Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am so bummed

I dropped my digital camera in a puddle :(

It's ruined....I've had it less than a year. :mad:

So, I'm in the market for a new point and shoot....any recommendations?
TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

sorry to hear about your camera. :( On the bright side, it means you get to go shopping for a new one now!

I have the Canon PowerShot 750IS which is a couple of years old now but the new generation PowerShots are really good too. Here's a link to the newer version of my camera.

Have fun shopping!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

From someone who has had everything from Kodak to Canon and everything in between my all time favorite/favorites is/are the Canon SD1000 and the Kodak P712. I just got a DSLR for Christmas but think I may have made a mistake because to get it to do what some of my P&S do I will have to buy very expensive lenses. I have actually bought 3 of my children the Canon SD1000 and at Christmas went to buy my youngest one and the new model is Canon SD1100 Elph Power Shot. It takes the most awesome pictures!!!! It is so small I keep it in my purse or pocket at ALL times. What I like about the Kodak is that it has 12X optical zoom which gives incredible telescopic pictures plus I got the one with the hot shoe for the external flash if I want to use it. Most P&S have 3 or 4X optical with another 3-4 digital zoom. And IMO digital zoom is a waste. The pictures are usually poor quality. The optical zoom is what you should be looking at. All that said, if you are wanting one to keep in your purse or pocket the Canon would be my choice. The Kodak is bulkier. Where are you in TN? I am in Knoxville. I may be able to answer some questions if you are looking at something in particular since cameras are one of my downfalls. A bit like this stamping site-I'm addicted to both! Jill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Actually the one that qoedvc just posted is one that I also have. See-they are great cameras! I don't know anyone who has one of these babies and doesn't love it! She just posted before I did! :-) It's basically the same camera just a bit older but very very good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Yes the one I dropped in the puddle is a canon SD890 with 5x optical zoom. I'm actually considering just getting another one exactly the same. The price has gone down $100 since I bought mine. I REALLY like canon P&S, but I also had a Kodak forever that I loved too. I've got a nikon D60, but I want one I can stick in my pocket and take to the playground too.

I'm also considering a canon A1000. The main diff between this one and my old one it that the A1000 has AA batteries and my old one had a rechargeable NiMh one that I had to plug into the wall, but the charge lasted like forever. What's everyone's take on batteries????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Oh I so agree with the rechargeable batteries. I always buy a spare and keep it in my little tiny camera bag. I have been out with my kids when they find their battery has gone dead and I ask where their extra is? It's always at home! Doesn't do much good, so I lend them mine. I hate having to buy new batteries all the time. Let me know what you decide because sometimes I have batteries from cameras that have gone the way yours did but I keep the accessories just in case. If it was the right size I wouldn't mind passing it on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I think I am just going to purchase the exact same camera as the one I dropped. I know I'll like it. Plus I think my battery will still work so I can have a spare. Thanks for all the advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNstampgirlView Post
Yes the one I dropped in the puddle is a canon SD890 with 5x optical zoom. I'm actually considering just getting another one exactly the same. The price has gone down $100 since I bought mine. I REALLY like canon P&S, but I also had a Kodak forever that I loved too. I've got a nikon D60, but I want one I can stick in my pocket and take to the playground too.

I'm also considering a canon A1000. The main diff between this one and my old one it that the A1000 has AA batteries and my old one had a rechargeable NiMh one that I had to plug into the wall, but the charge lasted like forever. What's everyone's take on batteries????
Look for one that you can plug in when not in use and charge. Not the triple or double A type that can be recharged. I have a Kodak 12x P&S that I keep on the base all the time. The batteries are always charged and when you take it for a weekend - it lasts a long time. I also have a Canon Rebel XSI - the battery in there lasts a long time on a charge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Did you pay for your camera by credit card? If you did, you might be able to get your $$ back! We bought a PDA and a month later dropped it and broke the screen; after filing a claim we were refunded by Visa. An ordinary, no-fee Visa. Look into it if you charged it!
nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

You guys are making me jealous living in Tennessee....I want to move there but have to wait on a transfer for my DH and that may never come with this economy. He put in for a promotion and a transfer and then they never filled the job....so here we sit waiting. I want to look for a job there now and I can't until he gets his transfer (if he gets it).
I want to move to Knoxville, that is where my daughter moved to and now she has 2 babies....little girls 18 months and a new baby born in January.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you purchased you camera within the last year on a Visa credit card, you may not have to pay for a replacement. Visa will replace it if its damaged, even if its your fault - at least my Visa works this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh I have a funny camera dunking story...

We were on vacation the summer of 2006 taking a back woods hike along a river on the north shore of Lake Superior. Stopped to take some pics, and DD (6 at the time) used DH's camera to take a picture of us. And then dropped the whole camera in the river. The batteries fell out and all...well DH dried it off, layed it in the sun for a day, and it worked fine. (Nikon...hard to kill!)

Well last summer, we were back up there...SAME HIKE...SAME SPOT...and DH and I were mentioning the camera incident that happened RIGHT THERE, so we turn around and both daughters are bent over picking up rocks in the river with their cameras HANGING IN THE WATER from the straps around their necks!!

What are the odds of that??????

So again...took them back to the camper, opened them up, hung them out to dry...LOL...and they both work! One was the old Nikon from 2 years before....DH calls it the Rambo camera....the other was a newer cheap Nikon.

So...we bought our son a Nikon. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I love my Nikon Coolpix! I bought mine at Costco the Christmas before last. I love it because

it's Nikon
it has a video feature
it's compact
and it has a lot of cool features

Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueenView Post
I love my Nikon Coolpix! I bought mine at Costco the Christmas before last. I love it because

it's Nikon
it has a video feature
it's compact
and it has a lot of cool features

Roberta
And most likely waterproof as I have found. LOL Though don't test it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I'm not all that knowledgeable... or rather, my knowledge is a bit outdated by now, but I will advise you not to buy anything that doesn't have "image stabilization". I have a Canon Powershot 610 (?) that's a couple years old, which I love for almost all situations. BUT it doesn't have this feature, which means it sucks for taking photos in lower light situations and forever has the camera shake warning light on... Even on a tripod! lol.

Angela a.k.a. PuppyDogGrins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

An Olympus girl all the way here. I have a small mju820 (I think) that I asked DH to give me for Christmas a couple of years back so that I could always have it in my handbag. Not sure that it would stand being dropped in a puddle, but it's advertised as rain resistant (good in our climate).
Has a 5x optical zoom, and now you can get point-and-shoots with more. I agree with the poster who said just look at optical zoom not digital. Quality degrades noticeably with digital.
Also agree with spare rechargeable batteries. I have them for both my DSLR and small camera, so I've never been stuck.
On holidays last year in Greece I only brought the little pocket Olympus, and although at times in the strong light I missed the viewfinder, we were more than happy with the quality of pictures, and it was much easier to carry round on a motorbike than a big SLR, as it just fit in my shorts pocket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I have a Panasonic Lumix, 6 mega pixels, 6X optical zoom. Fabulous camera. Takes great video with sound, as well as great photos. It has all kinds of settings and does more than I know how to do with it, and it's nice and small. I love the thing to death! It was the only camera we took on a 3 week trip to the UK, and we got wonderful pictures AND video, from this one little camera. It was the BEST present DH ever bought me!!! (it's LZ5SE)
Reply With Quote Likes