Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Distress Ink Blenders are so expensive! (Whining)

I love working with Distress Inks, and I love the "official" Inkssential Blender Tool but they are so expensive! Four to six bucks each depending on where you get them! I know the idea is to take off the foam and switch them out but don't you find that that foam is not so easy to rip off? Especially after a heavy session of tapping and blending? The pad really gets hooked on there. I've torn little bits off the edge of the pad. The pad feels like it's going to tear in half.

I want one blender tool for each color! But that's not gonna happen anytime soon. I already have seventeen colors. (And four blenders)

How do others deal with this? Buy a lot of blender tools and not pay the electric bill or rip the foam pads off?

I've seen all the great posts on how to attach the foam to the bottom of the ink pad with velcro, or put it in a little plastic bag that is velcro-ed to the bottom of the pad. Storing the pads, I get that. Great ideas! But I hate ripping those pads off.

I know. I warned you I was whining.

RR

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-09-2012 at 02:31 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!!! Too funny! I also have 4 tools and dream of one for every pad. That's not going to happen anytime soon! But I sure did get a chuckle hearing someone else whining about it too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I saw a YouTube where someone made something like fifteen blenders for seven bucks out of wood and velcro from the dollar store. They didn't have handles, they were just blocks of wood but it made me think. Could I live without the handle?

I'll find it and post the link. (Am I allowed to do that?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I use blocks of wood with Velcro (hook side) stapled on. I did attach some little spools to my first ones but skipped it on the rest.I don't have one for every color just color groups. I have all the DIs!
Attached Thumbnails
Distress Ink Blenders are so expensive! (Whining)-blender-tools-3-19-2010-1-30-59-pm-2816x2112.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
I use blocks of wood with Velcro (hook side) stapled on. I did attach some little spools to my first ones but skipped it on the rest.I don't have one for every color just color groups. I have all the DIs!
Fab idea for making your own - thanks for sharing. Where I live, the Tool costs nearly $8 Australian which is equivalent to $8 US - hence, I only have one tool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, I forgot to say that because I only have one tool, the velcro has started coming away from the tool from all the pulling off of the foam pad so this thread was just what I needed so I know how to make my own tools
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Homemade Ink Blending Tool (Part 1) - YouTube

and there are a bunch more I have not watched yet. Just search homemade blending tool. Obviously lots of people think that the tools are expensive and don't like ripping off the pads incessantly.

I think I am going to try to make some. Victoria, you have inspired me.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-09-2012 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Check out the ones Becca made:
Just Call Me Thrifty � Tutorials � Amazing Paper Grace
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I have 8 tools. I got the spinner too. I didn't get them all at once, but built up the collection. i LOVE having a lot of them. The foams I got as I went along as well. I have (all) of the distress ink pads...yes, I have an illness... I put a glue dot on the bottom of each pad with the pad for each color. This way I don't have to keep buying the foams. I have even cut the foams into shapes after taking Jennifer McGuire's class..but kept them in a baggie should I want to use the shapes again. You can use makeup wedges for the ink, but for me the foams are easier. I know MANY people have one or two tools and just switch back and forth which works for them. Since I am always using those inks, i invested in the tools. If the velco comes off, you can put a small staple in the middle to adhere it back to the block.. Some people use glossy accents to re-adhere it. Happy distressing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Yowza! This girl used chess pieces as handles!

Chess Blending tool Tutorial - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #11  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subbing

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I have two blending tool handles and one package of 10 pads.
I just wash them with home made stamp cleaner when I finish using them.
I have never had any of them tear when I removed them from the tool.

The pads are 3 years old and still like new .

There are now 45 colors in Distress ink with the new colors ! I don't have the space to store nor the money to buy 45-48 blending tool handles and 5 packages of pads. The blending tools alone are nearly $5 each . 48 blending tools and 10 packages of pads would be close to $300 :shock: Even if you buy them one at a time with 40% off coupons it would still be nearly $200 to buy one for each color.

