Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which DieCut Machine is the best and why?

I want to buy a die cut machine, but there are so many out there to choose from. I have heard of a few, but not too much about them. Portable, plugged to computer, is there a difference? Is there a advantage to any of them?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you narrow it down a bit? Are you looking for a manual machine (Cuttlebug, Big Shot, Big Kick, Wizard, etc.) or an electric/computer-type (Cricut, Silhouette, Klic-n-Kut, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Something else to think about - what do you want to cut? Paper? Cardstock? Vellum? Thicker stuff such as chipboard, felt or magnetic sheet? Not all cutters can cut everything, and neither can all dies. For example, I use a Big Shot; the thick dies can cut all the things I listed, but the thin dies (e.g. Sizzlits) will only cut vellum, paper and cardstock reliably.

Another consideration - do you need to be able to cut the same shape in different sizes or are you OK to be restricted to fixed sizes? If multiple sizes are important to you then you're looking at something electronic (or maybe a set of Nestabilities in a manual machine for the simple shapes only). If you're OK with the shape or letter being in a fixed size, then manual will do.

You've probably seen already that there's a vast amount of info and opinions online about the pros and cons of various machines. Have a think about what you want to be able to cut, and if possible, have a play with friends' machines or sample machines in shops. Then research the machines which can do the most important things which you want. There's no simple answer to 'which is the best', like so many things, there's a big element of personal taste/preference involved.

To try and answer your original question; portable machines are just that. Many are manual, but a few are electronic (e.g. the Cricut). The Cricut's cutting instructions are held in a plug in cartridge, so you can only cut the patterns which are on the cartridge (although there is a new gadget out which lets you - I think - adapt the patterns. It's not available here yet so I haven't seen what it can do). Other machines such as the Klic n Kut must be plugged into a computer and you can download your patterns from the computer to the cutter. The advantage is that they are the ultimate versatile cutting tool (and you don't have to keep buying pattern cartridges or dies) but the disadvantage is that they are (literally) tied to the computer so you can't take your cutter out to crops unless you take the computer too. As I said, it's a matter of deciding what you believe you want to do with it and then finding out which cutters fit the bill. Maybe start with something cheap and simple, find out whether you become a die cut addict and be prepared to upgrade when and if you think it's worthwhile?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 03:41 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I have used a Cuttlebug once. I like the idea of cartridges, but not the narrow options with them. Unless there isn't that narrow choice.

I plan on just working with paper and cardstock, nothing thicker than that I believe. I like the option of different sizes. So does that narrow my options to not manual machines?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 04:10 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I have a bigshot and I'm buying the Making Memories slice electronic cutter. I did have a Cricut Expression but it was just too big and I never used it, so I sold it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 04:15 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to that question. You really need to figure out what you will need your machine to do. I have a Cricut Expression and a Big Kick, and I use and love them both. My best advice is to do your research and read reviews so that you can make an informed decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with the previous poster. You have to figure out what your specific needs are. Research what is available, and read a lot of user reveiws which will help you to get an idea of pros and cons.

I've had a Wizard for years, and do not like the limitations of manual cutting machines. Since I bought the nesties, I've pretty much stopped buying more dies.

I know I want an electronic machine, but i've been mulling over which one will best suit me for years. New things are always coming out. I have no need to rush the decision. I've probably narrowed it down to 3 or 4 choices. But this time last year, I would have bought something totally different to what I'm thinking of today.:mad:

Don't rush it, think it over long and hard and learn as much as you can about the different options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like someone else stated. It's not easy to decide. Which one. It's persona Taste I think.

Do you want something that will plug in and cut different sizes? Do you want something that is easy to use?

Do you want something that is easy to carry with you? Cost?

These are all things to take inconsideration when buying a Die Cut Machine.

I personal use The Cuttlebug, Cause it's easy to use, easy to carry with me.
I can use many different Die cuts and Embossing folders.

And the cost.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffsgirlieView Post
I have used a Cuttlebug once. I like the idea of cartridges, but not the narrow options with them. Unless there isn't that narrow choice.

I plan on just working with paper and cardstock, nothing thicker than that I believe. I like the option of different sizes. So does that narrow my options to not manual machines?
It depends. Are you wanting to emboss paper? Use Nesties? (that can cut, emboss, use as a stencil, etc) Or are you ok with not embossing, and not using Nesties?

