Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2006, 07:04 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cuttlebug vs cricut

Hi Ladies,
Are you up for helping me make a decision? I got a CB for Christmas but the rest of the family got confused and gave me cricut cartridges instead of CB dies. Now instead of returning the cartridges (since receipts are MIA) my DB has offered to exchange my cuttlebug for a cricut.

I love the CB items I've seen in the gallery, how small it is, and how it takes all kinds of dies.
But what about the cricut, I know almost nothing about it. (other than the cartridges are cute)

thanks enablers!:mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 07:08 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month June 2012

Received 209 Likes on 118 Posts

I have both and love them both! I love the embossing feature of the cuttlebug and love the die cuts I can make using the cricut and then I combine them on my cards and scrapbook pages!! I have a couple *combined* cards using both cuttlebug and cricut in my gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I am definately a bug fan over the Cricut. I just like that you don't need power to operate it...or pricey cartridges. That's just my opinion though...I use both at Michaels when I teach all the time and I always find myself reaching for the Bug over the Cricut everytime.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Well, I'm gonna be no help 'cause I have both and think I *need* both of 'em! Really though, they do very different things. The Cuttlebug is a manual die-cutter and it will emboss -- it's great 'cause you can use so many different brands of dies in it and it WILL cut chipboard. The embossing feature is a huge plus on this baby!

The Cricut is an electronic die-cutter and it's awesome! I love the range of sizes you can cut on this. All those alphabets . . . itty bitty to 5+ inches tall. Plus the cartridges all come with some really cool features so there's tons of possible combinations on the cartridges. It won't, however, cut chipboard or emboss.

Really, to me, comparing the 2 machines is an apples and oranges thing. They're both a little bit alike (in that they're *die-cutting machines*) but the things you can do with each of 'em are vastly different. See why I needed both?!?! Good luck on your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 07:26 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

I recently got a Cuttlebug and love it for embossing, but haven't used it that much for die cutting as yet, so I offer this suggestion....take DB up on his offer to exchange the Cuttlebug for the Cricut, and then the next time there's a Michael's or Joann's 40% off coupons I'd used it for another Cuttlebug and an embossing folderor two, and then maybe on other special occasions you can get more dies for the Cricut as I believe the coupons are not usable on Cricut items. This way you'd end up with two great "tools".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 08:01 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

One thing: whomever is returning the item, be sure they are aware that Cricut costs quite a bit more than does the Cuttlebug. So if they exchange it, they might want to have a coupon handy.

I have a Cricut. It's an electronic cutter that does the work for you with its own cutting blade.

The Cuttlebug is a die cutting machine that is manually operated -- place a die + paper on the cutting plates, and roll it through by hand. I have a similar machine called Big Shot. I love it!

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #7  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I received both for Christmas.... I've played with both and have decided I'm keeping both. The cuttlebug is awesome for embossing and the dies are cute, plus you can use other dies if you have them.. it's a versitile machine.

Now the cricut was difficult to get adjusted at first (wasted quite a bit of paper figuring it out .. I think the instructions are a little off because SU! paper is so thick). BUT, when that baby started humming and working like a charm.. I fell in love instantly. The cartridge it comes with does quite a bit and is a great font. MIL gave me $$ for Christmas, so I'm going to buy the boxes and purses cartridge as soon as I can find it!

Anywho.. enough about me! I think you should take DB up on his offer like Sharon said. You can always pick up a bug ( I paid $50 for mine on sale). The folders and dies are reasonably priced and already on sale on several sites. The cricuit cartridges will go on sale as well as soon as demand / supply balance out.

Just my 2 cents!

Peace!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have both (as of yesterday) and think of the cricut as being especially good for alphabets. In one minute, you can cut out tons of letters. However, it requires electricity, has a big footprint, so I don't use it very often. I toyed with selling it, but I'm going to keep it. I think that I just need to make a point of taking it out and cutting out a bunch of words and letters to have on hand and then putting it back out of my way. If you scrapbook, the cricut is more worthwhile for sure.

The cuttlebug, however, embosses and I love that look. I'm not a huge fan making die cuts alphabets with anything but a cricut or other electronic machine -- it is just too slow, especially if you want to make a shadow for the word. However, the cuttlebug is so small I will leave it on my craft table and am likely to use it. At this point, I plan on only using it for embossing.

One more thing about the cricut, it has a USB port built in. This tells me that provo craft is planning on having this machine connect to your personal computer and I suspect that it will be amazing at that point!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
One more thing about the cricut, it has a USB port built in. This tells me that provo craft is planning on having this machine connect to your personal computer and I suspect that it will be amazing at that point!
Oh, Joan... thanks for that info. I haven't even played with mine enough to notice that (had it since summer). I do graphics design and if I could interface my computer to the Cricut... well that would just be too much to hope for!

I also have the CB and I love it! I've definitely been using the CB the most, but who knows what the future may hold.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 06:51 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

bump!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 06:54 AM   #11  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

www.creativexpress.com has cartridges for $49 right now.. not sure how long it will last.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I think that I just need to make a point of taking it out and cutting out a bunch of words and letters to have on hand and then putting it back out of my way. If you scrapbook, the cricut is more worthwhile for sure.

The cuttlebug, however, embosses and I love that look. I'm not a huge fan making die cuts alphabets with anything but a cricut or other electronic machine -- it is just too slow, especially if you want to make a shadow for the word. However, the cuttlebug is so small I will leave it on my craft table and am likely to use it. At this point, I plan on only using it for embossing.
THis is so helpful. it was my general feeling all along. I don't use dies very much, never have. But am sick of cutting out stamped letters or running back and forth to the computer. Maybe by the time the USB port is up and runing with cricut, I'll have a computer in my crafting space.

I was asking this question yesterday - cricut over cuttlebug in this forum..cuttlebug ittis Everyone there seemed to think cuttlebug was the way to go...which I'm sure it's great, but sounds like since all I want is to do letters (at least for now) cricut really is the way to go.

Look at Me! Look at Me!

Stamp and Be Happy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Okay, I'm going to jump in here with my vote. I vote for the Cricut. As of now I don't feel the need for a Cuttlebug. That is mostly because I like to stamp my cards and use diecuts for scrapbooking. I don't think the Cricut takes up too much space either. I have it right on my stamp table in my office and I love it there. Also, you can use fonts or shapes, depending on the cartridge. You can make any of those 1" - 5 1/2 ". With the CB you only have one size in the die cuts. Also, I think the price for me would end up being more with a CB because I would want ALL the dies and folders. Each alphabet is around $59 and can only be used in the size it was made. With the Cricut for $49-59 I can make a ZILLION different alphabets, tags, or shapes because of the Creative Features buttons and sizes. Each cartridge comes with 6 Creative Features including tags, circles, etc. Which means that with each shape or alphabet I can make in those CF. It's really cool!!!

I just wanted to throw out my opinion. I think cost-wise they are comparable, except for the initial machine but the CB does not come with any dies or folders and you get one with the Cricut.

Good luck deciding!
Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

So, what size paper feeds through the cricut? Will a full 12 x 12 fit?

Also, I'm seeing a couple of things about the Michaels coupons...can you or can't you use them on the Cricut machine and cartriges?

Look at Me! Look at Me!

Stamp and Be Happy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Oh, and also, I've seen it at Wal-Mart for $169!!!

Look at Me! Look at Me!

Stamp and Be Happy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

That's a tough call. I have a sizzix, so can't see buying a bug, but I bought my mom one for Christmas and really like it. I'll just use the dies on my sizzix though.

I got a cricut for Christmas with 2 cartridges and love it. I love the variety in size and that I can cut shadows, outlines, etc... whenever I'd buy die cuts in the store to layer, they never had the colors I wanted, so this is great.

I think you should look at whether you want to emboss or cut. Cut = cricut, emboss = bug....b/c I'm much more impressed with the images in the cricut than the cutting images for the bug...I would most likely only use it for embossing.

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:11 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for posting this, I've been wondering too! I think Cuttlebug is a winner for me... Now just to buy one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by neece
One thing: whomever is returning the item, be sure they are aware that Cricut costs quite a bit more than does the Cuttlebug. So if they exchange it, they might want to have a coupon handy.

I have a Cricut. It's an electronic cutter that does the work for you with its own cutting blade.

The Cuttlebug is a die cutting machine that is manually operated -- place a die + paper on the cutting plates, and roll it through by hand. I have a similar machine called Big Shot. I love it!

HTH!
Oh, duh! I meant to say if they exchange, they might want to have some extra MONEY handy. Must have had coupons on the brain when I replied! LOL None of the stores I'm aware of will accept coupons on Cricut any longer. My bad!

~Neece
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Not that my .02 makes any difference, but if the following assists anybody in choosing the right machine for their needs, here are some thoughts . . . ;)

The pro's of a manual machine (Big Shot by Ellison/Cuttlebug by Provo Craft/newly released SideKick by Sizzix/Ellison):
  1. Require no electricity
  2. Require no computerized parts
  3. Relatively small footprint
  4. Easily portable
  5. Depending on the dies used, can cut through not only card stock, but lightweight chipboard, coaster material, felt, fun foam, thin metals, polyshrink, stencil plastic, acetate, cork sheet, fabric, etc.
  6. Can flatten multiple uncrowned bottlecaps or can set multiple eyelets, all in one fell swoop, no hammer necessary.
  7. Ability to pressure (a.k.a. dry) emboss with appropriate embossing folders or stencils
The pro's of the Cricut machine:
  1. No manual labor required
  2. Cricut Cartidges (I don't know about other systems), have a huge array of shapes and sizes per cartridge for die cutting, including some pretty spiffy boxes and purses, and other similar type containers from card stock
  3. The machine can be used completely independently of a computer, but it seems that eventually, you will be able to have the option to use both it and/or cartridges. That could be very, very cool, if so.
I couldn't afford two machines, and, at this time, the versatility of the manual machines was more in keeping with what my crafting needs were; the Cricut is also still too high-priced (for me), without enough versatility for the buck, if that make sense? At this point, I'd have to get a really *sweet* deal on it; I don't think that's gonna happen for quite a while yet . . .

I must admit, however, that the idea of having a machine that can die cut containers for me is *hugely* appealing, and the personal manual die cutting systems aforementioned do not have dies that can accomodate making boxes actually large enough to really put anything into . . . (they're pretty stinkin' cute miniatures, LOL!, BUT, unfortunately, they would hold, at best, a chocolate kiss inside and that's it! :? )

I ended up with a Big Shot, after analyzing it all.

Last edited by JulieHRR; 12-29-2006 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Added one more pro for manual machines to the list! (wink!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Default Circut

I read all of your replys, but still don't know what to do my DH bought me a circut for x-mas debateing on taking it back not sure if I will use it that much allso got 2 catridges from DB&SIL not sure what to do they all said if I wanted to take back they where o.k. with it. What would you all do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by holo3850
I read all of your replys, but still don't know what to do my DH bought me a circut for x-mas debateing on taking it back not sure if I will use it that much allso got 2 catridges from DB&SIL not sure what to do they all said if I wanted to take back they where o.k. with it. What would you all do?
I'd keep them!!! It, again, depends on what you would be using them for. With 3 cartridges you might not ever need to buy another one again! Unless, you are like me, and have to have them all!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

I sound like you I will have to have them all LOL thanks for the reply
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by holo3850
Well, that's different! ;) If I had received a Cricut as a GIFT, PLUS cartridges as a GIFT, I'd see if the cartridges had those cool die cut boxes/purses on 'em, personally speaking.

If not, I'd exchange the cartridges for the ones that have all the cool boxes/purses on 'em, and I'd KEEP the machine.
:mrgreen:

And, then, I'd go look for a good deal and buy a manual machine to have on hand, too . . . heh, heh, heh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

The cricut can only accommodate paper that is 6" x 12" (asked above). I have the tags and boxes cartridge and the boxes that it creates are not that big. Remember that the box cuts out flat and then has to be folded, and one side flat can't be bigger than 51/2". Granted, I only tried one thing on that cartridge and I really need to get out the cricut and try more before making sweeping pronouncements. Just something to think about.

I have an extra day off from work next Tuesday (federal gov't closed due to Pres. Ford's funeral). If I get a chance I will cut up some boxes and post them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I have the tags and boxes cartridge and the boxes that it creates are not that big. Remember that the box cuts out flat and then has to be folded, and one side flat can't be bigger than 51/2".
That is one reason I am not getting that cartridge. I'm not a big "box" maker and they are really small. They are cute, though.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

The cricut can only accommodate paper that is 6" x 12" (asked above). I have the tags and boxes cartridge and the boxes that it creates are not that big. Remember that the box cuts out flat and then has to be folded, and one side flat can't be bigger than 51/2". Granted, I only tried one thing on that cartridge and I really need to get out the cricut and try more before making sweeping pronouncements. Just something to think about.

