Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, problem with ink spots :-(

A customer contacted me to let me know that both sets of her stampin spots (craft) are "watery and leaking oil" so badly that they are unusable. But she has used them a couple times before and they werent like that and when she attempted to use them last week, problem city. I emailed demo support and they said they would be happy to replace them....if they fall in the 90 day guarantee timeframe which they do not :-( This customer is a close friend of mine but she is fairly new to stampin and im afraid this might turn her off from the hobby (cant let that happen!). So does anyone have any ideas on how to clean them up? Maybe just avoid storing them upside down? I am kind of annoyed because while i understand their policies i feel that they should stand behind their products, especially since their ink pads are such high quality and have won all those awards from Creating Keepsakes, etc. Imagine being a new stamper...and not just one but all the ink you purchased was leaking/defective. If it were me, i certainly wouldnt be purchasing anything further from the company :???:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I can't help in the clean up dept, but my demo told me to keep my craft spots right side up.
I haven't had any trouble with mine.
Sorry I'm not more help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I'll keep that in mind from now on, thanks. Maybe if she starts storing them right side up some of the liquid will soak back in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I have stored mine upside down for a year and never had a problem. I would think it was something wrong with them, is it much over the 90 days??

C

My Creative Side

Some days just look better upside down" Eeyore
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I keep my regular ink pads upside down, but the spots I store rightside up because they just don't have the same type of seal and protection. I had a similiar problem right at first but they are fine now. In fact I really love the little spots!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am afraid I would be having an exchange of words with SU about now. I can not even begin to think they will not stand behind the products we spend so much money on!

I would demand to speak to a supervisor and explain this is not satisfactory!

Surely they will do something. If not we should all e-mail them and and file a compaint about their customer service and support of their products.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a thought, but does she have small fibers hanging out from the sides? This could cause some of the leaking. I read somewhere that if you cut these off, it decreases the leaking of ink from the spots. I had a problem with a couple of my spots, the top layer of fabric was pulling away from the pad, but I called my demo and she had them replaced for me...it was within the 90 days however. I really would call and discuss this with someone, this is a strange problem and they need to be aware of it. I would think they would want to see them to see what the problem is. good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Hey, SimplyStampin123,

Why not join the demo forum and ask your fellow demonstrators for some ideas. I bet they could helpwith some great solutions!

Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Several of mine leaked, also. Totally saturated the labels so I can't right off hand tell what color they are. It's probably because I did store them upside down. Lesson learned...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I recall reading something from SU recently (last couple of months???) that said specifically to store your spots right-side-up, not upside down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 07:01 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrairieStamper
I recall reading something from SU recently (last couple of months???) that said specifically to store your spots right-side-up, not upside down.
Is this for both the regular ink and craft? I store my regular ink spots upside down in the large clear stamp boxes that fit the BG stamps and haven't had any problems with them at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I remember reading that the sponge type pads should be store up and the felt type pads should be upside down. I don't have many spots, but store mine up.
Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by momsquiltn
Is this for both the regular ink and craft? I store my regular ink spots upside down in the large clear stamp boxes that fit the BG stamps and haven't had any problems with them at all.

I found the announcement on the Demo site and it doesn't specify either/or. Essentially they suggest storing them right-side-up and if they start to seem dry, turn them over. They suggest that you test them before you stamp with them.

But the general advice seems to be right-side-up to avoid any leaking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question!
:-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

I have had cheapie metallic pigment ink pads leak an oily substance. that was back when I was storing them downside-up and hadn't even heard of dye ink pads. The only pigment pads I've had do this were super-cheap, so I guess if that is the kind of product SU wants to be on par with, that is their choice. I guess if you had some spare hostess bucks lying around (ha!) you could use those to help buy her a new set of spots, and if those crap out too you can return them. But hopefully speaking to a supervisor will solve the problem for you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, it does sound like the ink has separated, sort of like peanut butter does, lol? Have her try storing them right side up again, and then try using a stamp to try and work the ink back into the pad. This works for the reverse problem, when the pad seems too dry and it's brand new? Pushing on the pad sort of mixes the oily part and the pigment back together like, well, like peanut butter.

It's frustrating about the 90 days, but since you said the inks were NOT doing that at first, I can't help but wonder what SU should do? (Quote: "...But she has used them a couple times before and they werent like that...")
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 04:08 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplyStampin123
This customer is a close friend of mine but she is fairly new to stampin and im afraid this might turn her off from the hobby (cant let that happen!).
After all the clean up suggestions- if the spots are still unuseable, perhaps explain to her that they don't fall under warranty because they are more than 90 days, but you would be willing to extend to her a 20% discount on this one item if she would like to replace them- so essentially she can replace them at cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 05:14 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

After 90 days you can pay 10% od the original cost to have them replaced if needed. This comes from Demo Support. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 07:01 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anessa,

!0% sounds much better that we can do nothing!

If storing these is so un-clear, why does SU not put storage instructions on their package? Most things do come with instructions of some sort?

Just my 2 cents worth!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I second what Betsy suggests. Craft/pigment ink is different than dye ink. Pigment ink is a suspension of tiny pigment particles in a liquid medium (the oily substance). Over time, it separates, and needs to be mixed up (like oil and vinegar salad dressing, or the natural peanut butter Betsy mentioned). I usually use the back of a spoon and smoosh the pad all over several times to mix it. Depending on how much it has separated, it may take a little or a lot of mixing, but it will fix the oiliness problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Hmm, thanks for the responses. I will most likely be seeing her today so maybe ill try the spoon thing. I'll also check for strings sticking out but on my pads atleast ive only noticed strings on classic pads, not the craft because they are made of a foam material. I'm pretty sure SUP is closed today for the holiday but i might have to give them a call. If the 10% thing is true, i wouldnt mind replacing them out of my own pocket. I agree though, it should be clearly stated somewhere in the catalog and/or on the storage boxes, that they should be stored right side up. Now I'm curious....does this only apply to spots or full size craft pads too? I had a white craft pad leaking oil years ago (my first craft pad purchase!) but they replaced it and i havent had a problem since.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandilotter
Hey, SimplyStampin123,

Why not join the demo forum and ask your fellow demonstrators for some ideas. I bet they could helpwith some great solutions!

Sandi
Yes, great idea. The demo forum is really a great place to discuss the SU! if you have any issues with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I'm glad to report that the spots werent as bad as i anticipated. Some were a bit oily/watery but i mushed them around with the back of a plastic spoon as suggested, and it seemed to work better. Then i did a clean up job around the edges with a paper towel. I also advised her to store them right side up. She was already doing this, but had put them in her scrapbook tote vertically instead of flat so she thinks this may have lead to the problem. She says that they were worse the other day. It was very humid and hot that day so i'm wondering if they were 'sweating.' anyway, thanks for all of your help/suggestions. I believe the problem has been solved :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maironad
I second what Betsy suggests. Craft/pigment ink is different than dye ink. Pigment ink is a suspension of tiny pigment particles in a liquid medium (the oily substance). Over time, it separates, and needs to be mixed up (like oil and vinegar salad dressing, or the natural peanut butter Betsy mentioned). I usually use the back of a spoon and smoosh the pad all over several times to mix it. Depending on how much it has separated, it may take a little or a lot of mixing, but it will fix the oiliness problem.
I'll third these responses and add that it isn't oil, it's a medium closely related to glycerine. So... mix it up for the ones that are leaking, and if some seem overly dry, put a drop (literally one drop) of glycerin on the spot and do the back of the spoon thing! I did this to my spots that seemed dry and they totally refreshed!!! And always store right side up, never on their sides (think of how you would treat salad dressing).
Reply With Quote Likes