Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hero Arts Card Stock?

How does the Hero Arts white card stock compare to others like Neenah? It's listed as premium dove white, but no weight. Does anyone know? Also, is it a nice bright white? What about their other colors, are they 80lb? I am also interested in a "kraft" color. I usually get it from Stampin Up but hate to pay shipping...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 01:56 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, since no one more knowledgable has jumped in yet, I'm going to give this a shot. All of this info is to the best of my knowledge.

Perhaps no one has answered you is b/c this product is so new. It was just released with their new catalog in the last couple of weeks. So, my guess is that people are still waiting to get their hands on it to venture an opinion. Except the insiders, of course.

As far as weight, I do remember reading that it is all heavy weight (#100 - #110, but don't quote me on that) suitable for card bases, but the weight depends on the color.

As far as how bright the white is, I haven't seen it personally yet, so I can't say. I do know the sampler pack sold out very quickly on their web site.

As far as comparison, I'd give that a short while so people can get it and test it. I would like to know how it does w/alcohol-based markers.

I, too, like the low free shipping threshold at Hero Arts (if that was what you were referring to), and personally would trust their quality since I have never had a problem with any of their products nor heard of anyone else having a problem. In other words, Hero Arts is one of those companies whose products you can trust to be what they claim. Not an affiliate, just a customer's opinion.

I don't know if any of that was helpful, I hope so. At the very least, it'll bump your question back to the top so someone else who knows more might see it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I just emailed Hero Arts to ask if their new line is the same cardstock as their layering Hues cardstock that came in coordinated 3-color packs. If it is, it’s a really nice quality. I’ll have to check it against my Neenah Classic Crest 80 and 110 to guess weight. My recollection is that it’s heavier than 80, but could be wrong. I’ll re-post when I hear back.

They’re out of their sample pack of all the colors, which is what I’ll try, but they tend to get items back quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you both! I am not too familiar with Hero Arts, only been getting their monthly kits for a few months but never tried any other products. I've been putting off ordering white card stock for a while now, and I am getting to the point where I need it and was hoping to get some with my next kit or order Neenah card stock. I didn't realize that these papers were a brand new product.

I really appreciate your input and will add a couple of packs to my next kit. Also need to see if I find some sort of Kraft paper, as I am running out of that too. I did order 3 stamp set from their catalog release, but tried to keep my order around 50 dollars, as I overspent my stamping budget with that order already ... now I regret not ordering it because the sampler pack is sold out! That would have been nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy Papertrey ink cardstock. Very good quality. White 110# is $6. for 40 sheets and $9. for packs of fifty in the colors. They also have other pack sizes of colored with $3. for packs of 12 being the smallest amount. The minimum purchase for free shipping is $80. Otherwise shipping is $8. I buy a foot and a half at a time and get free shipping. They had a sale at 15% off this month so I bought a bunch. Sales are usually once or twice a year. I imagine that Hero Arts is good quality like all their products but the price was more than double so I stick with Papertrey. I also buy several weights of Neenah Solar White when I can get a big pack on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

ETA: The Hero Arts CS rep emailed back and corrected herself. The new cardstock is 100 and 110, not 80 and 110.

Hero Arts responded that the paper was 80 to 110, and didn’t say if it was the same as previously so I wrote back and asked for clarification.

i like Papertrey’s colored cardstock, but stopped buying it because the corners often came damaged, and CS wasn’t helpful. I’d also prefer 80 lb for layering since I had Neenah for bases.

(I realize squished corners is not that unusual a problem for quite a few companies who don’t secure the paper in the shipping box. SU has very nicely replaced paper when corners are beat up.)
Since a ream of Neenah (110 and 80) lasts me centuries, that’s my go-to, and when 3/4 of the way done, watch for good prices - often on Amazon with Prime/free shipping.

Elizabethcraftdesigns.com has just lovely white cardstock that I used in her class at a Stamp & SB Expo, so bought some. It only comes in 10-piece packs for $4.25 (110) and $3.95 (90, not 80). Oh, and 12x12.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-28-2019 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: correction from hero arts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

The bent corners is why I haven't yet ordered another pack of Neenah yet from Amazon. I looked at Ellen Hutson for Neenah, but the free shipping which I would get from Hero Arts when I add it to my kit would be so helpful, which is the reason I asked. (I hate to pay for shipping!)

I did in the past also get the recollections card stock from Michaels, but for some reason when I score it and fold it would sometimes tear in the fold depending on which way I cut/scored the paper.

Papertrey cost of CS does sound like a good deal, but I would have to add shipping to that. But thanks for bringing that up, I definitely need to do some price comparison too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Did you buy an entire ream of Neenah from Amazon? Maybe just lucky, but reams have always arrived undamaged, whether from Amazon or another vendor, but not the smaller packs from PTI, SU, etc.

Hero Arts cardstock always arrived undamaged but I don’t remember how they packaged it - could they be the ones who put cardboard corners around the cardstock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

How long ago did you experience the bent corners problem? I rarely buy paper from PTI, but I noticed that they’re putting corrugated protectors around the corners now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I'm date impaired and don't keep receipts for consumables, but maybe the first few months of 2018? Wait- you've jogged my memory. Corrugated cardboard did cover the corners, and the damage was seen only after removing them and the packaging. The PTI rep quickly said there was nothing they could do because I opened the packaging. I wasn't even asking for anything - just thought they'd want to know, so was taken aback by the conversation and tone.

With good options for high quality cardstock, and white being mostly Neenah, it wasn't a big deal.

Speaking of other options, The Paper Cut has some nice kraft colored paper (Fossil), as does Neenah. An LSS (since closed) used to carry lots of Paper Cut CS and it was used in classes. http://thepapercut.com/mm5/merchant....ry_Code=CDSTCK

NOTE: And Hero Arts just emailed and said their new CS weights vary between 110 and 100 - NOT 80 - depending on color. Not sure how important that is to people? For me they're both heavy and close enough to not matter.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-28-2019 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

That sucks. Sorry you had that experience. I don’t order a lot of paper from them. I guess I just got lucky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I'm date impaired and don't keep receipts for consumables, but maybe the first few months of 2018? Wait- you've jogged my memory. Corrugated cardboard did cover the corners, and the damage was seen only after removing them and the packaging. The PTI rep quickly said there was nothing they could do because I opened the packaging. I wasn't even asking for anything - just thought they'd want to know, so was taken aback by the conversation and tone.

With good options for high quality cardstock, and white being mostly Neenah, it wasn't a big deal.

Speaking of other options, The Paper Cut has some nice kraft colored paper (Fossil), as does Neenah. An LSS (since closed) used to carry lots of Paper Cut CS and it was used in classes. http://thepapercut.com/mm5/merchant....ry_Code=CDSTCK

NOTE: And Hero Arts just emailed and said their new CS weights vary between 110 and 100 - NOT 80 - depending on color. Not sure how important that is to people? For me they're both heavy and close enough to not matter.

Thanks for all your help. It was a few years ago that I purchased a ream from Amazon, but after doing a recent search there were some others that seemed to have had this problem, they were older posts though. It was mentioned that they never had this problem with Ellen Hutson's shop therefore I thought about getting my Neenah there, but then have to pay shipping. I don't care much about weight numbers but do want it to be sturdy enough for card bases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 03:16 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Elizabeth, thanks, no big deal, could trim off and make the card a tiny bit smaller if using as a base, or if using for die cuts or layering, easy to remove too. Now back to the regularly schedule programming...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
Thanks for all your help. It was a few years ago that I purchased a ream from Amazon, but after doing a recent search there were some others that seemed to have had this problem, they were older posts though. It was mentioned that they never had this problem with Ellen Hutson's shop therefore I thought about getting my Neenah there, but then have to pay shipping. I don't care much about weight numbers but do want it to be sturdy enough for card bases.

Please don’t take my word for it that a ream of Neenah will arrive undamaged from Amazon. They’re not good packers! I’ve thought a heavy ream can better withstand being flung around in a box than a small pack will, but it could be luck of the draw. One ream’s paper wrapper was ripped, and even then the cardstock was fine. But you never know.

When something has been damaged, Amazon has always been quick to offer a full or partial refund or re-send the item, though sometimes the back-and-forth is kind of crazy. We buy a lot and have had Prime since day one, and suspect that has something to do with it, though could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes