Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 04-30-2017, 04:52 AM   #161
Pearl-ExPert

Ladies, thank you for all the lovely comments. I tried to cover the important stuff-I figured everyone was pretty well aware of how the idea actually works, so would be more interested in the other stuff!
Fifi, I too was extremely impressed with the solid metal bar hinge, and metal lined sockets. The likelihood of plastic breaking was a concern of mine too.
Keeping my fingers crossed for a resolution so you get yours soon!. It's actually very novel for something like this to get to us first, lol. I remember when Tim was doing the new Distress Inkpads each month, we were just getting the previous months, as the new one was announced!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Unread 04-30-2017, 05:09 AM   #162
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes, thanks for the review, Shaz. It looks like the Tonic is going to be everything I was hoping for. Let's just hope it is cleared for shipment here in the US soon!
cbet and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 04-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #163
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the lovely, well thought out review, Shaz!

I already have a Misti, so probably won't be getting this, but I know many people can't wait to get it.

I got my Misti for only $30 when there was a sale on a few "irregulars". I can't actually tell there is anything really wrong with it, and it works just fine.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Unread 04-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #164
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Bugga, they (the MISTI), are pretty expensive over here. The average price I've seen them at has been around the 50($65) mark, and I couldn't justify that cost to myself.Even the Mini one is hitting 40. My Tonic was was at a special pre-order price of 26.49- around $34. Even full retail over here the most I've seen has been 30, around $38.
cbet, Paula in GA, buggainok and 1 others like this post.
Unread 04-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #165
Die Cut Diva

Shaz, thank you so much for the wonderful unboxing, and please excuse me while I wipe away the drool. (How gross, right?) And it's about time you UKers got something first!

When I ordered something from one of the UK shops once, the owner and I were emailing a bit about Oxide inks. I had gone to a class, had played with them a bunch, and because CHA is much later in your neck of the woods, he hadn't seen them yet. So good on you!

Beth
shazsilverwolf and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 05-01-2017, 04:23 AM   #166
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, Beth, we are usually at least a month behind you, in getting products over here. Which I can fully understand, whichever company it is,the USA is going to be by far their biggest market.
Those of us who watch the CHA/Creativation videos with all the product releases, just make matters worse for ourselves,
buggainok, PikkuLilla and bjeans like this post.
Unread 05-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #167
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Hi again ladies, and here it is, straight out of the hands of the Postie!

It comes well packaged- the first box you see was inside a strong brown cardboard box, then an outer sleeve that is plastic wrapped. Foam above and below the platform too. Very happy with the packaging, highly unlikely to suffer damage in the postal system.
Now to play, and see how I like it. Results later. Instead of a load of photos here, I'll do a blog post and post the link here, so you can see the unboxing, and how it works.
Just looked all over, and there is no number on the product, but the invoice says 1708E.
Thank you, Shaz! I quoted you here to put the picture on the last page. If I am going to drool, I want others to share my misery...LOL

I read you blog post and am very impressed with the metal hinges. The detail in the butterflies confirmed this is my next purchase...no thinking about it.
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Unread 05-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #168
Proud Fan Club Member

GAH. This is torture. !

But please enjoy the fact that, for once, you are ahead of us in the US, Shaz. I know the shoe is too often on the other foot!
Unread 05-12-2017, 05:37 AM   #169
Proud Fan Club Member

Someone please tell me that I am missing something. I just looked on the Tonic website and couldn't find the stamp platform listed at all.

?
Unread 05-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #170
Pearl-ExPert

Here it is on the UK site
https://tonic-studios.co.uk/product/...latform-1708e/

I did not find it in the USA site.

I preordered one from Marco Paper just a couple days ago, so hopefully it is still going to be sold here....

I design for Just for Fun Rubber stamps.
Unread 05-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #171
Proud Fan Club Member

It's out of stock on the UK site.

I just find it odd that it disppeared from the Tonic site. Unless they are waiting to put up a pic and photos of the "revised" version, since they won't be selling the original here.
Unread 05-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #172
Proud Fan Club Member

I called Tonic and asked. The rep said she didn't know why it wasn't on the site anymore, probably because they needed to put up pictures of the revised one. She didn't know if the patent challenge had been concluded, but that as far as she knew, Tonic was still planning on a June release.

