Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default If you own an Electronic Cutter... please read!

Ladies I am looking into making a PRO/CON sheet for the available electronic cutters that are out now. If you own a cutter, can you please post all the info on it you can think of? LOL Ok, well I am looking for cutting sizes, if it hooks up to computer or uses cartridges, price, ease of use, any pros you like about it (uses blades from other machines, is quiet, etc.), and any cons you don't like about it. If there is more than one version of the machine (ex. Cricut, Klic-N-Kut) please list which one you have. PLEASE POST THE NAME OF THE MACHINE AS YOUR POST TITLE! Multiple posts for a machine is fine, as you may have a different opinion on the machine.

No promises on how fast I will get a document done... it all depends on how fast I get the info and how much time my twosome gives me to work. LOL

MODS I am completely sorry if there is already a thread on this. I didn't search for one. Please delete or combine if there is a previous thread.

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

Default SLICE

So I own a Slice. I love it, but don't get a lot of time to play with it. If you own one, please post your own review!

It can cut 1 inch to 4 inches, in 1/2 inch increments.

Cuts cardstock, vellum, vinyl acetate, fabric (?), photos up to 0.5mm thick

Uses making memories SD cards to cut out shapes/fonts

Will emboss with embossing tips and mat

Does cut shadow images with MS cards

PRO: small, so it is very portable. Not too loud. Relatively affordable ($120-$150 for machine, cards can range from $15-$50). Great customer service (although I haven't had to use it yet)

CONS: I had some issues with setting the cutting depth, but I think I fixed that myself. I thought it would have the capability of downloading your own fonts/images... but have yet to see that.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Glitter Guru

This will help with the tech specs:

http://www.paperthreads.com/bonus/pa...re_112008.html
Old 04-07-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Oh thank you!!!! I thought there had to be something out there, but since my time is limited, I didn't get a chance to do a complete search. Now I have to narrow my choice based on specs and then hopefully get some personal opinions on my top machines.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Kookie Creator

Default Silhouette - the original one

Pros:
- You can use graphics you may already have on your machine and download lots of free ones because it connects to your computer via USB cable The Silhouette store also has lots and lots of images to download for 99 cents each, which is a great price.

Cons:
- Uses a cutting mat which needs to be replaced every so often.
- VERY noisy.
- Cutting through most cardstock, and especially Bazzill, requires 2 passes on anything more intricate than basic shapes.
- Blades need replacing more often if you are cutting heavier weight papers like Bazzill.
- Requires a lot more planning as far as colors as opposed to using dies or punches, at least for me. This would be true with any machine such as this, though. It's easy to grab a piece of paper and a die, run it through the Big Shot and see if it's what I need, but cutting with this machine requires more time and effort. If you were cutting a lot of the same thing it would definitely be a time saver, but not so much for onesies and twosies.

I hope this helps a little. I like the machine alright, but am wondering why I thought I'd use it more than I do. Maybe I will one day.

I'd love to see the new eCraftwell in person and watch it cut. It's more expensive, though.

Just Stamp It!Addicted to Pens and Paper
Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Insane Embellisher

Default Pazzles Inspiration

I have a Pazzles Inspiration and use it just about every day. It hooks up to my computer and I can cut any true type font and anything I can create with graphics software either the one that comes with the machine or those like Adobe Illustrator. I can cut from a fraction of an inch and up to 12X24". The machine can emboss, engrave and draw with optional tools. I can cut chipboard, fabric, paper, vinyl, shrink plastic, acrylic, - really just about anything. The only feature I wish I had was an optical eye for doing print & cuts - there is a work around so I can do them, just have to add in a step. The machine is about 9" by 20" and is not loud when in operation.

Here is an existing comparison chart: http://www.paperthreads.com/bonus/pa...re_112008.html

Teri
Old 04-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

I own a Bosskut Gazelle with Funtime 2010 with Rhinestone software. I purchased mine during a special at Scrap-Mart for $317 but now I can't find that price anywhere.

Pros:

No cartridges to purchase or software to buy.

Software is easy to learn, but advanced enough to do really cool things.

Has a laser guided print-and-cut feature

It comes with 700 shapes preloaded including quite a few boxes

The customer service is amazing

There are extensive tutorials made available to Gazelle owners, along with a technical support forum

There are free files everywhere that will work with the Gazelle

It does 12x12 paper or 12x24 with mats, or longer if you are using adhesive backed vinyl off a roll. It will cut a TRUE 12x12 paper.

You can cut a variety of materials with the Gazelle easily, everything from vinyl, to vellum, to cardstock, chipboard, thin papers, foam, stiffened fabric, magnet sheets, even basal wood, polymer clay, you name it.

There are different blades, including a vinyl blade, standard-to-heavy blade, deep cut blade

There is an embossing tool and embossing mat, it works great, especially for scoring.

There is an engraving tool

The blade carriage is universal, so you can use a very wide variety of writing utensils in the blade holder, and write/draw with them. I've used everything from very skinny pencils up to the big fat Crayola markers and it works wonderfully.

You can cut directly from Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw

Looks great sitting on my desk It's not too wide but it's wide enough, the buttons are easy to access, and the lid closes up so it is out of the way. There are two drawers built in for extra blades/blade holders.

The mats seem to last quite some time, as well as the blades.

If you recondition your mat by spraying it with repositionable adhesive, you DO NOT void your warranty like you would with a Cricut. In fact, it's recommended that you do spray the mats.

Cons
Honestly, I love it so much it's hard to find a con. I guess the biggest con is there is a definite learning curve. You have to sit down and study it and learn it. It is not plug and play like a Cricut would be. It takes time to go through the tutorials and learn all the software/machine can do, try different techniques. This might be intimidating for some people. I personally enjoy learning new software immensely, so for me that was actually a pro.

I can't get the right drawer on my Gazzy to open no matter how hard I pull. LOL!

For some people, the fact that it is software based and not cartridge based might be an issue. It depends on how comfortable you are with software, learning new programs, and things like that.

The price. It's going to cost you right now about $430 shipped. But, you aren't buying cartridges or software.

There aren't many brick-and-mortar stores that sell it. You really have to either find a LSS that will order it for you, or buy online. It's not like the Cricut where you can go down to Joann or Mike's and pick one up.

It's kind of noisy when cutting, so you can't cut while someone in the same room or the room next to you is sleeping.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
Gallery Gazer

Default Silhouette SD

This is the newer model.

PROS:

* Cuts any ttf that you have on your computer or that you can find for free online.
* Images are only 99 cents; I can pick and choose what I like, don't get images I know I'll never use.
* No cartridges to store
* Some really great companies are now designing their images like: House of 3 (Heidi Swapp), SEI, Cosmo Cricket, Hero Arts, Donna Downey
* It has an SD card that enables you to disconnect from your PC and take it to crops or a different room
* It's relatively small
* It CAN cut through thick cardstock in one try. I use PTI all the time and it cuts great!

CONS:

* It is noisy, (but imo not too bad)
* Doesn't cut through chipboard

I absolutely love mine! I did a lot of research before finally deciding on this as my electronic cutter. And I'm really happy!

Your twins are adorable by the way!!