If the Velcro comes off they sell adhesive backed Velcro at Joanns. Velcro has two strips together when you buy it. Just be sure you attach the "loops" on the tool . If you can't find the adhesive type buy the regular Velcro and hot glue it to the tool

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-09-2012 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Well I made 8 for 3 bucks with change as follows:
from the equivalent of a dollar store, i got for $2 each (1.60US)
one pack of 16 wood blocks
one set of velcro, cut the hook side into 8 pieces
one pack of 20 labels which can be laminated after adding colour/description
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I don't have the space to store nor the money to buy 45-48 blending tool handles and 5 packages of pads.
I don't intend to have one tool per colour, just one for each colour family and one just for black and another just for yellow/light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

I started out with using loose foam, even though I had a homemade handle that I used with felt for alcohol inks. Then I thought I should have a second handle for distress inks, so I got one with a pack of the foam. Maybe I'd had too long to get used to just using pieces of cut 'n' dry foam - I still find it easier to use that than the handle, even if it does mean more ink on my fingers. I just keep the pieces in a box on my desk and can pretty much tell what colours they're for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
That is one of the cutest "make do" projects I have ever seen. My first thought was folk art. I love what you did. Who would want Tim's boring old handle after seeing yours? !

I make my own blending tools too but it's not as cute as spools or chess pieces. Mine is an old vitamin bottle with velcro on the top. I store my foam and felt inside the bottle.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Although I did buy the tool, I almost never use it. I only use it if I'm doing a very large area. Instead, I use finger daubers. They are very inexpensive (less than $1 each for the small, and a little over $2 for the large). I have one for each color. (I use one for all the blues, one for all the greens, etc.) They last a long time. If that isn't cost effective for you, you can just use the Inkssentials foam pads without the holder. It might get a little messy, but it's another alternative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm one that only has two tools and I'm pretty OK with it. I might go up to 4 - MAYBE - for the times I need to use more colors on something, but no more than that. I keep the pads for each color on the bottom of the ink pad, I have all the main colors and then just the spring limited edition ones. The velcro did start coming off my first tool pretty quick so I had my DH use the staple gun to stick it back on and he did the same for the 2nd one before I ever used it. I guess I wouldn't want any more primarily due to space issues... the foams take up much less space than the tools and I'd rather use that space for more ink pads or stamps! LOL. I have noticed that one package of foams that I got that have black fabric on the back instead of blue are REALLY, REALLY AWFUL. They shred very easily, even if I try to take them off very slowly and make sure I have a grip on the fabric before I start pulling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks for all the tips ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

45 colors...Thank you for the reality check, Barbara Jay. Maybe it makes sense to figure out how to switch the pads without endangering their little lives. My aggravation may be making me more aggressive than necessary in tearing them off. GRRR.

You would have to remove that black sticky thing to hot glue the velcro onto the tool, wouldn't you? Has anyone done it? I pulled at one and it seems pretty stuck onto the tool.

In terms of storing the blender pads, I saw how one gal just puts a strip of velcro on the bottom of each ink pad and sticks the appropriate blender pad onto it.

And in a slightly more elaborate version, another puts the pads into a little 2 X 4 labeled ziploc bag and velcro's the bag to the bottom of the ink pad.

I will admit, I would have no problem storing a whole lot of blenders, I have the space. But the thought of having that many does seem a bit like overkill, even if you put aside the expense issue (which is considerable). I've only got 15 or so colors right now, but I doubt I'm going to stop there.

RR

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-10-2012 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I bit the bullet last year during a sale at Joann.com and bought 25 of the tools and three of the spinning caddies to hold them. They stack and sit on my desk, always withing easy reach. I need to pick up a few more next time they are on sale to cover the new limited edition colors.

But now I've noticed that the velcro tends to fall off the blender tools. LOL~ The foam pad is still stuck to the velcro, but but the velcro itself falls off the tool unless it's stapled on.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't read through all the posts so this may already have been mentioned but those who are unmounting their SU stamps could put those blocks to good use making their own distress tools!! A light bulb moment for me but I'm sure someone else has already thought of it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I agree, those blocks would be perfect and some are the perfect size!

I also have an issue with the velcro coming off the wood handles and hot glue didn't work, and I've tried 5 different glues and they didn't work either!

I store the foam pads and fingertip sponge daubers in a plastic plano fishing tackle container with two colors to a section with a piece of cardstock diagonally in between and after a few months, it is working perfectly (I have 3 wood handles!). This container is large enough for all of the colors, but I don't own the seasonal colors.

