Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Stampin' Fool

Default Do you often use all 48 stampin up ink colors?

Being a total newbie I don't know what is most used. I imagine that most stamps are used with the black or even brown ink pads for stamping and then you color in by whatever means you want.

But what about the other 46 colors? Do those get used often?

Thanks

Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Stampin' Fool

I rarely use black...believe it or not.

Pick yourself out a family color that you really like and order the Stampin' Spots. When you find yourself using certain colors, order the larger stamp pads. I find many customers of mine do this.

What I did was just order a few larger stamp pads here and there. I also use the markers a lot.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
Mad Swapper

I use all 48 of my stamp pads, I mainly use them for background images or with small butterflies or flowers.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Stampin' Fool

I use almost all the colors often. I guess it depends on your style and taste. I tend to use my greens and purples the most since I use a lot of floral images. I also find that I use the color families during their season, for example, I use soft subtles most in spring, brights most in summer, etc.

I love using the in colors and love, love, love having all the colors at my disposal so I'm always ready when inspiration hits.

SU sells smaller pads called 'spots'. That may be a good way to build your collection then you could get the large pads eventually for those that you use all the time. good luck and have fun!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Kookie Creator

I think this depends a lot on what type of a stamper you are. I really enjoy stamp sets that don't require a bunch of coloring so I use all (or almost all) of my colors regularly. Even for the sets that do need to be colored, I like to use my blender pen (learning to use aqua painter) with the ink that I pressed into the lids of my ink pads.

I do know that I go through stages or 'seasons' where one or two color families get more work than others. I also have favorite colors/color families that get used more as well. Shall we discuss how much paper and reinker I have used in More Mustard, Perfectly Plum and Old Olive?!?!?! Summer Sun is a close second with a few other colors but you get the idea.

I know there are a lot of gals on here that just love their stamping spots. That is great. I love my stamp pads. Personal preferences. Try some out, learn what you like then go that way.

I started out with one color family of ink and a pack of white and the asst card stock to match my ink family. I started with EE. They were the colors I was most drawn to and it was years ago before they retired, added, and readjusted colors so that gave me black in there. I still love that group! I was lucky in I had a few friends that were starting with me and we each liked a different family so between us we ended up with all 4 families. I found I was using the other families so I added them the same way asst card stock and then ink pads. As I used up the card stock I bought another assorted pack unless I was doing a "project" that required a LOT of a color (like Christmas cards or when I did my sister's bridal shower invites). I think it was when I hit the third asst pack that I realized that some colors I now had 8 or 9 sheets of the color and others I was out again. This is when I jumped to buying packs of a single color. This method allowed me to have color selection and to slowly build up my paper supply.

Oh, on the reinkers. I did not follow the custom I hear about often in buying the reinkers when I buy the ink pad. I waited a bit. Yes, I do now own all of the reinkers for the colors I have but I bought then one or two at a time.

Sorry this got long, but I hope this helps you out.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

Black is great if you are first starting out, because you can color images with a variety of media: pencils, markers, watercoloring, etc. Once I had been stamping a while, I started using the SU color families. The previous poster had a great suggestion to get a color family that you like in the spots, and then buy the full pads of the colors you use the most. The colors are good for solid stamps, backgrounds, etc. I also find I use the colored inks a lot when I want to coordinate with the SU patterned paper.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

I like to color my images so I don't use colors other than black, brown, and grey very often. I did buy all the color families in the stampin spots and I do use them for solid images and background stamps occasionally. I love the spots; I can have all the colors in case I need to use them but I didn't have the expense of the large pads. This way, I don't feel so wasteful if I don't use them often.

Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Black isn't one of the 48 you know... There are actually 60 ink colors at any given time counting the neutrals and In Color!

I actually never use the black either...I use stazon because I color many of my images and don't want any bleeding. I started out buying a set of ink pads and CS in a color theme I LOVED, like 3 or 4 colors that went GREAT together and were my style. Then I did another set...and then as I used it I would find that I was missing a color a few times, and would buy that.

I have LOVED the past 2 In Color sets, and bought all 6 of each...however the next one isn't looking like my kind of stuff. Anyway, what I am trying to get at, is start small, you can always add more. Or possibly do the one color family you are most drawn to...as mentioned before.

