Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2019, 01:17 AM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Gemini cutting machine shim warning

It has been clarified that Crafters companion have been instructed by Trading Standards Uk to stop supplying the metal shim currently packaged in the box with the machine due to safety issues. Crafters companaion admitted that due to costs the metal sharp burrs on the edge of the shims were not machined off to a safe level. This is why when you watch Sara and her presenters with the metal shim they have tape around the edges, not acceptable according to Uk Trading standards and this will have to be improved as per the priority authorisation put in place. many Uk customers have reported to having to have stitches due to injuries from these shims, so please be aware.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-20-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

Yep. I sliced my finger on that the first time I used it. I thought it was just me being careless. Thanks for the warning and info.
girlarty and Bubbles56 like this post.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
Cardstock Collector

Have to wonder if companies like this really care at all about their customers. The Gemini was being shown on Create and Craft Uk last night and whilst I didn’t see the full show I didn’t hear any warning about being careful with the shim, no mention that if we already have one that we should tape the edges and the metal shim was being sold as part of the package!

Seems that Crafters Companion are having nothing but problems at the moment. They had the huge issue of it coming to light that Sheena Douglass does not hand draw all of her images as she claimed and that over many years she stole copyrighted images from the Internet and digitally converted them into images to use as stamps. Then if I remember rightly, another of their designers used a copyrighted image as a stamp and apparently forgot to apply for a licence from the owner of the image.

The Uk craft industry is a right mess right now and so many crafters are no longer enjoying their hobby anymore, because they are fed up of the lies and being sold products that actually are not what they say they are. I mean who wants to use a stamp of a murdered man on a card? Yes seriously a photo of a man who was brutally murdered was taken without permission and turned into a rubber stamp! There is a YouTube channel that has a few videos about some of the carrying ons.

Now we have Create and Craft publishing word searches in their club magazine that has rude words in it and what would appear to be nasty digs at one of the owners of their rival tv channel Hochanda. It hasn’t even made the pages of one of the daily tabloid papers, The Daily Mail
JaneUK and girlarty like this post.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
Cardstock Collector

<<<@[email protected]>>>

Oh no! I’ve sliced myself on metal before (not the Gemini shim) and do know how lethal they can be. Hope your cut wasn’t too painful though
Old 03-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Hardware Hotshot

I did get a drop or two of blood on my cardstock, and it did hurt, but it healed really well. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I wasn't aware of the issue with the metal shim. I haven't used it yet - thankful I saw this first!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #7
Stampin' Fool

Thank you for the warning, and sharing this information. I was not aware, since I'm not on Facebook, and appreciate the heads up!!
Old 03-21-2019, 04:13 AM   #8
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for the warning. I’ve used the Gemini Junior metal shim a lot, so must have been lucky. Generally my fingers seek out any excuse for getting cut.

The entire UK industry is a mess and so many people have stopped enjoying their hobby because of some negative events being talked about? That seems like a big stretch. It’s likely that only a small percentage of hobbyists participate on forums. So there’s lots of chatter and complaining on some sites, but by a relatively small sample.

And while using copyrighted images or creating stamps in terrible taste or something else can be upsetting, how would that ruin the entire hobby for so many people?

Like many others, I’ve had a couple of bad customer service experiences, and had poorly manufactured products or irritating experiences. So the companies are avoided, the product returned or lesson learned - chalk it up to normal life. How could that make me not love my hobby? I mean Distress Oxides and alcohol inks and stencils, right?
jeannejj13 likes this post.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

As a Brit, I have to agree with Bjeans. I've seen no evidence of our craft industry being in a mess, or of people not enjoying their crafting hobby.
I'm a blogger, forum member, and a member of a number of crafting groups both on the net in general, and on Facebook. The only nastiness I've seen lately are between supporters of Create & Craft and Hochanda!