Last edited by Sew It Seams; 05-10-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I read that to get the velcro to really stick to the wood the best thing would be to use a staple gun. I've unmounted quite a few rubber stamps lately. I just need to buy the velcro side with the hooks in order to make homemade ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Although I did buy the tool, I almost never use it. I only use it if I'm doing a very large area. Instead, I use finger daubers. They are very inexpensive (less than $1 each for the small, and a little over $2 for the large). I have one for each color. (I use one for all the blues, one for all the greens, etc.) They last a long time. If that isn't cost effective for you, you can just use the Inkssentials foam pads without the holder. It might get a little messy, but it's another alternative.
I use finger daubers too even though I made my own blending tool with my vitamin bottle. I am addicted to finger daubers now. They are just so easy and affordable. I bought a big bag of finger daubers off Ebay for $25. Each dauber cost about 60 cents. I think I hit one of those deals that don't happen very often.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I will have to try the daubers. I think I actually have a few around somewhere.

I like the blenders a lot, although I wish there wasn't the need to modify the velcro so that it will stay on. For what you are paying, and the quality level of the rest of the tool, it shouldn't be the case. Tim Holtz! Are you listening?!

I've been reading all the posts and thinking, and I have decided that at this point I need to look realistically at what will allow me to work productively. I know I am not someone who is happy swapping out pads during a work session. So I need enough blenders to accommodate the three or four colors I might be working with, plus a few extras for bursts of inspiration and experimentation. I think if my pad removal is limited to cleanup after I'm done working, I will be more careful and the pads will last fine. I think I'm going to velcro them to the bottom of the pads. I don't consider the pads to be a big expense, so having a designated pad for each color makes sense for me.

So, I have four blenders now and will buy or make a few more. Probably buy, since it's only a few.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Question- is the Ranger Inksensials blending tool any different than the Tim Holtz alcohol ink applicator handle? I just figured out that the reason I never liked my distress inks was because I was applying them with the Alcohol Ink Applicator and felt pads instead of foam (major duh! moment when I realized that). Can I just use the foam pads with the handle I have and get the same quality of results or do I need the Ink blending tool handle to get the best application? I assume that if some of you are happy just using woodblocks with velcro that it doesn't make a difference?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellena317View Post
Question- is the Ranger Inksensials blending tool any different than the Tim Holtz alcohol ink applicator handle? I just figured out that the reason I never liked my distress inks was because I was applying them with the Alcohol Ink Applicator and felt pads instead of foam (major duh! moment when I realized that). Can I just use the foam pads with the handle I have and get the same quality of results or do I need the Ink blending tool handle to get the best application? I assume that if some of you are happy just using woodblocks with velcro that it doesn't make a difference?
Same handle - just the applicators are different. You will love DI with foam!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

well, I am glad I found this out - no wonder I can't get these inks to look like Tim's - LOL

I thought he was using the felt. Ok, now to get some foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks Vic. I tried the foam quickly a few nights ago and it looked SO much better than the felt. I just wanted to make sure the velcro on the bottom was made for the foam as well as felt. I figured if it wasn't, the velcro might come off when I try to remove the foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Regarding the problem with adhering the velcro, there is a gal on another thread about different sponging techniques who says she was able to attach the velcro firmly to the handle using Glossy Accents glue. She says she put the stuff right over the black adhesive strip. I have no experience with Glossy Accents, don't own the stuff, but thought I would pass this along since so many seem to be having velcro adhesive issues. (Again, why? Maybe I should write to TH directly. He can't be unaware of the problem.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I am sure Ranger will address the issue if we contact them -I had two ink pads come off the base and they sent new ink pads and included reinkers, too.

Awesome customer service, and I do hope they come up with a solution and not expect us to replace the ones we already have with a "new" design. That won't happen in my household!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Thanks Vic. I tried the foam quickly a few nights ago and it looked SO much better than the felt. I just wanted to make sure the velcro on the bottom was made for the foam as well as felt. I figured if it wasn't, the velcro might come off when I try to remove the foam.
I don't change mine very often but Tim himself has said to staple (with a staple gun) the Velcro back on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
I didn't read through all the posts so this may already have been mentioned but those who are unmounting their SU stamps could put those blocks to good use making their own distress tools!! A light bulb moment for me but I'm sure someone else has already thought of it!!!
Sorry this is so long, I tend to ramble.
I did this too, just took it a step further.
First off, I always tear off tiny pieces of the sponge when removing them from the blending tool and that drives me crazy. Second, there was no way I could justify spending so much on those blending tools (I have all the colors). Third, I definately don't have the room to store so many of them.
I took the small unmounted blocks I've been saving (knew there would be a good use for them) and glued those little wood candle cups that Michaels and Joanns sell in the wood craft section upside down onto the blocks, I like a little bit of a handle. Viola! a smaller version of the in blending tool.
Now, the bit that saved my sanity is that I don't use velcro. I just put cheap double sided tape on the block and the foam does not shift during use but comes off easily for change ups. Now, I use Ranger's Cut n Dry Foam because it's more economical (get much more pads for less than the cost of the actual pads) so I don't know how the actual blending pads will react with the tape since the backs are sort of fuzzy, hmm, guess I should test that.
I store about 20 of these in a pencil case
Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

I'd love to see a picture of what you made, Deb. They all fit in a pencil case? Am not quite sure of what you did from your description, but it sounds interesting.

I tried the "foam stored on the bottom of the pad" thing yesterday and I did not like it. The velcro I bought is much "hookier" than the stuff on the bottom of the tool, and I felt like ripping the pad off that super-velcro would wear on the pad. Maybe there's a less aggressive velcro out there.

Also didn't like that you can't stack them with the pad on the bottom.

I'd keep the pads in the plastic 10-pack thing they came in, but then you have to label them some way. I can't find a pen that will write even an abbreviation on the side of the pad. I am getting some 2 X 3 ziplocs with label blocks to try (tried ones without but hard to write on them and return address labels don't stick to them).

Truthfully, this is starting to feel borderline crazy. I am spending way too much time on this organizational issue. I usually enjoy organizing my stuff, but this is turning into an OCD loop! I can see the day coming when I give up and buy a crate of blender tools, just to be done with it.

But then how would I organize those? See? Never-ending!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

I was over at Pinterest and saw these great ideas for making Tim's ink blenders and storage for the blenders. I thought of this thread. Here's what I found. Enjoy.

Paper Compulsions: Storage for Distress Ink Foam Pads

How I Store My Tim Holtz Ink Tool “Foamies” & Tutorial � Message in a Paper Box

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

These are both great ideas, DeeAnn! I actually saw a YouTube video that sort of combined them. The girl used strips of velcro across pages of a binder and stuck the pads on those.

Here is the link to that:
Distress ink foam pad storage idea - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

I found another storage idea: Keepsake Crafts - Sharing the Love of Crafting and Sewing � Keepsake Crafts

I am not looking up Distress inks, lol. I am just looking up stamp techniques while I play my game.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Default mini blenders

Hi Rachelrose,
Hey, it worked. It's the first time I've uploaded a pic, had no clue what I was doing,yay.
I'm making a set of 6 of these for my mom. The little wood cups come in a pack of 6 for $1.29 I believe. Just used E-6000 to attach them to the block. One thing is, you definately have to use the cheap double sided tape that's not that sticky, I get the tape at the dollar store. Oh and I tried it with the actual blending pads and it worked but the pad shifted a little because of the fuzzy back.
Deb
Attached Thumbnails
Distress Ink Blenders are so expensive! (Whining)-photo_d41843bf-8d0e-5389-8bae-7504bf89c5b2-480x640-.jpg  

Last edited by fairdragon; 05-14-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairdragonView Post
Hi Rachelrose,
Hey, it worked. It's the first time I've uploaded a pic, had no clue what I was doing,yay.
I'm making a set of 6 of these for my mom. The little wood cups come in a pack of 6 for $1.29 I believe. Just used E-6000 to attach them to the block. One thing is, you definately have to use the cheap double sided tape that's not that sticky, I get the tape at the dollar store. Oh and I tried it with the actual blending pads and it worked but the pad shifted a little because of the fuzzy back.
Deb
Those are very cute. There is a difference in the density of the blending foam pads and the Cut n Dry Foam. Tim has said that with some techniques it makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes