Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Compulsive Stamper

Smile Be honest......cricut expression?

I am one of the few scrapbookers in the world that do not own a cricut. I do have a Big Shot. I am seriously considering the Cricut expression. Be honest......do you use it enough to justify the cost of it, the mats, the blades, the cartridges, etc.

Trust me....I don't mind spending money on my hobby. It is just that I know this is a big $$ investment, and am not sure if I should put my money elsewhere.

Thanks for your input!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

yes yes yes yes - i don't know how it compares to other electronic cutters but i say yes SOME electronic cutter is way worth the money and i love my cricut ALOT!!! if you break the cost down per image AND be sure to never pay full price for a cartridge it turns out to be insanely cheaper than manual die cutters. i always get my carts from terri - http://stampsalive.blogspot.com/ because she has such good prices or watch for sales at Michaels.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Inking Addict

I have a big shot. I had a small cricut and I am going to get the expression. I am a card maker and scrapbooker and I live out of town so gas to LSS etc makes it inconvenient for me to go use the stores. Although with a store membership you can do that. I sold my little one and plan to get a big one later in the year. I think that once you have had one you will wonder how you ever did without. The only thing I used the big shot for now is nesties.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Matboard Maniac

i use my cricut all the time best investment i ever made and did i also say it a lot of fun plenty of helpful videos out there
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

I never wanted a Cricut because I am basically a cardmaker. Bought a Create and now am in the market for an Expression. I don't think I will buy many carts because I can share with friends. I also can go to my LSS and use hers if I bring my machine. Also, I try to research the carts that interest me to see exactly what images they contain. You would be surprised how the different function button on the Cricut change the image a button can cut. i.e. on the Plantin cart one button can make a city skyline or use this button with the shift key and it will cut grass. Depending on the size you cut, the images can be a scrapbook 12x12 border or border for a card. Used the 2 3/4 size for the scrapbook and the 1 1/2 for hair(grass upside down) for my Frankenstein Halloween treat holders.

Yes, I am sold on the Cricut for me. Ask your crafter friends and go somewhere to see a demo before you decide if you would use it. I like to make envie/boxes etc. so decided i should have bought the Expression but didn't think about that when I bought the Create because I got a good deal. The Create as a lot of the functions of the Expression but is more limited in the size of images it can cut. (6 x 12 mat size) Also, check out the size of the Expression because this could be a deciding factor also.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Glitter Queen

I can't imagine you would ever regret getting one!! I have the baby bug (got a great deal) and I CANNOT wait until next year (I'm saving up) to be able to get the expression.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

I have a Big Kick, which I love, and I've upgraded from a small Cricut to an E. I haven't regretted getting any of these machines for a second. I don't think you will regret getting a Cricut either - especially the E.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to qualify what I meant about the Expression's size. The Create is about 15" wide but you have to remember that the mat comes out of the back while it cuts so you have to allow about 12" of clearance. The Expression is wider and can cut up to a 12 x 24 inch mat so clearance also must be allowed for the extra width and back mat clearance. Don't know how big you craft area is so just wanted to let you know the space required.

Dumb me, I didn't even think where the mat went as it disappeared from the front as it was progressing toward the bottom!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

I had the Cricut and 36 cartridges...I used it twice in 1.5 years so I sold the whole lot. I have not missed it a minute and love the space I regained. I do have a Cuttlebug and a BS which I use all the time because they are out. I guess the Cricut was a huge waste of money for me. I am mainly a card maker too.
blessings.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Stampin' Fool

I sold my cricut and bought a slice and I am so much happier. It doesn't take up my entire desk and I love the fonts with the slice way more than the fonts with the cricut. I never used my cricut and I use my slice every time I go in my room to make cards.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
Matboard Maniac

I have both the Cricut and the Big Shot. I use the Big Shot more. I love them both but I find the cricut mats don't last that long and you have to keep buying them. I've bought all of my cartridges on Ebay at low prices. The most I've ever paid for one is around $30.00. I will not get rid of it now that I have it but I use the Big Shot more often due to my card making.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Forum Fanatic

I got my Expression for Christmas as was thinking maybe I made a mistake. I have 13 cartridges, all were bought on sale. I don't use it a lot but when I do it really saves me time. I just got the design studio and I should have gotten it a lot sooner but I got a deal where I bought a cartridge and got the design studion for for free.

With the DS I'll use it more. Where I see me using the Expression more is for cutting boxes, repetitive cuts for class projects, and the ablility to weld letters to make words. I recently got the deep cut blade as I like to cut acrylic sheets.

Honestly, I can't say it's something you have to have. It's a pure luxury and if you have other needs then I wouldn't do it. I'm at the point where my stamp room is redone and I have way to many stamps, and so this is just pure want versus need. Whereas I NEED my stamps... snort!

