Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Default Digital Scrapbooking

I'm not sure I even understand the digital scrapbooking thing. How much do the individual pages cost to have printed once you design them in a program like the new one from SU or CTMH?

It just seems like it would take all the fun out of scrapbooking, or is it just me?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Digital scrapbooking is just as much fun and takes just as much creative juices to make a page (and can get just as expensive). The best part of it tho is that you never use up your stash and you have as many "do-overs" as you like to get your page just perfect. I generally do my digital pages 8x8 so I can print them at home on good quality photo paper. You can take them to places like Costco that will print 12x12 for you. I don't know how much they charge, but I'm sure if you call a shop near you they will tell you whether they can print 12x12 and the cost. There are also some on-line places that will print 12x12. Also, check out some of the websites dedicated to digital scrapbooking (easy to find from google). Some of them offer printing services as well.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have been doing my pages 8 1/2 x 11 so I can use my printer at home. And I have just as much fun creating a digital page as I do using traditional methods. I actually like it better in some ways. I can resize, move things around, all without actually cutting into any paper. So, there is no "waste" when I end up changing my layout. Plus, for me, I can get a digital page done faster. When you have a ton of pictures you want to catch up on that can be a nice feature. But, I understand that the digital scrapping thing doesn't appeal to everyone. I'm glad I tried it, though, because I love it.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I am a dem who just return from Su convention. I was very impressed with the new program, My Digital Studio, that will be released soon. It looked very easy to use and had lots of features I liked, like tones of digital images of our stamps, designer papers, etc. You will be able to print it out yourself on your printer but the colors won't necessarily be true to the SU colors, including our In colors. Although I asked several people at convention how much it would cost to have "our" printer, through SU, print and bind the book, no one would or could tell me since that is one of the things that is still pending. The books are really slick looking though and lend themselves to further embellishment, should you choose to do so. I don't have a laptop...yet...to demonstrate this with, but certainly am shopping for one now! It looks fun and easy and FAST!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by InkeePhingersView Post
... digital images of our stamps, designer papers, etc. ...
I'm wondering if the "digital supplies" for this software will be compatible with digital scrapbooking industry standards and software such as Photoshop/Photoshop Elements/Corel PaintShop Pro? or will they proprietary to the SU software?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Yes they will be compatible with Photoshop and other digital photo software. They will not be shareware however, meaning you cannot copy it and share with others. The program comes on DVD/disks for either PC's or Macs. All our FAQ's say that it works alone or with other digital photo programs if you want further enhancements.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Are you going to be able to use other companies kits in the program as well?

Thanks!
Sherry
Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
I'm not sure I even understand the digital scrapbooking thing. How much do the individual pages cost to have printed once you design them in a program like the new one from SU or CTMH?

It just seems like it would take all the fun out of scrapbooking, or is it just me?
I see your point. Right now I only make cards or other art projects.

In the last several years, we have been taking only digital photos and that's why I think if I scrapbook, I will go digital.

I'll still have that tactile experience and fun of making cards, but the scrapbooking aspect won't have to invade my cardmaking territory!!

Actually, I've never been much of a scrapbook fan -- unless it's the really old-fashioned type where you're not just embellishing photos or creating a pleasant way to show your photos off, but also includes 3D "scraps" -- souvenirs, ticket stubs, etc., from events, occasions or travels -- and captioning or journaling of course.

But since my photos are now digital, it might be fun to digitally "scrapbook" them rather than simply printing them and putting them in albums.

Also, I was thinking of trying a Shutterfly or Snapfish service - anyone else doing that? I'm anxious to see the SU software, too.

If I were a scrapbooker already, didn't do other papercrafts, and really enjoyed the creative and tactile process, I can't imagine that I would like digital scrapbooking at all. Comfort with a computer would also be a significant factor.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post

I have scrapbooked both ways and find the cost to be about the same, but there are pros and cons to both:

Traditional: better for those who like hands-on creativity, fun to get together with others, no computer glitches...but costs more to get started for tools, product, storage, etc..especially if you're a stamper. Takes up a lot of time and space and makes a mess, and you still have to have photos printed first. Pages cost between $3-10(and up) with papers, embellishments, photos and protectors. And, if you`re like me, you end up making more cards and other things with all that stuff and still never get your scrapbboks done! It is FUN though....definitely for those who want something in their hands or to get together in groups or workshops.

