Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #41
Polyshrink Goddess

My Misti warped, it won't completely stamp some of my larger stamps. I bought the SU platform and much prefer it, plus you have two panels so layered stamps are much easier.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #42
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmara View Post
I recently heard that Stampin' Up! changed their cling stickers and now they are too sticky. Maybe someone else can chime in on this. I don't know because I have never added the stickers and without the stamps have the perfect amount of cling.
You have to be careful in taking them off the block or platform, make sure you are under the rubber and gently pull back. I like them, and when mounting the sticker, I remove the stamp from the rubber sheet, replace it, remove backing then stand right over it, and carefully place the sticker on (once stuck on it's stuck!)
Old 04-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #43
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I also resisted getting a MISTI for a long time when they first came out. After seeing several crafters using it on various videos, I finally decided to bite the bullet and get the original size. (This is one of the very first ones, when they were still handmade. I don't think they came in the mini or memory sizes then.) I can say with confidence that it is indeed a game-changer! I don't say that you have to have a MISTI specifically, though I am happy with mine and don't have the need (or the room) to buy any other stamp positioners. The one minor grumble I have is with cling stamps. Since you can't see through them, if it's an image or greeting or something where alignment is critical, I don't generally use my MISTI. I still have my Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, and just mount that sort of stamp on an acrylic block & use that. But for clear stamps & cling background stamps, I'm all about the MISTI! As for stamps not sticking, are they good-quality photopolymer stamps? I have clear stamps that I got at Michael's & Hobby Lobby a long time ago (before I knew better) that were made in China. They are not photopolymer, very flimsy, don't take ink well, and don't stick to acrylic all that well. I even pitched a few sets, just because they were so useless! If your stamps are good-quality photopolymer or cling rubber, I agree with others here about just giving them a good clean. I use a recipe I got from Laura Sterckx. Warm water (I just heat cold tap water for a few seconds in the microwave), a squirt of dish soap, & a small splash of lemon juice. Let the stamps soak in that for about 15 minutes, then rinse & let them air dry. Good as new! I put them in a strainer or colander to rinse them, so they don't fall down the drain. If I'm in the middle of a stamping session & my stamp won't stick, I will generally just spritz a little stamp cleaner on the back & wipe it dry with my cloth. Works in a pinch until I can give them a better cleaning.

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Old 04-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #44
Cardstock Collector

Default OK, I’ll chime in here...

I have two regular (won one) and a mini MISTI, a regular and a travel TH, and I won a WRMK at a CREATE event. Each has its pros and cons. Minis are a little limiting IMO because you can only use smaller stamps, papers, etc. The TH lets paper hang put the side and even super large stamps, while the MISTI does not (although the 12 x 12 could eliminate that issue, it is VERY pricey). The WRMK has specialty attachments that let you stamp perfect rows, words, etc. so it’s all in what you need, I guess.

Personally, I use the regular MISTI almost all the time now... mainly because it fits on my work space best. And to be honest, I doubt I would be stamping with layering stamps or the GinaK Wreath Maker jig or the Concord & 9th turnabout stamps without it!

But price is an issue.

By the way, I think the TH platforms have been withdrawn from the US market (still can get them in the UK andEurope, I think). I know that he said on one of his Facebook lives that it was “retired” and was not willing to say why... but the MISTI people have been very aggressive in the past about suing for patent infringement.

As for wood mounted stamps, I have an ancient stamp-a-ma-jig positioner that I use if I need to use wood mounted stamps. Don’t know if they still can be got but I never found them to be as helpful and certainly they never allowed perfect restamping of an image.

Last edited by thatyank; 04-22-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Old 04-21-2020, 01:22 PM   #45
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestmoon View Post
I have a MISTI which I use with every card that uses a stamp.
I have a Tim Holtz stamp positioner which has a larger platform, which I sometimes use when the stamped image needs to be 'off the side' of the card front, then I stick the paper to the base (in the middle of the platform) with Sizzix Sticky Grid Sheet. I have found the lid of his is less flexible than the MISTI which makes it impossible to press in a certain spot. You know what I mean.
I use the MISTI Much more than TH.
It's only Stampin Up Foam-backed stamps that won't stick. I use double sided Scotch tape and just leave it on the stamp, because it will be needed for the next time!
I use a thin mouse pad in my Tim Holtz for both clear and cling stamps. Then I can press wherever I want and get good results.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

I happen to be one who still prefers my wood mounted stamps. Although I do have a few clear and a number of cling, I tend to not use them, because I have to mount and unmount every time I want to stamp with them.

