Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISO Recommendations for non-stamper

Hi

I have a stamping project but I haven't stamped in more than 7 years so I'm out of touch with tools and techniques.

I need to apply people's names onto paper pocket folders (they are too wide to run thru my printer, and i don't want to buy a wide-carriage printer for this project).

I considered clear labels, because they'd look yucky.

I considered cuttings slits in the front of the pocket and run the names on paper , cut the paper into strips and slip the strips into the slits - but I don't want to add the thickness.

I considered printing onto transfer paper, but I think that will transfer residue to the paper (where the letters aren't, as well as where the letters are).

So I'm considering stamps - but how do I do this?

Do I draw a faint line on my item, and apply each letter individually, using clear stamps?

Is there an item that will hold the individual stamps onto a level line, apply ink to them en masse, and then stamp?

Or, what are your recommendations?

Thank you so much in advance for your tips

PS - I'm concerned that each individual letter stamp will be very small and hard to work with - I'd love to find something where I can dial up each letter, or something that will make this very easy... ie, the right tool for the job (I have a lot of names to do!)

Last edited by mtpaper; 10-07-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you considered using a label maker? They have improved the old "Dymo" that we used to use. You can get one with interchangeable fonts, and also get colored or black tapes for it. Here is a link:

Amazon.com: Dymo 1741205 Caption Maker, 3 Interchangeable Wheels: Electronics

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the suggestion - I had not thought about a label maker.

I do have an electronic one (I had the dynamo but unfortunately I think I sold it when I moved recently).

The dynamo version will add thickness to the project. The electronic one will look like a sticker.

For this project, I would like something that looks more upscale than a label.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

How crisp do you need it to be to fit the style of your project? If you can stand a low level of grunginess, you might consider the acetate and ink-jet rub on method since that would let you print in sections if necessary and piece together as you go.

All you do is print mirror image onto the shiny side of a transparency sheet with an inkjet printer, leave it alone for 10 minutes or so and then lay it face down onto your project and burnish with something like a popsicle stick. It's a very verstatile transfer method but it won't be as super crisp as printing directly onto paper - I've attached a couple of postcards I did this way so you can see how it works (the fishy one because it was on an acrylic painted surface and the Elvis one just because I fancied doing it that way!).
Attached Thumbnails
ISO Recommendations for non-stamper-windowpostcard.jpg   ISO Recommendations for non-stamper-roundrobinwitchy.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

What color are the folders? Are they a lighter color that printer ink will show on?

I do have a few sets of letter stamps that can be stuck to an acrylic block, and also a few sets of JustRite alphabets that would do what you want, but you are right - the little individual letters are somewhat challenging to work with, especially when I'm assuming that each folder will be stamped with a different name.

The image transfer method that AngelNorth described works really well. Another method I've used that gives a pretty crisp transfer is done with a laser printed copy. You still print in mirror image, then to get the name to transfer, you lay it onto the item you are transferring it to and dab the back with a cotton ball soaked with acetone (or acetone nail polish remover).

The cons of the acetone method are 1) The Fumes!!!! and 2) you'll need to test the colorfastness of the folders - the acetone can fade it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

How about making a list of the names in your word processing software, printing them on colored cardstock and attaching those to the folder. Leave enough room between names so when you attach them to the folder you can cut around the tab part of the file folder , you can even use a punch on the bottom edge for trim. use a tape runner or liquid glue to attach them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

I tried the inkjet onto a transparency - both sides in fact. And the transfer was very pale - I need to experiment with a variety of brands I suppose.

The folders are very light-colored, so that's good.

I'd love crisp, but I can go with a more countrified, less crisp look.

These are not file folders with tabs; these are 3-hole punched pocket folders.
Reply With Quote Likes