You can also buy the markers in lieu of a whole in pad if you rarely use it, but want to make sure it's available...you can color a whole stamp with it if needed! I often use these just for words stamps that need to match, or coloring a bit of the image.

Now I have about 45 colors, however I only have 2 of the bold brights...and have never missed having any colors for the past 6 months or so, until yesterday when I found I didn't have the perfect pink to go with gray.

So...I guess if you have money to blow...buy it all...if not, wait and see what you find yourself using and you may be surprised.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Matboard Maniac

Default color families

I would buy the colors that you think you would use first, but definitly keep in mind that fall is coming and you will want the earth elements and rich regals. I was lucky and I signed up when they were giving a free family of large stamp pads in addition to the starter kit. I bought all the pads because I, too, love to have them on hand. I bought the craft pads in the spots with the exception of the neutrals. I think that a blender pen and aquapainter work better than the markers. I would save your money on the markers and buy the stamp pads.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
Crimping Master

I do! I waited until I could save up enough for each color family, then bought them in the sets of 12. I love that they came in these cardboard boxes which double as storage (I wish I had a picture...).

I know I use some colors more than others, but I think its worth it to have them all!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

I do. some get used all the time and others only rarely, but yes, I prefer the large pads. at first it was because I was NOT coloring images. Now it's because I AM coloring them.

I don't get reinkers though..although I may need to for Black here shortly. I figure that for many of the colors they will have retired them anyway so can't get matching paper any more. I am however missing some of the recent colors in the families when they changed stuff around. I may consider buying pads in those since I will be getting all new packs of paper in August.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #12
Hardware Hotshot

I can't imagine anyone needing that many stamp pads, sure it's nice but not necessary. Can't versamark be used on cardstock for background detail, instead of buying a darker color for background. I am intriqued enough to check out color families, then you would be pruchasing color family cardstock also, is that right?

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Old 07-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Gallery Gazer

I own most of the colors, and honestly don't use them much for stamping. However, I do use them for watercoloring with my aquapainter by smooshing some of the ink onto the lid.

I prefer line art stamps that I can color in, so I use my SU markers and watercolor crayons way more than the ink pads. My advice would be to buy what you need based on your stamping style. If you like line art like I do, it might be better to invest in the markers or crayons. If you prefer solid images, then you probably would be better off with the pads. HTH!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
Crimping Master

I think I've used just about every single SU color at one time or another, but there are some colors I tend to use more often.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in Indy View Post
I think I've used just about every single SU color at one time or another, but there are some colors I tend to use more often.
Ditto. Actually, I started out purchasing the spots, since they were on special at the time. It was quick way to get all the colors without spending a ton of money. I wanted the markers, but couldn't afford them all at once, so those I got through a marker club, 1/4 set at a time. I did go on to get all of the full-sized pads, too, but I don't want to say that's "necessary," lol...just nice !

I think a lot will depend also on how much you tend to copy other projects. I mean, it gets REALLY frustrating to see a great card you want to duplicate and not have all the colors. Or not even copying...you might want to join a color combo challenge. Can't do it if you don't have the colors of that week, right?

Decisions, decisions, lol! All of the tips so far have been good ones. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

SCS Gallery * My SU Website
It isn't hoarding if your stuff is cool...
Old 07-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Insane Embellisher

I don't necessarily use all 48 colors on a regular basis, but I like having the option. I'm a big fan of the spots - you could buy 4 full sized pads, or for $1.50 more you could buy a whole color family of the spots. It's a great way to try all the colors (and as mentioned above you can upgrade to full-size pads for the colors you use the most). And don't forget, the spots are ultra portable!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
Insane Embellisher

I love all the colors except the bold brights. I can't seem to make myself use them and I don't like anything I make with them. Love the rest though!! I bought the markers and colored my stamp to get all the colors for a very long time, probably 3 or 4 years. Then I got a great deal on craiglist for most of the colors. I've been collecting the rest slowly. I only have 3 of the bold brights left. Unless I get a really good deal, I probably won't buy them.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