I currently have a Big Kick. I LOVE it. I have quite a few sets of Nesties, several sets of alphabets (that I got in a kick-butt sale like others here for $9.99 per set). Mostly I love to be able to emboss - it makes such a difference in cards. I've been very happy with my Big Kick for the past several years, but have been saving lately to get a digital die cutter called the Gazelle. It's expensive, thus the constant saving, but I think I will get my money out of it.

If you are considering going digital/electronic for a die-cutter, there are more things to consider. Do you want to create your own shapes and cut them? Do you want to have cartridges? Are you a designer? Do you know image programs relatively well, like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, etc? Do you want it to be portable or will it only be used at home?

I chose the Gazelle because there are no cartridges. I use Photoshop so learning the software isn't an issue. I can make my own images, use my own designs, or download designs off the Internet - some for free, some for a fee. I don't need it to be portable, because I won't be taking it anywhere. I didn't want to buy cartridges. I liked the option of the print-and-cut feature and honestly it was THAT feature that sold me on the Gazelle. I can print out my stuff on my printer, stick it in my Gazelle and it will cut it out.

If you want to use cartridges, want it to be portable, don't want print-and-cut, then a Cricut might be a better option.

There are just SO many choices out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

What are some pros and cons about the machines you have used?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I LOVE my personal cricut. With carts, I can take it anywhere, but with the scal software, I have a limitless variety of images to cut. The only downside I can think of is that I can't emboss, so I do a lot of freehand dry embossing. I guess I will be picking up some templates soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I decided on a Silhouette SD. I love it. The range of shapes is amazing. I also got a cuttlebug for embossing as well as a xyron 500 sticker machine. They make my scraping easy and fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 178 Likes on 119 Posts

Good Question - which to get they keep releasing new versions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I personally will always love my cuttlebug the most, it allows cutting of simple/thin materials but it also dry embosses (sure beats the old fashion way of doing it by hand.) In Nov Hubby surprised me with the Cricut Create and I also love it, never paid more then 29.00 for a cart and with all the creative options it seems like an awesome deal. I do plan on looking into the expression2 when it is released. Good luck and never allow the cost of carts to detour you from looking at the cricut becasue if you try - you can be sure to never pay more then 1/2 cost for carts. I didn't want a machine hooked up to my PC- I like being able to take it to crops and to friends houses to use. It is also so easy to use my 3 yr old can help me when just playing around. Best of luck making your decision- take your time and make the right choice for you and only you and your needs.
Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #15  

Received 847 Likes on 280 Posts

I have a Big Shot and love it. What do I love about it?

I love that:

I can cut through multiple pieces of card stock at a time

I can cut thicker materials and fabric when using a Sizzix rule based die (the thick ones)

I can dry emboss with a HUGE variety of embossing folders

It's portable

It doesn't require electricity

Customer service is great!

I don't love that:

some of the larger dies are quite expensive

That over time I'm going to have to come up with some very creative storage solutions because my fairly large drawer that I currently store them in is almost full and they take up a lot of space.

So..really you need to decide what types of things you want to do the most and take it from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #16  

I think you have gotten great advice here so far so I will just chime in with my experience with my machines:

I have a cricut expression:
I love the ease of use
I don't buy carts at full price but find great deals on ebay on them AND I share between my sister and I so that saves some money as well.
I love the cute designs they come out with and quite frankly- I don't think I am that creative or patient to do it on a computer!!!
It is portable- I have a cricut bag that I use so i don't damage mine when I take it to crops.
I love being able to adjust size to fit whatever need I may have.

I have Big Shot Pro:
I love the ease of use
Adorable dies- and you can basically use any die there is- it is just getting the right "sandwhich" in the machine.
I love being able to emboss and as a scrapbooker- I can wait until for the 12X12 embossing dies!!!!!!
Con with the big shop pro: HEAVY!!! I won't be taking this to any crops!!!!! (even as I say heavy- I feel disloyal to my loved pro!!! It is heavy but well made!!!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know I am in the minority, but I'm in the "Keep it Simple" camp. I bought my much loved Cuttlebug a couple of years ago at Mike's with a coupon for around $40, and have lived happily ever after with it. It embosses and cuts cardstock and paper, which is what I use on my cards. I don't do much with chipboard or other materials, so I don't need a more heavy duty machine like the Big Shot.

