Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if you store your embossing powders in a plastic container...

I want to store my embossing powders and glitters in a different container than the one they came in. I am trying out a gladware container that is sandwich sized. I'm not sure I'm loving it.

what do you use? do they stack? are they convienient for use of the powders and glitters?

thanks

Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

i still have mine in the containers that they come in. i have all those jars, stamping buddy, and tray in one of the punch boxes that SU! offered some time ago. i bought 6 of them for storage. i love it so far.

i have been toying with the idea of putting my clear in a glad container, but was afraid i wouldn't like it. plus it wouldn't fit in the punch box.

now that you have said you aren't sure you are loving it... i may just leave well enough alone.

i think it comes down to how much you use it. if you use it a lot, it might be more convenient to have it in the glad container.

i have prolly been NO HELP at all. just sharing my opinion and experiences...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

yes, I've been thinking about using plastic containers for the glitters that I reach for most often.....but I'm on the fence.

do others like using the bigger containers???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have my Clear EP and my Iridescent Ice EP in glad sandwich containers and the other ep's still in their original containers. I love it! I have a plastic spoon permanently in the container. It's so fast and easy to emboss this way. They stack on top of each other, even though I only have the two in boxes. It certainly makes me quicker to use them on a card or page instead of being lazy - ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I put my EP and glitter in plastic containers. They're easier to use but they take up soooo much room. So if storage is a problem, I would keep them in their original containers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have done this with a couple of ep's that I use frequently, like clear and gold. There are times, especially if I'm working on a large swap doing LOTS of embossing, when being able to just dip into the stuff (rather than pouring it on then putting it back in the jar each time) and heat is so quick and convenient.

Bear in mind, though, that plastic causes static, and static excites your embossing powder, which in turn adds to how much "sticks" to your paper in unwanted areas. (Geez that's a long sentence, lol!) Glass won't promote static. Not sure it's worth the extra hassle of using glass, but just wanted to pass on the thought, lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I'm on the fence too, but my reason is storage. If I put every embossing powder and glitter that I have in a glad type storage container it would be a large stack or 2, where as the tiny little containers don't take up much space. I do think not only would they be easier to use stored that way, but I probably would use them more too. So as you can see, I'm torn. Tell me what are the pros and cons.

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I purchased a package of sandwich (or a little bigger) clear plastic containers with blue lids from Walmart. I the package was $3.99 for 12. I put all the cosmo fine glitter, dazzling diamonds, heat and stick, and my clear-black-white-gold embossing powders in containers. I use to hardly ever use any of them. I am so cramped for space that it was too much trouble to dig it out. I made room for the containers on a shelf in a closet and now use them all the time. These containers have a little lip on the inside of the container. I took plastic spoons and broke the handle off of a second spoon to glue on the first as and extention to fit the top lip. I have a spoon that is not all covered in glitter inside each container. This way all I do is get out the container, sprinkle some on my project, shake off the excess, and put the lid back on. I always hated the mess I made trying to get it back in the jar and cleaning it out from the tray. No clean up. In the 3 months that I have used this system I have had to order 4 more jars of embossing powders. I am about to have to order new cosmo too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I transferred all of my powders to tray containers but they took up so much space that I tipped them all back into the original containers. I have them all in a small draw which I can pull out and put on my desk. I keep a spoon and anti static pillow in the draw as well. My friend also put all of hers back. If you only had clear, and a couple others eg. gold, silver black I would use the trays but I have a lot of colours collected over the years and use them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper KissyView Post
I want to store my embossing powders and glitters in a different container than the one they came in. I am trying out a gladware container that is sandwich sized. I'm not sure I'm loving it.

what do you use? do they stack? are they convienient for use of the powders and glitters?

thanks

Erin
I store my Dazzling Dimonds glitter and my gold embossing powders (both are items I use very regularly) in the Gladware sandwich containers. Have used these for the past several years. I find it cheap and easy to use. I also keep a small plasic spoon nearby to sue with them. For smaller projects this eliminates the need for me to pull out my Powder Pals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I also have transferred mine to the sandwich size plastic containers and love how much easier they are to use now.

It's official...I'm a stamping addict (second only to my "being a grandma" addiction)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I transferred all of my EP to 5x7 plastic containers a couple of years ago. Worked fine, but I never used them because they took up so much room. I had ten or more stacks of 4 or 5 to a stack (yes, I have way to much EP) & pulling them down from the shelf was a pain. So about a month ago I put them all back in small containers from Dick Blick. Now I just have 3 baskets full. Not as easy to use, but takes up less room. If I didn't have so many, I would definitely have left them in the boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't use ep much. Mostly when I'm doing holiday cards. In that case, I do keep whatever ep color I'm using in a Glad sandwich container so I can dip my cardstock in it instead of pouring over top and then funneling it all back in to the little jar. But once I'm done making all the cards with that ep, I put it back in the jar because it takes up much less space. But if you have a color you use a lot, the sandwich container would be your best option. Much less messy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I keep my embossing powders in sandwich containers because I use them alot....but found a really good time on here somewhere but cannot remember who to give the credit too.....take the silicone little bags when you buy purses or shoes and put 2 or 3 in you embossing containers to store them. It keeps the embossing powders from getting all sticky and icky. I put small ones in my heat and stick powder and glitters too. That and my glitters are still in their original containers.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I dump mine in the SU! clam shell boxws that are just about card size. Then when I need it I just put the card in and shake a bit. pick up the card and tap. Close the box and you are all done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I transferred the major ep (black, white, clear, copper, gold, and silver) to semi-disposable plastic containers from Walmart. They stack on a shelf, and each is roughly the size of a book (don't know if they still sell that size). The size is handy for dipping the paper or entire card into, and a plastic spoon is in each to spread the ep, if needed. The spoon is also handy for tapping off the excess. The rest of the ep doesn't get used as much and is kept in its original container.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmaxView Post
I'm on the fence too, but my reason is storage. If I put every embossing powder and glitter that I have in a glad type storage container it would be a large stack or 2, where as the tiny little containers don't take up much space. I do think not only would they be easier to use stored that way, but I probably would use them more too. So as you can see, I'm torn. Tell me what are the pros and cons.

Dina
Dina, maybe just try one powder in a storage container, like your clear. Try using it for awhile before making the decision about the rest of them. I will say that I only use the containers for the ones I have in bulk...it's not worth it for the ones where I only have a little container.
Reply With Quote Likes