Is she correct? Here's hoping. The rep was very nice, but only the first line in the hierarchy, so may not have the most current info. But I thought it was worth a shot to call.
Unread 05-22-2017, 03:53 AM   #173
Glitter Queen

I've had my stamp platform for a few weeks now and I love it! I was a bit wary of the lid and whether it would be a nuisance flipping it over for clear or rubber but it has become second nature. The best thing for me about this platform is that I can easily line up my rubber stamps. I've cut a piece of acetate to fit the platform. This sits snugly in one corner. I stamp the image onto the acetate and then move my card around underneath the acetate until I get the image exactly where I want it. I can keep the card in place (even though it's not in the corner) with the magnets. I have another stamping platform and I cannot use it in this way due to lack of space. I am so happy because I am using rubber stamps that I had written off years ago because I couldn't place them accurately and struggled to use a stamp positioning tool. I am VERY happy with my purchase. To stamp bare rubber stamps I have simply popped a sheet of tac n peel onto some cling vinyl which clings to the lid (the vinyl is actually a very cheap cover designed to protect the screen of an ipad mini).

Last edited by sophiejolly; 05-22-2017 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: add text
Cinnistew, muscrat, wavejumper and 1 others like this post.
Unread 05-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #174
Pearl-ExPert

Have to praise another part of the Stamping Platform- the magnets. I've been reading on the MISTI thread the problems people are having with the magnets jumping together, and people getting blistered fingers from it. Then the difficulty separating them again. The Tonic ones resemble the 'button' batteries for tech products, but here is a shot of how close I can leave them without the jumping together problem, plus, even if they do end up together, they simply slide apart. I'm also finding they hold my cardstock down fine when using photopolymer stamps, another issue people were having.

I also found a way to position your cardstock, if you wanted your stamp to go off the edge of the card, without the MISTI corners. I just used a clear ruler, butted up to the edge of the platform, butted my card up to that, added the magnets, then took away the ruler before stamping. You can still get the same identical placement this way.

Unread 05-22-2017, 06:48 AM   #175
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you Shaz for another Tonic Platform review! You know you are absolutely torturing us here in the US! But keep it up! We've got to keep the faith that we, too, will be able to get our hands on this thing sometime!!
Unread 05-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #176
Pearl-ExPert

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it really does ship in June. X
MSBetsyZ, thebiscuitscraps and dogbyte like this post.
Unread 05-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #177
Die Cut Diva

I just got an email from Art From the Heart in the UK that they have them back in stock and does ship to the U.S., though of course it will cost. The owner says about 10 days shipping though they have no control if it's held in Customs. (I've ordered small items from the UK before and they haven't been held, but that's no guarantee.) So tempted. But I want to support a wonderful LSS plus they give a 40% discount on the most expensive item. Shaz or others, are you familiar AFTH?

Tim Holtz - Stamp Platform by Tonic
Unread 05-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #178
Pearl-ExPert

I've ordered from them in the past, with no problems. They are a well known and respected company over here. It may be worth contacting Tonic, and asking if they have a shipping date yet, as I believe it was supposed to be in June?
maryalena likes this post.
Unread 05-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #179
Die Cut Diva

June is the latest info. I emailed with Ben at AFTH. I'm going to wait - and he encouraged me to support local as well - what a nice guy - but will go with them if it turns out there are continued problems. First world problem, right? : )

And OT, but Shaz, I'm so terribly sorry, saddened and sickened about the terrorist bombing. My heart goes out to the victims and their friends and families, and those of you in the UK.
MSBetsyZ, buggainok, Lola G. and 6 others like this post.
Unread 05-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #180
Die Cut Diva

From Tupelo Designs:

"UPDATE: Tim Holtz – Tonic Craft Stamp Platform

Dear Friends: We have had an update from our distributor that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and they should receive the Tim Holtz – Tonic Craft Stamp Platform by the end of June! We know that many of you have been anxiously waiting for the release of the Tonic Craft Stamp Platform, and we want to keep you up to date. As soon as it arrives, it will be on the top of our list of New items."
maryalena and fifiwesfan like this post.
Unread 05-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #181
Proud Fan Club Member

END of June!

Yes, I know, first-world problem. Still.

This means we won't see our pre-orders until JULY. I ordered this in February!

Wah.

Okay. I'm done. Feel better. Patience is a virtue.
buggainok and jukie like this post.
Unread 05-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #182
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the update! If anyone finds out, I am curious about how the lawsuit turned out.

I design for Just for Fun Rubber stamps.
Unread 05-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #183
SCS RAK Coordinator

I still haven't discovered any information about what the difference between the 1708e and 1707e version is. Has anyone else seen/heard anything?

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Unread 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #184
Proud Fan Club Member

No, and I'd love to know.
Unread 05-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #185
Die Cut Diva

I've heard when you press a button, that you hear Tim's voice giving encouraging messages, like, "For those of you who are CPR stampers... you know who you are..."

Kidding! I haven't heard. I take everything with a grain of salt anyway unless from Tonic's or my LSS's lips saying it's on the way or here. Like in this case the info was from a distributor to the retailer. (Does an LSS have lips?)
dini, charmedvixen and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 05-31-2017, 10:53 PM   #186
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Litigation website

It looks like MISTI lawyers keep updating their claim every 3 or 4 days. That's a good way to delay the shipment of Tonic Studios Platform.

