Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gina K. Designs Pure Luxury Card Stock

Hi Guys! I've read a lot of threads regarding white card stock and Copic markers. Gina K. Designs Pure Luxury card stock has been mentioned a million times with lots of questions about it.

I'd like to give you the low done, straight from the horses mouth.

Our card stock comes in two weights- 80lb and 120lb. It's an ultrasmooth card stock and has the feeling of a coated card stock. After sending some to Marianne over at Copic, she had mentioned that our card stock was very similar to the type that Manga artists love to use with Copics! Manga is a style of cartooning- think 'Pokemon.'

Manga artists LOVE Copics and use them all the time on this type of card stock.

One of the things you will find is that the Copics don't absorb as quickly in this card stock so it gives you a little more play when blending. This allows the colors to blend easily without bleeding due to less absorbtion and it helps you use less ink which makes your markers last longer.

You will find that if you want to make a single layer card using copics, you now can with our 120lb with no bleed through. And, our 120lb card stock is truly the heaviest available that will still fold nicely without cracking as long as you use some sort of scoring device first. (I use the Scor-pal to fold mine and it has worked very well.) Otherwise, it's too thick to fold on it's own.

When using copics on our card stock, you will get very vibrant color as in the example below.

I colored this on the pure luxury, using copics and black memento ink. As you can see, the image is extremely crisp with no bleeding but remains vibrant.

As far as weight is concerned, both weights work the same way with copics however 80lb will bleed through and 120lb will not due to the thickness. But the results will be identical as far as the look and feel of the coloring.

Because of this smooth texture, it makes an excellent choice for prismacolor pencils with gamsol or OMS and water based applications like Stampin' Up's markers as well.

I hope this information helped you learn more about our new card stock. As a member company here, we are always available to help you with techniques, tutorials and more in our member company forum here at Splitcoast.

Have a great day!
Hugs,
Gina K.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information Gina. I placed an order for the first time from you this morning for the 120lb CS and a couple of other things. I can't wait to use the goodies that I ordered, I also want to thank you for giving Canadian's a break and giving us a flat shipping rate on orders over $35, it helps out when you are buying CS which can weigh alot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

Yep, that's what she told me when I called yesterday to change my order to 80 lb. weight. So I got one of each to try them both out!!! I am super, super excited. Thank you Gina for your excellent customer service!!

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just got my shipping confirmation and now am even MORE excited to get my hands on these. Thank you so much to you and Marianne for the info. I think this is what I've been looking for. I've invested a lot into my Copic markers and just haven't found that cs that blends as smoothly as I would like it to. I just wish I ordered more!!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I tried it last night and it bled for me (outside the stamped lines). :( Maybe my markers are too juicy or something. Anyway I started over and managed to do it a different way (colored w/ the light and then used the light to pick up color from the darker marker and do the shading area). I still don't have my t&t method yet so maybe this will be it.
Gale,
I think one of the main things to think about when working with this card stock is this. Because the paper doesn't absorb the ink as much as other papers, you need less ink.

In the beginning, we were taught to lay down tons of color. But now, based on using this card stock, you will need way less ink to get even coverage and vibrant color. Since the card stock isn't absorbing as much, it will have nowhere to go but outside of the lines if you use too much. For more absorbant card stocks you need to lay tons more color down.

Even when coloring the smallest area like the heart on the cat's tag, you can prevent bleeding by only using a dab of color vs. laying down a ton.

Now, in the case where you are pulling color off like in this example, I just dabbed my colorless blender all over the bird to give it texture and because the color is more on top of the card stock, I needed much less blender to achieve my desired effect.

You can see that even when you don't lay down a lot of color, you will still get that smooth, solid color that Copics are known for as seen here in the jacket and boots of the child.

I think once you get the feel for it, you will see the end of the bleeding problem.

I hope that

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This cardstock rocks!!!

It makes blending with Copics SO easy and I have not had any bleeding. I emboss my images before coloring and that also helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I understand all that but I tried to use as little as possible yet blend with 3 colors (light, med and dark). I guess I would have to blend less and settle for the colors being more plain. I'll try to scan the sample I did and maybe you can tell if that was my problem. It looks bad though because it was my test sample. lol.
I would love to see your sample. But you don't have to settle for colors being plain at all. I am 100% confident that you can do this. No matter what tools you use, there will be a bit of a learning curve.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I have both the 80 lb and the 120 and love them both!!! They work fantastic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:21 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was just wondering how the pure luxury CS does with the intricate photo stamps? I do not use Copics, so I am not too interested in those. I have a lot of really detailed photo stamps. When I stamp on the GP white CS from Walmart, I lose a lot of detail, I cannot see the fine dots.Also, I can see the paper texture when I stamp using the photo stamps (Almost looks crackly). Could someone who has this paper do a trial for me with a detailed photo stamp and see how it comes out? I am looking for the perfect CS for the photo stamps. Or if anyone has another suggestion??? Glossy is almost too slick, plus I like to color with chalks and pencils with gamsol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadiebirdView Post
I was just wondering how the pure luxury CS does with the intricate photo stamps? I do not use Copics, so I am not too interested in those. I have a lot of really detailed photo stamps. When I stamp on the GP white CS from Walmart, I lose a lot of detail, I cannot see the fine dots.Also, I can see the paper texture when I stamp using the photo stamps (Almost looks crackly). Could someone who has this paper do a trial for me with a detailed photo stamp and see how it comes out? I am looking for the perfect CS for the photo stamps. Or if anyone has another suggestion??? Glossy is almost too slick, plus I like to color with chalks and pencils with gamsol.
I would try it for that. I can assure you that the smoothness is smoother than almost every other card stock. It almost feels like silk. You can get great details on this card stock because of that. If you can get the detail you are looking for on this card stock, I can't imagine what else would work. that's how smooth it is.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Here is the sample:

The bottom right petal is the one that bled the most. (the others I just colored sloppy because by this time I had already messed up the image and was just testing methods). What I did was color the lightest on the whole image, then colored the dark just in a line around the edge and then the medium just inside the dark but with a thicker line. Then I went over it again with the light to blend it all together. As I did this it seemed to push the color from the dark/medium over the line. My final method wasn't done on this flower but it only used the medium and the dark. After I did the flower on my card I tried it with the light and the dark and I think I liked it better but I didn't want to redo it again. The colors are R30, R32 and R35 I think.

btw I went over the line on one of the other flowers I stamped and had no luck cleaning it up with the blender. But I know reds are harder to clean up.
It's so hard to tell from a photo but again, when a card stock doesn't absorb as much ink, it will flow a bit. Maybe if you tried not coloring on the black line but rather stayed a little inside and let the ink move on it's own, you wouldn't get the bleeding.

Melanie Muenchinger has a nice tutorial where she colors a monkey on Pure Luxury. Her photos are great so I'll post the link if you'd like to take a look. Some of her advice may be helpful- Gatefold Monkey Card

Gale, don't give up! Your coloring is really on the right track. Like any other technique, when you try new tools, there is a learning curve. I'm still trying to figure out my watercolors!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:00 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The only other suggestion I have seen with these stamps was by Stampinkub who put it the stamp in his Sissix and the equal pressure made the stamped image much clearer in his results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I just tried a Kinkade stamp since I don't have any photo stamps. They're pretty detailed, so I thought a picture would answer your question. I used Memento ink.

and a close up:

I think it stamped beautifully!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I also think copics take a lot of practice; I'm should get my order for
80 lb. and 120 lb in a few days, can't wait, thanks for tips, Gina

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
I just tried a Kinkade stamp since I don't have any photo stamps. They're pretty detailed, so I thought a picture would answer your question. I used Memento ink.

and a close up:

I think it stamped beautifully!
Wow, CHF makes beautiful stamps. And the detail in that stamp would require a very smooth surface, I see what you guys mean. That really came out nice. Thanks for sharing those great pictures.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I got my order from Gina K designs and her cardstock is unbelievable;
copics glide over it very nicely, and it doesn't absorb the ink. The stamped object is clearer on the cardstock and stands out more; a satisfied customer
with fast service

friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I'm not a copic user, but I am a watercolorist. Of course a lot of the questions are the same when it comes to absorb and bleed. I'm thinking my next Gina K order is going to include cardstock! Thanks Gina!