I love almost all of the colors. I use them seasonally, so yes, throughout the year I do end up using all of the colors. Maybe start out with the spots until you figure out what you want to use the most. Good luck.
Laurie's Cards & Ramblings
Old 07-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #19
Rubber Obsessor

I have all the color family stampin spots. I went with these so that I would have all the colors. I tend to use some more then others and have just started to think about getting the large ink pads for the colors I use most often. I'm also considering buying the markers but am not sure if I should get all colors or just the ones I use the most. As others have said get the stampin spots then find out which you like and use then buy the larger pads.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to StephStamps1982

I had the markers first...so I started purchasing ink pads based on which markers I used the most...now (a year and a half later) I have built my collection and have almost all the earth elements, rich regals and soft subtles ink pads, I also have all the current In Color ink pads and the new In Color ink pads...needless to say...I had to order the color caddy extender kit...

Start with your favorite colors...over time, I am sure that you will find you are using more and more colors...and gradually build your collection of ink pads...I know, stamp sets are more fun than ink pads...I used to always put those off and then came to the realization that I really *need* this color or that one...etc...so decided to build up my collection with colors that I love and use often...except for Bold Brights....they're just not my style but I'm not everyone either...

Have fun choosing! Happy Stampin! God Bless!

Stephanie Seelye

~
Proud Fan Club Member ~

My Blog: Coffee, Stamps & Chaos
Stuff I've Stamped
Old 07-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #21
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

I use them all, but some less than others. The spots are an awesome way to start!
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Old 07-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #22
Stampin' Fool

You've all given me a lot to consider Thank you!

Erin
Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #23
dal
Kookie Creator

I started out ordering one set of spots at a time to get all the colors thinking I would then get the full sized pads for the colors I used the most, but I LOVE the spots (and have used almost all the colors at some point) and hate the full sized pads. I only use black ink about half the time, the rest is whatever color goes best, I find I use lots of colors that I do not personally like, but which work perfectly on certain cards for certain people! I hate all forms of pink, but end up using all of the pinks often! After the spots I joined a marker club and use then all the time. Now I am going to start getting all the craft spots!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1 View Post
I use all 48 of my stamp pads, I mainly use them for background images or with small butterflies or flowers.
yeah. me too.
i have all the spots, and all the markers. and all of the in-colors.
sure, i use black all the time. but i use ALL of my SU! colors.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Old 07-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #25
Kookie Creator

Nope. In fact, I'm trying to unload as many of my inkpads as possible. I have found that I mainly use black and brown (Hybrid Palette) for use with Copics and watercolors. Now, I do use ALL of the SU! Watercolor crayons. I constantly reach for those for my coloring. LOVE them!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #26
Polyshrink Goddess

I did it differently: I signed up as a demo, then began to build my inkpad supply FIRST. I am almost done with the basic 48, and I use stazon black for lines, too. I am now working on the papers, and will probably add on a few asst packs at a time until I have just a few "favorites" to buy singly. I have about 10 colors that I bought alone, mostly soft subtles, they match so well with everything else. Oh, and Close to Cocoa and Chocolate Chip, I am loving the browns with almost everything this year!
I love having all of the colors, because I can always find something to match my glitterstack paper, and because I just love colors in general... to each his own, I suppose...
Now I can start working on stamp sets.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #27
Rubber Obsessor

I don't have a large collection of ink pads, and I manage just fine! As a newbie, there are probably a lot of other tools and supplies you could use before you sink a lot of money into a large number of ink pads. There are some great threads on SCS that will help point you in the right direction! That being said, I love my spots. It gave me the chance to test out colors and then make smart decisions about which ones I wanted to buy in full-size. Hope this helps and happy stamping!!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:36 AM   #28
Hardware Hotshot

For use of black, I only use Stazon jet Black or Pallette Noir.. the Classic ink pad Black isn't really black, so I quit using it a long while back.

Buy the multipacks of card stock, and find colors and combinations that you like and go from there.

Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 AM   #29
Polyshrink Goddess

You could buy a few of these SU re-inkers and use it on an un-inked pad
to save some money and see how you like the color stamped images vs. black. I like having a variety of colors so I use all of my 60 pads. If you prefer the craft pads (more expensive than Classics), I would get a set of stampin' spots and try it.
Attached Thumbnails
re-inkers.jpg