For the same price of the Misti, you can order the Platform from the UK. I have several Misti's and do like them but I am disappointed in this lawsuit. She had the market for 3 years. I believe competition is good to keep prices reasonable.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Paula in GA and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 06-01-2017, 05:45 AM   #187
Stampin' Fool

Default Summary of MISTI vs Tonic/Tim Holtz lawsuit

The "Scrapbook Update" newsletter reported yesterday that My Sweet Petunia, maker of the MISTI, sued Tonic Studios, maker of the Tim Holtz Stamp Platform, for patent infringement. The dates in the article indicate this may qualify as "old news," but a good summary of the details is here:
My Sweet Petunia Sues Tonic over Tim Holtz Stamp Press - Scrapbook Update
howdyheidi and bjeans like this post.
Unread 06-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #188
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlenemcg View Post
It looks like MISTI lawyers keep updating their claim every 3 or 4 days. That's a good way to delay the shipment of Tonic Studios Platform.

For the same price of the Misti, you can order the Platform from the UK. I have several Misti's and do like them but I am disappointed in this lawsuit. She had the market for 3 years. I believe competition is good to keep prices reasonable.
RPX is a patent risk management services company. Their services, including updates, wouldn't affect the patent litigation suit. But maybe you saw something I missed.
Unread 06-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #189
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I didn't read the details

just noticed the updates. I hope you're right and I'll have my Platform soon!

KSStammper likes this post.
Unread 06-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #190
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlenemcg View Post
If anyone is interested in doing an order from the UK, I recently made an order from Craftstash.co.uk and I can't say anything but good things about my experience with them. They had a die-cutting magazine with freebie die-cuts I simply had to have. I placed my order on the evening of 5/25, from New York, and received it mid-day on 5/30. That included a US holiday weekend. They give you 20% off your first order if you sign-up for their newsletter. I wanted to get the Tonic but it was out of stock at that time - and I HAD to have those dies so I blew the 20%. So, if you want to order the Tonic from the UK, I suggest going with them, stalk the Tonic to see when its in stock and sign-up for the 20% off.
TeeGeeDee and bjeans like this post.
Unread 06-01-2017, 11:57 PM   #191
Polyshrink Goddess

I bit the bullet and ordered one from the UK! Very Excited

shazsilverwolf and bjeans like this post.
Unread 06-02-2017, 02:37 AM   #192
Pearl-ExPert

You won't regret it Darlene! It's brilliant. Having used it, it seems to have enough different features from the MISTI for them to not have a problem, so presumably this is just about them trying to stop the Platform actually shipping for as long as possible.
Paula in GA and bjeans like this post.
Unread 06-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #193
Cardstock Collector

I was actually appalled that Tim Holtz came out with his positioner. Why? Because he's copying the work of someone else. The MISTI was developed by the owner of My Sweet Petunia. I have some idea of how very difficult it is to get a product created--ESPECIALLY when you're a lone individual. You've got to dream up the product, then try to create a prototype, then work the bugs out of that prototype, then get an official prototype ready to apply for a patent. Then you've got to get financing to produce the product for sale and market it--knocking on doors, hitting social media, etc. This woman did that! Now it seems that Tim Holtz has pretty much copied her product and is selling it. I just think that's awful. He's got so many products and he's got so many big backers that it just seems a shame that he's taking something away from her.

I hope I haven't offended anyone by my two cents, but I just felt that it was important to put ourselves in her shoes and decide whether it's fair play to purchase Tim Holtz' version of her idea.
Unread 06-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #194
Die Cut Diva

I'm appalled by copying and patent violation too. Heck, I feel badly when someone posts a tutorial or quote without giving credit. And there were real copies of the Misti. Tim's isn't one.

People used the WRMK letterpress as a stamping platform before the Misti. (There's a link to photos of it in the other active thread on this topic.) Good for MSP to create something more workable, meant for stamping. And good for Tim to create something with substantial differences: a flipping lid for different stamp thicknesses, metal hinges, easy grab tab, no size restriction, a robust sturdiness for CPR stampers (me). Maybe more?

Things were done long before the patent was granted that I thought were out of line and frankly, were a turn-off that eroded some loyalty. But if you stick to just the patent issue, these two "positioners" are not identical any more than a VW Bug would be mistaken for a Mini Cooper. What product do we own where we don't have choices? One size does not fit all.

So here's my nuttiness creeping out. We provide canned mealworms in the winter/early spring for birds that don't eat seed - like bluebirds*, Carolina wrens, etc. I was running out of the brand I normally buy so bought another brand. No big deal, right? A mealworm is a mealworm. Except none of the birds would eat them. Even they like their choices.

