Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 09-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default Distress refill WARNING

I contacted Ranger yesterday because my unopened Distress Aged Mahogany reinker was basically gone except for the bit of sludge at the top of the bottle. It was still sealed and stored in good conditions.

Ranger returned my email and hopefully will help me out, but I was shocked to learn that Ranger says the reinkers should be used within 6 months of purchase!!!!! I am sick as I purchased every reinker along with my ink pad purchase. I had never heard that there was an expiration date, or best by date, on these reinkers. I have many reinkers for other inks and they have always been perfect years after purchase. I have heard that sometimes red reinkers can be a problem and Ranger did say that this particular color was their "problem child".

If you have already purchased reinkers, like I have, you can't do much about it, but if you have been thinking about purchasing reinkers, you might want to avoid the purchase. I have also been purchasing the Distress Oxide reinkers and now I think that might not be a good idea. If I have any more correspondence with Ranger I will ask about the Oxides and come back and share what I learn. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
hoptownracer1 likes this post.
Unread 09-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

What????? I feel a little sick about this, and I wonder if the newer refills are different from the old because I've used them years after purchase. Since the original ink in Distress pads last longer than six months, why would the refills have a shorter life?
dini likes this post.
Unread 09-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

My Candied Apple original Distress refill had issues. It was a manufacturing issue and was replaced. It was syrupy right from the get go. No other problems over the years I've had them. So far so good with Aged Mahogany. It's about two years old. Not a color I use a lot. Going through a whole reinker in six months would be impossible for me. Seems odd.
Unread 09-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Insane Embellisher

I had a reply from Ranger regarding my issue and they added this comment:
"Aged Mahogany is the main reinker that should be used within 6 months because the issue is known. The other colors generally hold up beyond 12 months, depending on storage conditions, climate, Etc."

I am so relieved to hear this! I can handle one, or even a few of the reinkers having problems, as long as it is not an overall problem. I forgot to ask about the Oxide reinkers, so I still don't know anything about them.
Unread 09-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

I thought I read somewhere that the oxide inks dry out a lot quicker than the dye inks. I bought the refills too! But I like to use them with my eBrush too. Sounds like I need to do more card making/crafting in the next 6 months.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Unread 09-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I rember problems getting reported with Aged Mahogony ages ago so it's interesting that Ranger called it their "problem child"! It seemed to have a thick gel consistency from the get-go for some folk.

As for using within six months I suspect that's just a manufacturer covering their back. Even using the reinker for lots of techniques rather than just reinking the pad, no hobby crafter is going to use up a whole bottle in six months. I've got bottles of Distress reinker that are not only several years old, they've been opened for that length of time too. I may regret saying this but they're all OK at the time of writing!

My blog
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Unread 09-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

I thought Candied Apple was their main problem child. I only tried mine out because an LSS friend alerted me. They had a whole batch of refills come into the store all jelly-like. Although Aged Mahogany is going strong I won't replace it if it goes gooey. It's not a have to have it type color for me.
Unread 09-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Most of my reinkers are several years old, but I typically do not buy them till I need them. This includes Ranger products and other products. I noted when Tim was introducing oxide inks, he lightly mentioned in one of the CHA videos that it does not have as long of a shelf life as other inks and that we are generally spoiled in the craft industry to have such long shelf life on most products. I was never sure what to make of the comment, and especially find that interesting after reading this thread. I still bought all the oxide inks, but wonder if they will last. I think I will probably just buy new pads rather than the reinker????

I design for Just for Fun Rubber stamps.
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 09-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
Proud Fan Club Member

Then frankly they need to put an expiration date on those bottles bc NO ONE but Ranger would know when that 6 month time is. I could be a LSS who direct orders from Ranger, but who knows how long it was on the shelf in their warehouse? Add in middle men like distributors....no. No one but a mfg knows the age of their product.

There needs to be a note in the description on their website and direct sellers'. You dont tell customers after the fact oh oooops...you need to do this. Unfair.
Paula in GA, Brenda71, Redeemed and 2 others like this post.
Unread 09-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #10
Gabfest Goddess

Yeah, the issues with various products with this hobby...do not get me started. I have only bought one re-inker which is the iced spruce oxide. If this is going to be a problem, one might just as well buy a whole new ink pad when needed. I know it is more money but the alternative worry and pressure to use a re inker is ridiculous. There oughta be a law, lol.

Shirl
Unread 09-09-2017, 04:05 AM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

I'm one of those who had a problem with Aged Mahogany a while ago, but mine was freshly bought, and opened within a few weeks. It was just a gungy mess, and I also had a second, I think it was Wild Honey, that was the same. They did replace both at the time.
I guess they have a problem, as temperatures/humidity are going to have an effect, and their inks are in use worldwide, so I think it's a case of weighing up whether your weather is likely to have detrimental effects on it, and then buying reinkers appropriately.
Wavejumper does have the right of it though- they need to either put a bottled date, or use by date, on them, so customers know how long they have to use the ink, roughly.
Unread 09-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #12
Insane Embellisher

It sure would be helpful to have some sort of date on the bottle. It could have been manufactured years before purchase.

