Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Help for weak hands - easier paper punch?

Hello everyone,

Please help me find a thread that helps us find paper punches (like larger round or scallop punches, not the plier-type) that are easy to use if one has weak hands, arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome and cannot press down with much weight.

I love Martha Stewart's edgers. They are easy for me to use. But her all-around-the-paper punches look horrifying for me to try (I watched YouTube). I don't want to spend $$$ then find out I cannot press hard enough to get a hole punched.

I see all the different types and my mind spins.

Thank you for any help

With huglets-Rosy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that the Clever Lever punches would be your best bet if you have weak hands. The lever does just what a lever does and makes them easier to punch.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Smile Thanks, Meechelle!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeechelleView Post
I would think that the Clever Lever punches would be your best bet if you have weak hands. The lever does just what a lever does and makes them easier to punch.
"Clever Lever?" I will definitely take a look at those!

With much thanks,

Rosy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

You could get a tool like this one:
Power Punch
Then you could use any punch you wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I too use the power punch, I have arthritis in my hands, I've had it for years, and I just turned 50 in August, so I understand.

I ended up donating my Red Sizzix to a friend because the lever action was too much and purchased a Cuttlebug for my embossing folders and dies. Much easier on my hands.

I also bought a Cricut Expression, it's so much easier on my hands, push a button and it cuts for you, love it. I can cut out simple shapes, borders, frames, etc. Cheaper, no, easier on my hands, yes. LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Power punch? I will also look at that! Thank you everyone. I, too, use Cuttlebug but even that is hard for me. When I am done turning, I also turn over in bed! Aaargh!

Best wishes, and thank you all for your experiences!

Aloha, Rosy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Hi Rosy! I'm not sure if you would be interested in this but I thought I would post it for you anyways! Spellbinders has a new item called the Presto Punch. You can purchase the die cuts (these are inexpensive) and run it through the machine. The dies are small and would work great for cards and scrapbook pages as well. With this machine you can punch, emboss, and stencil. This would be a great machine for you because it is so easy to use and it shouldn't hurt your hands at all! The machine retails for $69.99 and it runs on batteries or you can also purchase the power cord which runs for $29.99. I purchased these items at AC. Moore and I used a coupon for each item which made it an inexpensive purchase. The die cuts run from about $9.00 and up and coupons were also accepted for them. You tube has some videos on this that you might want to check out. I have used mine a few times and I really like it. I'm hoping to maybe sell my punches at some point. Between this and my nesties I should be all set!!

Good luck with what you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
You could get a tool like this one:
Power Punch
Then you could use any punch you wanted.
That is exactly what I was going to suggest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Fiskars new punches are, supposedly, easier to use than the older versions. They have a blurb on the package from the Arthritis foundation. I thought about buying the power punch but I just use my die cutters now. I do have an easier time with the Martha Stewart and the lever version of Marvy Uchida. I gave my Mom a bunch of punches recently because I have weak hands too. I was punching a doily creation one day and sprained my hand pretty bad. I said no more after that. Now, I am using dies and electronic cutters. I do intricate needlework a lot. It's my first love. I don't want to hurt my hands any more using bad punches.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi,
Yes, I have watched tutorials on Presto Punch. I have invested in two Cuttlebugs (one was 1/2 off brand new and my first one already has a gasket coming loose from the handle). Is the Presto Punch the one that is a bit noisy? Or am I confusing it with another one.... I do use my Nestabilities and Cuttlebug to cut out shapes. I do this in bed because of how disabled I am. Wow, how much easier it might be to work on a desk but I physically I just can't do it. Anyway, I just thought it would be quicker with a hand punch for those just-need-a-hole-right-here cards. I super enjoy using Nestabilities, but am winded once I cut a shape. Thank you everyone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Martha Stewart punches are very easy for me to use, well, as easy as can be. I use wax paper and aluminum foil to keep them sharp and ez to cut paper. Marvy Uchida looks like a possibility. Thank you everyone for your helpful recommendations!!! I appreciate it greatly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Hi Rose! Yes, the Presto Punch is a bit noisy, but it only takes a few seconds to cut your image. Put your paper and die in the folder put it in the machine and presto, it is done! I really like it and with your weak hands it probably would work out well for you! Watch the videos on you tube again and see how easy it is to use. The dies are even less expensive then a punch and there is usually 3 dies to each set. Is there a craft store near you where you could maybe see it in person?

