Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Letterpress, anyone?

I have a love-hate relationship with tools. Just wrecked my second Xyron 850 last night 'cuz I didn't thread it properly, and the plastic parts snapped out of place. Bought a Big Shot awhile back that I love to bits. The tool I'm currently drooling over, tho, is the Epic 6 letterpress. Anybody have experience with one? Have read some negative reviews, but figured that some people just don't have the patience to mess with the inking and brayers. Thanks, y'all!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Do you know about these? Use them in your Big Shot.

Letterpress | Sizzix Ink-Its
Old 10-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

The link Vic posted was awesome! I have a few letter press plates from Stampin' Up! and I love it. Two important points in the Sizzix demo to emphasize (1) use pigment (craft) inks and (2) use watercolor paper, not cardstock. You will get great letterpress results with these plates and a Big Shot, without having to buy another machine.
Mary Beth
Old 10-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Ooh, I'd love to try it. I saw the Epic Letterpress system on HSN and I was so close to ordering. I think I'd have to wait a few months though before buying the Epic or Big Shot and compatible letterpress kits because I just bought a Pazzles Inspiration... not sure how cool my husband would be with an extended crafting shopping spree, lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I was just fiddling with my L Letterpress on Tuesday night... haven't gotten it out in a while but it was fun and it worked really well (I use it in my Cuttlebug). I don't even bother with the brayer and ink, I just use ink pads. One thing I'm looking forward to doing is having my own plates custom made, there are a lot of places that will do that for you.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

thaks Vic; I love these also and knew about watercolor paper, but, not the pigment ink, so great to know. I love the raised design look.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Old 10-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I've got the Epic 6/ Letterpress combo and like it, here's my review I wrote about it.
Review: L Letterpress from Lifestyle Crafts Stamping | CraftGossip.com

FYI:If you have a Cuttlebug you can just buy the Letterpress starter kit and use the Bug, it works just as well in mine.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I really love the look of letterpress but I haven't tried it yet in my Wizard. I love to go to the Paper Source and look at all the pretty letterpress cards and gifts they sell!
My A Muse Studio Webstore Senior Associate #1114
My Blog
Old 11-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Default Paid $75 + tax for the Letterpress Combo Kit!

So I noticed that the A.C. Moore Q didn't exclude the Letterpress Combo Kit any longer, so I took my chances and decided on a whim to purchase the one lone box that had been sitting on the shelf for at least the past month.

Though I wasn't sure, I had a feeling that this situation could go either way- they could honor the coupon because the kit WASN'T on sale and WASN'T excluded, or there could be some bogus issue that comes up to prevent the Q from being used.

And the latter occurred. After the coupon was scanned, the discount wasn't taken off the Letterpress Combo Kit.

I must have had the gods of crafting looking out for me tonight, though. After the manager and the cashier called another store and were advised to NOT price adjust it, even though the coupon logically should work automatically since the kit's not on sale and not explicitly excluded, these awesome folks went ahead and price adjusted it for me, and I didn't even have to ask!

I just stood there while they deliberated among themselves, and then thanked them profusely when the manager said to the cashier, "well, it's not excluded, so just price adjust it."

Awesome

Next issue- this was an impulse buy, and while I'm ecstatic that I paid $74.99 for it, I'm not so sure that my hubby will agree, LOL! It's almost like I bought the Epic 6 on sale and got the letterpress stuff free. Lately though, he kinda just sighs in resignation when he comes face to face with yet another toy of mine.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

By the way, I REALLY love the advice from Boxcar Press re: the Letterpress Combo Kit and how to "hack it" to get the most out of it:

L Letterpress Printing Techniques from Boxcar Press at Boxcar Press – Us
Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I am with Vic on this one. Sizzix Ink Its is a cost effective Letterpress option.
I like the appearance of letterpress so I did some research.

Christine at Scrap Time did a demo of the LifeStyle Crafts letter press system. She used the Epic machine, but I watched another video and it will work in a BigShot or CB.

It did a nice job, but the cost of the platform and letterpress ink was cost prohibitive for me. After the initial equipment I would still need to buy the plates.
There are only a limited number of ink colors and they are not widely available. A lot of the ink is wasted rolling it out thinly on the acrylic mat so you can ink the letterpress plate.
The Letterpress ink is oil based and needs special cleaner to clean up everything.

The Sizzix Ink Its or SU letterpress plates use ordinary pigment ink and a Bigshot, Cuttlebug or any die cutting machine.
Much more affordable.
I saw a video where the demonstrator used the Sizzix Ink Its on ordinary CS and the impression and ink coverage was excellent.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #12  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Talking

This thread got me motivated to try the Lifestyle L Letterpress that I've had for more than a year and have never used. So THANK YOU to all of you !

My review:
I think it's terrific and it was wayyy easier to use than I thought it was going to be. The only challenge was cleaning up their oil-based print ink, but I undertand that Goo Gone works great for clean up.

This process uses such a small amount of the ink that a tube will last for a very long time, and the tubes are pretty big. I used watercolor paper. I was making 13 ATCs and this went very quickly and the results are beautiful - I am so impressed (pun intended LOL).

I used my Vagabond which made it even faster. I look forward to using this again very soon. The design of this tool was well-planned and it is easy peasy to line everything up. A BIG thumbs up !
Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I am with Vic on this one. Sizzix Ink Its is a cost effective Letterpress option.
I like the appearance of letterpress so I did some research.

Christine at Scrap Time did a demo of the LifeStyle Crafts letter press system. She used the Epic machine, but I watched another video and it will work in a BigShot or CB.

It did a nice job, but the cost of the platform and letterpress ink was cost prohibitive for me. After the initial equipment I would still need to buy the plates.
There are only a limited number of ink colors and they are not widely available. A lot of the ink is wasted rolling it out thinly on the acrylic mat so you can ink the letterpress plate.
The Letterpress ink is oil based and needs special cleaner to clean up everything.

The Sizzix Ink Its or SU letterpress plates use ordinary pigment ink and a Bigshot, Cuttlebug or any die cutting machine.
Much more affordable.
I saw a video where the demonstrator used the Sizzix Ink Its on ordinary CS and the impression and ink coverage was excellent.
It's super easy to get letterpress with Spellbinders Impressabilities! Use your own inks rather than buy special paints, you aren't limited in colors. They work the CB, BS and Grand Calibur! I prefer pigment inks. Enjoy!