I'm guessing the poster was basing her comment on some Facebook posts of late. Yes, Crafters Companion had an issue with Sheena Douglas images, and a number of very vocal people had a lot to say on Facebook about it, which to be honest, Crafters Companion didn't do as much to calm down as they could. An explanatory statement from them took a few days to arrive, but equally, those same people didn't seem to grasp, or be interested in, the fact that CC were actively trying to get retrospective licensing on the various images, so that crafters who had bought them could continue to use them. It would certainly of helped if CC had been quicker to tell people which images were considered a potential problem.
There has also(apparently) been a lot of nastiness from people about Create & Craft and Hochanda. Crafters Companion, and a few other companies, have left Hochanda to return to Create and Craft, and you would not believe the vitriol of some people! Again, granted, Create & Craft don't have the worlds best reputation for customer service, but the way people are behaving is ridiculous. Whats the problem with having two craft channels?
Two things regarding that 'word search'.Regarding that 'word search'- I saw an image of it, I think on FB yesterday. I'm sorry, but almost every 'rude' word was somebody reaching badly to be offended. You get all sorts of random letters in a word search, and can often make words that are not a part of the theme.
All the outlined 'words' I saw had letters missing! I don't think one of them was a complete rude/insulting word.
For the second point, I'm actually pretty sure the whole thing was a fake. If you Google the subject, and Daily Mail,there is no sign of any such story!
I'd like to add that I'm no particular fan of Crafters Companion,so this isn't a fan girl defence of them.
The fact is, any company will do what's best for their business, and if CC feel thats at Create & Craft, then thats where they'll go.
Girlarty, can I ask where you saw that info about the shims, as I've Googled that too and can't find anything about it? I'd be interested to read it.
I'm also curious about 'the products being sold that are not what they're claimed'? Would you share which they are?

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 03-21-2019 at 08:56 AM..
bjeans likes this post.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
Hardware Hotshot

I can’t find the update about the shim either. Some people are very vocal and negative about Crafters Companion, so it would be great to get the source to confirm.

And btw, I’m not a CC fangirl though I adore my Gemini Junior. Reaching customer service (U.S. office) in the past was difficult, and the employee emailing me was well meaning but uninformed. It eventually worked out nicely after I requested a supervisor after several back-and-forths but was frustrating.
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #11
Die Cut Diva

bjeans, there is a lot of negative feedback over here for their customer service, all quite factual, on a review site we have here called TrustPilot. And I know I've heard that from people who have had reason to contact them. Seems like they could do with getting a Best Practice put in place there. I did search for Trading Standards and Crafters Companion, but couldn't find anything, that's why I too was hoping the OP could provide a link. I do have crafting friends who have Gemini cutting machines, and if it's genuine, I'd like to give them a heads up.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlarty View Post
Crafters companaion admitted that due to costs the metal sharp burrs on the edge of the shims were not machined off to a safe level. This is why when you watch Sara and her presenters with the metal shim they have tape around the edges,
There are no burrs on my two shims. I hadn’t read carefully so thought this was about the metal edges being so thin they could cause cuts. And of course thin metal could do that; even paper can. I cut myself on the edge of a thin metal ruler.

And I’ve skimmed through several videos, including one on HSN. The shim is not taped.

So now I wonder if I’m just lucky and got good shims - or if whoever posted the information originally - not here - was trying to cause problems.

Last edited by bjeans; 03-22-2019 at 04:45 AM..
ChrisO and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
There are no burrs on my two shims. I hadn’t read carefully so thought this was about the metal edges being so thin they could cause cuts. And of course thin metal could do that; even paper can. I cut myself on the edge of a thin metal ruler.

And I’ve skimmed through several videos, including one on HSN. No tape.

So now I wonder if I’m just lucky and got good shims - or if whoever posted the information originally - not here - was trying to cause problems.
Mine is fine, too. And if there's a way for me to cut or burn myself I'll find it! I've never noticed any demos on HSN to have tape on the sides. Sara talks fast enough that she could've said something and I missed it though, lol.
shazsilverwolf and bjeans like this post.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
Stampin' Fool

I just checked my metal shim, and it seems to be just fine as well. No issues, and I appreciate the all the information.
shazsilverwolf and bjeans like this post.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:13 AM   #15
Die Cut Diva

yes ladies, thats why I'd appreciate a link to the actual info about the shim. I have to say, I find it very hard to swallow that any company would say they have produced something inferior/dangerous just to save money. Thats simply asking to be sued, I would have thought. And fined by Trading Standards, probably. Pretty sure the reason would be given as failures in the machining/inspection process to be honest.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #16
Crimping Master

Shaz I always like your posts. You do your homework and provide verified info.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:56 AM   #17
Die Cut Diva

Hi Mary, thank you.
I do try to be fair, and not spread fake news. I was especially careful with this one, as there has been a lot of Crafters Companion bashing, particularly on FB, and we all know that there is a lot of ' it's on the Internet so it must be true' gong on there!
hultenlk and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #18
Crimping Master

I noticed this the other day
Channels. Tonic Studios announced this week that they are changing channels. The company, which has long partnered with Hochanda for TV shopping sales, is jumping to Create and Craft TV starting in March 2019. Click here to see the full announcement.