Digital: Doesn't require inventory or shopping trips to Michaels, you can arrange and rearrange pages without wasting product, you can use your "papers and embellishments" over and over again and never run out, no storage/space issues, no mess, takes less time once you get to know the program, and no running out of adhesive! Upload pics and size or edit them to fit your layouts, printing can be done at home (more expensive when you factor in paper and ink, especially with 12x12) or by the pros (shop around for best price and quality) Multiple copies are very easy for duplicate albums. Real 3D embellishments and stamps can be added later if you prefer the "feel". Also is FUN if you`re comfortable with the computer....however, it is a solo sport.

Both Traditional and Digital scrapbook pages can have the same look, depending on what types of papers and embellishments you use. The creative process is the same, just the method is different.

I don`t know what SU cost will be, but I know CTMH StudioJ.com pages will cost $15.95(CAN) for a 2 page spread (choice of all their layouts, papers and embellishments included), which will be printed and delivered to you with a page protector. No program to buy or elements to download, its all done on their site (so it won`t eat up your memory either) and you are not charged anything until you actually order prints, so you can play before you pay at no risk.

If you are new to digital scrapbooking, CTMH will be the perfect way to "try" it out without having to purchase any software. Promo website is up now, but release isn't until early 2010.

Prersonally, I will continue to do both. There are some things I would never give up my computer for (journalling, scanning etc), and some things that just require glue! It's all good!

Oops, sorry...Didn't mean for this to be so long!
My gallery ~ My Blog ~ My website
Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a digital scrapper. I tried traditional scrapbooking and it was fun, but then I decided to make my first Shutterfly book - just using their templates. It was fun and I liked the look of it but wanted more control over the layouts and wanted to add embellishments, so I started downloading kits (lots of free ones), making my own papers and my own embellishments and got started. I now love digi-scrapping. I find it is less expensive, as I can re-use my papers and embellishments over and over again, and it is so easy to be able to make one book and get 5 copies of it done. I just love being able to open Photoshop and get my pages done, being able to crop a photo then saying "Nope, doesn't look good" and be able to do it again without having to print a new photo. I like re-arranging things, doing titles in 5 fonts without having to cut letters with the sizzix 5 different times to see which I liked best. I just think it is a better fit for ME. I am not one to go to scrapbooking parties though. My sister is a traditional scrapbooker, and she loves it just as I love digital scrapbooking.

I print my pages 8x8 myself at home on our photo printer. I bought the Inkpress Matte 80 paper and was amazed and happy with how wonderful and professionally printed the results look - plus the Matte 80 was an awesome price, and I could get it already trimmed to 8x8! I invested in a YourStory (now wishing I had waited a few months since they are now on sale!) and I buy the 8x8 album covers for $5 online. I added up the cost per page, and not including the initial investment of the YourStory, my books cost around $15 for a 20 page book. Most of my kits are free or very inexpensive - but the majority are free. Each additional page only costs me about .50 to print. So to me it's cost effective, I like that I don't have to pay $1 per page extra like I would on Shutterfly, and if I want to do a smaller book I can, if I want to do a larger book I can.

You could always download some free kits, and try it out without investing. See if you like it. If you do, give it a whirl, if not, have fun with the traditional.

Personally I think that since a lot of us make our backgrounds, make our embellishments, and still have to put it all together, the skill level is the same as traditional scrapbooking, it's just in a different format.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Default You

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Also, I was thinking of trying a Shutterfly or Snapfish service - anyone else doing that? I'm anxious to see the SU software, too.
I have done about 8 books through Shutterfly. I've looked at Snapfish and Ofoto -now Kodak Gallery- and I even tried one book through Kodak a couple years ago.