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Perfect timing on this thread, was just going to email you. I just finished coloring an image on the 120 cardstock - love the paper. I was wondering if there's a preference re: ink choices? I used Brilliance (black) and initially got a little bit of bleeding within body of image (that I was able to fix pretty much with blender pen). Perhaps I didnt wait long enough or is Memento the ink of choice with this paper? Of note, after the initial prob it didnt seem to happen again. Also (not sure if this would be paper specific, prob more technique)... what's best in getting into the tiniest of spaces? I just barely touched the tip to the spot and used the blender pen but suspect there's a better way. Given that the paper doesnt absorb as fast was curious if you have any suggestions? Thanks for the thread!

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I used waterproof ink on my image. I haven't done watercoloring or blendiing, except on watercolor paper.
When I have watercolor or blended before, I used a thin line paint brush, and brush some color onto the paint brush to use in small areas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazedView Post
Perfect timing on this thread, was just going to email you. I just finished coloring an image on the 120 cardstock - love the paper. I was wondering if there's a preference re: ink choices? I used Brilliance (black) and initially got a little bit of bleeding within body of image (that I was able to fix pretty much with blender pen). Perhaps I didnt wait long enough or is Memento the ink of choice with this paper? Of note, after the initial prob it didnt seem to happen again. Also (not sure if this would be paper specific, prob more technique)... what's best in getting into the tiniest of spaces? I just barely touched the tip to the spot and used the blender pen but suspect there's a better way. Given that the paper doesnt absorb as fast was curious if you have any suggestions? Thanks for the thread!

Leigh

friends fat"

Last edited by stampencamper; 01-16-2009 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I bought this cardstock and it is FABULOUS!! It will be the only white cardstock I will use from now on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I recently received a package of both weights from Gina. I haven't stamped on it yet (bad stamper!), but I can't wait to use the 120# for a card base. It has the most rich and luxurious feel to it, like the smooth high-grade paper professional printers use. It's just yummy to touch!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

You're killing me!!! I'm still waiting for my 80 & 120 to get here! I'm getting more anxious...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Gina.... if you come back and read this, how far are you from Waukesha? My son has a vball tourney up that way and we are staying in Waukesha, the first weekend in Feb. I'd love to come by the store, but I have a feeling it'll be too far!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
Gina.... if you come back and read this, how far are you from Waukesha? My son has a vball tourney up that way and we are staying in Waukesha, the first weekend in Feb. I'd love to come by the store, but I have a feeling it'll be too far!

Cindy
It's never too far to drive to Gina's store! :p Waukesha is about 64 miles east of McFarland (where her store is) so it's about a 1 hour and 10 min. drive according to google maps.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post

Cindy
Hi Cindy,
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I was away again this weekend at swim meets with my kids! (I have the worst case of bleacher butt!)

Anyway, like Kurtis said, we are about 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours away from Waukesha, however, we are only open on certain Saturdays. We haven't done our class schedule for Feb. yet so I don't know if we'll be open that first weekend of Feb. The best thing to do is to call the store at 608-579-1026 before you come to see if we are open. (With the weather we've been having, ocassionally a class will get canceled so it's always best to call first.)