I have been trying to buy reinkers because of my experience with Colorbox. They suddenly just stopped making reinkers for a bunch of their products.There was no warning that the reinkers were being discontinued. My ink pads were in great shape, but maybe needed a quick refresh. When they stopped making the reinkers you could just as well throw the pad. I had a bunch of great colors and now I know they are worthless. I will not buy another Colorbox product.
stamphappy1650 likes this post.
Unread 09-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #13
Pearl-ExPert

Sort of slightly off topic, but I thought it worth a mention. I ordered some Oxide pads a while ago, and as the wait was a little longer than expected, the store owner added in a refill bottle of another colour, as a Thank You for waiting. Anyway, the reason I'm mentioning it here, is I just happened to look at the bottle stood on the corner of my desk, and you can see clearly how the two ink types have separated, the thinner dye ink being at the top. Now, I know a good shake should mix it all together again, but the thought crossed my mind, 'Is this going to happen to the ink in the pads too?' Will they separate, or does the pad somehow keep the ink types mixed?

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 09-09-2017 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: typo
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 09-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Sort of slightly off topic, but I thought it worth a mention. I ordered some Oxide pads a while ago, and as the wait was a little longer than expected, the store owner added in a refill bottle of another colour, as a Thank You for waiting. Anyway, the reason I'm mentioning it here, is I just happened to look at the bottle stood on the corner of my desk, and you can see clearly how the two ink types have separated, the thinner dye ink being at the top. Now, I know a good shake should mix it all together again, but the thought crossed my mind, 'Is this going to happen to the ink in the pads too?' Will they separate, or does the pad somehow keep the ink types mixed?
From another thread:

Distress Oxide Ink Pads should be stored flat. Since the formula contains pigment, storing the pads on the sides may result in drawing the ink to the edge of the pad.

Original Distress Ink Pads can be stored flat or on the sides. If storing these pads on the side, just be sure there is no space for the lid to open.

There are currently no plans for a storage container for regular size Distress Ink Pads. Most crafters store them in a drawer, cabinet, on a shelf or in a plastic storage container. It really comes down to what works best for you.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Ranger Industries|Customer Service
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Unread 09-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #15
Proud Fan Club Member

I find this an interesting topic. When we buy a distress refill we do not know how long it has been on the shelf of the retailer.
Unread 09-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
That's the way the ink is supposed to be in the bottles - that came up in a class and in general. LSS employees and teachers said they've not had any problems with ink separation in the pads, though of course Oxides haven't been out for years. : ) Magic 8 Ball says ask again later - like in two years. ; )
shazsilverwolf and maryalena like this post.
Unread 09-09-2017, 11:36 PM   #17
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

And is that not the precise reason why the reinker bottles have those little ball-bearings in them, so that they mix well when you shake them?

Like Joanne I've had several original distress reinkers opened on my shelf for some years and never a problem with any of them. I have read of several people having issues with Aged Mahogany, but it's not one I have. And I agree, if they wanted to give that 6 month guideline any weight they would have to add a bottling date. I've worked in art supplies import and distribution, I know how long stuff can be in a warehouse! But I've always (twice) found their customer support to be excellent.

I got the impression that the reason DOX would need reinking more frequently wasn't that the pads dried out because of any problems with h the pads or inks per se, but rather that they are so juicy that when you use them with any DTP technique or applied to a craft mat, you're taking much more out of them than with regular distress. So it figures that they'd need topping up more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
That's the way the ink is supposed to be in the bottles - that came up in a class and in general. LSS employees and teachers said they've not had any problems with ink separation in the pads, though of course Oxides haven't been out for years. : ) Magic 8 Ball says ask again later - like in two years. ; )
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 09-11-2017, 09:00 PM   #18
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm another that had problems with Aged Mahogany, and for some unknown reason (senile), I had 2 bottles of the stuff. I called Ranger and received 2 bottles as replacement. When I tried them a couple of months later, they were gunky also. Another call to Ranger; the cs rep told me also that this color was their problem child. This was during the time that the last distress colors were being released. The cs rep told me to choose 3 of the new colors, and that I would receive a new ink pad and reinker in one of those colors. I got Twisted Citron , which is what I was secretly hoping to get!

I've had nothing but exemplary service from Ranger - anyone have smushy Perfect Pearls pads? Every issue I've had has been handled in the most courteous fashion to my utmost satisfaction .
Angelnorth likes this post.
Unread 09-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbballfan View Post
I've had nothing but exemplary service from Ranger - anyone have smushy Perfect Pearls pads? Every issue I've had has been handled in the most courteous fashion to my utmost satisfaction .
Ditto. Even though I'm in the UK, when I had an issue with a Spun Sugar pad, the Ranger guys in the US worked hard to understand what was happening with it as well as making sure their UK distributors sent me a replacement. I did have a mushy Perfect Medium pad and the retailer replaced that for me, again no problem at all (which often indicates the retailer has a good relationship with the supplier, I think).

My blog
Unread 09-18-2017, 06:16 AM   #20
Insane Embellisher

My contact to Ranger was also very positive. They sent me a replacement but it was the wrong color, so I had to buy the correct color, but I am still very happy with their customer service. It is great to know that they will stand behind their products!!