Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Die Cut Question or Insane idea #206783

Ok, so I've got this Big Shot, quite a few dies, and well, yeah. I like it. It's fun.

I've also got a ton of small scraps of paper (some I bought that way for a project I can't even remember. I know... I know...

So, I was just sitting here thinking about it all, contemplating the meaning of life, you know, navel gazing, and had a brilliant (don't laugh, I need the illusion) idea. Maybe.

Take those scraps, put them on the machine, cut them into shapes, file them in some incredibly brilliant fashion, and have them waiting for me when the time comes to need a die... you know, like when I'm working on something and my five year old Lorna comes in and says, "Oh, can I have one?"

I'd like to think that I'd use them for more than distracting an eager would-be crafter, but even if I didn't... surely it'd be fun to cut and organize and dole out at appropriate times, no?

If not, is there any legitimate reason to have pieces of paper smaller than 6" square, and if so, how on earth does one organize the blasted things?

Let me down gently... tell me if I want to play with my toys, to actually use them in constructive ways. Have a little compassion on my poor nerves!

*sobs, hands over face*

*peeks one eye between fingers as she waits to learn the fate of her scraps*
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #2
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

You could get an expandable file thingy (there are ones smaller than the regular file size but larger than the coupon ones...I have one for my embossing folders) and file your scraps that way.

It's not a bad idea to do some die-cutting or punching ahead of time...I punch shapes out of my "under-layers" when I do mats. You never know there are holes underneath, I save paper, plus I have pre-punched shapes to play with and add to projects later. Sometimes I just look at the pre-punched shapes to see what I can come up with.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

Chautona....A 6 inch square paper can be cut down for use as the mat on an A2 card.

Small pieces of paper are what should be used in your manual die cut machines so you don't wast cutting into larger ones that can be used as card bases.

Since many of the pieces of a die are very small, this is a good place to use your smaller scraps of paper.

I save all paper scraps unless they are less than about 1.5 inches. It's a waste of paper to throw them away.

Cutting shapes at random unless they are a shape you know you will use on a card (in my opinion) is a waste. You may never use them and that's a waste of paper.

If you are in a die cut mood, then ok, go ahead of cut some shapes, but then use them to make a set of cards to give to someone.

You can organize your scraps in color families so they are easy to find to match up with a base card later. A box or expandable file (as has been mentioned) works fine. Just use a divider between the color familes.

Patti
Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Insane Embellisher

get your favorite punches and punch away while you are watching TV or contemplating your navel. Maybe you could save the bellybutton lint and make paper out of it or get a loom and weave it...hey, people do it with animal hair ! I'm of the belief you can never have too many flower punches. A pack of plain punched flowers (80) is at least $4 at HL. Look, now you 've saved money too !

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Since there are a variety of opinions, I think I'll do SOME of the scraps and see what happens. It'll be n experiment in how I think. Oh wait, I don't do that, do I. I distinctly remember Mom saying, "That's the problem, Chautona, you don't think."

*eyes her pile of scraps with what can only be described as fiendish delight.*
Old 04-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

I keep punchies and die cuts in hardware parts cabinets. I have at least 3 of them and am always wishing I had more (and more space for more) -- and I use the parts! I, too, cut die pieces to use in future. And I use my scrap paper for dies and punchies until there's nothing but fibers left. I'm a recycler of the worst sort.

Cindy/CA
Old 04-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Rubber Obsessor

I keep my scraps of all sizes for about 2-3 months in a basket I keep under my desk. When I make cards I first go to my scrap basket for stamping paper, possible borders, frames, etc.
After a few months I figure I'm not going to use it and sort it out. I share these extras with other crafters...usually my mom
It keeps things fresh and moving so I don't get tired of looking at them.

I tried the cutting ahead of time but inevitably the die-cuts I wanted weren't the right colors for whatever I was working on.

Ink Stains
Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonijjView Post
I tried the cutting ahead of time but inevitably the die-cuts I wanted weren't the right colors for whatever I was working on.
You nailed it... right there. I'm afraid that this will be the case.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChautonaView Post
You nailed it... right there. I'm afraid that this will be the case.
Yeah...I think I ended up using 2-3 of the die-cuts I made out of 100+... I donated the rest to my sons elementary art teacher. She was tickled to get them as were the kids so at least they didn't go to waste.

Ink Stains