Hope that helps.
Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I have to say that I have GinaK's 120 luxury cs and I love it! It is so sturdy and smooth.....
I used it as a card base yesterday and it's not flimsy like the su cardstock (which I still use for other things) and it's wonderful for coloring with copics

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

My 2 cents:

I've posted on another thread about my first order ever with Gina K. Design's and got the Pure Luxury cs. I love this cs and will be placing another order for it. I'm a Copic-holic and have struggled to find the perfect cs. Though I may never find the "perfect" cs, I am most happy with Gina K's and use both the 80lb (coloring) and 120lb (card base). I've tested all 3 cs (SU!, PTI, & Gina K's) and after the 2nd & 3rd layer of coloring with my Copics, I'm most happy with the Pure Luxury. Even with the smooth coat, it blends very well and the backs of all 3 cs proved that this Pure Luxury cs is most satisfying and economical for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just got mine on Saturday, and I can't believe how smooth it is! I plan to use it for my detailed photo stamps. I do not use Copics, but I will use it with my Prismacolors and OMS. BTW, since I live in Milwaukee, I ordered on Friday, and it came on Saturday. How is that for service?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I just got mine on Saturday, and I can't believe how smooth it is! I plan to use it for my detailed photo stamps. I do not use Copics, but I will use it with my Prismacolors and OMS. BTW, since I live in Milwaukee, I ordered on Friday, and it came on Saturday. How is that for service?
Did Jessica or Shelly drive it over and then head to the Mayfair mall again?
Hee-hee... glad it arrived so quickly!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Default GinaK paper

I received a package of GinaK paper last week. I could not believe the wonderful quality of the paper. It has a very nice hand to it as they say in the paper world. I stamped and colored on both papers--Both with wonderful results. I used the Hybrid Palette inks --my favorite choice for images that I will color with any inks...no bleed. I colored a small bird image and really loaded the paper with as much ink as possible--it did come thru the back on the 80 ilb...BUT NOT on the the front of the card. I was totally amazed. I will do more testing in the Copic Class here in Pensacola on Feb 23...but as of not...this is certainly a paper I would recommend--that's saying a lot coming from me...LOL
FLLC (Flourishes) gallery
Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't tried the Hybrid Palette and I think I'll get one and try it out. I use Memento and Brilliance and they're working out great, but it's always nice to have options. It's even better that it doesn't bleed. I take it you don't need to heat set it? Because I love using Memento for that reason. It dries quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by furaView Post
I haven't tried the Hybrid Palette and I think I'll get one and try it out. I use Memento and Brilliance and they're working out great, but it's always nice to have options. It's even better that it doesn't bleed. I take it you don't need to heat set it? Because I love using Memento for that reason. It dries quickly.
No heat setting needed with the hybrid inks. I love them! They even work on fabrics...I think Emily Giovanni did that as well as Alli Miles.

ETA: I found Emily's project with hybrid inks:
http://emilygiovanni.com/?p=2447

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by furaView Post
I personally have not had as good of a result with the Palette ink as compared to the Memento Ink. When I went for my Copic Certification class, Marianne from Copic recommended Memento. I had never tried it but once I did, I was sold and will never use anything else with my Copics. Just my 2 cents. Other opinions may vary. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Oh, was she talking about using with Copics? I was just speaking of hybrid inks in general use. With Copics, it's Memento all the way!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yeah, sorry I should've been more clear. YIKES! I will stick with my Memento ink pads. I love them so much anyway. I hope they didn't hear me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wish there would be a few other colors in it. Specifically cream and black. Or at least cream. Many times I like to stamp on cream rather than white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would like to see a cream color as well. Actually, I would love to see it in all colors. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

After reading all these posts, I am going to have to order some CS from Gina K! It sounds like amazing cardstock!

Thanks Gina for how willing you are to help us out with info and everything. That's great customer service!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I wish there would be a few other colors in it. Specifically cream and black. Or at least cream. Many times I like to stamp on cream rather than white.
We would like to see that too. Wisconsin really is the paper state, (and you thought it was the cheese state. LOL) We have been discussing some ideas with our manufacturer about getting this exact card stock in cream and black. It's not something that will happen overnight but we are working on it. In the meantime, if you really need cream but love the smoothness of Pure Luxury, you may want to try softening the color with a sponge and some cream or off white ink or even a brayer. I agree. It would be nice to have it in all the colors!

Reply With Quote Likes