I use it on almost every card I make, either with the embossing folders or various dies. I have a pretty good selection of Nesties in basic shapes and labels, with a few fancy ones thrown in. I have dies for scalloped borders and ric rac dies in a couple of sizes. Lately I'm loving the Papertrey dies to match their stamp sets and have purchased several.

I have a limited space for crafting and the size and simple operation of the Cuttlebug work well for me. So far, I haven't wanted any kind of Cricut machine, or the ones that work on your computer with software, like the Pazzle or Silhoutte. (I'm retired, and learning how to use a program on my computer and using software seems like work to me.)

I just want to color in the coloring book and cut things out.:mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have:
Cuttlebug...my most used tool...very easy to get out and use.
Big Shot...for some reason I dont use this one hardly ever
Grand Caliber a birthday gift from a friend.
Slice Elite. I love this little unit...it is perfect.

blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have Cricut small, expression, slice.
Do you my cricut but use it more with MTC or SCAL
but now with the changes that cricut made, I think i might save for a silhoutte, but will use cricut as much as I can before buying ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #20  
KLF
Kookie Creator

I just had to get a Cricut when they first came out, but I don't use it very often anymore. I find it a bit of a pain to use and, as others have said, cartridges are expensive. A year ago I got a Big Shot and I love it. Mostly I use nesties (keep buying more) and embossing folders. For a cardmaker, I think it (and similar machines) are more useful, but it would really depend on what you want the machine to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Pros and Cons?

I own several machines. 3 manual, one digital

My manual machines are the Sizzix family. I started with the tiny sidekick - I wouldn't really recommend buying it. The Big Kick can do everything the Sidekick can and SO much more. At the time though, it was what I could get. Then I upgraded to the Sizzix Press which is an outdated machine now and not something I would recommend either (although I love it and still use it, it is not as versatile as most current machines).

I own the Big Kick - the regular one.

Pros:
It's versatile
It's affordable
It's sturdy
It's easy to use
It's easy to take to crops
It works WONDERFUL!

Cons:
It's not going to take the Spellbinders Grand or the Sizzix Bigz Pro dies.
The dies are bulky and do take up storage space

My digital machine is a Bosskut Gazelle

Pros:
It's an amazing machine
Compared to other machines it is a little more expensive ($389 right now) but COMPLETELY worth it
It has wonderful, amazing customer and technical support
It is software based, no cartridges to store
It cuts a true 12" wide
Can cut up to 80" long
Can cut from thin vellum to medium weight chipboard
You can engrave, emboss (but not dry embossing-folder quality)
It's pink!

Cons:
It's a little loud. And it can't cut really thick chipboard. That's it! Those are my only cons.

My next machine purchase will be the Big Shot Pro Westminster Edition. It will replace my Big Kick/Sidekick/Sizzix Press. I'm very excited!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I have Cricut Expression and Big Shot.

I'm very happy with my Big Shot and I think a manual machine is indispensable if you want to do embossing. Also if money is a concern, one could always start with a manual and then take it from there.

I was very happy with my Cricut but lately have realized that it doesn't cut intricate cuts very well. I mainly use it with SCAL so that I can cut my own designs - no carts here. That said I do use it regularly and have no plans of changing it since I recently bought it. It gives me a lot of flexibility because I can cut any shape/design as long as I've an image for it. Once I had the cricut I stopped buying any of the nestabilities and just used their SVG counterparts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffsgirlieView Post
I want to buy a die cut machine, but there are so many out there to choose from. I have heard of a few, but not too much about them. Portable, plugged to computer, is there a difference? Is there a advantage to any of them?
I have a BigKick, an Original Sizzix, and an eCraft...so I'm pretty much covered in the die cut machine area! Love each of the machines for what they do. Went with the eCraft for an electronic machine mainly because there's no sticky mat. Like the fact that they have individual designs from the cartridges on their site for sale (most are around $1.00), so I can get the images I want and don't have to purchase the full cartridge. Since Cricut has now 'outlawed' the use of SCAL and MTC programs (eCraft doesn't), I'm very happy with my decision.

If there's anyway you can 'test drive' the machines (local store, maybe?), I strongly recommend your doing that.

If you do get an electronic machine, be sure to check Etsy for cartridges. I found one I really wanted for my eCraft at less than half the retail price. The package had never been opened, so I was more than delighted with the purchase.

Last edited by craftdesigns; 04-07-2011 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes