In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Polyshrink Goddess
 
jkminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bountiful, utah
Posts: 500
Default Dew Drops Question?????

Can you color clear dew drops? or do you have to have the different colors? I have a lot of the clear and was wondering about maybe being able to color them.

Hugs
Jaunice
jkminor is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,812
Default

Yes, you can color clear ones. Use a Sharpie, Bic, or Copic permanent marker, and color only the bottom. The color will reflect through when you put it on your paper.
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess
 
jkminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bountiful, utah
Posts: 500
Default

kewl... I will try that..I have lots of clear ones and with clear you can have any color you need.

Hugs
Jaunice
jkminor is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
 
Cook22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 113,075
Default

Sometimes what I do is punch a tiny circle (can't remember right now, but one of my small punches is perfect) of coloured card and stick that underneath. Then even if you're fixing it to coloured or patterned card, the colour of the Dew Drop is still true. And with coloured Dew Drops I use a little circle of white.
Cook22 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
Die Cut Diva
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,566
Default

You can also color them with Alcohol Reinkers. Tim Holtz reinkers.
__________________

lylacfey is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 42
Default

I color them with any alcohol ink or re-inker.

I have a variety of colors stored in containers.

What I do is get a small zip loc baggie of them, add just a few drops and shake around in the bag. Then I dump them out onto paper and continue to shake the paper until they dry which only takes about a second or two. I just don't want them to stick together.

Then store.

For neat frosty effect, I spray with a clear sealant "gently" on the paper, shake and spray again.
JewishStamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Crimping Master
 
Curly Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,196
Default

I didn't know you could color Dew Drops, how cool is that!!

Pamela
Curly Chick is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 42
Default

I've made my own too out of 2 part epoxy mix and colorant. That way I can make larger shapes. If not I can use a dropper on a waxy surface, let dry, peel off the wax (or soak it off, depending on how the material reacts) and then I have larger shaped ones. I also have small molds that plastic artists use to make acrylic jewelry, although they are a bit big for cards, some work well for scrapbooking and larger craft items.
JewishStamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
Matboard Maniac
 
Harley Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hangin' out with Elvis in Memphis
Posts: 287
Default

Another vote for Alcohol inks here. I did a batch not too long ago and they turned out pretty good. I was trying to tell a friend about it and ended up taking a picture of the results and supplies used. I worked on the Teflon craft mat for easy clean up. On the left of the picture is a photo of the real thing. The tic tack containers are full of my home made versions.

Picture4004a.jpg
Harley Queen is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 42
Default

That is exactly what I did.

I can buy a 5+ lb bag of the dew drops for around $5.00. So I have a million different colors.

I also mix alcohol ink colors together to make different shades too.

The most expensive part is buying the alcohol inks and the storage containers. You could use mini zip locs too and that would make it cheaper - it just isnt as pretty
JewishStamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
Die Cut Diva
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,566
Default

HarleyQueen- I love how you store your Dew Drops. I am completely stealing that idea. ! I never need a lot of colors so I am always stumped on how to store my Dew Drops. I usually give up and just mix them all together.
__________________

lylacfey is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:25 AM   #12
Cardstock Collector
 
chilly S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 7
Default

great idea! How do you colour them with the inks? DO you just let them sit in the ink or do you apply it to each dew drop individually?

They look awesome!
chilly S is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #13
Pearl-ExPert
 
armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,990
Default

This is all interesting. Where do you buy a 5 pound bag of dew drops?
armadillo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #14
Matboard Maniac
 
Harley Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hangin' out with Elvis in Memphis
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilly SView Post
great idea! How do you colour them with the inks? DO you just let them sit in the ink or do you apply it to each dew drop individually?

They look awesome!
I use the teflon mat, toss a few onto it, and I use the applicator tool to gently pounce some color onto them. It couldn't be easier.
Harley Queen is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #15
Gabfest Goddess
 
NancyK.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pace, Florida
Posts: 7,415
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by armadilloView Post
This is all interesting. Where do you buy a 5 pound bag of dew drops?
You can find a bag of these at Michael's in the floral section.
__________________

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
NancyK. is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 AM   #16
Polyshrink Goddess
 
jkminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bountiful, utah
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley QueenView Post
Another vote for Alcohol inks here. I did a batch not too long ago and they turned out pretty good. I was trying to tell a friend about it and ended up taking a picture of the results and supplies used. I worked on the Teflon craft mat for easy clean up. On the left of the picture is a photo of the real thing. The tic tack containers are full of my home made versions.

