Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble with envelope punch board

Just bought the 123 Punch Board and made my first envelope. I made an envelope for a 5x7 card. I followed the directions and once the envelope was done it was the wrong size. It would fit a 5x5 card.

What could have gone wrong?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I always have trouble too, and have to make it wrong before I make it right. Firstly make sure you cut the paper the size the guide says - eg if you’re doing a 5x5 card, cut the paper to 8 1/8 x 8 1/8. The instruction is a little confusing - you actually have to line up the paper parallel and flush to the ruler - so you look for the measurements for the size envelope you want and the instructions will give a number - so for a 5x5 it’s 4 1/8”. Then you line the paper up flush against the ruler (parallel) at 4 1/8” on the left hand side of the bruler and punch. Then you turn the paper 90 degrees anti-clockwise - and repeat for all sides (also score at the diagonal line on the right hand side each time). Not sure if that makes sense - easiest to look on YouTube rather than try to understand me.
Other posters may totally contradict my explanation so they’re probably right. Also - practice on copy paper. Good luck! All I can say is I regularly screw it up too.
Stefany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #3  
Inking Addict

When making your envelope, measure and score the first side of your paper, from now on just use your score line to line up and score and don't use the measurement. That is why your envie ended up square instead of rectangular. I made that same mistake many times...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSStammperView Post
I always have trouble too, and have to make it wrong before I make it right. Firstly make sure you cut the paper the size the guide says - eg if you’re doing a 5x5 card, cut the paper to 8 1/8 x 8 1/8. The instruction is a little confusing - you actually have to line up the paper parallel and flush to the ruler - so you look for the measurements for the size envelope you want and the instructions will give a number - so for a 5x5 it’s 4 1/8”. Then you line the paper up flush against the ruler (parallel) at 4 1/8” on the left hand side of the bruler and punch. Then you turn the paper 90 degrees anti-clockwise - and repeat for all sides (also score at the diagonal line on the right hand side each time). Not sure if that makes sense - easiest to look on YouTube rather than try to understand me.
Other posters may totally contradict my explanation so they’re probably right. Also - practice on copy paper. Good luck! All I can say is I regularly screw it up too.
Stefany
thanks.....i've watched a few you tube videos and thought I had it right :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydView Post
When making your envelope, measure and score the first side of your paper, from now on just use your score line to line up and score and don't use the measurement. That is why your envie ended up square instead of rectangular. I made that same mistake many times...lol

Ahhhh, that's probably it. I WAS putting the paper up to the measurement at each turn. Next time I'm downstairs in my craft room I'll definitely try it this way. Makes more sense. Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 02:10 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I made another envelope and it came out the right size this time.

I just have to remember to only out it up the the punch measurement once. That's where I was going wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I made another envelope and it came out the right size this time.

I just have to remember to only out it up the the punch measurement once. That's where I was going wrong.

Great going! Measure once, score a bunch.

Sort of like measure twice, cut once but not. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes