Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default For a girl who can't sew but...

really wants to learn to make those adorable rag bags for Christmas gifts, what sewing machine would you recommend??? Do I need a full sized one, or could I get away with the Janome Sew mini??? I would like to mention that I am "sewing challenged". Never had home economics to learn, lol.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Glitter Queen

where are these adorable rag bags?!!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

rag bag - Homemade Cards, Rubber Stamp Art, & Paper Crafts - Splitcoaststampers.com

Old 08-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

I would take the plunge and get a regular full size machine. You can get a good one at Joanns for less than $200.00. Don't forget to check your local Craigslist, you can usually get some pretty good deals. Also, sometimes a local sewing machine shop will have some older model machines that have been traded in that will go pretty cheap too. My first machine came from WalMart for $79 and it sewed like a $79 machine. Remember, with sewing machines you get what you pay for! Good luck with your decision!!

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
I would take the plunge and get a regular full size machine. You can get a good one at Joanns for less than $200.00. Don't forget to check your local Craigslist, you can usually get some pretty good deals. Also, sometimes a local sewing machine shop will have some older model machines that have been traded in that will go pretty cheap too. My first machine came from WalMart for $79 and it sewed like a $79 machine. Remember, with sewing machines you get what you pay for! Good luck with your decision!!
ITA and was going to say nearly the same thing. Our craigslist almost always has sewing machines, which you can buy cheaply and then to a local shop for a look-over or tuneup. My first machine was also a low-end Walmart special and constantly gave me headaches, so a decent machine is worth a little more money IMO.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

thanks!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #7
Compulsive Stamper

I just made my first bag! I have a sewing machine but it typically stays packed away because I don't have a good relationship with it. You can see it on my blog. You can also find my page on facebook. addicted2stamps

There is a fantastic step by step video on youtube.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
Glitter Guru

I have the step up from the sew mini from Janome. Now, it is not my fav brand but it is lighter for travel. I am a Bernina girl since 1970. The one just above the sew mini I got on sale at Hancocks for $79 and it makes a great stitch. And it is very light for traveling!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlewerView Post
I just made my first bag! I have a sewing machine but it typically stays packed away because I don't have a good relationship with it. You can see it on my blog. You can also find my page on facebook. addicted2stamps

So pretty! Love the colors and the butterflies.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlewerView Post

VERY NICE!

Apparently my hubby's Aunt had a high end top of the line sewing machine that we put in storage after she had a stroke a few years ago. I'm gonna dig it out and see what shape it's in! Hopefully it works. She loved to sew and was always doing some kind of project. She passed away 2 months ago and I think she'd be thrilled if I was using it. I can't believe I forgot about it!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

I purchased a nice Kenmore for $79.99 at Sears. I have had it for a couple years and it is more than adequate for my needs.
blessings.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickers089View Post
VERY NICE!

Apparently my hubby's Aunt had a high end top of the line sewing machine that we put in storage after she had a stroke a few years ago. I'm gonna dig it out and see what shape it's in! Hopefully it works. She loved to sew and was always doing some kind of project. She passed away 2 months ago and I think she'd be thrilled if I was using it. I can't believe I forgot about it!
Great!

If it's been in storage for a while, you might want to take it in for a tuneup and look over at a sewing machine shop. It might need lubrication, adjustments, etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
Die Cut Diva

Don't forget Freecycle and then take your machine to a shop for the tune up. Also try your thrift stores and garage sales. Take a piece of scrap fabric so you can test the machine.

DH & I are both sewists. We have five machines that we use. DH has a treadle and his every day machine. He is looking for a heavy duty machine. I have an emboridery machine that does everything under the sun. We share a serger. My go to machine for quick projects is my Janome Sew Mini. I just love her to pieces. I got it as a mending machine but I have used her for everything. The only thing I don't like it doesn't have a light on it.

Sewing machines I would recommend are Bernina, Brother, Janome, Pfaff & Juki. Juki is Japanese but that machine will never fall apart on you. Bernina is the best American machine out.

Machine's to stay away from are the Singers from late 1980's on up. For a beginner it is more headache than it's worth. Singer changed all their parts and went with plastic. This is the best advice I ever gotten from a sewist.

HTH!