemini Jr. It works nicely. I have not tried a lot of different things yet.
I need to keep my Big Shot for larger and longer dies for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2018, 03:56 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
I just got the Gemini Jr. It works nicely. I have not tried a lot of different things yet.
I need to keep my Big Shot for larger and longer dies for sure.

I watched a video where someone used the Gem Jr. for a long die - just turned it around and moved it forward. I'll try to find it.

By larger dies do you mean thicker - steel rule?

BTW, I have a minor, permanent lower thumb joint injury near my wrist, and some arthritis, and this little machine has changed die cutting to an absolute pleasure. Plus once the machine is turned on, you just "offer" the sandwich to it, don't even press a button.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Thick dies like Big Z and such.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I got my gemini jr about 4 months ago. Well worth the investment. Check out Bee Creative in California - they had a $20 discount on them when I got mine - not sure if they are still offering that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I have had large gemini for couple of years not a problem with the machine but metal plate warps terribly so tend not to use it much...
Reply With Quote Likes