Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 01-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #41
Polyshrink Goddess

I just ordered the creative corners. Since I am not a scrapper, the Misti mini and the regular are great sizes. The new corners solve the only problem I have which is stamping off the side of a card. I just hope they lock down tight and the card doesn't slip under. The bar magnet that Jennifer McGuire uses is in my future. No Tonic for me because I don't need three stamp positioners, I don't want big and heavy, and the top switching thing just doesn't appeal. I predict they will come out with a card size if this thing flies. Will there be dozens of versions like the Distress thing? Just when I thought surely no more versions of Distress here comes another one at CHA.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 01-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #42
Mad Swapper

I have to say a I love Tonic products, this was first one I did not fall in love with.

We like what works best for our own particular needs. Nice to have the options to choose from isn't it.
Unread 01-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #43
Polyshrink Goddess

I like my Tonic poker tool-works well and sturdy. Everyone I know with the Tonic cutter loves it. Tonic seems to put a lot of thought into what they make. If I had a whole craft room instead of a shared home office space a bigger positioner might be a consideration. One size does it all and a lower price is appealing. Would like to see one in action.
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Unread 02-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #44
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I ordered the MISTI corners too! another great tool!!! I won't stop using my MISTIs once I get the TH one, I will use ALL of them. When I'm making a project I do a lot of stamping on it, I often used all three of my MISTIs and am looking for another one to help! It makes mass producing cards or projects a BREEZE!!!
Unread 02-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #45
Polyshrink Goddess

When you get the TH one give it a test run and tell us how it compare to the MISTI.
binkiemonstermom likes this post.
Unread 04-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #46
Cardstock Collector

Default tonic vs misti

does anyone know if the MISTI corners will work in the Tonic version?
Unread 04-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #47
Proud Fan Club Member

Here's a video about it. It's open on the "bottom" and one side (although if you orient it differently you could change that) and the platform is magnetic:

So, the answer to your question, based on what I know of creative corners, is that you could. Depending on how you use them. It doesn't look like there is a grid on the platform itself, so if you use a grid to stagger your stamping, it might not be easy.

I confess I have a MISTI, but not the Creative Corners, so I am postulating. Someone who has them will know better.
Unread 04-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #48
Inking Addict

Another vote for the Tonic stamp platform. I preordered one from A Cherry On Top, but must wait till May due to a legal challenge by MSP. I own a regular MISTI (broke down after making my own version, and after being perturbed by the owner's threats to DIY crafters). Due to concerns with the MISTI's finicky materials and exorbitant cost, I also purchased the Hampton Arts StampPerfect from Michaels, as a backup and for travel. My only issue with the StampPerfect was that I couldn't stamp large 6x6 or IO background stamps and that it squeaked (before I added cooking spray to the hinges). I support small, US based and women owned businesses, but to be fair, the MISTI is made in China (though the price does not reflect it) and the Tonic version is an improvement, as far as I can tell, in almost every way.

My gripe with the MISTI, aside from price and finicky material, is that it is suited more for clear stamps, and not deep etch red rubber on cling, my choice of stamp (even when removing the foam insert). When I am stamping a background stamp in the MISTI, I worry that it won't hold up... and who wants a craft tool you have to baby? The Tonic version seems to be made for the red rubber purists like me, can handle large backgrounds, allows for any size paper (or cards unfolded) and looks like it will last, even if it falls. That sold me on it. I just hope Tonic is successful, so that I can get mine soon.

I own two Tonic cutters, Tim Holtz/Tonic kush-grip scissors, Tonic spring scissors and am happy with all. I don't love the grey color (wish it was white or cream), nor the orange color on the trimmers, but I love Tonic products. They are well made. I have had my trimmers for over 7 years and they are still going strong. I might need to replace soon, but I will replace with the same Tonic trimmer.

I also own a large and small Fiskars stamp press, various size acrylic blocks, a clear L-shaped acrylic stamp positioner from PSX (nostalgia) and a stamp-a-ma-jig. Do I need all of them? Probably not... but I keep them as they still serve a purpose from time to time.

My two cents...
cbet and Cinnistew like this post.
Unread 04-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

I'm another with a TH Platform on pre-order, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that between them they have made sure there are enough differences that it will not be seen as a Patents infringement.
Whilst I applaud her drive in developing a new product, I don't applaud the hefty price tag, especially over here in the UK. When you consider they are being made in China- not known for its high labour costs, or high standard of materials/workmanship, I feel it's priced way too high. Tims/Tonics is far more reasonably priced for my pocket.
cbet and TeeGeeDee like this post.
Unread 04-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #50
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm hoping it gets past the patent thing also.

One of the features I was attracted to was the "flip top" for rubber or clear. I find messing with that black pad (and not losing it under piles of stuff) to be a downside of the MISTI. I also don't like having to remove the magnets every time I take the pad out or put it back in. You have to put them down somewhere, and not close enough to each other so that they smash together.
TeeGeeDee, Brenda71 and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 04-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #51
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree that the price was pretty high especially after she started manufacturing in China. I also applaud her success. The MISTI has made my card making much easier on a daily basis. I am no longer tossing badly inked images, constantly hunting for better inks, and sweating my crooked sentiments. I don't feel I have much need for a third stamp positioner but I'll reserve judgement on the Tonic. I do like to support small women in this industry and I am glad she has an opportunity to go through the patent process whatever the determination is.
fl_beachbum, whim6915 and jkaymac like this post.
Unread 04-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #52
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Yahoo to MannaKnight
Default Where it's made

Hello all,

I know this is old and I'm late, but I wanted to comment on the many comments about not buying from China. While I applaud your efforts (I also try to do this whenever possible) I have to tell you what I learned.

When a product states that it was made somewhere other than China it can and often does mean that it was assembled in that place (e.g. Taiwan, Canada, United States...etc), but the parts were still made in China.

I have not purchased a positioning tool yet, unless you count the one with the foam feet by Fiskars, which I really haven't used, or the Stampin' Up! Stamp-a-majig. I was going to make my own, but after purchasing all of the parts I didn't do it. I looked at the MISTI which I thought was ridiculously priced, the We R Memory Keepers tool which I really thought I would like, and then I saw Tim Holtz tool. Now I cannot decide between the latter two. Price wise, We R Memory Keepers wins, but there are a few things about Tim Holtz' tool that I thought were good ideas (e.g. there are not a lot of different pieces to keep track of because the lid is reversed for stamp thickness, and that it looks pretty sturdy for those who may be CPR stampers [ meaning you do "chest compressions" on the platform to insure you have a good image hahaha!]

I also wish to purchase a tool for my MIL because she lost the use of her right hand and will only be able to stamp with her left hand (not her dominant hand) when she stamps. Decisions decisions! I feel like Monk! ahahah!
buggainok and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 04-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #53
Matboard Maniac

The WRMK Precision Press has been discontinued due to patent/infringement issues. Now I know why I got mine for $10.
Unread 04-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #54
Proud Fan Club Member

The WRMK is/was very MISTI-like.

Don't know what to say about the Tonic. Its lack of attached hinges and open sides? Will that actually be enough? Stay tuned.
Unread 04-15-2017, 04:01 AM   #55
Pearl-ExPert

I'm hoping the differences are enough, and to be honest, I'd be surprised if Tim Holtz wasn't savvy enough to make sure they'd be in the clear, so I'd guess the design has been run past patent lawyers already. After all, when did you ever see a blatant copy of any TH product? No, me either. So he/the companies he works with, clearly know what they are doing. Fingers crossed ladies.
Brenda71 and craftycrunchymama like this post.
Unread 04-15-2017, 04:28 AM   #56
Proud Fan Club Member

Excellent point.
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Unread 04-15-2017, 06:24 AM   #57
Die Cut Diva

Exactly. Plus differences: hinging - removable top - flip for clear or rubber, no foam mat, shape, open at sides, encased grid, possibly sturdier, maybe more.

Everyone was named in the lawsuit with a stamp platform type tool, whether it was a close copy or not at all. Irritating but typical.

I apologize for repeating, but for those who haven't seen it in another Stamping Platform thread, Tupelo Designs emailed the following message from Tonic.

--------------------

A Special Message from Tonic Studios

Please note that this will impact our shipments of the Tim Holtz Stamping Platform to our customers, as Tonic Studios USA is the supplier of this product. We will post updates as we receive them. Dan @ TupeloDesignsLLC.com]
Tonic is very excited to launch the new Tim Holtz Stamping platform; however, we need to inform you of a delay in the launch of this product. As you may be aware My Sweet Petunia (MSP) have been granted a patent on their MISTI Stamping Platform.

While we do not consider our Tim Holtz Tonic Studios Stamp Platform to be an infringement of this patent and its claims, we do not want to expose our customers to any legal action from MSP in the event that they sell our product. The ongoing protection and sustainability of the Tonic brand and our products are paramount to our ongoing relationship with all our retail partners.
Our attorneys are working on this case and we expect to have a resolution within the next 4 weeks. We apologize for this inconvenience but we fully expect to be able to ship to you within the next 6 - 8 weeks.

We will be giving updates as we work with all parties to resolve this matter and hope to give you more information soon.

We appreciate your understanding and patience in this matter.
Tonic Studios USA

Last edited by bjeans; 04-15-2017 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Dup info and computer problems - sorry!
Unread 04-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #58
Mad Swapper

Default Have you seen Tim Holtz Stamp positioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketdiva View Post
The WRMK Precision Press has been discontinued due to patent/infringement issues. Now I know why I got mine for $10.
Can you tell me where you got this info. As far as I have read only the Hampton product at Michael's had been removed. thanks
Unread 04-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #59
Proud Fan Club Member

You know, I am seeing the WRMK on Amazon (for $40).

Maybe vendors are selling off what stock they have, and I know nothing about patent law, but if something is pulled because of patent infringement, it doesn't make sense to me that you would still be able to sell it, even if you still had stock in your warehouse.

?
Unread 04-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #60
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks to bjeans for that update, I did wonder how long it may be on hold for.
Canada Goose, I saw a blog post from the Sweet petunia site a few days ago, when she was awarded the patent, saying that two companies had removed theirs from sale, but she didn't say who they were.
Just did a Google UK search, and the WRMK one is still on sale from a number of sites over here. I notice that WRMK are saying it was inspired by their Letterpress platform, which, if they are claiming an upgrade to a product they already marketed, may be why it's still on sale. Don't know how the patent could affect that?

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 04-15-2017 at 09:27 AM..
Unread 04-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #61
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
You know, I am seeing the WRMK on Amazon (for $40).

Maybe vendors are selling off what stock they have, and I know nothing about patent law, but if something is pulled because of patent infringement, it doesn't make sense to me that you would still be able to sell it, even if you still had stock in your warehouse.

?
It just depends on the terms of the settlement (since most cases rarely go to trial) or the judgment (if it does go to trial).
Unread 04-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #62
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Thanks to bjeans for that update, I did wonder how long it may be on hold for.
Canada Goose, I saw a blog post from the Sweet petunia site a few days ago, when she was awarded the patent, saying that two companies had removed theirs from sale, but she didn't say who they were.
Just did a Google UK search, and the WRMK one is still on sale from a number of sites over here. I notice that WRMK are saying it was inspired by their Letterpress platform, which, if they are claiming an upgrade to a product they already marketed, may be why it's still on sale. Don't know how the patent could affect that?
I've been wondering how their Letterpress fits in too.

Re UK sales, I don't know if a company in the U.S. would have to also file for a patent in the UK (or other countries), or whether there'd be a reciprocal agreement with certain other countries through the WPO. Oh well, just mulling.

BTW, interesting timing of some good Misti sales right now. : )
Unread 04-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #63
Mad Swapper

Default Have you seen Tim Holtz positioner

The only product that is a copy of Misti is the Hampton as far as I could see.
Both Tonic and WRMK are not Johnny Come Lately to the stamp world. From some personal knowledge you only gave to make some small difference to market a product that is not considered a copy. The fact that with WRMK you are not restricted to size of paper, don't need magnets, Do not have to switch to rubber mat depending on clear or cling stamp is significant. Tonic as well has a number of different features. Both reputable companies which I would think know about patent infringement as they make a number if their own products.

Time will tell, but I would think both will prevail.
Unread 04-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #64
Pearl-ExPert

Have to agree with you Canada Goose. I can't imagine for one minute either company has put all the money into these products that they have, with their eyes closed. As I said, I'd be surprised if they haven't run the products past their own lawyers first.
TeeGeeDee likes this post.
Unread 04-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #65
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
I'm hoping the differences are enough, and to be honest, I'd be surprised if Tim Holtz wasn't savvy enough to make sure they'd be in the clear, so I'd guess the design has been run past patent lawyers already. After all, when did you ever see a blatant copy of any TH product? No, me either. So he/the companies he works with, clearly know what they are doing. Fingers crossed ladies.
On TH's Facebook, maybe a year ago, someone asked him about seeing just one of the Crazy Birds for sale in France. TH said that he licensed the image from someone and it was a shame that the image was being ripped off from the artist.

I remember because I was surprised they weren't actually his drawings (I was so naive back then, lol).

