Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Question Hero Arts Frame Cuts

I just purchased my first Hero Arts stamp set with matching dies. The dies are all connected together instead of being separated. I've searched the Hero Arts site and can't find how they recommend separating the individual die pieces. Has anyone here done this successfully?

Thanks,

BJ
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
Gallery Gazer

Hi BJ and welcome! Many/most companies sell dies that are joined. You just snip the little wires off. With some sets you can flex the metal between shapes to separate them, but you’ll have sharp pieces sticking out. And speaking of that, be careful of your eyes - those little wire bits can fly.I’ve heard some people put the die in a large baggie, and die cut inside the bag. I have a small, deep trash can with a removable insert, and I put that on my lap and stick the dies and my hand down into that. And goggles work!

Here’s a little video that shows how, but basically wire cutters made for jewelry do the trick -not the larger type, which is too big to get into tight spots. She shows a sanding file at the end, but after dies are separated, I just snip off any nubs. It only takes a couple minutes to separate everything. (A few sets I’ve left together.) 

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 06-13-2020 at 05:23 PM..
pepperann, kazeka, Teachybaby and 3 others like this post.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
Cardstock Collector

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much! My husband had a pair and cut them apart for me. Still need to file a couple places down, but can do that later. I got the stamps cut out. We both wear glasses, but I'd sure tell anyone to wear goggles who didn't.

Really appreciate you taking the time to answer and find the video!

Barbara
pepperann, kazeka, gobarb26 and 1 others like this post.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #4
Crimping Master

The ones that are just connected with wires are the easy ones to deal with, but some of the older dies were a real bear. They are solid dies, and come in all one piece, with the die shapes all inside the main plate. The old Papertrey ink dies were like, as were a few other companies. There is no way to separate the dies, so I guess you're supposed to cut the die shape out first and then try to line it up to stamp.

My mom had passed on a small pair of wire snips that are just perfect to separate the ones attached by little wires. I've had the snips for 15 years and got more use out of them in the past 3 years than I ever had!

Karen
pepperann and bjeans like this post.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:01 AM   #5
Gallery Gazer

Sure, BJ, any time! I’ve never used my files (that I had for something else) since with mini wire cutters/jewelry snips you can get close to the die, unlike with regular wire cutters. 

Small nubs are fine - you just don’t want sharp bits. So after cutting the dies apart - sometimes just bending some pieces back and forth to break the connections - any wires sticking out, can be re-snipped close to the die. The whole process takes a couple minutes.

This is the type of wire cutter that works well due to both size and the angle. And it’s on sale: https://www.katscrappiness.com/produ...at-scrappiness

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 06-14-2020 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: Crazy extra lines and spaces
BJNstamps likes this post.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
Cardstock Collector

Thanks, Beth. My husband found a pair of small needle nose pliers that had a cutter that worked.

BJ
Old 06-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #7
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

If they're smaller dies that match up with stamps and none of them are nested, you can leave them attached - flip to about 1:57 for that technique here:

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

TeeGeeDee and vdutchr like this post.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:46 AM   #8
Gallery Gazer

I used to do that, Dini, but wouldn’t use the extra die cuts and there’d be less room on my plate for dies from other sets. There are a couple sets that are the exception thoguh, so helpful point. (I haven’t seen the video.)
Old 06-16-2020, 07:04 AM   #9
Insane Embellisher

I use small wire snips and sometimes get pieces that are still kind of sharp left on the die. I asked my husband for a small file and used it to file my dies smooth one night while I watched TV. A couple weeks later he surprised me with my own pack of files, I think from Harbor Freight. Some are flat, some domed, one round.......all pretty small, with a handle, and quite perfect for the job at hand. Don't use them a whole lot but look forward to using them when the need arises.
kazeka likes this post.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #10
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

One other thing to note about cutting off the connectors--make sure they land in a baggie, disposable cloth (which you then throw out), trash bag/can, whatever. If they end up on the floor, they can and likely will end up in your foot! I've personally never had that happen to me, since I've always cut mine so they go into a trash bag. We have cats, so I especially don't want any of them to get sharp metal bits in their little paddy paws! Just thought I'd point that out.

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
TeeGeeDee and kazeka like this post.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJNstamps
View Post

Thank you so much! My husband had a pair and cut them apart for me. Still need to file a couple places down, but can do that later. I got the stamps cut out. We both wear glasses, but I'd sure tell anyone to wear goggles who didn't.

Really appreciate you taking the time to answer and find the video!
Barbara

Not sure what you mean by getting the stamps cut out. Stamps are 'peeled' off the clear acetate sheet for use and then stuck back to the sheet when finished. Did you cut each stamp off the clear acetate sheet?
Old 06-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #12
Crimping Master

Dancing Purple Cat,  She is talking about the dies. They often come attached together by little wire connectors and need to be cut apart.
Karen

Last edited by kazeka; 06-16-2020 at 01:27 PM..
Old 06-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #13
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazeka
View Post

Dancing Purple Cat, She is talking about the dies. They often come attached together by little wire connectors and need to be cut apart.
Karen

Yes, I know what she meant about the dies in her earlier post, but then she said stamps in her other post and since she's new to stamping I was just making sure she wasn't cutting her stamps off the acetate sheet they come on.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
Crimping Master

Dancing Purple Cat,
Ugh, I sure do hope she isn't cutting the stamps apart! Didn't notice that she used the word stamps in her later post so I do hope that was just a typo.
Karen
Old 06-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #15
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercrafter40
View Post

One other thing to note about cutting off the connectors--make sure they land in a baggie, disposable cloth (which you then throw out), trash bag/can, whatever. If they end up on the floor, they can and likely will end up in your foot! I've personally never had that happen to me, since I've always cut mine so they go into a trash bag. We have cats, so I especially don't want any of them to get sharp metal bits in their little paddy paws! Just thought I'd point that out.

I am lax about making sure the snipped off pieces end up in the trash (mainly because they fly in unexpected directions when I snip them)

I will say that I have had some of the wire chads poke me when I am barefoot! I’ve had to have hubby pull out theses wire stickers - and the hurt!

I’ve started doing my snips outside on our deck so I don’t have to worry about this (hubby uses leaf blower on deck weekly, so metal chads don’t cause a problem, they sift down between the boards on the deck and cause no harm.)
Old 06-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
Gallery Gazer

I just stuff my hand down into a narrow trash can (that’s paper only!) and others use a baggy, which is a better idea than what I do. No flying wires.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #17
Proud Fan Club Member

I use this kind of thing: you can find them cheaper if you google jewelry wire cutters

Metal Snippers, Cheery Lynn Designs - Ellen Hutson LLC

Ellen also has a set of files-I have one, not the same brand but I like them to get rid of the nibs. I will do this over paper towel.

File Set, KaiserCraft - Ellen Hutson LLC

I agree about the bits. I might work under and over a paper towel on my desk. That way I can see the piece and KNOW I wont be stepping on it. If I am being alert I will also turn my head or close my eyes even though I wear glasses. I may spray the bottom towel with water seems to help prevent bounce of bits...I also wipe the files with a damp paper towel and then dry it.

I try to do it this way-go as close to the edge on one side, and then the other. This means I get the biggest bit/easiest to see and also have less filing. Vs cutting in the middle and then having to cut both sides again. Hope that made sense.

Some people don't bother sanding and they will just bend it back and forth till it gives. Bless them. I am tired of scratching myself on the sharp nibs.