Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embossing machine

I am wondering if anyone can give me some comments on either the cricut cuttlebug or the sizzix Big Shot (I think that is what it was called)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Never mind I just saw another thread on it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay so I'm back..the link comparing the cuttlebug to the big shot is broken…anyone know how I can view that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 04:54 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Mainly, it comes down to size! There is a limit to the size of dies you can put through a bug. As far as I am aware, you cannot put ant of the steel rule type dies through a bug. They will only accept the thinner 'wafer thin, chemically etched' type of die, ie Nesties..
My personal advice is go for the biggest machine you have room for/can budget for. Ultimately you will have a greater range of use from it. I had an original red sizzix, then upped to a 'bug. I got fed up with dies etc getting bigger than the bug could handle, so went for a 'once & forever' upgrade to a BSPro. Its got a 12" opening, so I figured I would never want to cut anything that big, let alone bigger!
There is a You Tube vid on the choice here .
Here is a link to a compatability cahrt for the 'bug here on SCS.
Here a link to sizzix which tells you what it can do.
Hope this helps a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't used a Big Shot so I can't address any of your questions on that, but I have had my little Cuttlebug for about 8 years. I do have to correct Shaz on one point - you can use steel rule dies in the Cuttlebug, but only the smaller ones that will fit through the opening. You wouldn't be able to use the Sizzix Bigz dies or any of the larger dies made by some of the other companies.

I consider myself a pretty heavy duty crafter and the Cuttlebug has met my needs. I do have add that I have a couple electronic cutting machines (a CraftRobo & Zing), so I don't use a lot of dies in my Cuttlebug and its mainly for embossing these days.

If you think you'll be using a lot of the bigger dies, then I'd say a Big Shot is probably more of what you would need. If you're just going to use Spellbinder type dies and embossing, then either machine would work. I always go with get the best quality you can afford. I personally won't buy ProvoCraft products anymore, so I would steer you towards the Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

You can use Sizzix Bigz and Bigz XL dies in the Cuttlebug. You can't use the Pro dies but they won't work in the Big Shot either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my trusty little Cuttlebug since they first came on the market years ago. I got it at Michaels with a coupon for about $40!

I have used it thousands and thousands of times to emboss and to die cut. It still works very well. I've replaced my cutting plates, but you have to do that with lots of the machines.

I don't have a dedicated crafting spot, and need to bring things to a table in my den, so the size and weight of the Cuttlebug is very appealing to me. Also, the handy handle to pick it up. I can have it in a file box next to my chair, put it on the table and use it, and put it right back down easily.

It has filled my needs as a cardmaker very well, and if it broke I would probably get another one.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks everyone…in the depths of a depression over my husband leaving me after 20 years, I threw everything I owned away! Cricut, Sizzix, paper, inks, stains, everything probably over a $1000 worth of stuff…now that I am crawling out of that hell I am regretting throwing everything away..so like my life, I am starting all over. This time with a lot less money and no studio, but that's okay. It will still be great to get my hands working again..even if it is from the tiny kitchen table!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I've had my trusty little Cuttlebug since they first came on the market years ago. I got it at Michaels with a coupon for about $40!

I have used it thousands and thousands of times to emboss and to die cut. It still works very well. I've replaced my cutting plates, but you have to do that with lots of the machines.

I don't have a dedicated crafting spot, and need to bring things to a table in my den, so the size and weight of the Cuttlebug is very appealing to me. Also, the handy handle to pick it up. I can have it in a file box next to my chair, put it on the table and use it, and put it right back down easily.

It has filled my needs as a cardmaker very well, and if it broke I would probably get another one.
I tend to agree. Bought a Cuttlebug at a garage sale for $10 about 10 years ago and it still is going strong! Haven't had a need to have a pricier machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennazView Post
Thanks everyone�in the depths of a depression over my husband leaving me after 20 years, I threw everything I owned away! Cricut, Sizzix, paper, inks, stains, everything probably over a $1000 worth of stuff�now that I am crawling out of that hell I am regretting throwing everything away..so like my life, I am starting all over. This time with a lot less money and no studio, but that's okay. It will still be great to get my hands working again..even if it is from the tiny kitchen table!
Glad to hear that you making your way back and being creative again. Its good therapy and this place is a sure fire way to get your self-esteem back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennazView Post
Thanks everyone�in the depths of a depression over my husband leaving me after 20 years, I threw everything I owned away! Cricut, Sizzix, paper, inks, stains, everything probably over a $1000 worth of stuff�now that I am crawling out of that hell I am regretting throwing everything away..so like my life, I am starting all over. This time with a lot less money and no studio, but that's okay. It will still be great to get my hands working again..even if it is from the tiny kitchen table!
I don't understand what is with some men! From your avatar, you are adorable, and I admire your positive attitude to jump back into something creative. He is a fool in my book!

You gave him 20 years...let's have the next ones be for you.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Jennaz, here's hoping that being creative helps to get you back to being your true self, with all the happiness you deserve!
Thanks Cindy for the info about the small dies- I've never tried them in the 'bug, so thats helpful to know. And to Iamvics about Bigz- never knew that either. Which goes to prove, don't believe everything compatability charts tell you .
One thing I will say about die cutting machines, is that every machine(within the same brand) does have pressure variations, so whichever you go with, try your sandwiches carefully, especially if it needs shims. You should only get a very small amount of resistance. Start thin and add shims to get the cut.
I say this, as I bought a set of Tim Holtz diffusers, and the vid I found of a lady using them in the bug used a sandwich which was way too thick for my machine, yet it went through hers fine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Hi
I bought Sizzex Ornate labels thinlets, 12 to a package by Lori Whitlock.
I want to know if I can use them in the Cuttlebug and what would the sandwich be?

Thanks so Much
Louise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Sheena, I only have some circle and scalloped circle thinlets, but they work fine in my bug with a 'standard' sandwich for any Spellbinders die.
A plate
C plate
Die
cardstock
B plate
paper shims depending on weight of cardstock/paper used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks, I will try that sandwich...the ornate labels have some intricate parts in it

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2014, 03:24 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

If it has intricate pieces, try adding a sheet of waxed paper over the die, before the cardstock/paper. The general opinion is this helps an intricate shape to pop out of the dies better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sheena, Elizabeth craft has a great idea about getting those itty bitty pieces of paper out quickly from those intricate dies. Cut the paper, do not take the paper out and place 4 folded in half sheets of dryer sheets (maybe more or less sheets needed according to your die but my Big Shot takes 3) and run thru again. It is amazing how it takes then all out!
Reply With Quote Likes