I sub Nancy Nally’s Scrapbook Update for my crafting news. She also provides great pictures and commentary every year for Creativation. I’ve learned about so many new crafting products through her site and she includes openings, closings, and major discontinuation announcements like the Cuttlebug.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #19
Die Cut Diva

Yes, it's been absolutely ridiculous the furore that's been caused on FB by a bunch of companies moving there. Some of them are in fact returning, as they left C&C to go to Hochanda when it formed. Personally, I'm not a big watcher of Craft TV, if there's something I do want to watch, I'll watch the catch-up on my PC, but that's rare. The only benefit I've ever had from C&C was via a fellow crafter where I worked. I swear she bought everything they advertised! When she decided she was giving up crafting, she gifted me her craft stuff, and you would not believe how much stuff had never been opened!

I think part of the reason for so much vitriol is the fact that C&C do not have the best customer service reputation, from what I see & hear.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #20
Die Cut Diva

Yes, it's been absolutely ridiculous the furore that's been caused on FB by a bunch of companies moving there. Some of them are in fact returning, as they left C&C to go to Hochanda when it formed. Personally, I'm not a big watcher of Craft TV, if there's something I do want to watch, I'll watch the catch-up on my PC, but that's rare. The only benefit I've ever had from C&C was via a fellow crafter where I worked. I swear she bought everything they advertised! When she decided she was giving up crafting, she gifted me a bunch of her craft stuff, and you would not believe how much stuff had never been opened!

I think part of the reason for so much vitriol is the fact that C&C do not have the best customer service reputation, from what I see & hear.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #21
Crimping Master

I would love to be a craft retiree recipient. Hope it was good stuff. I have a relative who has three Big Shots still in their boxes but I’m not in the will.

Craft TV might lure me into buying something some day, like maybe a Gemini Jr. so I pretty much avoid it.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #22
Cardstock Collector

I don’t think I can post links as a new member. But it definitely wasn’t fake news about the newspaper article.

Regarding the Gemini metal shim. Uk Trading Standards have been dealing with the complaints and from what I have heard Crafters Companion have been told by Trading Standards not to sell the shim with the machine and i believe it can only be sold separately if there is some warning on it. To my knowledge, Crafters Companion haven’t put a statement out about the shim, but that is not surprising, as they seem to only put statements out when they really have to. Sara Davies did a Facebook live on Crafters Companion US Facebook page on 14th March where it shows her using tape on the metal shim - it’s around 26 minutes 45 seconds in to the video.

Actually the whole copyright issue, especially regarding Sheena has turned quite a few people off from crafting. Yes it is probably only a small minority but they still matter. Many had spent literally thousands of pounds on Sheena Douglass stamps and feel that even though Crafters Companion have now got retrospective permission on some of them, they feel that the stamps are tainted by her deception. Especially as one of them is of a murdered actor. Another stamp they have not been able to obtain retrospective permission for, but as far as I’m aware Crafters Companion have not told any of their customers that they must not use it, or put anything on their website and social media pages telling people not to use that stamp. The owner of that image has been very clear that nobody has any right to make anything using his image.

Last edited by Bubbles56; 03-26-2019 at 03:01 PM..
Old 03-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #23
Cardstock Collector

I think I can post links now, so here is the article in the Daily Mail Sedate world of crafts is rocked after apparent crude insult to rival in magazine word search
Old 03-27-2019, 12:42 AM   #24
Glitter Queen

Shazsilverwold I can 100% tell you now this is not fake news regarding the shim as it was I myself who reported to Trading Standards and I myself who had the telephone call and I myself who had the outcome direct from TS....I also will post this and hope it will clarify and confirm I do not post fake news!
; font-family: "Lucida Grande", Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); table-layout: fixed;">
Sharon Simpson (Crafter's Companion)
Mar 12, 13:43 GMT
Hello Mrs Ty,

Thank you for getting back to us. I have spoken to Trading Standards directly and I can confirm that they are satisfied with the measures we are putting in place regarding the shims so no further investigation is required.