Shutterfly is always months ahead of every other service in terms of what they offer to digital scrappers online. I have shown others who make photobooks online what is offered at Shutterfly, and they have, every one of them, switched to Shutterfly. (Not affiliated, just a MOST happy customer.)

I would definitely recommend that you try a photobook from Shutterfly before considering buying any digital software. Here's why:

1) Shutterfly offers a photo storage and editing program for you to work with your photos on your own computer before you even upload them to Shutterfly. The program is certainly no Photoshop, but it works very well for cropping, red-eye, alignment and other basic alterations.

2) Shutterfly will store you images online, for free, basically forever. In the ultimate worst case scenario- you lose all the pictures in your albums, lose all the pictures on your computer and lose all the CDs/flashdrives/etc where you had you images backed-up, you will still be able to get copies of your pictures.

3) Shutterfly has, by far, the most extensive and most versatile online scrapping available. More page options, more layouts, more color schemes, more everything a digital scrapper wants, than any other online free service.

4) Using Shutterfly online to create a photobook is REALLY easy. The "Learning curve" is virtually flat- Shutterfly explains everything and making a book is simple and quick if you want it to be, or you can get really creative.

5) The finished products from Shutterfly are such great quality. Every time I've made a book, friends and relatives are amazed at how beautiful the books are, how well made they are, and they think I spent weeks/months on what actually took hours.

If you LIKE making a book through Shutterfly, you will like digi-scrapping. If you DON'T like making a book at Shutterfly, you will probably HATE digi-scrapping, since doing it yourself is definitely more difficult and time-consuming, especially as you are learning.

If you'd like to see a Shutterfly photobook example, I have posted one of mine on the Shutterfly gallery, and you can see it HERE.

Sorry if I got long-winded, but a) I love Shutterfly, and b) I truly feel it is the easiest, most effective and inexpensive way to tip-toe into digital scrapping without any financial outlay other than a finished book.

HTH
Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I thought that I would add my 2 cents. Creative Memories has a wonderful program called StoryBook Creator. It comes as a free download from the Creative Memories web site so that you can try it out. They also have other versions that can be purchased. I LOVE this software and have created a few books with it. The pricing depends on how many pages and what size and what type of material that you want the covers made from.

If you have any other questions PM me and I will see how else I can help.

Jamie
Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

TO tchk, re: Shutterfly -- Sorry for the long post??? You have got to be kidding me!!!

THANK YOU so so so so much for the long post!! For taking the time to give such a good explanation and description!! It is the news I was looking for . I am going to Shutterfly my little ol' heart out LOL!!

Really.. sounds like something I do want to try and your testimonial is music to my ears .

Thanks again!!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I am very excited SU is going to offer the digital scrapbooking. I used to do traditional scrapbooking but it got too ovewhelming with all the products and pictures laying around. I have about 3 unfinished scrapbooks and I just can't and won't bring myself to start again. I am saving money now because I want to get the new digital software from SU. I love SU papers and accessories and I am hoping that it will be easy to use.

Off topic question (hope it isn't a dumb one): with my digital studio, will we be able to print off designer paper or an image to use with card making?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Default Digital scrapbooking

Subbing
Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
...Off topic question (hope it isn't a dumb one): with my digital studio, will we be able to print off designer paper or an image to use with card making?
Well if the reports are true, then you should be able to print out any digital papers that you can get from SU. Unless of course all the materials are pre-made templates that all you do is drop in your pictures. If that's the case, then you wouldn't be able to print out individual papers. I'm reserving my judgement on this product until I can see it in action. I've been a digital scrapbooker and designer for 5 years and I'm curious to see if SU is actually going to provide real "digitals scrapbooking" products or just templates. I'm not really a big fan of SU so I have my doubts as to the usefulness of this product.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

From what I saw at convention, there are several "templates" for scrapping but you can also customize. You will also be able to make your own cards, calendars, gifts. I don't know if this will work with other companies' digital scrapping programs but will work with other photo programs. You can also, once it is printed, use some of our other products to customize your pages further...add embellishments that lend dimension...and still get a page that is coordinated! I'm sure other digital programs are good too...but I saw this one in action and it sold me.