Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Question I think I broke my SideKick (BigShot)!

A couple of weeks ago, I was fooling around with trying to get the right sandwich to run a bigz die through it to cut a stencil out of plastic... it was a struggle but it went through and made a loud thud. 
Since then it does not have enough pressure to cut or emboss on the right side of the plate! 
I'm making it work by adding a thick cardboard shim, but it's not the same...
Do you have any recommendations on how to adjust the tension?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When that happened to mine I had a crushed roller bearing. I looked on YouTube and found a video to take the Big Shot apart and found replacement bearing on EBay. The job itself was not to bad and I was able to get a couple more years out of my machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks I'll check out the videos. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2020, 07:00 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Shot Plus & Big Shot

I started with a Big Shot Plus several years ago when the Plus came out and I love it. Last year I bought a $49 Big Shot from Tuesday Morning. Love it, too. I use both machines. I like the larger plates on thePlus, but don’t like using it for smaller dies. I also purchased the original short platform for the Plus after I got tired of cranking the long platform. I like both sizes, there is a difference in the rollers and different dies. Some cut better on the Plus and some on the Big Shot.
Enjoy your retirement. This is my first post, I lurk. I started stamping years ago when my daughter was in elementary school. She is now in her early 30s. We have our original card sample book of cards we made back in the day. It sure has changed. It’s fun to be back in this hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Yay on tour first post! � I lurked for years, too before I ever posted. Actually, I don’t know if it would be considered lurking, I only looked at the Gallery. IS that “lurking”? Lol. Anyway, happy to see you posting!

Regarding the tension - I’m so afraid to mess with taking apart stuff on my Big Shot. I just know I’d get it taken apart and end up with it permanently in pieces because I couldn’t get it back together again. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2020, 02:25 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
Regarding the tension - I’m so afraid to mess with taking apart stuff on my Big Shot. I just know I’d get it taken apart and end up with it permanently in pieces because I couldn’t get it back together again.

That was my thought as well. It was time to upgrade anyhow. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Love my Big Shot Plus. The plates are a bit more expensive, so I purchase mine from Amazon. I use smaller plates with my Plus machine all of the time. I have tried teaching myself to cut with the blade up, into the smaller plate as it is cheaper, however, large dies need the larger plate. Have fun with your Plus machine.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2020, 03:52 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Congratulations on your retirement and yay on the new machine! It is confusing as heck trying to pick one these days to me. Let us know what you think about it down the road.

And welcome dollsndogs! Hope to see you more often! 30 years is a lot of experience to share with us! (please)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took a break

I took a break from stamping for many years. I bought new supplies for die cutting and threw out a bunch of ink pads. I still use some ink pads from the beginning and most of my supplies are still good. I haven’t made a dent in the Stampendous embossing powder. Still use my Marvy heat gun. Some things don’t break. I have drawers of red rubber that are in great shape. I was into cleaning everything back then. I’m learning a lot from SCS and I look at YouTube when I can’t figure out something.
I no longer make Christmas cards, I buy the ones on sale after Christmas to mail. That way I don’t feel bad when it’s thrown away. I make cards for friends and doll club members for birthdays, keeping in touch with home bound members, special occasions and gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Default I'm a happy crafter...

I received my Big Shot Pro today and I'm very pleased! It's much larger the BS. It cuts like a hot knife through butter on one pass. Believe me it will get a good work out in the coming days as I produce thank you cards.
I consider it money well spent and I will be very mindful of how and what I run through it.
Reply With Quote Likes