Do you just put yours in a baggie with the alcohol ink? I love how yours look. I have those tic tac containers to store them in. Thanks for all the help everyone and thank you so much for the picture. I think its a beautiful picture.

Hugs
Jaunice
jkminor is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #17
Crimping Master
 
annie*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,161
Default

I have colored them a couple of times by taking a small baggie, dropping the Dew Drops in the bag, putting in a few (about 3 - 5) drops of Alcohol inks, shaking the bag until the Dew Drops are colored, dumping them out on a non-stick craft sheet and presto, you have colored Dew Drops. I have only done a few at a time, but I think you could just use a larger bag, more Dew Drops, and more ink to do a bunch at one time.

Not to hijack this thread, but I am very curious about your TicTac containers. Are they the actual breath mint containers, or did you purchase empty containers? For years I have been using something that looks similar to store my embellies. I was always able to buy a box full of them at Wal Mart, but when I needed some more I found that my local Wal Mart no longer carried them. I searched in every Wal Mart I could, but no luck. They don't seem to have them any more. I was bummed because they really work well in my storage system. I'd love to know another source for them.
annie* is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
Cardstock Collector
 
suzlameraux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JewishStamperView Post
That is exactly what I did.

I can buy a 5+ lb bag of the dew drops for around $5.00. So I have a million different colors.

I also mix alcohol ink colors together to make different shades too.

The most expensive part is buying the alcohol inks and the storage containers. You could use mini zip locs too and that would make it cheaper - it just isnt as pretty
Where do you find the dew drops in bulk? I'm in need of some and don't know where to get them.

Thanks!
Suz
suzlameraux is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
Die Cut Diva
 
babydal57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,662
Default

If you want more colors than are offered in the Tim Holtz alcohol ink range, I've very successfully used Copic marker reinkers to color dew drops.

But some in a ziploc, add a few drops of reinker, squish them around and lay them out flat to dry on foil (but a silpat/craft sheet would work too). I've done large quantities and the process is the same with a larger ziploc and more drops of reinker.
__________________
Deb

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
babydal57 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
Matboard Maniac
 
Harley Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hangin' out with Elvis in Memphis
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkminorView Post
Do you just put yours in a baggie with the alcohol ink? I love how yours look. I have those tic tac containers to store them in. Thanks for all the help everyone and thank you so much for the picture. I think its a beautiful picture.

Hugs
Jaunice
I was going to say that the baggie would probably work. Luckily annie and babydal57 have confirmed that this does work. I have yet to try it though. I use the Applicator with a felt pad and apply the color I want along with some blending solution.
Harley Queen is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #21
Matboard Maniac
 
Harley Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hangin' out with Elvis in Memphis
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post

Not to hijack this thread, but I am very curious about your TicTac containers. Are they the actual breath mint containers, or did you purchase empty containers? For years I have been using something that looks similar to store my embellies. I was always able to buy a box full of them at Wal Mart, but when I needed some more I found that my local Wal Mart no longer carried them. I searched in every Wal Mart I could, but no luck. They don't seem to have them any more. I was bummed because they really work well in my storage system. I'd love to know another source for them.
No I'm not a TicTac addict. No need for a 12 step program to ween me off of TicTacs. lol. Though I do enjoy having fresh minty breath now and then.

I picked these up at a couple of stores. WalMart used to carry them and I recently got one at Michael's or Joann's. Just look in the jewelry department. They're meant for bead storage, but I use them for just about any teeny tiny SB accessory that will fit into them. They come in packs of something like 24 that are stored in a larger clear box which measures about (hold on... turning around, grabbing a box and measuring....) 4 x 6 x 1 1/4 inches.
Harley Queen is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #22
Crimping Master
 
annie*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley QueenView Post
No I'm not a TicTac addict. No need for a 12 step program to ween me off of TicTacs. lol. Though I do enjoy having fresh minty breath now and then.

I picked these up at a couple of stores. WalMart used to carry them and I recently got one at Michael's or Joann's. Just look in the jewelry department. They're meant for bead storage, but I use them for just about any teeny tiny SB accessory that will fit into them. They come in packs of something like 24 that are stored in a larger clear box which measures about (hold on... turning around, grabbing a box and measuring....) 4 x 6 x 1 1/4 inches.
Funny! If I'm going to become addicted to any candy it is going to be chocolate for sure!! A kind SCS soul offered to go to her local Wal Mart store where they still stock this item and pick some up for me.... isn't that just the sweetest?!? I am glad to hear that maybe I can find them at Mikes or JoAnn's and avoid putting someone out on my behalf. Thanks for the info.
annie* is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off