I have one of the defective MISTIs and noticed the cracks way after the short warranty. That thing was treated like a baby, too. While the MISTI is still usable at the moment I was looking forward to spending my money on the Tonic. I will think positively!
shazsilverwolf and bjeans like this post.
Unread 04-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #66
Polyshrink Goddess

Today on Simon Says Stamp there is a notice that the manufacturer Tonic has made some improvements to the original tool that have delayed the shipping date. The revised date is now June. Wonder if the patent situation has forced them to make some alterations. It is now being called The 1707E.
Cinnistew and bjeans like this post.
Unread 04-16-2017, 04:36 AM   #67
Die Cut Diva

Interesting, thanks, maryalena. If accurate sounds like they're adding "it's different" insurance. (1707E is part of the SSS numbering system for all of the products they sell.)
Unread 04-16-2017, 05:42 AM   #68
Pearl-ExPert

fifiwesfan, you've just educated me! I had no idea the drawings weren't Tims/Marios- I believe he did the Blueprint designs-I'd assumed they were Tims. But then again, I remember seeing something recently about a number of the Stampers Anonymous/Tim Holtz plates being released- were they called Classics, or something similar?- and the images were actually the work of a number of other artists, but the branding gave the impression they were Tims.
Unread 04-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #69
Proud Fan Club Member

Tim has very often said that he is not an artist. His genuis is in ideas and concepts. None of his stamps were drawn by him, as far as I know.
Brenda71 and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 04-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #70
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is a new link to the tonic positioner being used. She says the magnets are etched in such a way that they do not stick together if kept the right way up. Interesting.
Hero Arts | Color Layering Poppies Thank You Card + Tonic Stamp Platform Tool | | Yana Smakula
Cinnistew likes this post.
Unread 04-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #71
Matboard Maniac

Breaking NewsOne hour ago I received an email from Funkie Junkie Boutique stating that my Tim Holtz/Tonic Stamping Platform had shipped!
They had refunded my order money a week ago with the understanding that I wished to remain on the order list.
Can this be? Dare I hope?

Last edited by loyce; 04-17-2017 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Poor punctuation
Unread 04-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #72
Die Cut Diva

It sounds like a mistake, maybe system glitch? You might want to contact them. Their website is saying June, like others do. Let us know!
Unread 04-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #73
Proud Fan Club Member

Can't be right. Website says June. You were refunded. Why would they ship it if you had not paid for it?

Even the Tonic website ways "Out of Stock" and offers to put you on a waitlist. No longer offering pre-orders. As does Simon Says Stamp, which is offering to notify when available.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 04-17-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Unread 04-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #74
Matboard Maniac

Bjeans, I think you just burst my bubble. I have not yet called them but see no action in my bank or paypal accounts to reflect any change in status. I'll keep you posted.
Unread 04-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #75
Polyshrink Goddess

Seems odd. A patent infringement document directly naming Tonic Studios was filed on 2.3.17 in Delaware. There is a picture of the brown Misti that was custom made for TH because he had allegedly stated that he didn't care for pink. I don't think this is anywhere near settled since Simon Says Stamp says there is a model with improvements shipping in June. You can access the patent infringement document online.
Unread 04-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #76
Matboard Maniac

Just got a tiny "order status" note stating that Tonic Platform is B/O but that the rest of the order has shipped. I guess B/O here means back ordered. Bummer. I was so excited.
Unread 04-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #77
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalena View Post
Seems odd. A patent infringement document directly naming Tonic Studios was filed on 2.3.17 in Delaware. There is a picture of the brown Misti that was custom made for TH because he had allegedly stated that he didn't care for pink. I don't think this is anywhere near settled since Simon Says Stamp says there is a model with improvements shipping in June. You can access the patent infringement document online.
Interesting that she wants a jury trial.
Unread 04-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #78
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiwesfan View Post
Interesting that she wants a jury trial.
A judge decides matters of law, and a jury matters of fact. Sometimes there's an agreement to have a judge instead of a jury.

But a plaintiff may request a jury if it's believed a jury would be more sympathetic - like if it's a tiny business going up a huge business. A judge would be less likely to be swayed by emotion than a jury would.

This case bothers me because MSP is trying to limit consumer choices, which generally means higher prices than if there was competition. (I don't think it's a coincidence that some special Misti sales have been announced - up to 40% off in one case for three days.)

So what if TH had a brown Misti. He could have easily purchased one. We see variations in virtually every product we buy. Someone wanting to improve an already existing product is what can spur innovation and bring new items and lower prices to the marketplace.

Off my soapbox. Just my take.
cbet, Paula in GA, Brenda71 and 6 others like this post.
Unread 04-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #79
Matboard Maniac

Bjeans, that is me, waving to you on your soapbox. Bravo!
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 04-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #80
Proud Fan Club Member

I see that this was only filed on April 3. I think we are looking at a longer delay than early June on this, if Tonic prevails.