*Actually bluebirds will eat sunflower chips in the winter; they just can't open seeds.

Beth
Paula in GA, buggainok, cms and 7 others like this post.
Unread 06-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #195
Matboard Maniac

Almost every tool we use from the stamps and dies, to paper trimmers to the manual cutting machines and patterned papers are what I would considered copies of some else's work and yet I don't see anyone complaining.

It happens all the time- someone designs a new product and someone else modifies and improves it. That's life.
Paula in GA, cms, shazsilverwolf and 3 others like this post.
Unread 06-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #196
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
I'm appalled by copying and patent violation too. Heck, I feel badly when someone posts a tutorial or quote without giving credit. And there were real copies of the Misti. Tim's isn't one.

People used the WRMK letterpress as a stamping platform before the Misti. (There's a link to photos of it in the other active thread on this topic.) Good for MSP to create something more workable, meant for stamping. And good for Tim to create something with substantial differences: a flipping lid for different stamp thicknesses, metal hinges, easy grab tab, no size restriction, a robust sturdiness for CPR stampers (me). Maybe more?

Things were done long before the patent was granted that I thought were out of line and frankly, were a turn-off that eroded some loyalty. But if you stick to just the patent issue, these two "positioners" are not identical any more than a VW Bug would be mistaken for a Mini Cooper. What product do we own where we don't have choices? One size does not fit all.

So here's my nuttiness creeping out. We provide canned mealworms in the winter/early spring for birds that don't eat seed - like bluebirds*, Carolina wrens, etc. I was running out of the brand I normally buy so bought another brand. No big deal, right? A mealworm is a mealworm. Except none of the birds would eat them. Even they like their choices.

*Actually bluebirds will eat sunflower chips in the winter; they just can't open seeds.

Beth
Brilliant reply Beth. Love the example.
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 06-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #197
Cardstock Collector

Beth, thank you for your very kind correction/explanation! Normally I check all my facts before stating my opinion. In this case, I was so sure of my thoughts that I didn't check. I will be more careful in the future! And thank you also to the other person that responded, you too are correct.

This is my first time to comment and first time to reply, so I hope I've done it correctly!

Again, thank you!

Barb
MSBetsyZ, buggainok, michelleh1 and 4 others like this post.
Unread 06-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #198
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbF2 View Post
Beth, thank you for your very kind correction/explanation! Normally I check all my facts before stating my opinion. In this case, I was so sure of my thoughts that I didn't check. I will be more careful in the future! And thank you also to the other person that responded, you too are correct.

This is my first time to comment and first time to reply, so I hope I've done it correctly!

Again, thank you!

Barb
Barb, that's very generous of you, so thank you! In fairness to you, I'm not the final word on this situation or a patent expert. Ultimately it's up to the courts, plus people will draw their own conclusions and have their loyalties quite aside from the facts and the law.

Being curious, I did some reading, and talked with my husband, who's an attorney, though not in patent law, and in a field of law where he doesn't sue people or take them to court (yay). ; ) So as they say, the jury is out. I think this will be resolved soon, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

I didn't notice you hadn't posted before - you did great. Stick around and welcome!

Beth
Unread 06-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #199
Die Cut Diva

Here's the link I mentioned that Maryalena posted in the other thread about the platforms and lawsuit. From 2011 - scroll down past the bright orange background to see the comments/pics relating to using the Letterpress platform for stamping:

Letterpress | L Letterpress from Lifestyle Crafts - Scrapbook Update

From the site: "One last experiment I performed with the L Letterpress kit had nothing to do with letterpress at all, but instead shows a hidden talent of this tool. I love it when my tools multitask, and I was thrilled to find that the L Letterpress base when used on its own (without the Epic 6 tool) is a superb stamping platform!

Using the L Letterpress platform for stamping is extremely easy. Simply lay out your clear stamps on the clear top as if it were a giant acrylic block…"

I'm absolutely not implying MSP copied it. She didn't. But *maybe* it was a jumping off point for substantive innovations and changes. As Tim's platform is. Are there any truly new ideas under the sun that don't spring from something? It's 2017, after all, not 1817.

Just my take.
Paula in GA and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 06-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #200
Mad Swapper

Default Have you seen Tim Holtz's stamp positioner

Yesterday I spoke to a LSS owner , I was enquiring about WRMK precision Press for a friend, and was told they too are currently on hold due to Misti suit.

During our conversation she said that if you read the patent she covered herself well, including the fact of it closing like a book, edges to hold paper etc. Seems like she really covered a lot so as A result I think Tonic will have to make more than a few tweaks to satisfy patent approval. She also mentioned that Misti is covered only by a U.S. Patent therefore other countries still can sell it. I am glad I have two Precision Presses, one to use and one for back up.