Good luck in whatever you decide to go with,
Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi, Connie,

Yes, I will watch the videos again I almost accidentally purchased their dies instead of Nesties one day when I was beyond tired. I just sort of remembered noise when they tried using the Presto at one of the craft shows recently and I saw them on YouTube or something. I will look it up again.

The nearest craft store is a 2 hour one way drive, and I am nearly bedridden so seldom leave home I order almost everything online. My husband is amazed how expensive my 'new hobby' is, since I was turned on about oh, six months ago now. He just tells me 'more of your financial investments came in the mail today' and hands me all these pkgs of stamps and everything under the sun. I think my friend, Jill, owns stock in cardmaking some how...
Thanks again, everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

I find the punches with a lever (like Martha Stewart and SU) easiest to use. I have a piece of 1/2" thick wood, about 6" square and I put it on top of the punches that do not have a lever (eg. the McGill flower punches) and then press down on that - it makes it easier on my hands than just pressing on the round centre of those punches.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I have so many punches and 5 strains of arthritis, one of them rheumatoid, in my thumb and finger joints. What I do is.. I use all of my existing punches, but I have put a little bit of reuseable adhesive (like Zig two-way) along the place where the lined up paper will be on each punch. When dry, the adhesive is like a post-it-note, holding the paper. I put the punch on the floor and then I step on it instead of using my hands. IT WORKS, even the border punches where you have to move the paper, line it up and punch again and again. And if I have to use my hand to press down, I wear a heavy-quilted oven mitt. That helps. Get you some scrap paper and try my floor method. It's easy to get the hang of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default Cool, you made your own Stamp Press!

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I find the punches with a lever (like Martha Stewart and SU) easiest to use. I have a piece of 1/2" thick wood, about 6" square and I put it on top of the punches that do not have a lever (eg. the McGill flower punches) and then press down on that - it makes it easier on my hands than just pressing on the round centre of those punches.
This also sounds like a possibility. I will try to make sure the wood does not slip off the top lever when pressing down (whoops!)

Thank you for wracking your brains for me, everyone!!!!!

Best wishes and aloha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I love the Fiskars squeeze punches they are very easy on the hands
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Marvy Trigger type punch?

I just got a punch from Marvy that accepts different shapes from them. I forgot what it's called, but it looks a little like a hot-glue gun and has a trigger type action. I already had one of the shapes for it, but it was nearly impossible to punch without the trigger gadget. I will try it with my Sunday School kids soon and see how it works for them. They were frustrated by many of the conventional punches due to not having enough hand strength (little kids). We did try stepping on some of them, with some success (the punches, not the kids!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Wink You are so funny!"t

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitebatView Post
I just got a punch from Marvy that accepts different shapes from them. I forgot what it's called, but it looks a little like a hot-glue gun and has a trigger type action. I already had one of the shapes for it, but it was nearly impossible to punch without the trigger gadget. I will try it with my Sunday School kids soon and see how it works for them. They were frustrated by many of the conventional punches due to not having enough hand strength (little kids). We did try stepping on some of them, with some success (the punches, not the kids!).
'the punches, not the kids '

I have asked the same thing, but couldn't find a thread about it. But quite a few people recommend the Clever Lever paper punches. I have not bought one yet, but am getting ready to try and find one online. I would like a butterfly punch, but after reading all the reviews on MS Monarch punch, whew - I'll skip that one. Carpal tunnel doesn't work with those tough punches, either.