I have an extra day off from work next Tuesday (federal gov't closed due to Pres. Ford's funeral). If I get a chance I will cut up some boxes and post them.
Oh. I didn't realize that, Joan! I just assumed the boxes the Cricut cut would be considerably larger than the BS ones . . . :( So, the feed on the Cricut is a max of 6" wide, then?

So far, I've just been using my Coluzzle Take Out Box, and I like it, and was considering getting a few more similar templates--just because, all things considered, they are relatively less expensive than going any other route . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

The cricut can only accommodate paper that is 6" x 12" (asked above). I have the tags and boxes cartridge and the boxes that it creates are not that big. Remember that the box cuts out flat and then has to be folded, and one side flat can't be bigger than 51/2".

That's good to know. I was envisioning a huge paper box. Too bad:rolleyes:

It is good, though, that it will take up to 12 inches long.

Does anyone know of any printer that can take 12x12 paper? That would be worth big bucks in my opinion.

Look at Me! Look at Me!

Stamp and Be Happy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngowen
That's good to know. I was envisioning a huge paper box. Too bad:rolleyes:

It is good, though, that it will take up to 12 inches long.

Does anyone know of any printer that can take 12x12 paper? That would be worth big bucks in my opinion.
I believe there is a 12x12 printer by HP. I think it is around $300-400. I can't remember right now but I was looking into one about a year ago. I'm going to wait until the price goes down.

I also love the the Cricut can make 11 inch borders. Makes some really cute scrapbook pages!! In fact, I just finished a two page spread!!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps
I believe there is a 12x12 printer by HP. I think it is around $300-400. I can't remember right now but I was looking into one about a year ago. I'm going to wait until the price goes down.

I also love the the Cricut can make 11 inch borders. Makes some really cute scrapbook pages!! In fact, I just finished a two page spread!!!

Robyn

Cool! I saw one once and it was a professional printer that could print up to 17 inches...way more than I need and WAAAYYY more than I could afford.

Have you posted any of your sb pages with the cricut?

Look at Me! Look at Me!

Stamp and Be Happy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

there are definitely printers for 12 x 12 paper. I researched them a while back. I think I found about 4 of them on line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 03:59 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all your ideas everyone! Of course now I just want both!!
I think I'll hang onto the cricut cartridges for now and see if I spot a great deal on a cricut. I am going to keep the CB because I LOVE the dry embossing!
The uploads are so pretty, and it seems much for cost effective than the light box method. (Besides being so much quicker!)
Has anyone used the SU brass dies in it? Or are they too big?

plus (half joking) the CB is portable for scrapping with friends, and green.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 05:21 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngowen
Have you posted any of your sb pages with the cricut?
I will do that today. They are pretty simple but OH so cute!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Someone above said Wal Mart had them for $169. If so, that's a great deal - scoop it up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by caitlinstamps
Thanks for all your ideas everyone! Of course now I just want both!!
I think I'll hang onto the cricut cartridges for now and see if I spot a great deal on a cricut. I am going to keep the CB because I LOVE the dry embossing!
The uploads are so pretty, and it seems much for cost effective than the light box method. (Besides being so much quicker!)
Has anyone used the SU brass dies in it? Or are they too big?

plus (half joking) the CB is portable for scrapping with friends, and green.:mrgreen:
Straight on!!! What could be more important than that key factor???? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:48 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris McGinn
Someone above said Wal Mart had them for $169. If so, that's a great deal - scoop it up!
You know, I would be seriously tempted at that price, but someone mentioned that the die cut boxes/purses are actually pretty small . . . and if the Cricut's feed is only 6" wide, then, it stands to reason that the boxes will more than likely be the same sizes as the Big Shot dies I thought I wanted, until I realized how tiny those boxes were (saw the finished boxes IRL, and they are so cute, but waaay too tiny to be of any real use) . . . so, even at that price . . . I can't bite cuz that's all I personally would really want it for.

I'm anxious to see Robyn's pages, tho--they sound just lovely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:55 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I'm anxious to see Robyn's pages, tho--they sound just lovely!
I've uploaded them on another thread. They are pretty simple!! Not my best work but so much fun!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps
I've uploaded them on another thread. They are pretty simple!! Not my best work but so much fun!!

Robyn
Ooooh! where, Robyn? Can ya' link me up? :grin: Or are they in your gallery (already scurrying over there as I speak . . . ) ????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

In my gallery. Hope you like!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes