Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
Kookie Creator

Question Help! I need to buy a new printer...

Help. My printer died and I need a new one. There are so many on the market now. Please share your advice.

My word for the year is Decide
https://rebalicreates.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-14-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
Inking Addict

What are you using it for? How much are you wanting to spend? I'm not an expert, but answers to those questions may help us to help you.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
Kookie Creator

Post Needs/Wants

Thanks, you made me think! I want the printer to print in black and color. I want to be able to print sentiments on cardstock. I'd like to get digital stamps and to print them out. I can spend no more than $175. I need a fairly small printer for on my desk top.

My word for the year is Decide
https://rebalicreates.blogspot.com
Old 05-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
Matboard Maniac

wow - I need a new printer too. I'd like one with only a black cartridge and a color cartridge... don't like the new ones with one cartridge for each color - my brother had one and hated it. I use mine mostly for copies (recipes, church bulletins, addresses, tax papers, etc). I have an older Dell 944 and love it, but the last three times I ordered ink cartridges on line they have NOT worked. Very frustrating. Stores as well as Dell no longer carry what I need since this printer is so old. (not hooked up to a computer - it's in my craft room).

Thank you for any advice as well !
John 3:16
Old 05-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
Gallery Gazer

After procrastinating for ages, I finally said goodbye to my ancient Cannon Pixma and bought a Pixma TS9521C. The C at the end means it’s meant for crafters since it takes cardstock and 12x12 paper, not that I’ll use it for 12x12 much, if at all. 

Yet it’s smaller than my old printer that didn’t take 12x12. It also has loaded some already designed papers.

I purchased it by phone directly from Cannon; they gave a discount since my last printer was a Cannon. They’ll also check if other discounts apply.

Part of the reason I hoped to buy Cannon again is because their customer support is located in the U.S. in Virginia. They have been very helpful over the years. Once a rep helped me for over an hour while I tried to get something to work using an iPad, PC and the old Pixma. The drivers were out of date and the rep figured out a workaround, and had me upload a driver not meant for it.

Sales support (different people) can be excellent or average, I’ve found. When I bought the printer this time the first rep didn’t seem very engaged so I excused myself and called back to get someone less tired.

I considered getting a color laser and the sales rep told me something that made me rule it out, and for the life of me can’t remember what it was. It’s not that a laser isn’t the right choice for others though.

PIXMA TS9521C Wireless Inkjet All-In-One Printer | Canon Online Store|Canon Online Store
wannabcre8tive and dvs1121 like this post.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
Polyshrink Goddess

I just bought a Epson Wide Format XP-15000 printer if anyone else is looking for one (it's in the $300 range). I love it!

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Old 05-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #7
Cardstock Collector

I have The Canon Pixma 9521c and I love it. It's small, easy to use and will print 12x12. I've had it for about 3 years and it works great. I had a lot of wireless connection problems with an Epson and and HP. None with this.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
Compulsive Stamper

Money Saver HP Products

Hi, I am a big fan of HP. I have had their printer that is at least 10yrs. Great printing. The one item that I wanted to do is print on card stock, will not work on this printer.
May I suggest looking at Consumer Reports for the latest reviews on printers. There you may find really good info on printers.
Many Blessings, Bev
Old 05-19-2020, 10:10 PM   #9
Cardstock Collector

Location: In beautiful Blue Mountains National Park, West of Sydney, NSW, Australia

Just another observation - the cheaper the printer the dearer the ink cartridges are. So do your calculations including both the upfront cost and the ongoing consumables. We bought a dearer printer after investigation. Our calculations found it was a far more economical option over the long term.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #10
Cardstock Collector

I have a Cannon MG 3200series...cost $69 at BJ’s. The ink is a color and a black cartridge separate which I like because I do very little color printing. I can sit in one room and type whatever and hit print and it prints in the other room. It won’t print on heavy cardstock but no problem on 80#. It scans and prints with no problem! I’ve had for about 4 years and have had no problem. I would not hesitate to buy again...at that price how can you miss?