Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Big Shot and Shapeabilities die

Hi... I've been reading through the forums here, and I don't think I saw this issue addressed yet.

I just bought myself a Big Shot, and I love it already. It was working fine, until I tried to cut with a Shapeabilites die, and it just wouldn't cut through the paper, even really thin paper. I tried out different sandwiches, but nothing worked. Everything else I tried worked totally fine until this one die. At one point, I put it through with a paper shim, and while I don't think I forced it, it was a tight squeeze. I read all the things that say not to force it, but I really wasn't sure how tight it's supposed to get. Nothing on the machine seems to have broken, everything looks sturdy. Even though it was a tight squeeze, it still didn't cut.

I kept trying and trying, and then a while later, noticed that my cutting mats now seem to be bent out of shape - they are both a little curved now. This makes for some really uneven cuts and whatnot.

To get to the point, my questions are:
a) what's with the bent out of shape mats?
b) how on earth do I get this Shapeabilities die to work?
c) have I done something wrong and broken something by accident?
d) how tight should the sandwich be before you're "forcing" it?

I am impatient , so I already went on Amazon and bought myself some new cutting pads. Perhaps that will help?

Thanks for any advice!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Hi,

I have not had any problems using any of the Spellbinders dies in my Bigshot. To cut out, my sandwich is: multi-purpose platform (all tabs closed), cutting pad, die, cutting pad. Once cut, I run it through again to emboss: multi-purpose platform (one tab open), cutting pad, die, 2 X silicon embossing mats, cutting pad.

Not that it should really make a difference, but which shapeabilities die are you using?

The cutting plates do start to curve after a while, but I wouldn't have expected them to be curving so quickly on a new machine. Once they start curving, this can impact the cutting, but you still get at least partial cutting, and just rotate the die and pass through again.

I hate to ask the obvious question, but is the die the right side up (I only ask this, as I have tried to cut with the die the wrong way...and not just once :( )

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

The curved pads are no problem - I've had my cutting pads since I bought my Big shot in 2008/9 - so they are pretty etched, but they work great. The key is always run them through the machine with the curve up - so they look like a mountain, not a valley. This evens them out and gives you a good cut every time. I don't have a Shapeabilities die so I can't try that for you but pretty_penny's sandwich is the one you'd want. Do you have a multipurpose platform? Or the regular base?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Hmm, Blue, I believe that once I figured out that the pads were curved, I was putting them so that they were each curved in a different direction. (One with the curve up, the other with the curve down.) Maybe if I try putting them in the same direction? It still seems weird to me that this would happen after only about 10 cuts, though. (I bought the machine brand new amazon, it even came in this obnoxious plastic box.)

I am pretty sure the die is the right side up, as it makes an impression but doesn't actually cut. Plus, I tried it a whole bunch of different ways and nothing helped!

I am starting to think that maybe I just got a bum die?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuddlepillView Post
Hmm, Blue, I believe that once I figured out that the pads were curved, I was putting them so that they were each curved in a different direction. (One with the curve up, the other with the curve down.) Maybe if I try putting them in the same direction? It still seems weird to me that this would happen after only about 10 cuts, though. (I bought the machine brand new amazon, it even came in this obnoxious plastic box.)

I am pretty sure the die is the right side up, as it makes an impression but doesn't actually cut. Plus, I tried it a whole bunch of different ways and nothing helped!

I am starting to think that maybe I just got a bum die?

Which shapeabilities die are you using?

What sandwich are you using?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Also, dies work best in the Big Shot die side up then topped with the material you are cutting and then the top cutting plate. Occasionally a bum die sneaks out into the market. Are the cutting lines of your die even all the way around or different heights? If not even, you'll never get a clean cut and the manufacturer should replace it for you.
Thrilled to have been Featured Stamper #132
Thrilled to be a Puchkateer! Musezi
Thrilled to have been Queen for the Day #166
Thanks SCSers for all your encouragement!
Reply With Quote Likes