In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert
 
maslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Plainfield Ct
Posts: 2,004
Default Having trouble with envelope punch board

Just bought the 123 Punch Board and made my first envelope. I made an envelope for a 5x7 card. I followed the directions and once the envelope was done it was the wrong size. It would fit a 5x5 card.

What could have gone wrong?
__________________
Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely BUT...to skid in sideways, chocolate in hand and screaming WOOHOO-WHAT A RIDE!

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!! :D
maslex is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Inking Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 75
Default

I always have trouble too, and have to make it wrong before I make it right. Firstly make sure you cut the paper the size the guide says - eg if you’re doing a 5x5 card, cut the paper to 8 1/8 x 8 1/8. The instruction is a little confusing - you actually have to line up the paper parallel and flush to the ruler - so you look for the measurements for the size envelope you want and the instructions will give a number - so for a 5x5 it’s 4 1/8”. Then you line the paper up flush against the ruler (parallel) at 4 1/8” on the left hand side of the bruler and punch. Then you turn the paper 90 degrees anti-clockwise - and repeat for all sides (also score at the diagonal line on the right hand side each time). Not sure if that makes sense - easiest to look on YouTube rather than try to understand me.
Other posters may totally contradict my explanation so they’re probably right. Also - practice on copy paper. Good luck! All I can say is I regularly screw it up too.
Stefany
KSStammper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Inking Addict
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 80
Default

When making your envelope, measure and score the first side of your paper, from now on just use your score line to line up and score and don't use the measurement. That is why your envie ended up square instead of rectangular. I made that same mistake many times...lol
floyd is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Bohodiva likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Pearl-ExPert
 
maslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Plainfield Ct
Posts: 2,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSStammper View Post
I always have trouble too, and have to make it wrong before I make it right. Firstly make sure you cut the paper the size the guide says - eg if you’re doing a 5x5 card, cut the paper to 8 1/8 x 8 1/8. The instruction is a little confusing - you actually have to line up the paper parallel and flush to the ruler - so you look for the measurements for the size envelope you want and the instructions will give a number - so for a 5x5 it’s 4 1/8”. Then you line the paper up flush against the ruler (parallel) at 4 1/8” on the left hand side of the bruler and punch. Then you turn the paper 90 degrees anti-clockwise - and repeat for all sides (also score at the diagonal line on the right hand side each time). Not sure if that makes sense - easiest to look on YouTube rather than try to understand me.
Other posters may totally contradict my explanation so they’re probably right. Also - practice on copy paper. Good luck! All I can say is I regularly screw it up too.
Stefany
thanks.....i've watched a few you tube videos and thought I had it right
__________________
Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely BUT...to skid in sideways, chocolate in hand and screaming WOOHOO-WHAT A RIDE!

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!! :D
maslex is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
Pearl-ExPert
 
maslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Plainfield Ct
Posts: 2,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When making your envelope, measure and score the first side of your paper, from now on just use your score line to line up and score and don't use the measurement. That is why your envie ended up square instead of rectangular. I made that same mistake many times...lol

Ahhhh, that's probably it. I WAS putting the paper up to the measurement at each turn. Next time I'm downstairs in my craft room I'll definitely try it this way. Makes more sense. Thanks!!!
__________________
Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely BUT...to skid in sideways, chocolate in hand and screaming WOOHOO-WHAT A RIDE!

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!! :D
maslex is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:10 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert
 
maslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Plainfield Ct
Posts: 2,004
Default

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I made another envelope and it came out the right size this time.

I just have to remember to only out it up the the punch measurement once. That's where I was going wrong.
maslex is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
floyd likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
Hardware Hotshot
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Roygbiville
Posts: 4,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I made another envelope and it came out the right size this time.

I just have to remember to only out it up the the punch measurement once. That's where I was going wrong.

Great going! Measure once, score a bunch.

Sort of like measure twice, cut once but not.
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off