Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default die cut machines

which would everyone recommend for a die cut machine?
Have no clue about any of them and want something simple and not complicated to use.

Just for card making and basic scrapbooking.
I like to use the dies and the embossing folders.
Thanks
amy
[email protected]

p.s. I have the big shot now.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

You said you have the Big Shot, which is a die cutting machine. Do you not like using your Big Shot?

I have the Cuttlebug which I use for die cutting, with Nesties and also use the Cuttlebug embossing folders in it. It's small and easy to set up on my table and then move it when I'm done.

Lots of folks seem to want to upgrade from the Cuttlebug to the Big Shot, so wondered why you would want to go the other way.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Die Cut Diva

I recently got a Cuttlebug. I would have went for a Big Shot or a Big Kick but economics played a major role and I went with the $39 Amazon deal.

Why don't you like cutting with your Big Shot?

Vic
Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Glitter Queen

I do like my Big Shot. Looking for something for my mother in law and wasnt sure if there was anything less complicated and simple.
Wasn't sure if the big shot was the best way to go. Don't know much about the other products out there.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Glitter Queen

Michaels has the bug on sale for 40% off this week. I just picked mine up today but I can't use yet it since I don't have a tan mat. What ever that is???
Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

The Tan mat is used in the embossing stage of dies .
It is made by Spellbinders and sold at Hobby Lobby and in the section where they sell the Spellbinders dies .

You don't need a Tan mat to emboss Cuttlebug folders or to cut Cuttlebug dies

If you are cutting and embossing Spellbinder Nestibilities the directions for using them with a Cuttlebug are in the package.
Hope this helps

There is a huge thread at the top of the "Tools & Equipment" section on all the features of the Cuttlebug
Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #7
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't think any of the other die cut machines are any less 'complicated' than the Big Shot. Each machine works pretty much the same way, just looks or operates differently. Unless an electric machine is easier, that eliminates the need to crank a handle to feed the cutting plates through. Not sure what it's called though...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
The Tan mat is used in the embossing stage of dies .
It is made by Spellbinders and sold at Hobby Lobby and in the section where they sell the Spellbinders dies .

You don't need a Tan mat to emboss Cuttlebug folders or to cut Cuttlebug dies

If you are cutting and embossing Spellbinder Nestibilities the directions for using them with a Cuttlebug are in the package.
Hope this helps

There is a huge thread at the top of the "Tools & Equipment" section on all the features of the Cuttlebug
Thank you Barbara for the info.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Kookie Creator

I love my big shot & would not swap it for anything else
Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Matboard Maniac

I've never used anything else, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I love my Cuttlebug. It's perfect for cards and smaller scrapbook elements. Everyone's embossing folders work in it really well and you can use many company's dies in it as well. It's just got the three types of plates, so it's pretty easy to figure out how to use.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
Inking Addict

I love my Cuttlebug! I had no experience with die cuts at all. And then I got the Expression with SCAL as a gift from my DH. I liked it a LOT, but wanted to add a bit more dimension and found a great deal on the Bug. I still use my Expression for big projects or very intricate cuts - but use my bug with embossing folders and nestabilities much more! Easy to pack up and store away when I am working on larger progects with the E.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Stampin' Fool

I've had my CB for years, and have trouble getting a clean impression w/the Fiskars plates. I also would like to try some of the new Tim Holtz steel dies and the longer dies in my machine so I've been thinking about the new Vagabond machine since it's so powerful and will also take the Nestabilities. I've watched the videos and was pretty impressed.

Have any of you seen it in person?? If so, what did you think?? It's made by Ellison (same as Sizzix).
Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlerontheroofView Post
I've never used anything else, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I love my Cuttlebug. It's perfect for cards and smaller scrapbook elements. Everyone's embossing folders work in it really well and you can use many company's dies in it as well. It's just got the three types of plates, so it's pretty easy to figure out how to use.
I agree with you. I got my Bug several years ago with a coupon at Mikes and have used it in some fashion on most every card I've made since. Plus on lots and lots of other crafts, comp. books etc.

When the Nesties came out, I was so glad they worked in the CB and I didn't have to buy a new machine of some kind.

It's user friendly, small and easy to store and move around. Hooray for the Bug!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
Hardware Hotshot

I love my cuttlebug-I got it as a gift. But my daughter found it for 1/2 price at Michael's about two years ago. I know LOTS of people also love the Big Shot. The cuttlebug now has extended plates for use in dies like the longer SU ones.

I didn't know what the tan mat was either! Thanks! I have had trouble with nesties in my bug. The directions that came with my machine were minimal. It didn't say anything about the dies cutting into the plates. I thought I had ruined my plate until someone here at SCS told me otherwise!

I like that you can get the bug for about $40.00 on sale.
Im too practical to pay $75.00 to $100.00 for a die cut machine of any kind!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #15
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandyh124View Post
I love my Cuttlebug! I had no experience with die cuts at all. And then I got the Expression with SCAL as a gift from my DH. I liked it a LOT, but wanted to add a bit more dimension and found a great deal on the Bug. I still use my Expression for big projects or very intricate cuts - but use my bug with embossing folders and nestabilities much more! Easy to pack up and store away when I am working on larger progects with the E.

I have the exact same situation/set up as sandyh124. Cuttlebug for smaller stuff, and expression hooked to computer w/ SCAL (not paying the outrageous costs for little cartridges). Wanted a Big Shot just because of the BigZ XL dies that SU sells. But found that Cuttlebug offered extended plates. However, after buying them, found that they are and inch too short still. So I bought a sheet of same thickness acrylic at plastic place and cut it down to size myself . My only limitations are texture plates that are wider than 6" as the CuttleBug only feeds things thru 6" or less. (Big Shot is 8" wide)

If ease, and simplicity is your thing, get the Big Shot -- or if you like the fold up storage and don't mind that there are just a few things you can't cut without some adaptations - then get the CuttleBug.

If you want a electronic MACHINE like the Cricut -- don't bother with the personal one. Get an Expression. But you will spend a LOT on cartridges unless you hook it up to your computer and buy the program SCAL . With all the Cricut machines you will be troubled with the cutting mats loosing stick, and either buy a bunch of em or get pretty good with the repositionable glues. I have no idea about the Quick Kutz machines or any of the other more price ones.