Best wishes,
rosy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

The McGill Silhouette lever butterfly punch is easy to use. I have arthritis in my hands and I can easily use this punch and the butterfly is beautiful. McGill Silhouette Lever Butterfly Craft Punch | Overstock.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Aloha! What if you ask your hubby to punch stuff out for you? Men have stronger hands than we do!

Ask him to go shopping for you ( again!) to get a spray can of silicone spray. If he takes your punch outside and sprays the moving mechanisms inside and it will glide easier and take less strength to punch. The stuff is like a mechanical lubricante for tools and stuff. After you spray it use some old scrap or computer paper and punch a few times to get it going and remove the excess so as not to ruin your good paper! See if that helps some along with some of the other SCS 's ideas.

Oh, it's not WD-40 but silicone spray. It's in the car parts or tools department. I think it has an odor to it so it's best to spray outdoors anyways. It goes away right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Talking Good Idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayjoynstampView Post
Aloha! What if you ask your hubby to punch stuff out for you? Men have stronger hands than we do!

Ask him to go shopping for you ( again!) to get a spray can of silicone spray. If he takes your punch outside and sprays the moving mechanisms inside and it will glide easier and take less strength to punch. The stuff is like a mechanical lubricante for tools and stuff. After you spray it use some old scrap or computer paper and punch a few times to get it going and remove the excess so as not to ruin your good paper! See if that helps some along with some of the other SCS 's ideas.

Oh, it's not WD-40 but silicone spray. It's in the car parts or tools department. I think it has an odor to it so it's best to spray outdoors anyways. It goes away right away.
I really like the ideas My husband has two very gigantic hands, the size of stuffed baseball catcher mitts. He has no dexterity required for punching, but can twist open a stuck pipe with his bare hands! I like the silicone spray - will ask him to pick up a small spray can for me. Thank you so much! Mahalo, and aloha, kona rosy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #23  
Glitter Queen

I heard there is a less expensive version (plastic) of the Power Punch. Has anyone heard about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee217View Post
I heard there is a less expensive version (plastic) of the Power Punch. Has anyone heard about it.
I saw it at the local Ace Hardware craft dept here in Kona Hawai'i. It looked super lighweight and cheap, like it could crack easily when compressed. I didn't buy it after inspecting it. But since I didn't actually use it, I can't honestly say it would break easily - just looked like it. It was $17 on sale, reg $25? or higher regular price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a McGill Strong Arm. It works great. It works best with the old style punches. It does work with the lever punches and the new SU/EK Success punches as well. You just need to find the position that works best for the style of punch. I bought it used (like new) but the price on package is $19.99 so KonaRose the price on sale you saw is probably what they are going for on sale. I am not familiar with the Power Punch but the Strong Arm is plastic. I don't know that the Strong Arm looks that strong but it doesn't look like cheap plastic either.

I love how Ace Hardware on the islands has a craft department. My neighbor comes back every January with craft things from Ace. I've been to Hawaii but never an Ace Hardware store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Heart It's unique, huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
I have a McGill Strong Arm. It works great. It works best with the old style punches. It does work with the lever punches and the new SU/EK Success punches as well. You just need to find the position that works best for the style of punch. I bought it used (like new) but the price on package is $19.99 so KonaRose the price on sale you saw is probably what they are going for on sale. I am not familiar with the Power Punch but the Strong Arm is plastic. I don't know that the Strong Arm looks that strong but it doesn't look like cheap plastic either.

I love how Ace Hardware on the islands has a craft department. My neighbor comes back every January with craft things from Ace. I've been to Hawaii but never an Ace Hardware store.
Before moving over here, I just figured there would be a box store - Joann's, esp, maybe Michael's - anything. But the farther away one gets from Oahu, pickings for stamping supplies can get quite scarce. The ultra high prices here are what cause me to choke! It's way cheaper for me to shop online at Joann's, Ebay, Amazon and lots of the other smaller online stores catering to stampers.
Thanks ever so much for following up with me I appreciate deeply!!!
Aloha for now (past midnight and I have to try and fall asleep now).
All our bets to you and yours,
nightie night,
rosy and family
Reply With Quote Likes