BTW, I still have my BS and love it and will not give it up. Nope, never. It's just too easy even with its limitations on just one size.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Mad Swapper

I have a CB, soon will have a Big Shot. I have a Klik-N-Kut and I am ready to get the Silhouette just for the print and cut feature... and also smaller than the KnK. I love the KnK cause it can cut thick stuff but mine's the older model and it's a pain to print and then cut where the Silhouette seems slicker. Plus, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the KnK.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Old 10-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
Crimping Master

I have a Big Shot as well, but I am thinking about getting the Cricut Expression and have been for awhile. What tipped me over the edge was going to a weekend long scrapping retreat and using a friend's all weekend! Right now I am saving up the $300 to buy one.....mainly to use for scrapbooking. I do make a lot of cards, but mostly are using Nestabilities for those.

I would be excited to get the Cricut for all the character cartridges, now with me having a daughter I'm sure those will be helpful for her scrapbooks. Also I have heard that it's good for your children's projects at school. Just my 2 cents!
My Etsy Shop!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
Glitter Guru

If you're planning to buy a Cricut Expression, wait till Black Friday (after Thanksgiving Sale). I got mine last year for only $199 with 2 cartridges from Michael's, which they price matched from Walmart
Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
Inking Addict

I've been saving for one since the Expression came out! I finally found a deal I couldn't pass up (and saved enough). I have had it since Sept and used it a bunch of times! I am supposed to be a scrapper, but really haven't done an album. I used it to make my Halloween decorations for my house, cut out pumpkins and spiders and they are hanging from my chandelier also a banner that says "Happy Halloween". I made a name frame gift. Using it now for some of my holiday cards and treats! Love it and can't wait to use it more! I personally am glad I have mine! I found a way to save $ and not buy millions of mats (per suggestions on SCS). My bundle came with 4 carts, the jukebox, and the computer program, plus more. I can't afford any carts now, but plan on buying on sale, borrowing, and using gift cards instead of investing a fortune. Hope this helps. Mainly if you get one...you have to make the effort to use it..then you will be hooked!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #17
Matboard Maniac

I don't use diecuts other than the odd nestie and when I told my best crafting buddy I was buying an expressions she tried to talk me out of it. Her main argument being that in over a year, possibly 2 I'd been to her house crafting dozens of times and had only ever cut 2 things on her baby cricut.

She was soooo wrong, I use mine daily. Not for cutting dies in the main though. I use scal not carts and make shaped card blanks, paper piecing, boxes, origamic architechture and perfect mats & layers. I have drawn my own versions of nesties which now fit everything, rather than just the odd one or 2 real ones being large enough to fit a tilda stamp.

As for consumables, blades last months if you give them the odd wipe over with a lint free cloth. Mats can be restickied over and over and over again with repo glue, (tombow, 3m spray etc)

The machines are far more expensive in the uk, I paid then the equivilant of $750 but adding up the cost of all the nesties was more than that.. and bar cutting a 1/4" letter I've not found anything I can't cut with it.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #18
Die Cut Diva

I have the Cricut Expressions, BossKut Gazelle, Xyron Personal Cutting System, Making Memories Slice and a Cuttlebug.

I love all my machines and die cutting is my fascination hobby, lol.

We made a craft room recently. DH and I are big crafter's. I do a lot of art journaling. I kept an art journaling box in my living room. I have my Gazelle in the living room too since it needs my computer. I put my Slice in my journaling box.

I miss my Cricut beside me that I keep running in the darn crafting room to go get it. The poor Slice is still in my journaling box all alone with no play time. I feel sorry for it.

I have come to rely on my Cricut.

Yes, the machine can be expensive. It really can because I was one of those "Oh, I am not going to get a Gypsy!" Yeah right I am getting a Gypsy.

I buy little accessories for my Cricut like SCAL and Design Studio, lol.

I want to paint it, seriously. DH is going to mod out my Cricut for me.

I do buy a lot of carts. I love my carts. I just love that machine to pieces.

My two most used die cutting machines are the Gazelle and Cricut.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #19
Die Cut Diva

I have the Cricut Expressions, BossKut Gazelle, Xyron Personal Cutting System, Making Memories Slice and a Cuttlebug.

I love all my machines and die cutting is my fascination hobby, lol.

We made a craft room recently. DH and I are big crafter's. I do a lot of art journaling. I kept an art journaling box in my living room. I have my Gazelle in the living room too since it needs my computer. I put my Slice in my journaling box.

I miss my Cricut beside me that I keep running in the darn crafting room to go get it. The poor Slice is still in my journaling box all alone with no play time. I feel sorry for it.

I have come to rely on my Cricut.

Yes, the machine can be expensive. It really can because I was one of those "Oh, I am not going to get a Gypsy!" Yeah right I am getting a Gypsy.

I buy little accessories for my Cricut like SCAL and Design Studio, lol.

I want to paint it, seriously. DH is going to mod out my Cricut for me.

I do buy a lot of carts. I love my carts. I just love that machine to pieces.

My two most used die cutting machines are the Gazelle and Cricut.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #20
Rubber Obsessor

I have a Big Shot, which I love for embossing and the capabilities for using the Nestabilities.
I started out a couple years ago with the original Cricut. I really do like it a lot. I won an Expression last spring at a crop and am so happy with that because you can do so much more with it.

I do have SCAL (Sure Cuts a Lot) and that is wonderful - being able to use any TrueType font and cut dingbats and files that others make available takes the Cricut way beyond what's on the cartridges.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

I am looking at a Slice but there is a new machine coming...I saw it on a thread here that die cuts electronically but you dont need a mat. I am going to be watching for that machine and the reviews before I get another die cut machine.
blessings.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #22
Stampin' Fool

I should have said I also have a big shot also and love it.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #23
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKICIOView Post
If you're planning to buy a Cricut Expression, wait till Black Friday (after Thanksgiving Sale). I got mine last year for only $199 with 2 cartridges from Michael's, which they price matched from Walmart
Great tip! I think I will do that!
My Etsy Shop!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #24
Rubber Obsessor

I love my expression! I also have the original little bug, cuttlebug, old red sizzix, revolution, and big shot will be here on tuesday, Silhouette love the print and cut feature, and working on gettinga slice in the very near future.

I have the design studio which is really fantastic becasue I can design while I am at school on break and then cut it out when I get home.(I put it on my lap top)
Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #25
Gallery Gazer

Another Cricut Expression lover here!!! I use mine ALL the time. It has proven to be well worth what I paid and more. I have used it for those Science fair projects, projects for kids, vinyl lettering (that alone is worth it to me), church projects for myself and others, not to mention scrapbooking, cards, you name it I can cut it!!!

Also, for those that are needing more space must not have many big shot dies! They take up way more space than a cricut and cartridges and will only cut ONE size, one image! I have the original red sizzix from way back when and lots and lots of dies that I need to get rid of b/c I NEVER use them anymore. I have a cuttlebug that I use with my nesties (they are great for stamping then cutting out) and embossing folders.

I can't imagine you regretting getting one.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #26
Hardware Hotshot

i have a SLice and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
i am mostly a card and small item maker, so it is just right for me. the largest it cuts is 4". it fits my budget too, i have found some of the design cards for 19.95!
it is also cordless which comes in handy alot too
it can emboss, cut, and soon they will have drawign tips too.
and with the new MS+ design cards, you can mirror, shadow and flip images. fun fun fun
Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 AM   #27
Rubber Obsessor

I have an Expression, Big Shot, and Cuttlebug.

I love them all to pieces!!

The Expression cost more up front but has been indispensable when it comes to the amount of options it has.

Definitely a "must-have" in my craft room.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #28
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Big Shot, Cuttlebug and the Spellbinder's Wizard which I don't use much. The first two I use all the time and have scads of dies. I'm debating buying the Cricut also and the Black Friday idea is great. Walmart has them at 279.00 right now I think. I have such an investment in dies and need more time to see the machine demonstrated. Three people had them at a crop I was at yesterday and it looks like something you wouldn't want to carry around too often.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #29
Embossing Fanatic

I just sold my baby bug and bought the pink expression from Michales and I LOVE it! I use it so much more than I ever used my baby bug. I also have a Cuttlebug and a Revolution and love them both also.
I buy most of my cartridges at www.customcrops.com super fast shipping and great customer service.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #30
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the new place for me to look for bargains. !
Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #31
Rubber Obsessor

I love mine. I bought it last xmas. Honestly I don't use it very often. Maybe once a mth. But it worths every penny. The possibilities are endless. I can do almost anything with this machine and the cartridges. The size of the expression is very important. I really suggest you to buy the expression instead of the smaller models if you can afford it.....since you can make so much more with this bigger model. It utilizes some carts like Wild Card and TBBM (Tags, Boxes ... I forget the full name, sorry!)

Besides of helping me make wonderful cards and craft projects, it makes me feel "creative". This psychological factor is very important.

Drawbacks: The price the the cart is not cheap. They add up quick. And they are ADDICTIVE. Always want MORE!

Vanessa

P.S. - Do you need it NOW? It had some good sales last yr after Thanksgiving. It may worth it if you wanna wait for a better deal.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:36 AM   #32
Polyshrink Goddess

I looked at Walmart yesterday and the machines had gone up 20.00 so we'll see what they do after Thanksgiving. Then I can ask for cartridges for Xmas. There are some good deals on ebay on the cartridges. Anyone have any recommendations for those.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #33
Pearl-ExPert

i have had my cricut for 2 years - cartridge recommendation - FIRST NEVER EVER PAY FULL PRICE EVER!!!

my most fave place to get carts, all cuttlebug items, spellbinders and just rite - Stamps Alive - her name is terri and she always has THE BEST deals. not only that but she always has the best customer service - she is a small operation which means very personal service and i like that.

second watch for sales at the big box places - now is usually the time, after christmas you are less likely to see sales until the end of summer again - at least that is what i have noticed......
HTH
M