I want to reassure you that we do take you concerns very seriously, and as previously mentioned we have discussed this with Trading Standards and a satisfactory conclusion has been reached.

Best regards

Sharon Simpson | Service Operations Manager
www.crafterscompanion.co.uk

Old 03-27-2019, 12:48 AM   #25
Glitter Queen

whilst we are her discussing so called fake news...here is the link to the Daily mail regarding the puzzle, which I have to say was absolustely disgusting.....Sedate world of crafts is rocked after apparent crude insult to rival in magazine word search | Daily Mail Online
so angered that certain people think we have nothing better to do than post fake news when in fact if they really searched hard enough they would find the evidence in black and white!
Create and craft are known in the uk for their smut and crude remarks and blatant lies over licensing, Disneygate a big example,telling peeps clearly more than once they can sell items when we we all knew from disney themselves this was false. And now this puzzle, Create and craft are lower than low IMHO, if you have a beef with another company then do not bring it into customers homes by publishing your vile attacks in a puzzle.

to blame the publishers is well shamefull....but you can read it here...https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/...zzle-1-8856194
Crafters Companion have proved time and time again they have no concerns for customer safety at all!

Last edited by girlarty; 03-27-2019 at 12:53 AM..
Old 03-27-2019, 02:21 AM   #26
Die Cut Diva

Ladies, thanks for those links. I hadn't been able to find anything online regarding both items. Still can't access the Telegraph one, as it doesn't like the fact I run an adblocker! Please accept I did not accuse either of you of posting fake news, I simply said I am very careful what I repeat, when I haven't been able to check the facts, due to the sheer amount of fake news that appears. I did see the word search posted on FB, but as I said, the words that had been outlined in the version I saw all had letters missing from the words, so I'm guessing that only a partial image was shown, probably Fb would not allow an image containing that word. Disgraceful behaviour at worst,and at the very least, clearly not very careful proof reading at best.
hultenlk, PikkuLilla and maryalena like this post.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #27
Insane Embellisher

Holy guacamole. You UK crafters are hard core! You must wield your ribbon shears like ninjas.
ChrisO, shazsilverwolf, maryalena and 1 others like this post.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:18 AM   #28
Glitter Queen

Not at all Fifi but we do Take Safety very serious in the UK! As for Create and craft well I think their true colors were revealed in the puzzle at how low this company will stoop and just at how many customers they have lost over the past few years. Membership at create and craft was at a all time low in the Uk hence the sudden surge for the US market and good luck to you all is what I will say. We have seen dirty tricks from this company for years so we gladly hand them to you on a plate...enjoy!
Old 03-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #29
Inking Addict

I bought my Gemini JR at the launch and use it almost daily. I've only used my metal shim maybe twice - don't understand why it is needed. But, thank you for the warning.... I will be sure to be extra careful if I use it again. Happy Crafting !

Mac
Old 04-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #30
Rubber Obsessor

Well, while we're talking about the Gemini Jr...I've been thinking of buying one but have a Big Shot (the OLD one from about 10 years ago). Does the Gemini do anything the Big Shot can't, or vice versa? But I wouldn't buy from C&C as it's cheaper on the big global online store with FREE postage and next day delivery.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #31
Hardware Hotshot

The Gemini Junior is electric so you don't crank. After turning it on you just "offer" the sandwich into the opening and it grabs it and sends it through. The pressure is excellent; highly detailed and full coverage dies that I could not get to cut well in either a Cuttlebug or two Big Shots at my LSS cut easily in the Gemini. And dies that cut well in a manual machine cut even better in the Gemini - less poking bits out.

The plates are thin; flipping *and* rotating after each cutting makes a huge difference to keep the curves away.

Just my experience; YMMV.
JaneUK likes this post.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #32
Hardware Hotshot

The only dies the Gemini machines can't accommodate are the steel rule Sizzix dies. They are too thick.
JaneUK likes this post.