Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ink pads with Sarah Kay stamps

I have had a very frustrating time lately with my Sarah Kay clear stamps. I like to use pencils and OMS and stamp onto a smooth cardstock. I generally use Memories or Versafine ink (have to heat seat this one) and with ordinary rubber stamps it works fine. But, when I stamp my gorgeous Sarah Kays, even with heat setting and leaving for a week - when I come to colour the ink bleeds just with the pencil going over it, and with the OMS it's ruined!

I was wondering if it was due to the stamps being clear or the smooth cardstock I'm using - Creative Smooth is my favourite here in the UK, but I've also tried others and it's the same story.

So is it the clear stamp material/cardstock/ink combination, and if so which is the guilty party and what can I do to give me a clear image I can colour with pencils and OMS?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I use Brilliance Graphite with all my clear stamps. It is a pigment ink, so you will need to heat set with it. I always use OMS with it.

BTW, I had a hard time getting a good impression with my Sarah Kay stamps. Have you had the same problem?

Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlozbView Post
BTW, I had a hard time getting a good impression with my Sarah Kay stamps. Have you had the same problem?
Have you used a stamping mat or some type of cushion underneath when you stamp your image? I use the with absolutely every stamp, clear or rubber. It gives you the best impression
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie in cornwallView Post
I have had a very frustrating time lately with my Sarah Kay clear stamps. I like to use pencils and OMS and stamp onto a smooth cardstock. I generally use Memories or Versafine ink (have to heat seat this one) and with ordinary rubber stamps it works fine. But, when I stamp my gorgeous Sarah Kays, even with heat setting and leaving for a week - when I come to colour the ink bleeds just with the pencil going over it, and with the OMS it's ruined!

I was wondering if it was due to the stamps being clear or the smooth cardstock I'm using - Creative Smooth is my favourite here in the UK, but I've also tried others and it's the same story.

So is it the clear stamp material/cardstock/ink combination, and if so which is the guilty party and what can I do to give me a clear image I can colour with pencils and OMS?
Logically, I can't see how the stamp can be the culprit. If the ink is bleeding, it must be the ink. Why the ink would bleed with one stamp and not another is a mystery...perhaps we need to involve a "Stamping Crime Scene Investigator" to solve this "crime." Who would you like to play you in the episode? :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Hi Brandi, I've no problem getting a good image since I started using a Rock-a-Block and doing the rolling motion, plus don't press too hard and I have an old mouse mat under a couple of sheets of paper underneath. Maybe that is part of the problem - the ink is just sitting on the surface of the smooth cardstock. I know when we have damp days here in Cornwall, which is quite often, colouring is more difficult as the cardstock seems to absorb moisture from the atmosphere. I have the new Christmas Sarah Kay stamps arriving any day so I want to figure this out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7kidscollegefundView Post
Have you used a stamping mat or some type of cushion underneath when you stamp your image? I use the with absolutely every stamp, clear or rubber. It gives you the best impression
Thanks! Yes I finally put a magazine under the paper and was able to get good impressions. But before I did that, I sure wasted some paper! I have only used MFT's clear stamps in the past and haven't ever needed anything under the paper but I think that may have to do with how detailed the Sarah Kay stamps are.

Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I have had a couple of stamping friends here in the UK invetigating and trying out combinations!

Result #1 - Momento ink with Sarah Kay clear stamp onto Smooth cardstock doesn't bleed with OMS - yippee! but I don't have any :(

Result #2 - why I never tried using VersaMagic chalk ink I do not know - I have a drawer full, but no black. So I stamped a detailed Sarah Kay stamp with Jumbo Java onto Creative Smooth cardstock, gave it a quick blast with the heat gun and then straight too with skin tones of wax pencils. Then dipped my paper stump into the OMS and straight to blending, making sure I went over the lines, AND NOT A BLEED! Woopie! Now why on earth didn't I try this ink months ago! I must admit, it was reading somewhere in a thread here that chalk inks were the best for the cheap clear stamps, and I've been using them for the little Studio G ones for ages - but just never made the leap to full size images!
Reply With Quote Likes