With that being said, I have the TH stamp positioner and a regular and a mini misti, and none of them get used very much. It's just more work to use them. I won gift cards from My Sweet Petunia, so I didn't pay for either Misti.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 ~ Fan Club Member ~ gallery ~ FS620 lacyquilter
come join the Alphabet Challenge ~ My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20

Old 04-21-2020, 08:15 PM   #47
Rubber Obsessor

I have 2 one by Tim Holtz and stampin ups stamparatus. I like both. Would I buy another no. They all work the same way i tend to like the stamparatus more because you can double stamp at the same time. It has two boards to adhere your stamps to.

FAN CLUB MEMBER
BRAK MEMBER
RAK MEMBER
Old 04-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #48
Rubber Obsessor

I’m so glad I bought the Misti. I didn’t for a long time, tried to used the fiskars stamp platform that is on foam legs but frequently I couldn’t line back up. After getting the Misti I was amazed at how much more I enjoyed stamping and creating. I did also buy the holtz platform thinking that it would be handy with the open sides. My holtz platform seems to have a spot that just doesn’t stamp well, it’s not the stamp as it happens with all of them. If i shim I get too much ink on other parts of the card image. If it was my only option I’d figure it out. It’s a little bigger than my regular size Misti and that’s actually also a bit of a problem as I only have a small student desk to work on so needing twice the size of the larger platform (the side with the stamp plus the open lid that holds the stamp which needs to be inked on the lid) along with my supplies is challenging. I never used the open sides for stamping like I thought I would. For me, I find I just don’t reach for the platform, I reach for the misti. I do make some 5 by 7 cards and the Misti has been fine for those. Bottom line I say buy a stamping platform and you will enjoy stamping so much more. Think about the space it takes when fully open and what you have available. Use whatever you end up buying and once you’ve bought one don’t worry if it’s the “best” or the newest or the same as some other persons or most popular. I think I remember an old Jennifer McGuire video where she showed different techniques that were possible on the Misti. I’m sure the same would be possible on most other platforms, might be fun to watch that.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:30 AM   #49
Cardstock Collector

I have the original MISTI. It's dirty, cracked, and still stamps like a dream. best invention for stamping ever!! no affiliation
shirlb19 likes this post.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #50
Proud Fan Club Member

Jumping back in to say that I have regular and mini MISTIS, a full-size and travel Tim Holtz platform, and use the mini MISTI almost exclusively. I use my regular MISTI if I need to stamp directly on a card (or inside one), but most of what I do fits in the small one just fine. I may take some time with the travel TH to learn the quirks of it, but I'm so familiar with the MISTI that so far I haven't. The TH has less "give", so there tend to be spots that don't stamp as well, and it seems bulkier and clumsier to me. Just my take, but there it is. Full-size TH is still in the box - that thing seems HUGE to me!

DianeinSparks likes this post.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #51
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes, I tend to reach for the mini Misti instead of the larger one the most. But I like having the larger one as well and do still use it. It was the first one I got. Can't begin to guess how much frustration has not happened because of the Misti. Love it!

Shirl
Old 05-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #52
Gallery Gazer

I usually use my mini Misti just for my signature stamp (for the back of cards) which stays on it permanently. Sometimes I use it for a small stamp on a very small piece of paper, not moving the signature stamp though.

I use the Tim travel platform the most since paper can stick out from the platform and not get bent since it’s open, then the regular sized Misti, and only the full sized Tim if I have really large paper. Sometimes I use the mini Tim and regular Misti for the same project if using more than one stamp and making more than one card.

I had another brand but think I donated it during a purge? Vague memory.